Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    It will easily take 20 hours if you explore every single room and make it from red color into blue color. But most people dont even care about exploring throughly which is why they felt the game is not that long.
    Well, I like to take it slow (and stealth as much as I can, no running around guns blazing, I need to conserve resources) and it took me 14 hours (with some AFKing, dunno whether the timer ticks when on pause) on the first run (on Hardcore), which I ended only missing 2 files, 1 goat, 1 hidden treasure, 1 piece of the necklace and the Vârcolac Alfa IIRC, maybe another of those multi-piece treasures or something minor I can't remember. I haven't tried Village of Shadow yet, did a second Hardcore run first, and I never use the infinite ammo "cheats" you can get for CPs, so I'd wager it'll take longer, but not by much (sure it's supposedly going to be more difficult, but I already remember most of what I have to do and I have some good weapons upgraded and the recipes done, so that'll factor in). It definitely doesn't feel like a 20 hour game, not to a RE veteran and not on lower difficulties at least, but who knows, maybe Village of Shadows will prove me wrong.

That being said I'm not complaining, game length doesn't equal quality to me, I really liked the two runs and I can easily see myself doing a lot more once I cool off and forget about some stuff (the second run was less enjoyable because I did it immediately after the first one and I remembered almost everything, including some of the "jump-scare" mob spawn locations - getting that last goat was very satisfying though). Hopefully some good DLC (not the multiplayer BS, I couldn't care less in a RE game) will be released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

My copy updates last night. This weekend...I play!!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Also, anybody want a standalone Albert Wesker game that shows a zombie outbreak from the badguy POV only?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-05-14 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    You should only really play 7. None of the previous titles "really" matter that much although there are loose connections to everything. 7-8 are kind of their own stories and while there is a catch me up thing when you boot the game up (in cinematic form, detailing 7), you will get much more from the story if you play through 7.

That's not to say you wouldn't be served playing the previous ones at all, but you'll get 99% of the story just by playing 7.

As far as who is approaching at the end Even if people zoomed in and it was Ethan, I guess we will really have to wait to find out? It could've just been a stock image they threw in for the fun of it to confuse people, or it could just be Rose imagining her father because she's essentially the last real byproduct of the Megamycete. I wouldn't be surprised if she lives and feels the memories of everything that took place before her.
    Doubt it's a stock asset. They could've used one of the villagers for that if that's the case... instead they spent the time doing up his face for that lil snippet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    20 hour game?
    My first thorough playthrough took me 14 hours.

I’d describe it as an above average entry. A good, but not great RE game. Tbh, 7 was a much better horror game (even if the final chapter goes off the rails)

At no point in re8 was I even a little scared or creeped out. It plays like an action game, flooding you with supplies. It’s very much a theme park pseudo horror game where the village is the hub and you pay to ride the scares in each section, and it gets painfully predictable

Also, the bosses suck except for the first one and they marketed her as if she was the main baddie when she’s basically insignificant

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I’d describe it as an above average entry. A good, but not great RE game. Tbh, 7 was a much better horror game (even if the final chapter goes off the rails)

At no point in re8 was I even a little scared or creeped out. It plays like an action game, flooding you with supplies. It’s very much a theme park pseudo horror game where the village is the hub and you pay to ride the scares in each section, and it gets painfully predictable

Also, the bosses suck except for the first one and they marketed her as if she was the main baddie when she’s basically insignificant
    So the second section is not scary at all while not able to use any weapons there and the only option is to hide or run. Somehow you convienantly didnt even bother to mention it in your post? sometimes I question some players if they are playing the samw game as us? haha

So the second section is not scary at all while not able to use any weapons there and the only option is to hide or run. Somehow you convienantly didnt even bother to mention it in your post? sometimes I question some players if they are playing the samw game as us? haha
    It's fun to watch videos of people's first foray into that section, that damn baby still fucks with me watching other people

Played on hardcore. Hardest part of the game is running from the monsters in the opening. That took me way tooo many tries. Rest of the game even being terrible with controller is pretty easy. Bosses take a few tries. Sometimes running out ammo can make something harder.

Fun game. Iffy mechanics some times. First half of the game is way better than the last half. Which is like 3-6 hours of action. Felt like to much even in a RE.

Downsides:
    Boring exploration. Nothing secret all really on rails and you'll hit most things and anything hidden is super obvious and marked on the map.

Shop is as basic as it gets. It's just added to waste time. There's no choice, you can afford everything you want and attachments you just use.
    You don't feel any extra damage because enemies are huge sponges. You don't notice 6 shots instead of 7.

The food upgrades are all marked on the map and easy to get all of them. So that really feels useless.

