Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    They have more than enough money. I would say 80% or more go to fatten up exec bank accounts. Not nearly enough gets put back in to improve the product.

American companies in particular have taken that to new extremes. It's greed with no limits.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like i heard this narrative before...
    Cause it is true. Just cause morons do not understand business does not make it so. I pay 20k a year in taxes for my business and I get it all back after I do my taxes. Cause I file them correctly and know how the real world works. Something most on here do not know.

I don't think you people understand what the term "Whale" means in relation to a game such as this one.

There's no "whaling" going on if all you do is pay a sub fee and spend loads of time in the game. Buying every store mount? Eh, they don't come out nearly as often as they would need to before players baked purchasing them into their monthly spending on this game. The only thing players can really "Whale" on, is either having multiple accounts, and tokens.

And loads of money does not equate quality. They're making a metric shitton of money, growing profits each year. The game was never as good as during 14 months where the playerbase was divided between "Fuck this expansion's themes!!!!!11" and the 5 million sticking with it for a long-ass drought.

And anyone announcing that they feel like a victim over spending money on a game, is just a sadsack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I just hope that Blizzard then actually makes money to further development for actually good games, IP's or paying better wages.
    You... You serious? Are you being serious? Or is this a troll post

10+ Year Old Account
    You weren't kidding...Again you cant fault companies for making money, but this is next-level microtransactions by Blizzard now.
    Why am I not buying them? It's confusing. There's zero evidence that FFXIV has beaten WoW in anything. They don't release subscription numbers; neither does Blizzard for WoW. Square Enix plays up registered users but that's not in any way subscribers.

So where is that coming from? I'm willing to see some hard evidence if you have any.

I really, really dislike how these trends are heading. Cause I know I will buy the fucking deluxe version cause of the freaking mount, and then later I hope the 6 month sub mount goes on sale in like 1-2 years at December...I'm pathetic, we all are for buying this crap.
    You are certainly a part of the problem you're describing. I'm not because I don't buy stuff just to have it. It's not that hard. At least one of us is not pathetic.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

We need another videogame crash to eliminate all the bad practices. Nothing else will work. Stop buying into the hype. Vote with your wallet, and I mean not buying shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    I'm no Asmongold who lives off of WoW, and keeps saying "I won't quit cuz I love the game!".
    Wait are you insinuating that Asmongold has made a lot of money off streaming games such as WoWand has a net worth over $3 million because of it? That he got paid $300k from a company to promote the game for only 1 day or that he got over $200k to promote Genshin Impact? Or how Tyler Blevins (aka Ninja) brings in over $500k a month between Twitch & YouTube? Or that Timmac is reportedly worth $36 million from his Twitch income? Or that Sodapoppin is reportedly worth about $11 million? Or that Shroud is wroth $8-12 million between his Twitch earnings and his clothing line? Or that Dr Disrespect is reportedly worth $7 million from his (now former) Twitch income? Or that Tfue is reportedly worth $13 million? Are you saying that companies pay these streaming tons of money to play their games and that's how these guys and gals make a living???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    We need another videogame crash to eliminate all the bad practices. Nothing else will work. Stop buying into the hype. Vote with your wallet, and I mean not buying shit.
    Probably not the path that will lead profit-making companies to eliminate their revenue practices. In fact, it's likely to lead to just the opposite. I will agree though that people that can't resist buying store stuff and then complain about it are a large part of the problem.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Why would they put the money they make into that when they can give bobby another 200 million bonus?

Bliz could announce a new IP and chances are they would be torn apart by the Blizzard "fans" foaming at the mouth, crying and gnashing their teeth about how the people working on that new IP would be better used to make Shadowlands good or finish Diablo 4 or Overwatch 2. So why would they bother doing something that's not another sequel.

i like cake. yellow cake with chocolate icing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man i always love these kinda threads, how kinda sad person OP has to be to even conceive this kinda mindset.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the amount of crazy micro transactions added to wow since Legion is next level. Just since Shadowlands it feels like they added soo much...Deluxe Edition for TBC is disgusting price also.
    The cash shop started in WotLK with the Celestial Steed. Before that it was the TCG loot rewards. There are not crazy amounts of microtransactions since Legion but more of the same thing that has been happening for a while. Just as you admit your fear mobile games for no reason you have a skewed perception of what the game was and has been for years.

