Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    i just am sick of losing my waifus cause who wants to look at amale charatcer lore character if im gonna play a game all day.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    The problem is not that they are human. They are the boring version of medieval humans.
    Dragon age. LOL. Warhammer TW. It has several versions of humans all interesting.
    Where the most "boring" has a political and noble mess that has more lore than the entire Alliance.

I mean, WoW doesn't have generic humans. Somehow WoW has a human that is even more generic than the generic Human.
    Hell, even the WC2 or 3 Humans are FAR more interesting than the bland Fantasy Kingdom #4324598211 they are in WoW, especially after Anime King took office.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    In summary. It's not that Nathanos is a good character, it's that we lack renegade characters.

PS: I think even that renegade that appears in BFA that he wanted to defend his family from him and that Nathanos kills him. He was more popular than Nathanos himself
    I do agree that we lack Forsaken characters, and yes, I wouldn't say that Nathanos is a good character, i wouldn't say he's outright bad or anything of that sorts either, he's.... easy to hate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Pretty spot on, with Varian as the biggest WoW-exception to this rule. He went out like a G.

(Of course now I've said that....he'll be revived.)
    Yeah, he was hated at the start, then became a loved character, so... Nathanos still got a chance :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    I do agree that we lack Forsaken characters, and yes, I wouldn't say that Nathanos is a good character, i wouldn't say he's outright bad or anything of that sorts either, he's.... easy to hate.
    The thing with Nathanos is that he was born dead XD.
    He had two possible endings o He took the place of Sylvanas and was hated for taking the place of Sylvanas.
    Or he's a guy that we know from minute 1 that we have to kill and they force us to work with him until they let us kill him.

Maybe if it had been another expansion you would have had time to win the affection of the fans or at least gain depth.

10+ Year Old Account

Maybe if it had been another expansion you would have had time to win the affection of the fans or at least gain depth.
    So... like Varian?

Which covenant would he most likely be apart of? Maybe somewhere in bastion he'll turn about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    pillow hugging?
    he made a joke about his novel in his private twitter. a nerd did what obsessed nerd do and took that tweet out of context on reddit/imgur and blown up a tons of bullshit. someone reported that here in mmochamp and that myth started..
    someone took that pic and posted it on imgur, it wasn't a joke or talk on twitter...

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, WoW doesn't have generic humans. Somehow WoW has a human that is even more generic than the generic Human.
    i disagree with lol, don't know dragon age, but i know enough about warhammer to agree yes there are more interesting humans
    wow had that, but shoved it aside, scarlet crusade are too minor to be anything, stormwind inner fight is over, and entire alliance decided to follow the worst (or 2nd worst) race to lead them, who magically have amazing leadership
    in old lore Deathwing decided to disguise as human because they are the easiest race to corrupt, now seems nelf are easier to corrupt with all emerald nightmare bullshit
    wow needs to revert back to classic/tbc or at worst wrath humans, current wow humans are the worst version since ever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Hell, even the WC2 or 3 Humans are FAR more interesting than the bland Fantasy Kingdom #4324598211 they are in WoW, especially after Anime King took office.
    yeah i remember alliance many inner fights, how Lothar was a strong leader even if he wasn't king, and Alterac betrayal, Khadgar aging and Medivh betrayal, not to mention wc2 had many fantasy races not just humans if that counts
    wc3 lore is the best in warcraft history, i'd even go as far as call it 2nd best game lore ever after Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines imo, anything that appeared in wc3 is its best version than anywhere else

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    i just am sick of losing my waifus cause who wants to look at amale charatcer lore character if im gonna play a game all day.
    well i do want a replacement for Sylvannas, i remember patching her abdomen to appear even more ugly because rise of woke movement, heck Mei-Lin the mage from diablo wears more clothes and looks way better than leather-mid-patched Sylvannas
    tldr: waiting for next goth chick too, and this time i hope she actually has personality not discover she has tits after 20 years in warcraft
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

The thing with Nathanos is that he was born dead XD.
    He had two possible endings o He took the place of Sylvanas and was hated for taking the place of Sylvanas.
    Or he's a guy that we know from minute 1 that we have to kill and they force us to work with him until they let us kill him.

Nathanos didn't need more time, he needed a better use of it. He has an inordinate amount of screentime for what ended up being not even the main antagonist number 2, but the number 2's number 2. It's not that the character can't have more depth or didn't have the chance to - he does in all external media, it's that the writers stubbornly kept him one note except for a few lines here and there, put him absolutely everywhere and then did nothing with those appearances. You could cut every time he featured in BFA and then have him pop up in the prepatch and you'd know just as much about his character as you did starting out. Hell, the character would even make more sense, because then you wouldn't have moments like his shock at Teldrassil, his expectation for a peaceful resolution of the war in 8.1, his Horde loyalty in Darkshore and his praise of the player in the loyalist questline that threaten to give his in-game rendition some more nuance. It's almost impressive in how much of a waste of time it was.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-05-19 at 06:57 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Nathanos didn't need more time, he needed a better use of it. He has an inordinate amount of screentime for what ended up being not even the main antagonist number 2, but the number 2's number 2. It's not that the character can't have more depth or didn't have the chance to - he does in all external media, it's that the writers stubbornly kept him one note except for a few lines here and there, put him absolutely everywhere and then did nothing with those appearances. You could cut every time he featured in BFA and then have him pop up in the prepatch and you'd know just as much about his character as you did starting out. Hell, the character would even make more sense, because then you wouldn't have moments like his shock at Teldrassil, his expectation for a peaceful resolution of the war in 8.1, his Horde loyalty in Darkshore and his praise of the player in the loyalist questline that threaten to give his in-game rendition some more nuance. It's almost impressive in how much of a waste of time it was.
    i feel like the bolded part is a problem all leader NPCs outside of "the one we want to promote for the story right now" have.
    unless they are involed in the current events, they just do nothing that would establish their personality.

look at Voljin as an example: most useless warchief of all times. sits in warspear for the majority of his career. and when the plot demands it, he gets shanked by Random Fellguard Number 7.
    he had more value as a plot device dying to a noname grunt than he had during his entire career as warchief.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Yes sorry translation error. I mean if it had been in another expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    So... like Varian?
    Of course, imagine that Varian had come just to take the place away from Jaina or to accompany Jaina as she suddenly turns 100% evil and we lose the character.

