How does healing work lore wise?

I was curious because I wanna learn more about how magic works in Warcraft, and I main a healer

Do druids just throw leaves on your face and it heals you?
    How does mist even heal? etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fairfang View Post
    I was curious because I wanna learn more about how magic works in Warcraft, and I main a healer

From what i gatherr it seems they mostly stimulate your body to rapidly heal yourself through an infusion of natural energy / spirit energy / elemental energy.
    Holy seems somewhat different in that it is less related to life, and more related to ideas, i.e. restoring a creature to some template of what it was through light magic means.

Likewise natural energy, if corrupted, causes stuff like cancerous griwth as seen with the emerald nightmare.

Life draining magic seems to work like the former, but with some pollution occuring due to the means by which the life energy is acquired.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

For Mistweavers, this is how Renewing Mist works:

The mist enters your respiratory system. Due to small particle size, it easily difuses into alveolar capilaries and is transported in a disolved form throught the body.

When it reaches periferal tissue, the mist particles difuse out of the vessels and into the interstitial space. Here it binds to membrane specific receptors and are then transported into the cells.

A G-Protein signalling pathway is activated. DNA-binding factors are fosforilated. This eventually leads to an accelerated transcription rate of growth factors that are then excreted and act via paracrine signaling

Important facts to take into consideration about Renewing Mist

Usual adult dosage: 225% of Spell power to be administered in 20 seconds
    Half Life: 10 seconds
    Metabolism and Excretion: Urinary, approx. 75% as metabolites
    Serious Side effects: Steven Johnson Syndrome, General gastrointestinal side effects, DPS tunneling
    Serious Interactions: Might precipitate a Serotonin syndrome when coupled with Power Word Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post

The mist enters your respiratory system. Due to small particle size, it easily difuses into alveolar capilaries and is transported in a disolved form throught the body.

When it reaches periferal tissue, the mist particles difuse out of the vessels and into the interstitial space. Here it binds to membrane specific receptors and are then transported into the cells.

A G-Protein signalling pathway is activated. DNA-binding factors are fosforilated. This eventually leads to an accelerated transcription rate of growth factors that are then excreted and act via paracrine signaling

Serious Side effects: Steven Johnson Syndrome, General gastrointestinal side effects, DPS tunneling
    Serious Interactions: Might precipitate a Serotonin syndrome when coupled with Power Word Shield
    LMAOOO
    Man, as a doctor I can tell you this was really fun to read. I’d love to see your “lore” explanations for the other healing specs!

From the Illidan novel describes healing as seemingly painless; such as Illidan rushing the warrior tank and getting a good hit on the warrior's neck and cutting him. Blood spurting and the priest using the Light to gently mend the wound as if it was being stitched back together by invisible thread. So I imagine that other magic schools have similar or better refreshing feelings. I imagine that shaman healing is like cleaning up the wound to prevent bacteria growth and rapidly accelerating natural regeneration.

5+ Year Old Account

Now that's an interesting take on MW roflmao. I dread to know what would be druid healing like tho
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I dread to know what would be druid healing like tho
    Apart from the OP's "leaves thrown on your face?"

I...think I have to go re-spec my druid now...
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Overdosage of healing potions may result in a lemony fresh scent and severe Cave Johnson Syndrome. Please consult your local alchemist before consuming more than one dose per 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

according to War of the Ancients trilogy,
    and Vanilla WoW had nod for it, druids carry woth themselves leaves, ancorns, etc. and use life swapping for healing (drust thornspeakers seem to work similar)
    for example, malfurion ised ancorns to heal Krasus, and as krasus was a dragon, lots of grass/trees died around them. because malf channeled their life to krasus

Many ways to heal in WoW.

Druidism.
    While there's all sorts of herbs and stuff with healing properties a druid may be able to boost for specific effects, primarily the druid taps into their connection to the natural world, gathering up life force from it, to share with the injured person, and returning them to their natural state. This is likely to follow the person's genetic blueprint. Curiously, even dead flesh may be mended this way. Life or death is trivial to nature.