Really stupidly easy puzzles. If your older than 5 you should be able to solve most of them in under a min. Also puzzles are all self contained... besides the odd item you have to use 30 seconds later.

7.8/10

Woulda be a 8.7 if it had better exploration, harder puzzles and the game mixed in more of the first half of the game into the last half.

Coulda been a 9+ if they did all of the above. Made the store actually matter and give you less ammo and make shots count.
    Less bullet sponge and more needing to actually aim.
    Even on hardcore you could have 60% accuracy and still have plenty of ammo.
    Last edited by Drench; 2021-05-14 at 07:16 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What RE game is the same throughout? None of them have the same cadence and pace at the end, every single one of them opens up at the end and becomes self-described 'action'. The fourth section is the only one with any heavy action from my play throughs (and it's just a couple sections before you head into the real fourth section). How can you say that you sometimes run out of ammo in your analysis at the start, only to say that you could have terrible accuracy and still have plenty of ammo? Isn't that completely contradictory? I don't really buy the action vibe in the game aside from the fourth section, and the part after you kill the fourth boss, but considering the whole point of the final act it's sort of obvious it's going to be that way.

It's more action than RE0-RE3 and RE7, but it's still no where even remotely close to RE4-RE6. It's pretty much firmly in some weird space between the originals and RE4-RE6 as far as action oriented goes.

While I collected pretty much everything, in no world could you actually afford to buy everything and upgrade anything. If you wanted to fully upgrade the Magnum you pretty much have to forgo upgrading anything else in the entire game, while pretty much finding everything.

Aiming still matters a great deal and if you made aiming the only primary focus in an RE game you would have to rebalance the entire game. To illustrate, if you literally could pop zombies with a few well placed rounds to the head as opposed to 7-10 shots (not counting random head pops) you would need to have far more zombies to have any sort of challenge, which would literally cement the game into more of an 'action' focused game, moving it far more into the realm of an FPS style game. The OG series from RE0-RE3 had you cement yourself in a general direction and blast away, with zero aiming, the only real aiming was if you got close enough to force some decapitations with the shot gun (which is still pretty likely to happen in both RE7-RE8).

The games infrastructure isn't really meant to cause massive backtracking, which is why a lot of the puzzles are self-contained in the area they're found in. The only real main hub in the game is the village and there's plenty of backtracking throughout the village as you enter it several times throughout your session, slowly having areas unlock up as more key items become available to you. The same goes for areas on the outskirts of village with key items too. Do you really backtrack through the four main boss sections? No, not really, but they give you reason to backtrack in all of them when you finish them or are about to finish them.

Personally I thought the way they handled backtracking in this game was pretty good, and not really annoying. While I have fond memories of the mansion and police station in RE1/RE2, those were meant to be the main hub of the game that you spent all of your time. RE8, as put is a bit more theme park with it's areas, but it's main "hub" is the village itself and there's lots to unlock as you finish each main area. Allowing you to go back to the castle when you're nearly done the game to unlock something would feel a bit off, and I don't think that style of gameplay is needed in every single RE game (plenty of them lock you out of previous areas once you hit certain thresholds).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's fun to watch videos of people's first foray into that section, that damn baby still fucks with me watching other people
    Hahaha yeah! the first time I did that section I was like "welcome back Silent Hill?"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The sound in the game is really top notch. Half that section in the second area is 100% because of the music and sound that accompanies that encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The sound in the game is really top notch. Half that section in the second area is 100% because of the music and sound that accompanies that encounter.
    Oh lord yes, that sound that IT makes just makes you shiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    Played on hardcore. Hardest part of the game is running from the monsters in the opening. That took me way tooo many tries. Rest of the game even being terrible with controller is pretty easy. Bosses take a few tries. Sometimes running out ammo can make something harder.
    (snip)
    Shop is as basic as it gets. It's just added to waste time. There's no choice, you can afford everything you want and attachments you just use.
    You don't feel any extra damage because enemies are huge sponges. You don't notice 6 shots instead of 7.
    (snip)
    Coulda been a 9+ if they did all of the above. Made the store actually matter and give you less ammo and make shots count.
    Less bullet sponge and more needing to actually aim.
    Even on hardcore you could have 60% accuracy and still have plenty of ammo.
    I can't help but notice some inconsistencies. Also, it's literally impossible (unless you cheat) to make "extensive use of the store" and "get everything you want" - I'm assuming you're talking about upgrades since you mentioned attachments immediately afterwards. And upgrades do matter, it's not gonna be 6 shots instead of 7 when weapon power goes up by 70% on the base magnum and by 150% (!) on the sniper rifle, not to mention DPS for fast-fire weapons. You will notice a seemingly measly 25% power increase if the rate of fire goes up by 60%. If you didn't feel any extra damage you either didn't upgrade your weapons or we're playing a different game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Aw man, I LOVE this game. First play through about 30 hours. I started my second on Hardcore with a Dragoon and limitless ammo - OH YEAH.