With that Varian there was no way to introduce him.
    (What's more, that's another of the things why so many Anduin annoys them. He's a bad Jaina at best)

He isn't (wasn't) badly written because of not sucking the players' privates, but rather because he was nothing but Danuser's self-insert.
    People spout that shit all the time, but without resorting to the Twitter posts, how is he a self-insert?

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    People spout that shit all the time, but without resorting to the Twitter posts, how is he a self-insert?
    Because his concept of being a pj that comes out of nowhere and suddenly is very important in the story and it was always supposed to be there.
    Is he very similar to Jarold, the Illidari from the novel Illidian, Ronin, and other characters who are usually self-inserted?

edit
    PD: And he don't die when you're supposed to.
    Last edited by geco; 2021-05-19 at 03:23 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I was going to answer you, but I just saw that @geco already did. So there you go.

Because his concept of being a pj that comes out of nowhere and suddenly is very important in the story and it was always supposed to be there.
    Is he very similar to Jarold, the Illidari from the novel Illidian, Ronin, and other characters who are usually self-inserted?

edit
    PD: And he don't die when you're supposed to.
    I was going to answer you, but I just saw that @geco already did. So there you go.

So Rokhan is a self-insert, Saurfang is a self-insert, Liadrin is a self-insert, Shandris is a self-insert? Damn, they got a lot of self-inserts.

All of those characters existed beforehand, just like Nathanos did (He did show up in novels, in Vanilla and in Cata, which I would say is just as much, if not more screentime than Rokhan or Shandris got), before suddenly being thrust into random relevancy.

Just admit it. You hate him because the Danuser wrote three cringy tweets. He is not a "self-insert", he is just a two-dimensional, mediocre WoW character just like any other WoW character. He is literally just an undead version of Matthias Shaw. Is Matthias Shaw a self-insert?

I mean, if you wanna talk genuine self-insert, there's Thrall. Nothing about Nathanos screams self-insert.

And yes, he doesn't die, just like no character is truly dead in WoW. I mean, even characters we kill in Shadowlands are gonna come back./

So Rokhan is a self-insert, Saurfang is a self-insert, Liadrin is a self-insert, Shandris is a self-insert? Damn, they got a lot of self-inserts.

All of those characters existed beforehand, just like Nathanos did (He did show up in novels, in Vanilla and in Cata, which I would say is just as much, if not more screentime than Rokhan or Shandris got), before suddenly being thrust into random relevancy.

Just admit it. You hate him because the Danuser wrote three cringy tweets. He is not a "self-insert", he is just a two-dimensional, mediocre WoW character just like any other WoW character. He is literally just an undead version of Matthias Shaw. Is Matthias Shaw a self-insert?

I mean, if you wanna talk genuine self-insert, there's Thrall. Nothing about Nathanos screams self-insert.

And yes, he doesn't die, just like no character is truly dead in WoW. I mean, even characters we kill in Shadowlands are gonna come back./
    mmm you read only one of my points and based on that you answered. If everyone is there. but no one jumps suddenly and for no reason to the level of Nathanos.

Shandris, Rokacn, and Liandri suddenly never had a ton of camera time and are suddenly a "Dread Enemy Down". Can you imagine that some of those three peel Trall or Jaina? I do not.
    Everyone is still at their story level.

Varock meets all the points. But it is just a forced message that "I am the real horde this story is great."

PS: What novels does Nathanos appear in?
    Ps2: a pj suddenly who has a Waifu only that the Waifu never had a lover. He sounds like "Evil Jarold" all over the place.
    Edit.

Ps 3: By "don't die" I mean it was clear that he had to "lose" against Tyrande on the dark shore, to demonstrate "the power of Elune". But by being someone's pet he was saved.
    Just like Jarold had to die at the hands of Illidian because Maiev has no family. But by being someone's pet he was saved. Although Maiev still has no family.

5+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft is full of self-inserts, but not a single one of the characters you mentioned is. You could have gone instead with Rhonin, Jaina, Anduin or even !@#$ing Thrall instead, but you got all your examples wrong ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Wasn't we (once again) forced to kill one of our own (Nathan's), back in the very end of BfA where he became a world boss?

Blizzard seems intend on killing off the interresting Horde NPCs and leave the flavourless alive, while the let all the Alliance NPCs who have had their demise comming for 10+ years remain alive.
    Quick correction. Alliance npcs don't die, they become neutral. IE Khadgar, Magni.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I loved Nathanos because he showed how fragile the fanbase is.

Oh, a character who doesn't suck the players dick. He is "badly written".
    There's a difference between sucking up and just being ignorant. We killed a titan and all he accomplished was being Sylvanus boy toy. Yet he treats us like we are dirt to his boots. All he can do is shoot a bow.

nathanos is so a cartoonist villain. still deserves to be a middle raid boss, would be so happy if i coulad kill him after 100 wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Well.... We still have Bwonsamdi right?
    This sentiment helps me sleep at night. Since we first saw him in the Cata pre-patch event til now, Bwonsamdi is best husbando.