Shamanism and Monk.
    The Monk and the Shaman both master the Spirit. The Monk masters their own spirit power, drawing on his own life essence to grant vitality to others, likely speeding up your natural healing. The Shaman that has mastered the element of Spirit can reach out to it, the essence of all living things, and draw from it if its willing, to do the same. In the game, they also use water. While water cleanses and purifies, I'm uncertain how it would actually heal... Maybe it just stops blood from flowing out? I'm a bit unclear on that one.

Divine Power.
    Whether granted by direct prayer, through entities like the Loa other divines, the Sunwell or permanent infusion like into Paladin, the Light is a purifying and mending power that restores and heals. Align your will to the Light, and it will close wounds in accordance to your heartfelt and righteous desire. The Void too can mend. But healing the undead with the Light or the untainted living with the Void can be an unpleasant experience, due to how their bodies react to the energies involved. It'll close those wounds right up. But the costs in pain is a steep price to pay.

Arcane.
    "When near demise, cauterize". Other than melting flesh together to prevent bleeding out, there's ways to heal with the arcane. But it's something so specific you'd have to be a blue wyrm or someone like Aegwynn the Last Guardian to sustain yourself that way. While the other healing powers do the heavy lifting for the other healers, that only have to draw on powers that generally know what they are doing, healing through arcane means would require such highly specific magic instructions and knowledge of what you are doing. You'd need spellwork specific and custom to the very specific wound you are dealing with at the time. That it's unlikely to feature in your story.

Fel.
    "When near demise, parasitize". People are just useful bags of power to you. If they dare injure you, they will fuel your recovery, as you tear their vitality right out of their bodies. Or turn the vital energies contained in their soul, into a nourishing crunchy snack. Basically, you can drain the life out of things, and boost your own vitality with it to mend your wounds.

Word of warning:
    While some healing forms know what they are doing, many rely on boosting the body's own healing abilities, or rely on the healer's insight and knowledge to apply the healing correctly. Meaning that if in their rush, your ignorant healer does not extract the bullet lodged in your guts before closing the wound, or he doesn't set your bones, and just fuses the shattered fragments together haphazardly, you could be looking at long-term negative effects. For best available healing, also have a medic, surgeon, alchemist, or at least a healer with a long wise beard on hand, to correct the rookie just flinging the Light into everyone and calling it a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few, but different types of healing

- Holy (Priest, Paladin, Etc): Call upon a higher power to heal the wound. Not really different from magic damage, jus reversed effect.
    - Nature (Druids, witches etc): Like IRL you can apply an ointment or a piece of kelp in a wound to make it heal, nature healing (I imagine) does the same, at a MUCH accelerated speed.
    - Spiritual (Monks, Shaman, etc): A form of placebo healing, tricking the mind to heal the wound. Again, like nature, at a much accelerated speed.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Arcane.
    "When near demise, cauterize". Other than melting flesh together to prevent bleeding out, there's ways to heal with the arcane. But it's something so specific you'd have to be a blue wyrm or someone like Aegwynn the Last Guardian to sustain yourself that way. While the other healing powers do the heavy lifting for the other healers, that only have to draw on powers that generally know what they are doing, healing through arcane means would require such highly specific magic instructions and knowledge of what you are doing. You'd need spellwork specific and custom to the very specific wound you are dealing with at the time. That it's unlikely to feature in your story.
    I guess it would technically be arcane, but in the scenario where we have to save Chromie, she also used time magic to heal us by rewinding major wounds and by speeding up the bodies natural healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something about calling some the light and channelling it to heal. I think the caller acts like a conduit and through them the light can heal others or damage them... My guess.

druids are warlocks. both take existing life and redistribute it. druids are just abit more environmentalism about it. druid/warlock is like shaman/dark shaman. the nice ones ask but when push comes to shove they can force matters.

but druids aren't above a triage/the end justifies the means approach when need be. ardenwaeld is the most obvious example where lesser spirits are sacrificed to save more important ones. but e.g. if a druid has to heal a mortally wounded dragon, it's not weird if the surrounding plant life gets brought to the brink of death to do so, cause a dragon has a loooot of life energy that has to be replaced.

I think this is a subject where it varies widely depending on the source and the writing. Its not so specific or formal as to refer just to given schools of magic or cosmic forces because I want to say a few have shown the ability to generically restore things to a point before dmg was taken or forcibly grow required physical
    forms as needed for given people.