You dislike the trends that have existed for decades? Blizzard has always been slow to develop new products and IP's. The weird part about yours and similar posts are how they ignore how Blizzard was in the past but do not do so now.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    They already make more than enough for this. They aren't doing it though. They simply leverage the money into more money. Blizzard is lost. I don't fault them companies are there to make money but they just aren't going to get mine for a while.
    But you're perfectly fine helping to give them the publicity they want in order to keep doing what you imply you dislike?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The cash shop started in WotLK with the Celestial Steed. Before that it was the TCG loot rewards. There are not crazy amounts of microtransactions since Legion but more of the same thing that has been happening for a while. Just as you admit your fear mobile games for no reason you have a skewed perception of what the game was and has been for years.

You dislike the trends that have existed for decades? Blizzard has always been slow to develop new products and IP's. The weird part about yours and similar posts are how they ignore how Blizzard was in the past but do not do so now.
    You're not actually surprised by their ad populum, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    The fact that you and so many idiots do not understand what microtransactions actually are is frankly pathetic.

WoW doea not use or have "microtransactions", if you think the shop is ot even the deluxe packages are; you are just stupid.

Microtransactions enlicit player power; the shop in no way has ever gave player power; and before you try. The boost is not player power as it is weaker than the average player at thar level. If you want microtransactions look at FF14. Funny how no one talks about them when theh actually do have 100x more microtransactions than wow and theirs do give player power.
    mi·cro·trans·ac·tion
    /ˌmīkrōtranˈzakSH(ə)n/
    noun
    a very small financial transaction conducted online.
    "analysts believe the company would earn a lot from pay-as-you-go microtransactions"

Anything other than a "oh, guess I'm wrong" will be considered trolling and will be reported as such lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Probably not the path that will lead profit-making companies to eliminate their revenue practices. In fact, it's likely to lead to just the opposite. I will agree though that people that can't resist buying store stuff and then complain about it are a large part of the problem.
    I disagree. If we see a sort of crash like the 80s did, when all the trash companies producing trash products go bankrupt, itll again open the door for smaller companies making better products with passion and heart.

I work for a startup that was bought by a public company and I've stayed on for years after the acquisition. While the company now makes wildly more money, starting salaries, benefits, perks, and product quality are all down. The people who actually cared about the products were slowly replaced by souless ghouls with corporate culture seminar decks jammed up their asses. Tasks were progressively outsourced until the work we started getting back had to be completely redone. But hey, profits are way up. So in other words it's a raging success. I figure it's the same all over.

Cause it is true. Just cause morons do not understand business does not make it so. I pay 20k a year in taxes for my business and I get it all back after I do my taxes. Cause I file them correctly and know how the real world works. Something most on here do not know.
    I think you missed the point. That it works like that everyone knows. They are saying it shouldnt work like that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Microtransactions enlicit player power.
    The worst MTX do provide player power, but there are also cosmetic MTX. The latter aren't any less MTX just because they happen to not provide any player power.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Blizzard don't pay taxes so I think they're doing fine :P
    Not paying taxes, Well. That is false. Though, the amount is not correct for at least two of the years.

But financially doing fine is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    Why would they put the money they make into that when they can give bobby another 200 million bonus?
    Luckily (most likely PR stunt) Kotick was not given 200 million (then again, originally wasn't given 200 million in the first place but due to stocks, well, money grows) as he rejected the bonus, and even accepted a pay cut.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that you and so many idiots do not understand what microtransactions actually are is frankly pathetic.

WoW doea not use or have "microtransactions", if you think the shop is ot even the deluxe packages are; you are just stupid.

Microtransactions enlicit player power; the shop in no way has ever gave player power; and before you try. The boost is not player power as it is weaker than the average player at thar level. If you want microtransactions look at FF14. Funny how no one talks about them when theh actually do have 100x more microtransactions than wow and theirs do give player power.
    Pardon me?

What you described was basically P2W. Microtransactions are in a step used to unlock P2W options, or it can unlock a general product or service within the game. Nothing more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

...So they might make actual good games and new IP's.

If you are fine with the current new rounds of money-grabbing...Fine, be it so...

Honestly, its like Asmongold said it...Us nerds, us achievement hunters with 500 mounts and 30k nerd points...Us whales, were in an abusive relationship. First they re-verse the 35 fee for copy transfer in classic, but then strike right back with a TCG item and 6 month sub mount. Honestly, the amount of crazy micro transactions added to wow since Legion is next level. Just since Shadowlands it feels like they added soo much...Deluxe Edition for TBC is disgusting price also.

Gut, I fear mobile gaming...First it was annoying how much money they made, and like the...focus and attention, BUT NOW! it seems like PC games has to compete with these abusive money grabbing methods. We can see that with cod mobile, and how Blizzard aint even important or whatever...

