10+ Year Old Account
    West Brom got mugged, belting goal from Allison though.

Man only has one less than Werner all season in the PL.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    West Brom got mugged, belting goal from Allison though.

Man only has one less than Werner all season in the PL.
    Allison has 5 goals?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    Allison has 5 goals?
    I fucked up the joke. 1 less in 2021.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't tell if United are holding back due to the final or if they're just not very good.

Man City should be made to play all their games with 10 players, much more fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow no doubt why Kane might not want to play in this shower of shit, fucking heartbreaking to see how weve fallen in 2 years, not just the performances but the passion and effort of the players. We are not one of those fan bases that boo our team, but today....

I really hope Kane picks the right team and will love watching him get a winners medal, what a legend he's been for us, one of our own! Maybe he'll get forced to stay by Levy but that looked like an emotional farewell from him at the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was listening to the radio this morning and they were interviewing Belgium's coach Roberto Martinez, and it got me thinking about international tournaments and my favorite moments from them in the previous years or even decades, and no doubt you can guess my most recent one has to be the 2018 World Cup Round of 16 match between Belgium and Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJeJuc27ggE

I can remember exactly how I felt, that match was an emotional roller coaster. I was watching it with my parents (who don't usually watch football) and even they were on the edge of their seats. From thinking Belgium were crashing out, to one of the best counter attacks in recent history... I think I felt every emotion possible that evening.

So to make this somewhat relevant to this topic, I was wondering what your lot favorite moment is from an international tournament. Can obviously be anything, from your own national team or another etc, and doesn't necessarily need to be "recent". Just interested in seeing what people come up with and what I remember from your own input

If you were rooting for Belgium that must have felt great, as a neutral watching I remember feeling really bad for Japan who (from what I remembered) put up a great fight and as a neutral I always root for the underdog in these kind of games so I didn't get the same feeling from that goal.

Sweden don't really tend to go that far in these tournaments (maybe out of the group and then knocked out fairly early) so I don't really have any personal ones on that same level that I can remember but there's other games I remember clearly like the Germany - England one with the ball that was over the line but didn't result in a goal (the World Cup in South Africa i think?) and obviously other games with notorious results like Germany pounding Brazil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    If you were rooting for Belgium that must have felt great, as a neutral watching I remember feeling really bad for Japan who (from what I remembered) put up a great fight and as a neutral I always root for the underdog in these kind of games so I didn't get the same feeling from that goal.

Sweden don't really tend to go that far in these tournaments (maybe out of the group and then knocked out fairly early) so I don't really have any personal ones on that same level that I can remember but there's other games I remember clearly like the Germany - England one with the ball that was over the line but didn't result in a goal (the World Cup in South Africa i think?) and obviously other games with notorious results like Germany pounding Brazil.
    I still have so many great memories from 94 in the US when Sweden won bronze medal! So many awesome memories from that tournament even tho i was only 14 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I was listening to the radio this morning and they were interviewing Belgium's coach Roberto Martinez, and it got me thinking about international tournaments and my favorite moments from them in the previous years or even decades, and no doubt you can guess my most recent one has to be the 2018 World Cup Round of 16 match between Belgium and Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJeJuc27ggE

So to make this somewhat relevant to this topic, I was wondering what your lot favorite moment is from an international tournament. Can obviously be anything, from your own national team or another etc, and doesn't necessarily need to be "recent". Just interested in seeing what people come up with and what I remember from your own input
    England 1 Greece 2, Germany going to the World Cup instead of England who just need a draw to finish above them. 93 minutes a free kick 25 yards from goal Beckham places the ball......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    England 1 Greece 2, Germany going to the World Cup instead of England who just need a draw to finish above them. 93 minutes a free kick 25 yards from goal Beckham places the ball......

That game was pretty much all Beckham, I've never seen a single person carry a team so hard as he did that game. He kept getting closer and closer with every free kick and shot on goal he had.

That and the Sheringham equaliser where he literally runs on as a sub, and straight into heading the ball into the net, legend.

That game was pretty much all Beckham, I've never seen a single person carry a team so hard as he did that game. He kept getting closer and closer with every free kick and shot on goal he had.

