Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Current WoW is what you get when you put the players in charge.

Seriously.

There's no real old guard left.

Pretty much everyone on the Dev team now started out as a player.

From Ion to Christie Golden, all of them were and probably still are players of the game.

So every time you say "well the players need to be in charge." They are.

Doesn't mean that I'm super thrilled with the direction of the game (narratively I feel it's far too focused on characters rather than making the world more amazing and letting us discover it.) Just that current Blizz is farmed from the community itself.

As it stands every game studio with someone age 25 to 50 in it has WoW players whether current or former in every single level of development and management.

But the "old guard" were players as well. How does that fit your theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Seriously.

From Ion to Christie Golden, all of them were and probably still are players of the game.

Doesn't mean that I'm super thrilled with the direction of the game (narratively I feel it's far too focused on characters rather than making the world more amazing and letting us discover it.) Just that current Blizz is farmed from the community itself.

As it stands every game studio with someone age 25 to 50 in it has WoW players whether current or former in every single level of development and management.
    >Conveniently forgets that Afrasiabi was an everquest player before he came to wow

5+ Year Old Account
    "Current WoW is what you get when you put the players in charge"... It really depends on what type of players you put in charge. Current WoW is what you get when you put a hardcore raider with a hardon for systems and theorycrafting in charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Current WoW is what you get when the players who built the company as a company of games for gamers made by gamers are gone, as is the creed it was built upon. It's about the shareholders now and how they can milk the system.

Old WoW was built off past EQ players, right... is that really any different?

Theorycrafting in wow ������ it's faceroll compared to eso.

- - - Updated - - -

Theorycrafting in wow

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Current WoW is what you get when the players who built the company as a company of games for gamers made by gamers are gone, as is the creed it was built upon. It's about the shareholders now and how they can milk the system.
    As much as you'd like to hope and beg for it, "gamers" never has and never will be a monolith.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    You don't think this is a bit condescending? Towards everyone. If it were actually just a big milking machine then why don't players simply stop playing and paying?

To persuade millions of players to fork over 15 bucks month after month there has to be something worthwhile in the game. Every company wants to make a profit and Blizzard too, but this isn't some F2P mobile game trying to reel in a couple whales. Blizzard tries to offer a fun game for a wide variety of people and obviously succeeds since WoW still is very successful.

Seriously.

It’s been in development for over 20 years what do you expect? The same people to run it forever?

I don’t think the devs are really the big problem. The big problem i think is upper management and as far as I can tell that is actually part of the real old guard along with big Bobby and friends at Activision.

Christie Golden also helped create a lot of the Thrall and orc stuff and probably more that went into Warcraft 3 and WoW. So bad example there.

I’ve literally never heard anyone say players should be in charge of this game. And I’ve heard a lot of crap.

Seriously.

Slight problem, the old guard also played the game and some still do, and they played other games before Wow or even starting Blizzard so they were also players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current WoW is what you get when the people that made this game are no longer working at Blizzard.

All developers are players.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

People acting like "the old guard" only did it for the fun and goodwill. For the players and such.

Completly ignoring, that THAT old guard is directly responsible for everything wie complain about today. The merger with Activision, streamlining of content, MTX ingame.

The whole concept of WOW was from the start to get as much money out of the player as possible. 15€ back then was quite the steep asking price. Don't act as if wow was some sort of angel at the start onyl concerned with the wellbeing of players.

You get the same threads now like we got since classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    You don't think this is a bit condescending? Towards everyone. If it were actually just a big milking machine then why don't players simply stop playing and paying?

To persuade millions of players to fork over 15 bucks month after month there has to be something worthwhile in the game. Every company wants to make a profit and Blizzard too, but this isn't some F2P mobile game trying to reel in a couple whales. Blizzard tries to offer a fun game for a wide variety of people and obviously succeeds since WoW still is very successful.
    It is the same reason why people are not afraid of Covid but afraid of getting Covid Vaccine. People are stupid!
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    "Current WoW is what you get when you put the players in charge"... It really depends on what type of players you put in charge. Current WoW is what you get when you put a hardcore raider with a hardon for systems and theorycrafting in charge.
    And yet the hardcore players were the most vocal about how garbage the covenant system and Torghast was in beta and turned out to be true. Your opinion is far off from being truthful.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Seriously.

Players didnt ask for timegated content. Todays wow is what you get when a company is trying to design towards retention and retention only rather than trying to make a fun game.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyr7 View Post
    Theorycrafting in wow ������ it's faceroll compared to eso.

- - - Updated - - -

Theorycrafting in wow
    What are you trying to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

none of the people making retail are actually playing retail.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really imagine how bad the game would have been if it had been developed by people who didn't play or have any experience with MMO's previous to Vanilla. Same goes for now. Does anyone think that it would end well to populate the top end of development/management teams with those who had never played the game?

Bring in some new creative people for story development that can pick up on the lore and take it in new creative directions? Sure. As part of the narrative team that would likely be a good thing. But having someone like that in charge? Please....don't even think about it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-05-18 at 07:11 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."