Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    it's a fucking +14... you encounter grievous at +7... he's just bad at the game and rage quit his own key because he thinks holy priests can't heal grievous...
    How does that change the fact that you've let down your friend (and everyone else in the group) by not explaining a simple thing when you had the opportunity to do so?
    Communication is an important part of player skill in a multiplayer game. If you had the chance to communicate to make the run easier for everyone else (and you didn't), you're a bad player.

you don't know him...
    But I know that managing a mechanic is easier if you know how it works. I also know that it's nice to have friends that are actually helpful You sure he was your friend? Because it sure doesn't sound like he was...

dude... he fucking said in bfa that you can't heal a +15 kr as resto druid... i told him "lay it off, i just healed it on +17 just half an hour ago as resto"... his response was "how much did you pay for the boost?"... if he thinks something then it is so... he doesn't admit he's wrong...
    Yeah, of course.
    All I'm saying is that it's not nice to make fun of friends who don't know how Grievous works, when you don't know how the thing in your mouth called tongue works.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Dude how can grievous be difficult to learn? It’s difficult to manage, but to learn? People have to be topped or near to topped all the time, end of grievous mechanic.
    Man, the number of dps I've seen standing in sanguine this week......

"Why am I dying?!?!?! Where are my heals!!!!"

*Links damage taken/death log*

"This healer sucks"

Several times I've seen this this week. And whats really amazing, is often, its a ranged class bitching.

Edit:
    And the above is with people all at or above 1200io.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2021-05-14 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    As far as I understand, this guy didn't understand the mechanic and you didn't even bother to explain. In my book, you're the bigger culprit. But yeah, "He was so bad there was no point explaining". Why then, did you even step into the dungeon with him?
    See there's the social construct... You can hold friends accountable to their actions (or lack of action in this case) but you couldn't do that in a PuG scenario because of the lack of a social construct.

But to be honest, yeah I would have commented over discord like hey I still have grievous stacks are you healer going to remove them or do I need to sit and eat between pulls?
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

7+ Year Old Account
    A scenario that always, and I mean ALWAYS, cracks me up in these threads:
    Placing more responsibility on a secondary party for teaching a mechanic rather than on a primary party for learning. Somehow, to some people here, you're the more toxic person for not teaching someone mechanics rather than holding the person who doesn't know the mechanics responsible. What kind of backwards logic is that?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Placing more responsibility on a secondary party for teaching a mechanic rather than on a primary party for learning. Somehow, to some people here, you're the more toxic person for not teaching someone mechanics rather than holding the person who doesn't know the mechanics responsible. What kind of backwards logic is that?
    I've never called him toxic - just bad friend & bad player. If you're able to prevent multiple wipes by making a simple comment over discord, you SHOULD do it. Communicating is part of an MMO experience - players who can't communicate are universally worse than players who can (and do when it benefits the group). The logic here is simple: other people's mistakes don't absolve you from your own guilt. Read my comment above about modern MMO players going into dungeons with unfounded assumptions. You can blabla all you want about "the need to learn before you step into group content" - fact of the matter is, some people won't be on your level and if you can help the group by communication, that's also your responisibility. If you prefer to play in silence... you should play with bots, not people (and I bet many people would actually prefer that).
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2021-05-14 at 03:48 PM.

It's not my job to teach people in 14+ keys very basic dungeon AND class mechanics. Those people should not be allowed to be inside any content without learning the freakin basics first. It's not hard, doesn't cost more than 20 minutes to learn class basics. Not learning basics first is more toxic than kicking those people out, or leaving runs with those. It does cost 4 other human beings their valuable time because one single person does not want to invest 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    It's not my job to teach people in 14+ keys very basic dungeon AND class mechanics. Those people should not be allowed to be inside any content without learning the freakin basics first. It's not hard, doesn't cost more than 20 minutes to learn class basics. Not learning basics first is more toxic than kicking those people out, or leaving runs with those. It does cost 4 other human beings their valuable time because one single person does not want to invest 20 minutes.
    Clearly, you're an example of the player type I'm talking about. "It doesn't cost a lot to learn", yet it costs you too much to explain (even if it would take much, much less than 20 minutes). Decency, comradeship - do those terms ring any bells? No? Yes, it's not your job to teach people basics; as it's not your job to be a kind human being. But does it have to be your job, for you to actually try to be one? For you, the 4 people you group with are problably nothing more than means to an end, right? Well then, I guess I'd had zero sympathy if somebody ruined your run.