That and the Sheringham equaliser where he literally runs on as a sub, and straight into heading the ball into the net, legend.
    Yep completely, I have seen a player carry and drag a team kicking and screaming into the world cup finals the way Beckham did that day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Yeah when I'm watching a game in the Euros or World Cup as a neutral I mostly hope the underdog wins too hehe, or just hope it's a good match at least. While I was happy Belgium made a come back, Japan indeed played very well and I honestly thought that was the end of the road until Fellaini scored.

Damn that's 20 years ago! I remember watching that too, Beckham was a joy to watch (in general).
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-05-22 at 05:07 AM.

if you put beckham in any top team with a confident striker in the air thats easy 30+ goals a season. Modern players just dont seem to have improved crossing much at all, maybe because so much focus is on fast footwork and moving the ball quickly on the ground vs the air. But damn when someone can actually ping balls in with good speed for powerful headers its easy goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Yeah when I'm watching a game in the Euros or World Cup as a neutral I mostly hope the underdog wins too hehe, or just hope it's a good match at least. While I was happy Belgium made a come back, Japan indeed played very well and I honestly thought that was the end of the road until Fellaini scored.

Damn that's 20 years ago! I remember watching that too, Beckham was a joy to watch (in general).
    Weirdly enough I was watching Beckham the week before at Spurs, he was on fire but somehow at half-time Spurs were 3-0 up. Second half he bossed the game like in that England game, people will talk about spurs choking but truth is Beckham won that game, 5-3 to Man Utd at full time, maybe the worse game I ever went to and there's been a few. When people talk about the GOAT Beckham is never in the conversation, maybe he was a bit one dimensional but def one of the best I ever saw.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course about a month before all that there was :-

We lost the battle, but we won the war.

We are fucking huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    We lost the battle, but we won the war.

We are fucking huge.
    But the thought of you cheering a Gareth Bale goal for Spurs maybe the season highlight! Did it make you feel dirty?

Best memory from international football gotta be the 5-1 victory over Spain by Netherlands, I was exctatic.

Netherlands' squad looks promising, but to pick the best line up can be tricky. Utilizing a back 3 with wingbacks could have a really good effect, considering the CBs are of better quality than the wingbacks. Gravenbech will be interesting to watch, and I hope that De Roon finds himself on the bench, he doesn't bring anything to the team and is such an uncreative player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    if you put beckham in any top team with a confident striker in the air thats easy 30+ goals a season. Modern players just dont seem to have improved crossing much at all, maybe because so much focus is on fast footwork and moving the ball quickly on the ground vs the air. But damn when someone can actually ping balls in with good speed for powerful headers its easy goals.
    And also the long low crosses bending around the defenders, those are so lethal. De Bruyne has been producing those kind of balls for a time now, and at the moment no one does it better either.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Don't know if this was true, but Batistuta was trying to get Fiorentina to sign Beckham, saying he'd (Batigoal) score an extra 10 goals a season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    Don't know if this was true, but Batistuta was trying to get Fiorentina to sign Beckham, saying he'd (Batigoal) score an extra 10 goals a season.
    The irony being that for many United fans, and Ferguson in the late 90s, Batistuta was the dream signing to make use of Beckham's delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Weirdly enough I was watching Beckham the week before at Spurs, he was on fire but somehow at half-time Spurs were 3-0 up. Second half he bossed the game like in that England game, people will talk about spurs choking but truth is Beckham won that game, 5-3 to Man Utd at full time, maybe the worse game I ever went to and there's been a few. When people talk about the GOAT Beckham is never in the conversation, maybe he was a bit one dimensional but def one of the best I ever saw.
    That game is one of my fondest memories of time with my Dad. We couldn't believe that second half at all, quietly one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

The irony being that for many United fans, and Ferguson in the late 90s, Batistuta was the dream signing to make use of Beckham's delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

That game is one of my fondest memories of time with my Dad. We couldn't believe that second half at all, quietly one of the greatest comebacks of all time.
    Special memories...I have many from time spent on the shelf at White Hart Lane with my Granddad his fault Im a Spurs fan, and wouldn't swap them for anything!