Like before it use to be that different class themes had drastically different methods like druids largely working with minor healing over time while others calling upon more potent healing bursts on demand or whatever weird pseudo canon was just barely there via name drops.

I think this treads into territory that really muddles class fantasy a bit... and mechanics have don't little to help since every class has effectively unlocked comparable tools to effectively provide the same roles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I guess it would technically be arcane, but in the scenario where we have to save Chromie, she also used time magic to heal us by rewinding major wounds and by speeding up the bodies natural healing.
    This was also a major part of a fight with Murazond. We'd rewind time and put ourselves back at peak condition... wounds cancelled, cooldowns returned... basically restoring everything to put us back in fighting form.

- - - Updated - - -

Many ways to heal in WoW.

Druidism.
    While there's all sorts of herbs and stuff with healing properties a druid may be able to boost for specific effects, primarily the druid taps into their connection to the natural world, gathering up life force from it, to share with the injured person, and returning them to their natural state. This is likely to follow the person's genetic blueprint. Curiously, even dead flesh may be mended this way. Life or death is trivial to nature.
    Depending on cases. Druids have channeled life from other things into beings that needed healing, as well they have coaxed existing life in beings to stabilize and restore itself (at a slow rate relative to other options).... At one point it was deemed the slower but grander style compared to others
    Shamanism and Monk.
    The Monk and the Shaman both master the Spirit. The Monk masters their own spirit power, drawing on his own life essence to grant vitality to others, likely speeding up your natural healing. The Shaman that has mastered the element of Spirit can reach out to it, the essence of all living things, and draw from it if its willing, to do the same. In the game, they also use water. While water cleanses and purifies, I'm uncertain how it would actually heal... Maybe it just stops blood from flowing out? I'm a bit unclear on that one.
    This is a bit weird. Shaman master elemental magic with a heavy dose of spirit leaning due to historical shamanic tropes. Monks also have a heavy spiritual influence because of spiritual tropes. But healing wise the shaman have historically called on the elemental spirits to aid in healing (typically the water based ones) while Monks have a different bend on theirs. Higher powers beings are drawn in for both (monk using the red crane and jade serpent as their emulations while shaman use water spirits).
    Divine Power.
    Whether granted by direct prayer, through entities like the Loa other divines, the Sunwell or permanent infusion like into Paladin, the Light is a purifying and mending power that restores and heals. Align your will to the Light, and it will close wounds in accordance to your heartfelt and righteous desire. The Void too can mend. But healing the undead with the Light or the untainted living with the Void can be an unpleasant experience, due to how their bodies react to the energies involved. It'll close those wounds right up. But the costs in pain is a steep price to pay.
    divine power should prolly get a few categories in itself. The light isn't the only higher power with potential to be channeled towards healing/restorative forces and it technically might not even be the "best" for restoring physical wounds or extending a life
    Arcane.
    Arcane also includes time based magics which basically undo most anything... and has also been part of at least 2 storylines. I'd not limit this to just temporary life regen (i.e. something like false life in DnD) or cauterizing wounds (an old firemage skill/talent/etc)

Fel.
    "When near demise, parasitize". People are just useful bags of power to you. If they dare injure you, they will fuel your recovery, as you tear their vitality right out of their bodies. Or turn the vital energies contained in their soul, into a nourishing crunchy snack. Basically, you can drain the life out of things, and boost your own vitality with it to mend your wounds.
    Fel turned into a catch all where users could do almost whatever the story needed. sucking life out of everything, forcibly returning a soul to the mortal coil, power and physical form beyond wildest dreams.... immortality at the tip of the iceberg.

Word of warning:
    While some healing forms know what they are doing, many rely on boosting the body's own healing abilities, or rely on the healer's insight and knowledge to apply the healing correctly. Meaning that if in their rush, your ignorant healer does not extract the bullet lodged in your guts before closing the wound, or he doesn't set your bones, and just fuses the shattered fragments together haphazardly, you could be looking at long-term negative effects. For best available healing, also have a medic, surgeon, alchemist, or at least a healer with a long wise beard on hand, to correct the rookie just flinging the Light into everyone and calling it a day.
    tldr: healing is weird and no one wants to set concrete rules.