Plus, how fucking gorgeous is this game? It's absolutely beautiful with most settings maxed out and I haven't seen it dip below 100 fps yet.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

It's pretty awesome on PS5. Love the adaptive triggers, those things have saved me ammo on more than one occasion when I would panic and squeeze the trigger on reflex.

>So the second section is not scary at all while not able to use any weapons there and the only option is to hide or run.
    Correct. It isn't.
    RE7 was scary. 8 isn't. It's a cool game. But not one bit of it is scary.

Not one for horror games, but since I'm a huge fan of vampires and werewolves, I decided to pick this one up. Opening had me shidding and pissing myself until I got to the church. That's when I put it down to go get ready for work.

I'll be picking it back up once I get home. So far I'm really enjoying it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >So the second section is not scary at all while not able to use any weapons there and the only option is to hide or run.
    Correct. It isn't.
    RE7 was scary. 8 isn't. It's a cool game. But not one bit of it is scary.
    I've seen people say it isn't scary at all, and I've seen equal amounts of people say it scared the shit out of them. I guess it just comes down to experience with the series, horror games in general, and what you yourself find scary or not.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Scary is subjective. I've seen loads of people hate the second section of the game (in a good way), and others claim that RE8 isn't scary at all, and that 7 is superior in that regard. 7 to me is scarier overall, but not a single section in that game comes remotely close to the second section in RE8 to me.

To me both games had just as many jump scares. Overall 7 is a bit more scary to me because the atmosphere sort of remains consistent for a big portion of the game, hardly giving you room to breathe (although the Lucas part eases up on it tremendously), while 8 eases up on the tension giving you room to relax for a bit. RE7 was had the same atmosphere for probably 3/4 of the game, where the Lucas section and the mine section at the end was pretty much void of 'scary'. RE7 turns into a glorified action game during the last sections of the game.

I've played loads of 'scary' games, and lots of them that are just puzzle games without any combat involved (or rare combat). I never found any of the Silent Hill games that scary because I just grew use to the 'psychological' horror and the lack of real meaningful combat present in those types of games. SOMA was another one with a creepy setting, but you're essentially a helpless victim hiding and running at parts of the game. The thing for me is that the whole game is based around and the horror factor just gets removed.

RE is sort of cut and dry. The beginning parts of most of the games make you feel helpless because you're shoved into a situation with awful weapons and generally an inexperienced character. You build up confidence as the game progresses and the game essentially unloads towards the end to where jump scares and other creepy things really don't bother you anymore. I think a brilliance of RE8 is that the second section is a non-combat area, which is non-traditional for the series and it amps up the tension because it again, isn't typical. I see calls for more of that in RE8, but personally, it would probably make the game less fun and you would largely grow use to it over time pretty much erasing the tension and atmosphere people wanted out of it.

There's really no perfect answer and again, I think horror is just your own personal opinion. I found RE8 loaded with atmosphere, with brilliant sound design, plenty of jump scares and one of the 'scarier' sections I've witnessed in a horror game. It's not RE7 levels of atmosphere, but it's better than anything in RE4-RE6 and probably anything in the OG series.

It's always "cool" to say things aren't scary. Whatever.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Aw man, I LOVE this game. First play through about 30 hours. I started my second on Hardcore with a Dragoon and limitless ammo - OH YEAH.

Plus, how fucking gorgeous is this game? It's absolutely beautiful with most settings maxed out and I haven't seen it dip below 100 fps yet.
    Wow that's nice. What are your specs?

that hide and seek doll area was creepy, especially a certain crawling you know what (trying to be vague to avoid spoiling it for others) but it wasn't outright scary other than the imagery cuz the AI is on a very scripted and predictable path/patterns, and the whole hide and seek section was done better during the saw like segments of RE7.

I liked Re8, i think it does some things like combat better than other entries, but it didn't do horror as well as the previous one. Which isn't surprising since the devs openly have stated the biggest complaint of RE7 was it was too scary for most to finish, so ofc they kinda gave it the old RE4 treatment where it becomes more action than pure horror/terror.

and to be fair, the last chapter of RE7 completely feels out of place as well and suffers from the exact same symptom. Some of that is how RE games build your confidence/ammo up as you go so by the end u feel pretty badass, but it's also clear intention of the design when it's like a corridor shooter