Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    call me skeptical but i think it's more of them losing all their good devs. probably looking into it too deeply but i think by the phrase "It looks like that’s because we’ve never done anything like this in World of Warcraft, where we’re basically turning one game into two games" means that most of the experience they had on the team has left because of how bad it has gotten.

just using context says that when dozens of figureheads are leaving blizzard, it's likely many non-figureheads are too.
    So Um what was the excuse all the “experienced” devs has when we had huge issues in the past some times lasting multiple days after a expan launch?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Imagine how much smoother things would go if they didnt fire 800 people every few years,but hey,a longer maintanance isnt whats gonna delay bobbys next yacht acquisition by a few days,its the extra salaries
    How would the live esports team or people who worked on destiny help it go smoother?

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it,literaly every talent they had is gone

- - - Updated - - -

testing things before you atempt it on live isnt something one needs to have a clue about,its basic good business practice,but at the end of the day we know that by losing a few subs bobby's yacht fund doesnt suffer as long as a few whales like you keep buying those micros and services,there was a video about it some time ago showing the stats on how much more valuable one dude buying their crap is vs dozens of subs,the normal subed player is literaly worthless in blizzards eyes

also if you think i need to explain why testing things before trying them live to you is a good idea...idk...its a lost cause
    You still have no clue what's going on and it's cute you're so confident about it. You can't test this to a point where no issues would be found on the day it goes live. But you keep parroting "just test it hurrrr" like you know what you're talking about. It's really making my night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    It's amazing how one can have this stance on Blizzard yet still give them money, talk about brain damage.
    well since the token i havent spent any money on it,but either way,i never said i dont enjoy the game,i dont care about bobby's ethics or lack of it,or the devs obvious incompetence,as long as i still enjoy it ill stick around

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I remember the good old days back when Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK, in addition to all of the patches in those expansions were fucking smooth sailing. They had all of their good employees back then, and nobody was polishing Bobby's ball sack with thousand dollar bills. They had thousands of people, never had to fire a single person, and the services provided were just fucking mint dude.

I get that some of you are probably tilted beyond belief, but it's obvious to me that TBC is "ready" and that something unexpected happened while doing something they haven't done before. I really don't see how that's a huge stretch TBH.

If that makes me a Blizzard shill, then so be it. You guys will be fine, relax. Take your anime body pillows, turn them over to that hole you dug out, and just plow away until you fall asleep. The servers will be up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    How would the live esports team or people who worked on destiny help it go smoother?

dont you dare use good arguments against me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Yeah I remember the good old days back when Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK, in addition to all of the patches in those expansions were fucking smooth sailing. They had all of their good employees back then, and nobody was polishing Bobby's ball sack with thousand dollar bills. They had thousands of people, never had to fire a single person, and the services provided were just fucking mint dude.

I get that some of you are probably tilted beyond belief, but it's obvious to me that TBC is "ready" and that something unexpected happened while doing something they haven't done before. I really don't see how that's a huge stretch TBH.

If that makes me a Blizzard shill, then so be it. You guys will be fine, relax. Take your anime body pillows, turn them over to that hole you dug out, and just plow away until you fall asleep. The servers will be up tomorrow.
    imagine thinking technology or experience would have improved from 2007 to 2021,blizzard cant kekw

10+ Year Old Account
    2 more hours? Ugh, I was hoping to play at least a LITTLE bit before I went to work; but I guess thats not happening.
    Eh, hopefully it'll be working in 8 hours time when I get home.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    2 more hours? Ugh, I was hoping to play at least a LITTLE bit before I went to work; but I guess thats not happening.
    Eh, hopefully it'll be working in 8 hours time when I get home.
    Optimistic aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry11782 View Post
    They could fix it by not trying to get the game out before its ready.
    wdym its not ready?

You do know this delay has nothing to do with the game being ready or not right?

If anything, this implies they're pre-emptively copying characters to TBC and Classic servers meaning what you're paying for isn't even the act of copying your character but rather the activation of your pre-existing character copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

15+ Year Old Account
    ROFL if EU finishes BC patching before US.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asd12a1 View Post
    Well they started @ 01AM in EU but something tells me it will not end any time soon

Anyway, somebody really failed to do a proper test on the whole process. If you work in IT you know shit happens. Simply the amount of little shits ( mailboxes ) is just overwhelming I guess.
    Well according to their latest update it was a data integrity copy that failed. With the sheer amount of data required to run all the characters it's no wonder it's taking longer to replicate that portion a second time.

Also they clearly tested it. Otherwise they wouldn't have caught the data integrity error and would've pushed it live with all the mail corrupted. That would've been a catastrophe. So yeah, shit does happen.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    wdym its not ready?

You do know this delay has nothing to do with the game being ready or not right?
    NO.
    Blizzard bad. Now laugh and agree please.

15+ Year Old Account
    except they clearly didnt expect it to go wrong the way it did,its why the pre patch release was pushed back like what?3-4 times now?lol

u know what they could have done?tested this procces BEFORE doing it so they would have known this would happen and given a more accurate timeframe from the start or simply say ''we dont know how long it will take'',but like they stated,this issue wasnt anticipated

but its hard to anticipate and test stuff when you fire hundrets of people and only keep 1-2 guys even working on classic
    Clearly you don't know the difference between the role of a developer, IT admin, sales or support. They let their support team go (forums and phone lines) and members of finance, marketing and sales that had the same job function.

But when you're replicating 100TB of data from one storage array to another and it glitches it doesn't make one bit of difference how many times you copied it in past situations. It failed this time so it must be copied again. But hey let's call up all the marketing and sales folks they laid off. They could come fix the problem...

If you think they didn't test things then you've either never worked in IT or are one of those A+ certification wannabes. If Windows 7 had 100k (YES one-hundred thousand) documented bugs internally on release then other hardware, software, firmware are sure as shit to run into an issue from time to time as well. Especially when you work with extreme data sizes like Blizzard does.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    ROFL if EU finishes BC patching before US.
    Keep the servers down for another 8 hrs, so i can finish work and not miss the initial belf hype.

People really thinking blizzard haven't done any tests? Yikes... Honestly though. If they didn't do tests and still manage to do these tasks, bar taking some extra time, the devs would be gods when it comes to skill.

Of course they've done tests. Sometimes I feel like some of you are not even thinking for more than one second. If we entertain the idea there were no tests. That means they would have worked on BC, with a release date, and no way of knowing if its even possible to do this up until the release day. Its just an absurd thought.

If we gonna be realistic, it has been tested, but regardless of how many times you test something, some things can go wrong. Everyone is human and bugs can occur.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR we fired too many people and its causing problems

5+ Year Old Account
    Calling it gang. They are gonna push it till tomorrow afternoon. They really, and pardon my pun here. Were not prepared for this.

15+ Year Old Account
    EU Extended 4 hours
    Last edited by Cryonic; 2021-05-19 at 06:51 AM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they were not prepared?

To be fair, it is legit and understandable. It is a massive load of data transfer and checking that they have never done... damn it, has anyone ever done something like this before? I do not know but it sounds unlikely.

There is not that much you can possibly "test" about this.. Problems can come up any time and then it is about going forward and risking a larger problem than starting fresh again.

Just chill people, it is coming and also, I am not home til 4 or so ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

You need to take off the glasses. In those era there were patches where maintenance lasted for multiple days, to the point where they had to credit people extra days of sub.
    Also on many servers WotLK was a disaster even 1 month after launch with 5-10 sec delay on many bosses.