Clearly, you're an example of the player type I'm talking about. "It doesn't cost a lot to learn", yet it costs you too much to explain (even if it would take much, much less than 20 minutes). Decency, comradeship - do those terms ring any bells? No? Yes, it's not your job to teach people basics; as it's not your job to be a kind human being. But does it have to be your job, for you to actually try to be one? For you, the 4 people you group with are problably nothing more than means to an end, right? Well then, I guess I'd had zero sympathy if somebody ruined your run.
    Mythic plus isn't the place for that... mythic 0 is. Why are you acting like the very end of the game is the tutorial?

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never called him toxic - just bad friend & bad player. If you're able to prevent multiple wipes by making a simple comment over discord, you SHOULD do it. Communicating is part of an MMO experience - players who can't communicate are universally worse than players who can (and do when it benefits the group). The logic here is simple: other people's mistakes don't absolve you from your own guilt. Read my comment above about modern MMO players going into dungeons with unfounded assumptions. You can blabla all you want about "the need to learn before you step into group content" - fact of the matter is, some people won't be on your level and if you can help the group by communication, that's also your responisibility. If you prefer to play in silence... you should play with bots, not people (and I bet many people would actually prefer that).
    If you were taking my comment personally....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    It's not my job to teach people in 14+ keys very basic dungeon AND class mechanics.
    -- snip--
    Did you think I was saying otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    That’s the right question. I was recently flamed for not being able to keep people alive in a 14 necrotic wake, when my total hps through Blightbone was 6.5k and the tank was chain pulling so I never got a drink. Pugs are real bad at determining responsibility for fails.
    Indeed. I mean grievous or not, if healer went oom, he healed something. If your dps are not potatoes you can survive that much without a healer just by killing shit and using your cds.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Mythic plus isn't the place for that... mythic 0 is. Why are you acting like the very end of the game is the tutorial?
    Lets get one thing straight here: people with that mindset won't explain in m0 either, because their time is "too precious" - take my word on that, I've seen elitist behaviour in low level mythics as often as I did in ~mid level ones (I myself don't play above 20, so can't comment on that part of the playerbase). If anything, they will flame you for being "so shit you can't even do a stupid m0".

Now back to the point: why exactly not? A player with some semblance of skill can level up the key, never encountering some of the affixes; there's no "m+ training ground" in the game, so if you don't play regularly and miss some weeks, you can actually play for months without seeing some of them if you're a new player. But even if you think they should learn somehow, somewhere: You're in the damn dungeon already, and you see the guy doesn't know what to do, and you're on discord with him. In what world is it better to sit quiet for 5 pulls and wipe instead of making a simple comment? Please, explain.

EDIT: Oh, and it's actually not m0, as m0 doesn't have affixes. Things like the seasonal affix, you can't even learn below 10.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2021-05-14 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of backwards logic is that?
    It's one thing to have a "learning" run versus a "completion/push" run especially for M+. In the former, sure we can take the time to teach and others can take the time to learn but the in later, the expectation is that the players should already have prior knowledge (and hopefully prior experience).

But how are players supposed to learn? Well if they don't take shortcuts and actually run M+ multiple times from +2 to +15 (or higher) incrementing only +1 each a round (with a round consisting of doing the entire world tour of dungeons), then gradually players learn the nuanced details of each dungeon. Additionally, there are also additional sources from wowhead to mythic trap to youtube to twitch streamers. Even the MDI offers some strategies that could be adopted for non-MDI players.

But that's a lot of work, why can't I just jump from a +2 to a +7/+8 to a +10 to a +15? Sure you can do so but at the danger of lacking both knowledge and experience which will probably lead to more frustration as failures increase. Failures being defined here as missing or not handling a mechanic. Some failures can be covered by exceptional players but eventually the thresholds of small failures will lead to the timer expiring and may lead other folks to leave before the dungeon is finished.
    ---
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    It's one thing to have a "learning" run versus a "completion/push" run especially for M+. In the former, sure we can take the time to teach and others can take the time to learn but the in later, the expectation is that the players should already have prior knowledge (and hopefully prior experience).

But how are players supposed to learn? Well if they don't take shortcuts and actually run M+ multiple times from +2 to +15 (or higher) incrementing only +1 each a round (with a round consisting of doing the entire world tour of dungeons), then gradually players learn the nuanced details of each dungeon. Additionally, there are also additional sources from wowhead to mythic trap to youtube to twitch streamers. Even the MDI offers some strategies that could be adopted for non-MDI players.

But that's a lot of work, why can't I just jump from a +2 to a +7/+8 to a +10 to a +15? Sure you can do so but at the danger of lacking both knowledge and experience which will probably lead to more frustration as failures increase. Failures being defined here as missing or not handling a mechanic. Some failures can be covered by exceptional players but eventually the thresholds of small failures will lead to the timer expiring and may lead other folks to leave before the dungeon is finished.
    What the fuck does this have to do with what I said? Or maybe you misquoted me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets get one thing straight here: people with that mindset won't explain in m0 either, because their time is "too precious"
    Again it depends on the goals of the group. If I'm advertising a "+12 push" then the expectation is that players applying should know what to do and know the dungeon well enough. Part of r.io score's appeal is that it does give a rough sense that if someone has sufficiently high enough score and high enough keys done in time in XYZ bracket, then they know the dungeon, know the affixes and know their role.

Alternatively, if I advertise a group run "+10 LEARNING", then I expect players who apply to realize that this group will be going slower. Probably will have semi-long pauses as we explain mechanics or provide strategies. In general, this run might take a hour but that's ok because we're training/teaching someone about it.

there's no "m+ training ground" in the game, so if you don't play regularly and miss some weeks, you can actually play for months without seeing some of them if you're a new player. But even if you think they should learn somehow, somewhere
    Numerous resources online. If a player is new to M+ (or raiding or PvP), shouldn't the responsibility be on that new player to do some research ahead of time? Yeah it's a game but who hasn't gone online before to look up something on wowhead or check youtube for a solution to a game puzzle/mechanic?

And while experience is valuable, it would at the very least be considerate for new players to factor in the valued time of their party members. For instance, I just got a new toon up to level 60 and this week's is Emissary of War and I was presented with the option to go on this alt in some M+ or even some M0. However, I took a hard look and said nope, not on this alt who isn't even properly geared. The drag on the group (even at M+0) IMO would be too much so I opted out and brought in a better geared alt for those runs.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck does this have to do with what I said? Or maybe you misquoted me.
    Somehow, to some people here, you're the more toxic person for not teaching someone mechanics rather than holding the person who doesn't know the mechanics responsible.
    In reference to toxicity of not teaching, it depends on the goals of the group: In a completion/push advertised group, the expectation is prior knowledge (and hopefully prior experience). There's no "time" to take and pause to explain during the run.
    ---

7+ Year Old Account
    In reference to toxicity of not teaching, it depends on the goals of the group: In a completion/push advertised group, the expectation is prior knowledge (and hopefully prior experience). There's no "time" to take and pause to explain during the run.
    Again, not what I was talking about.

