Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Blizzard Forcing Me To Pay Money For A Character Copy?

I was just trying to create characters on the TBC server with the same names as my Classic characters. I don't want to copy them over, because I don't want to give Blizzard money for this, because it's a greedy, scummy tactic to extract money from loyal fans.

Now the way I see it, the TBC servers are the same as the Classic servers? They have the same names. And I tried to create my characters, but all names were already taken. How can that be? Does that mean it recognizes my Classic characters and that's why the names are taken? In the character login screen, it does show my characters as available for a character copy. So does that mean as long as my characters exist on the Classic server, the names are taken on the TBC server?

So basically, if I want to play my characters with the same names, I am forced to pay real money for character copies.

Make a ticket. Someone might've used your name already?

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Make a ticket. Someone might've used your name already?
    Within minutes? All of them? My very specific names, some of which I have created long after WoW Classic launched? Unlikely. The fact that both the Classic and TBC server share the same name to me sounds like the names can only be present once on both of them.

i doubt thats working as intended, so i would contact support, however with issues they are having, and this being incredibly minor problem i wouldnt expect answer any time soon

I suspect the names will be reserved at the moment.

This will make sure that for those that do want their character to transition over to TBC servers that their names will be available, and they won't be met with a forced name change as soon as they log in because someone yoinked it. Same for those who want to pay to do the character cloning.

If you're making a brand new character, it'll need a new name. Maybe a bit after launch they'll open those names up on TBC servers, and open up the names of the characters that left the vanilla servers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I suspect the names will be reserved at the moment.

This will make sure that for those that do want their character to transition over to TBC servers that their names will be available, and they won't be met with a forced name change as soon as they log in because someone yoinked it. Same for those who want to pay to do the character cloning.
    This way the people will be screwed. that don't want to pay money for a character copy, but want to instead start over. Forcing them to pay for a character copy. This smells like greed.

Welcome to MMO Champion!

Could it be... y'know... a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoriel View Post
    This way the people will be screwed. that don't want to pay money for a character copy, but want to instead start over. Forcing them to pay for a character copy. This smells like greed.
    They're not screwed at all. Pick a new name. You don't have to pay to MOVE the character, you only have to pay to CLONE the character. If you're starting again on a new character it's......a new character. So a new name is whatever.

This way the people will be screwed. that don't want to pay money...
    Well...yeah? People who want to pay money get priority.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more probable answer is it's a bug and you can't accept it as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Have you committed your old characters to the Vanilla side? It might be that your names are reserved while you have the option to copy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just trying to create characters on the TBC server with the same names as my Classic characters. I don't want to copy them over, because I don't want to give Blizzard money for this, because it's a greedy, scummy tactic to extract money from loyal fans.

Now the way I see it, the TBC servers are the same as the Classic servers? They have the same names. And I tried to create my characters, but all names were already taken. How can that be? Does that mean it recognizes my Classic characters and that's why the names are taken? In the character login screen, it does show my characters as available for a character copy. So does that mean as long as my characters exist on the Classic server, the names are taken on the TBC server?

So basically, if I want to play my characters with the same names, I am forced to pay real money for character copies.
    Sounds like a bug, or people having taken the names.

To reference. Made a new character on TBC Classic with the same name as my char on Classic, no issue.

But no, you are not forced to pay for a character copy.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Sorry, but you need step back and think this through for the *vast* majority of players. I'm sure klogaroth has the truth of the matter. They aren't forcing anyone to Classic or BC, but letting you make the choice. In the meantime, they'll keep your characters names reserved on the BC side in case you do want to put those characters over there (which costs you nothing).

You are definitely doing the extremely uncommon case of wanting to keep all your characters on Classic while making new ones on BC with the same, matching names. I'm sure support will help you accomplish this, but this isn't a matter of Blizz greed for this specific scenario (and you'll note by my comments that I'm absolutely not a Blizz defender).

They're not screwed at all. Pick a new name.
    Yeah, sure. Pick a new name or pay 15$. That's a scam.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to pay to MOVE the character, you only have to pay to CLONE the character.
    I already decided for my old characters to stay on the Classic server. They can't move to TBC now.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're starting again on a new character it's......a new character. So a new name is whatever.
    Are you stupid? It's the same character recreated, merely on a TBC server. I would copy over the character, but I don't want to pay money. I want the character to remain on the Classic server and play the character on TBC. But I'm not gonna pay money for that, cause that's a scam. One only fanboys defend and fall for.

So the only option is to recreate the character on the TBC server and start over. I'm willing to invest the time. But Blizzard forcing me to pay money if I want to use the same name is a clear scamming tactic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Have you committed your old characters to the Vanilla side? It might be that your names are reserved while you have the option to copy.
    I have committed them to Classic, and I still have the option to clone the characters. The names are still taken, even though I have committed them to Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sounds like a bug, or people having taken the names.

To reference. Made a new character on TBC Classic with the same name as my char on Classic, no issue.

But no, you are not forced to pay for a character copy.
    There's no way somebody else took the name. You probably made the character on a different server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry, but you need step back and think this through for the *vast* majority of players. I'm sure klogaroth has the truth of the matter. They aren't forcing anyone to Classic or BC, but letting you make the choice.
    You need to learn to read. I said they are forcing people to pay money if they want to keep the same name on both servers.

Yeah, sure. Pick a new name or pay 15$. That's a scam.
    That isn't a scam by any stretch of the imagination. You have the option to move/clone. In order for moved or cloned characters to retain their names any name currently in use on classic servers has to be reserved.

If this wasn't the case, people could end up paying $15 and losing their character name. That is a worse situation than the one you are in, where you want to create a brand new character. What's so difficult about giving a brand new character a new name?

You haven't parted with any money. If people did part with cash and lost their name, that would be more of a scam. But even then that's pretty light on the scamometer.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you stupid? It's the same character recreated, merely on a TBC server. I would copy over the character, but I don't want to pay money. I want the character to remain on the Classic server and play the character on TBC. But I'm not gonna pay money for that, cause that's a scam. One only fanboys defend and fall for.
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were the only person to use that race and class combo.....

It's not the same character.

If this wasn't the case, people could end up paying $15 and losing their character name.
    This way I lose 15$ if I want to keep my character name.

And people who actually want to move or clone their characters to TBC get to keep theirs. If you are able to make a brand new character using your previous name it would put them at risk of losing theirs.

Your case is the weakest of all of these, so you are the one that has to either wait until names are unlocked, or just use a different name on your new character.

We don't even know how long they're going to stay locked for. It might be that the reset after you make your decision, it unlocks the name. We know almost nothing, and you're assuming it's a scam. Chill your victim complex and think for a moment.

And people who actually want to move or clone their characters to TBC get to keep theirs. If you are able to make a brand new character using your previous name it would put them at risk of losing theirs.

Your case is the weakest of all of these, so you are the one that has to either wait until names are unlocked, or just use a different name on your new character.
    If this was the case, then people should have been informed and should be in control of when to release their own names. Anything else is clearly just a way to make them pay for the character copy.

Why should I be thankful Blizzard is reserving my names for me, therefore forcing me to either use a different name or pay money for a character copy?

Waiting for the names to unlock, whenever that could happen, would mean not being able to play today or even in the next weeks.

Stop defending Blizzard you pathetic shill.

Put in a ticket because this does sound like it's not working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Put in a ticket because this does sound like it's not working as intended.
    As people have explained in this thread, it does make sense to reserve the names for people who want to use the character copy.

The problem is that not everyone wants to use the character copy, so the names are being held hostage.