I just hope that Blizzard then actually makes money to further development for actually good games, IP's or paying better wages...idk. I don't see much "WOW Factor" about Diablo 4 so far, Overwatch 2 seems pointless and WoW seems beaten by a weeb game (Lets be honest here) from Japan in numbers, that apparently has even worse microtransactions. And all their other games and re-makes are barely alive...Honestly if it wasent for Diablo 2 re-make Blizzard dont even have any anything but TBC classic, which I doubt will ever get as popular as classic did for those first months...

I really, really dislike how these trends are heading. Cause I know I will buy the fucking deluxe version cause of the freaking mount, and then later I hope the 6 month sub mount goes on sale in like 1-2 years at December...Im pathetic, we all are for buying this crap. And im saying im pathetic when I don't even spend money on it, but I do spend time...I have 22 million atm in wow, I AH play a lot in wow, but I know that every time Blizzard takes a shit thats a million gold gone in wow tokens...And the tokens are only going up in price lately...
    i dont know how old are you or in what business/company you work. but its obvious that you hav zero insight how a company like Blizzard in reality works. a few comments here:

1)
    you will not get what you think. the company is already a multibillion dollar company and has more than enough money for making „good games“. even when they earn a trizillion dollarz and will be even richer than Apple, it would not change anything and they would make not more or less „good games“ than now. because they earn the money. they dont invest it in better products. they maximize it. they are not interessted in you playing a „good game“. they are interessted in maximizing their profit. unlimited. there was a time, when the formula in this industry was „good product (game) = good profit“. but these times are long over. today you make way more profit with cost effective development (invest least possible with max outcome), good marketing, recycling, cheap shit products and eye catching etc. aka let shit look like gold. today its all about quarter numbers. no longer you aim for long term investment with longterm loyal customers. quality and good products are replaced in this industry by smart cash grab systems like the wow token, mobile gaming, targeting broad mass audience instead a dedicated target audience and so on. since many many years. so, when interessted in maximize profit, you do all of this (the things you critizize) and i.e. make mobile games and cash grab systems, instead making „good games“ for a dedicated target audience. Blizzard already reached that point many many years ago. and they have already more than enough money to make „good games“. its just that the money making concept not work that way.

2)
    wow token: hopefully you realized that Blizz earns 7 bugs for free by doing nothing, for every token ever passing the AH. they make millions and billions with that. before i.e. you can buy a token in the AH with gold to pay your sub (-13 bugs for blizz) anotzer one had to buy a token with 20 bugs RL money and put the token in the AH (+20 bugs for blizz). so it feels like a winwin situation for ppl that can quickly buy gold and ppl that pay their sub with token. its an automatic system and for every winwin blizz gets 7 bugs by doing nothing. so the real winner is Blizz. most ppl not even realize this. thats why its called a „smart“ cash grab system. why i explain this to you ? for 2 reasons:

a)
    a lot of the negative impact in quality comes from wow game design, that directly supporting this smart cash grab system. you can look at PUG finder hoooow many WTS entries you find there these days. thats because you need rating for m+ or pvp to update your gear. therefore a lot of ppl let em boost by boost grps. how you get boosted? by paying a boost grp gold. how you get gold fast? right, by buying a token. now you can see why its called „smart“ cash grab system.

b)
    you said at the end of your post, you use tokens. what you should realize: your critical aspects you complained about is a direct result of the fact that Blizz can make more money with that things. this means whenever you use a token you help them and say „you are right Blizz“ with making the things you dont like. you teach them that they can make more profit with that stuff, than with good games. so, with every token you use (even when its -13 bugs for you) you will produce the exact opposite you want (good games) because you help them making more money with shit like this. thats the evil thing with such systems.

3)
    nothing what a said here is Blizzard specific. its a common paradigm change that happened in many industries already years ago. Blizzard is just one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    They already make more than enough for this. They aren't doing it though. They simply leverage the money into more money. Blizzard is lost. I don't fault them companies are there to make money but they just aren't going to get mine for a while.
    or this. /10c

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Kim Kardashians mobile game was one of the highest revenue games for a while so that should indicate the relationship between quality and financial success.
    or that. /10c

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    I guess I haven't been paying attention, when in Legion onward has Blizzard loaded WoW with microtransactions? I mean I know they are doing the 6 month mount promo, but I don't see Shadowlands being loaded to bear with MT.

The sad part is, as I said in a different thread, this IS the gaming industry now, Blizzard is just jumping on the MT train a little later than other companies, though hasn't HotS, HS & OW already had them for years now?

Fully expect all new games they do develop to be loaded with them. Until gamers as a community actually push back, it won't change, and that probably won't happen, because you'll always have whales, if not whole countries that eat it up. And I say someone who is guilty of buying from the shop in the past.
    or that. /10c
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-05-21 at 07:29 AM.