Again it depends on the goals of the group. If I'm advertising a "+12 push" then the expectation is that players applying should know what to do and know the dungeon well enough. Part of r.io score's appeal is that it does give a rough sense that if someone has sufficiently high enough score and high enough keys done in time in XYZ bracket, then they know the dungeon, know the affixes and know their role.

Alternatively, if I advertise a group run "+10 LEARNING", then I expect players who apply to realize that this group will be going slower. Probably will have semi-long pauses as we explain mechanics or provide strategies. In general, this run might take a hour but that's ok because we're training/teaching someone about it.
    That's in a perfect world where people actually communicate stuff - and often they don't, most keys in the LFG tool are "15+" or the like (personally, never seen a "learning" key, and I do m+ quite a bit). Then, you have people who are supposedly ok with wipes when you invite them, and who leave after a wipe or two. I mean, I agree with everything you wrote - yet I feel like we live in two different worlds. For things to work the way you're laying out here, people have to communicate - and the entire discussion started, for me, with a post of a guy who wiped 5 times with his friend (being with him on discord!) and didn't say a word, while maintaining he knew well enough what was the cause of failure. Don't you see the root of the problem?

And what it boils down to is, really, a bit of human decency. You can't reasonably expect that players will be on the same page all the time, that they will always communicate their needs clearly enough - so, yeah, sometimes you will encounter that guy who's not doing what he's supposed to do, even though, in your mind, he should. And you know what: just drop that run if you really want to. But to stay with the guy for 5 pulls and allow for 5 wipes, without saying a word - just to crack jokes about him on mmo-champ? Wow. Just wow. Shows rather clearly where real problems lie.

So yeah, you can make educated posts about things like m+ level, expected player skill & knowledge and what not, but in the end, it's mostly about not being a prick. It's really as simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    The dude to whom I replied said that grievous was a difficult mechanic to understand. It’s not. It’s hard to MANAGE, but mechanic itself is straight forward. For example I know what Stradama tentacles do, but I just ger caught. That’s ok, but you can’t tell me in a 15 that you have no idea of what tentacles do.

I refuse to believe that someone has difficulty in understanding how grievous works. I instead can fully understand that people have issues in dealing with it, this is “intended”.
    The dude you replied to (me) absolutely did not say grievous was a difficult mechanic to learn.

I don't think anyone has claimed understanding it was difficult. People have only commented that some people don't understand it, and that for some it is a hard affix.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Honestly, disagree. Maybe at the very start of the expansion, m0 was better but nowadays, low keys are a much better learning environment. Stuff dies so fast in a zero that if you are running it to learn mechanics you're not going to get any sense of them, and some you'll miss entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    How bad the damage has to be for the trash packs to live so long that healer goes oom? I mean if you try it would be hard unless your dps is that bad or tank is just letting mobs swim in sang.
    To be fair, it is sanguine week and with some places with difficult to move caster mobs means you can end up DPSing some mobs from full to dead a second time. Even an experienced tank can have it happen sometimes if you just get unlucky, but if anyone is a learning tank who doesn't have a ton of practice with sanguine, the DPS could be dealing with a lot of healing this week, which in turn is going to burden the healer. (but also yeah in midrange keys, subpar dps isn't abnormal either)
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-05-14 at 05:45 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

In a timed(!) dungeon run, where exactly do you have the time to tell someone the BASICS of their class? Tell me, pls.
    I use my time best I can, so I want the other to do the same - if they do not the value of other peoples time, they are nothing more than ignorant and toxic.

- - - Updated - - -

Snip
    In addition, I talk mostly about class basics. Dungeon basics take a bit longer than just 20 minutes.
    Everyone has to learn his character OUTSIDE of TIMED content first.
    If you do not have any clue about the dungeon, don't go into a freakin 14. Go lower keys and learn the dungeon, like everyone else did.

These people are the worst "oh, I don't care for the other people, I don't need to know simple stuff, doesn't matter if I die 10 times in one dungeon lol".

Timed content is NOT meant to be the content you learn basics inside.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-05-14 at 06:01 PM.