Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A bit of navel gazing, but honestly like...kinda an interesting piece based on my skim through it? Was there anything terribly objectionable about it to you?
    Apart from being inaccurate, laughable and unconsciously self-parodying? Not really.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2021-05-18 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Because there's no reason to consider that, as they'd be completely different games at that point. Just like it makes no sense to consider how Call of Duty could be done differently if it was actually The Sims.
    Not really an apt comparison. The Mass Effect games already include a lot of dialogue and solutions to problems that don't involve shooting everyone in the room. Among your companions are several scientists and engineers, and people with life experiences that could allow them to pursue non-murdery solutions. The third-person format has often been used for puzzle-like games or to simply tell a story so it should be very easy to imagine a Mass Effect series where violence isn't the norm where shooting is only deployed as a last resort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Because there's no reason to consider that, as they'd be completely different games at that point. Just like it makes no sense to consider how Call of Duty could be done differently if it was actually The Sims.
    I think they are sort of getting at they would like to see more from the Mass Effect universe that doesn't involve shooting. Bioware really did create an intriguing universe, and it would be interesting to see a different side of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has to be a form of schizophrenia.

I am always happy when video game threads turn into "look at my political alignment" threads.

Oh come on. Fuck "Games Journalism".

This is a great example of how one can overanalyze pretty much everything and anything. I am going to go and say that the author probably leads a miserable and boring life, which leads to creating such articles to fill that void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    This is a great example of how one can overanalyze pretty much everything and anything. I am going to go and say that the author probably leads a miserable and boring life, which leads to creating such articles to fill that void.
    Or they get paid to write articles and this is a way to get clicks by linking current events to a new release?

Personally what I like most about these sorts of articles is how easily they offend people to the extent they have to make comments about the authors state of mind or mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Or they get paid to write articles and this is a way to get clicks by linking current events to a new release?

Personally what I like most about these sorts of articles is how easily they offend people to the extent they have to make comments about the authors state of mind or mental health.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ One does not have to be offended to make such statements. I really do think they are quite miserable. I also do not think they play games that much or even enjoy them, really. There will always be politics and real life issues in games, but there is no need to try pulling the games into them the other way.
    Take that haters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ One does not have to be offended to make such statements. I really do think they are quite miserable. I also do not think they play games that much or even enjoy them, really. There will always be politics and real life issues in games, but there is no need to try pulling the games into them the other way.
    Really? Because nothing about the article really suggests that, and there is absolutely zero reason to think that a person who chooses to write about video games wouldn't play or enjoy video games. It seems an awful lot more like people lashing out because someone said something that went against their sensibilities.

Really? Because nothing about the article really suggests that, and there is absolutely zero reason to think that a person who chooses to write about video games wouldn't play or enjoy video games. It seems an awful lot more like people lashing out because someone said something that went against their sensibilities.
    I stand by what I said and think. Take it or leave it, to me that article is a waste of storage space and once more reflects poorly on the games journalism as a whole.
    Take that haters.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Although It did make me think. If IRL humanity was ever threatened with potential extinction from genocidal aliens, would we keep our current attitudes toward cops, or would we allow them to potentially abuse authority if it ultimately saved our species?
    Hello? Earth to Crissi. Did you miss all the covid policing or something? Do you wear your mask? Did you take all the vaccines? Do you stay inside? Do you support cops policing compliance with the measures?
    And then what about history? E.g. WW2? Lots of abuse was allowed. Like all of it.
    It doesn't even have to be aliens.
    And our species were/are not even in any existential danger. We were told that we were though.

It's interesting that a pointless article about a game "ME could be but wasn't" was the trigger for such thoughts, and still as a HYPOTHETICAL.
    It's the reality.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I guess it's the ususal case of someone who really wants to be a real journalist but could only get a job at a gaming blog and now writes his politics pieces there and tries to somehow link them to gaming to justify their work before their boss.
    Maybe with an added bit of shame because he doesn't like to tell his friends that he plays games for a living while they have real jobs so he presents them these articles with an added "see, i do important work, i work for social change!!!".

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I guess it's the ususal case of someone who really wants to be a real journalist but could only get a job at a gaming blog and now writes his politics pieces there and tries to somehow link them to gaming to justify their work before their boss.
    Maybe with an added bit of shame because he doesn't like to tell his friends that he plays games for a living while they have real jobs so he presents them these articles with an added "see, i do important work, i work for social change!!!".
    This is the kind of thing I mean, when people get their jimmy's rustled so hard the only way they can cope is by inventing a horrible life for the offending writer. It's extra funny when you google the dude and find out he's an Emmy winning motion designer who writes articles pretty much as a hobby, but keep pretending he's a failed journalist if it helps you feel better.

Spectres follow the Space Police trope and have clear parallels with the Galactic Patrol from Lensman (which also inspired part of ME's FTL systems.) People who think they can't be Space Cops because they're not literally walking a beat have a very narrow view of what police work can entail especially in a sci-fi context.
    I always thought of the Spectres as being like Jedi Knights...a holdover from Kotor.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I always thought of the Spectres as being like Jedi Knights...a holdover from Kotor.
    Jedi also take inspiration from Lensman (originally the Light and Dark sides of the Force were called Arisian and Boskone as a direct reference) but Chris L'Etoile (a ME writer) cited Lensman directly.

This is the kind of thing I mean, when people get their jimmy's rustled so hard the only way they can cope is by inventing a horrible life for the offending writer. It's extra funny when you google the dude and find out he's an Emmy winning motion designer who writes articles pretty much as a hobby, but keep pretending he's a failed journalist if it helps you feel better.
    I mean, the alternative is even more sad. That would mean that this person really believes that stuff he writes and that he tries to change the world via a gaming website.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I mean, the alternative is even more sad. That would mean that this person really believes that stuff he writes and that he tries to change the world via a gaming website.
    I can't tell if you're really offended or just jealous at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand by what I said and think. Take it or leave it, to me that article is a waste of storage space and once more reflects poorly on the games journalism as a whole.
    I wouldn't say it reflects poorly on games journalism, so much as just Polygon, they're frequently the outlet to run this sort of rubbish.

Instead of talking about the ways in which this very series is actually commenting on policing, they decided to stretch it to something that have nothing to do with it when "linking a new release to current events".

Yeah, it's a bit silly and a bit of stretch. But it's still valid and probably offers at least some interesting take or perspective. I generally do not find these types of articles to be interesting, but equally I don't understand some of the reactions it gets.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-05-19 at 10:42 AM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance