Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Nothing was "sold", you pledge to help make the game and the game is being made. That's it. When crowdfunding you accept the waiting by default. Anyone who doesn't like the waiting, shouldn't have pledge to crowdfund a video-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah please stay far away from Star Citizen.

Go with Elite, they just released a new update. NMS added the Mass Effect Ship and Starfield is just around the corner.
    Keep showing what kind of employees and players Star Citizen has.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I have to ask cause this has been bugging me for a while, but how many ships would have to be remodeled or redesigned just to accommodate salvaging?
    Salvaging mechanic is dependent on network tech (iCache + Persistence) due to the nature of the "physicalisation" of items.

It's dependent on the ability of the items database registering and saving the change of state between a player ship » destroyed » debris that can be salvageable and processed for example.

The actual mechanic of tractor beaming objects is already in place:

What's left to finish is a way to update those items in the universe data base and change their states. That's where iCache + Persistence is used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    snip
    Idris M was announced june 2013 so it was nothing more than pictures at that stage. Most of the ships are available to the players, even the idris and javelin are in states that could be given to players but players wont have access to them until at least after SQ42, ships serve a certain role so if that role is not available to play there is no rush for the ship to be available.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Idris M was announced june 2013 so it was nothing more than pictures at that stage. Most of the ships are available to the players, even the idris and javelin are in states that could be given to players but players wont have access to them until at least after SQ42, ships serve a certain role so if that role is not available to play there is no rush for the ship to be available.
    1) If players have to wait until after SQ42, then you have no idea when it's coming out since there's zero information on when SQ42 is going to come out.

2)There certainly was a rush to sell those ships for roles that aren't and may never be in the game.

I have to ask cause this has been bugging me for a while, but how many ships would have to be remodeled or redesigned just to accommodate salvaging?
    Based one what the devs described when they last envisioned salvage gameplay, ever ship in the game would need to need multiple passes by the art and animation department. It's going to be a lot of work.

• For paint scrapping, every ship is going to need textures and animations for the paint being scrapped off.
    • For removing components from a ship like the powerplant, the art and animation team has been redesigning ships over the past two years adding in component slots, but as of yet not every ship in the game has those component slots yet.
    • For hooking up tubes to a ship and sucking out its fuel and oxygen, each ship in the game is going to need to have fuel and oxygen ports installed, which means another pass from the art and animation team for every ship.
    • Ship crunching: The Reclaimer ship has a gargage/hangar bay that opens up. The idea is that you're going to tow in small ships for the sawblades and rollers and robot arms inside the Reclaimer to chop up, but as of right now the internals of the salvage bay is completely non-functional. The robot arms don't animate, etc.
    • Furthermore, each ship in the game is going to need to be animated to break up into even smaller parts than already, with multiple different models and textures depending on how far down the crunching pipeline the ship has gone.

In other words, it's going to be a HUMONGOUS amount of work just tweaking each ship in the game just to make them work for salvage gameplay. There are like 100+ different ship models if you include the variants (because most ship variants aren't just reskins; they have different models so they have to be tweaked individually)

And it's lovely seeing armchair dev'ing about how much effort if being put into making ships when having 0 clue about what it takes to develop them.
    As if you don't sit in the same spot as an armchair dev. You only spout what CIG tells you to or what you read or hear from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeap much worse than CIG but still better than many other companies.
    LOL okay. Blizz is worse than CIG to you. EA must be worse too! You are so far gone it is laughable. 27,000 for a ship btw. 27k.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll be here alright, with another tantrum over some random insignificant issues as an excuse to obsess over the collapse of video game with the smile mask on.

No doubt about that.
    You just devolve into insults when you're cornered or have no real response to give. You do it all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing was "sold", you pledge to help make the game and the game is being made. That's it. When crowdfunding you accept the waiting by default. Anyone who doesn't like the waiting, shouldn't have pledge to crowdfund a video-game.
    CIG can call it a 'pledge' all they want. They have a cash shop that sells ships. It is no different than a cash shop in WoW that sells server transfers or a cash shop in SWtOR that sells transmogs or the shop in FFXIV.

- - - Updated - - -

1) If players have to wait until after SQ42, then you have no idea when it's coming out since there's zero information on when SQ42 is going to come out.
    Don't you know? Those two have inside information us armchair devs just don't understand!

I'm starting to think this thread absolutely has to be paid marketing for Star Citizen.

It was like five pages ago at this point that someone made a list of dozens of quotes from one of the posters here covering months, if not years, of posting in this thread in defense of Star Citizen, it's development phase, CiG, and Chris Roberts, showing that those quotes are often totally contradictory to each other. To my mind, making points like that and using them to respond to other posters and then totally 180ing on those opinions to reply to other posters would be bannable for "trolling" in any other thread on this forum. People are often infracted/banned and threads closed for less elsewhere on the site (e.g threads where OPs intentionally take the less-popular side of the topic of the day and try to work people up over it) and yet in this particular thread, it seems only the people who disagree with Star Citizen and its tactics ever suffer from moderation.

The most important part of this as far as I can tell is that, without two specific "pro-SC" posters making constant comments that are easily disprovable, this thread would have died hundreds of pages ago. The tempo of dev updates and the lack of hype or interest for the game itself simply would not keep the thread alive on their own, so it relies on what appears to be manufactured conflict instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    The most important part of this as far as I can tell is that, without two specific "pro-SC" posters making constant comments that are easily disprovable, this thread would have died hundreds of pages ago. The tempo of dev updates and the lack of hype or interest for the game itself simply would not keep the thread alive on their own, so it relies on what appears to be manufactured conflict instead.
    Yeah. Me and Proskill seem to be the only people on MMO-C who pop in here to actually discuss our experiences playing the game, but it seems that Proskill might have stopped following SC altogether. If I were to come back here to talk about updates, and after a few posts in a row of me being the only guy talking in this thread, I'd stop and let it die. Even the Trails thread gets way more actual discussion than this.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is no set timeframe of the development of a game, it takes as long as it takes to get developed. There is no set money for making a game it just costs what it costs.
    OMG, stop with this bullshit.

This is not how real businesses, or real projects, work.

There SHOULD be a maximum price tag associated with ANY project. No company (or entity of any kind really, including government) in the world would allow any project to just continue sucking money and time with no end in sight for as long as it took to see it to completion. That would be irresponsible. And it just makes it so the project team wouldn't WANT to finish, because they keep getting paid as long as it's in production limbo.......sounds a little familiar to me.....

Its better to delay until a project is actually ready to be released, and what did you expect, chris roberts has stated it himself he will not release anything that is not ready, dont back a project unless your 100% all in for it.
    This is why I haven't given them anything. I'll buy the game when it's actually fully released. Not before. Chris Roberts track record was enough for me to keep my wallet closed for this one.

The final release version is all that matters, thats just a simple fact,
    Factual to whom?

That's not all that matters to me, and you don't speak for anyone and everyone in the world. Stop acting like you do.

in the end noone cares about how much it cost or how long it took,
    Again, absolute horseshit.

The fact that there are several people in this thread and forum alone who disagree with you, including me, makes this statement objectively false.

once its in the players hands all that matters is that the game is enjoyable and has most of what it was trying to offer the playerbase.
    That game doesn't exist yet......I do find it hilarious that you added the "most of what...." qualifier. If this game doesn't have absolutely everything it promised it would, with the PR bullshit Chris Roberts has said about it only being released when it's ready, and you people accept that... I can't even begin to put together a string of words strong enough to express what my disgust would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah. Me and Proskill seem to be the only people on MMO-C who pop in here to actually discuss our experiences playing the game, but it seems that Proskill might have stopped following SC altogether. If I were to come back here to talk about updates, and after a few posts in a row of me being the only guy talking in this thread, I'd stop and let it die. Even the Trails thread gets way more actual discussion than this.
    I've probably read ~50+ pages of this thread and your posts have been, realistically, the only ones that have taught me anything about Star Citizen as an actual game and I appreciate that. It genuinely sounds like something that could be fun, but it's at least 10 years away from being fun if the guy at the top actually wants it to ever be finished, and I don't believe that he does. There is some stuff going on with the game that seems really shady (subcontracting certain parts of development to a studio with no relevant experience that you just so happen to own a stake in, selling in-game content for thousands upon thousands of dollars and then not having provided it almost a decade later) to the point where I think any real expectation of the game ever reaching the goals that have been set is beyond hopeless.

It's been fun to watch a thread go round and round in circles for a while but I really think at this point it needs some moderation beyond a post 15 pages ago saying "stop it".

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    As if you don't sit in the same spot as an armchair dev. You only spout what CIG tells you to or what you read or hear from them.
    Yeah because, contrary to you I actually make an effort to research about the topic I'm talking about, I actually play it and follow it's development and don't have a grudge against it.

LOL okay. Blizz is worse than CIG to you. EA must be worse too! You are so far gone it is laughable. 27,000 for a ship btw. 27k.
    What 27,000 ship? You talking crazy there isn't a ship that costs 27k why blatantly lie and troll about something so easily disproved.

You can only reach such values in a game if you go for Bundle Pack's that include a lot of vehicles.

Exactly like it happens with Flight Simulator, Train Simulator, DCS and many other Simulation games.

The major difference is that to experience that content is most sim's you HAVE to buy them while in Star Citizen is optional to help game development since you can still get everything with the cheapest basic package.

You just devolve into insults when you're cornered or have no real response to give. You do it all the time.
    With those arguments you couldn't corner a card-box on a phone booth.
    CIG can call it a 'pledge' all they want. They have a cash shop that sells ships. It is no different than a cash shop in WoW that sells server transfers or a cash shop in SWtOR that sells transmogs or the shop in FFXIV.
    Oh the horror.

Don't you know? Those two have inside information us armchair devs just don't understand!
    If you only read the headlines and don't do your homework you'll always playing catch up and scratching your head.

It genuinely sounds like something that could be fun, but it's at least 10 years away from being fun
    It's already a lot of fun for a lot of people. Or else it wouldn't be the most played and watched space sim on the Twitch platform.

It's already a lot of fun for a lot of people. Or else it wouldn't be the most played and watched space sim on the Twitch platform.
    Again with the twitch boasting. I don't know why you think it's that impressive when SaltyBet gets more viewers then 90% of SC streams. That's how low the bar is set.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for noticing me, senpai i still check this thread from time to time, eventhough i cant find fun in the game itself. the same as i couldnt in EVE Online trying for years, and its a full game. so it says more about me than about those games
    i appreciate the potential the game is trying to make it has. i want to believe it will become a fully fleshed game someday, even if it takes another 10 years. thats the thing, i do not care TOO MUCH about it xd
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Again with the twitch boasting. I don't know why you think it's that impressive when SaltyBet gets more viewers then 90% of SC streams. That's how low the bar is set.
    It's not boasting it's a pertinent fact to compare the community engagement in games of the same genre on the biggest streaming gaming platform.

The same reason why WoW and LoL have more viewers and streamers than other mmorpgs and moba respectively for a reason.

As someone who's into space games why would I care about SaltyBet? If I enjoy drinking wine why would I care that more people prefer coca-cola and vice-versa.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based one what the devs described when they last envisioned salvage gameplay, ever ship in the game would need to need multiple passes by the art and animation department. It's going to be a lot of work.

• For paint scrapping, every ship is going to need textures and animations for the paint being scrapped off.
    • For removing components from a ship like the powerplant, the art and animation team has been redesigning ships over the past two years adding in component slots, but as of yet not every ship in the game has those component slots yet.
    • For hooking up tubes to a ship and sucking out its fuel and oxygen, each ship in the game is going to need to have fuel and oxygen ports installed, which means another pass from the art and animation team for every ship.
    • Ship crunching: The Reclaimer ship has a gargage/hangar bay that opens up. The idea is that you're going to tow in small ships for the sawblades and rollers and robot arms inside the Reclaimer to chop up, but as of right now the internals of the salvage bay is completely non-functional. The robot arms don't animate, etc.
    • Furthermore, each ship in the game is going to need to be animated to break up into even smaller parts than already, with multiple different models and textures depending on how far down the crunching pipeline the ship has gone.

In other words, it's going to be a HUMONGOUS amount of work just tweaking each ship in the game just to make them work for salvage gameplay. There are like 100+ different ship models if you include the variants (because most ship variants aren't just reskins; they have different models so they have to be tweaked individually)
    Honestly, it's this sort of convoluted and excessive design that is holding the game back. And like, one shouldn't expect more ships in the game after it's done, because the amount of work needed to create and complete one ship will never be worth its development cost. A better method might have been to just release the base model ships with all of the mechanics and visuals complete, and release variants after launch.

Yeah because, contrary to you I actually make an effort to research about the topic I'm talking about, I actually play it and follow it's development and don't have a grudge against it.
    Still makes you an armchair dev, btw.

- - - Updated - - -

What 27,000 ship? You talking crazy there isn't a ship that costs 27k why blatantly lie and troll about something so easily disproved.

You can only reach such values in a game if you go for Bundle Pack's that include a lot of vehicles.
    Ohhhh excuuuuuse me, a 27,000 ship PACK. Yes that is much better, now it is only 27,000 for many ships. Because you know a bundle that is 27,000 is not worse than Blizz's cash shop, EA's loot box bullshit and so on. SC is lighting the way on how cash shops should be handled.

- - - Updated - - -

With those arguments you couldn't corner a card-box on a phone booth.
    The usual lobbed insult, gotcha

- - - Updated - - -

Is it the most played though? You cannot prove that. You do not have complete numbers for who plays each game. You can only go off of steam numbers and what CIG claims for their playerbase. This is leaving out information of different systems and launchers for ED.

As far as Twitch goes those numbers are pathetic for the entire genre. If you are happy about them that is fine but it isn't much to brag about.

FTR it is a $35,000 pack or $42,000 if you live in the UK/EU. It used to be $27,000 but they continued releasing ships and so the "ultimate" pack needing a revamp.

- - - Updated - - -

Or else it wouldn't be the most played and watched space sim on the Twitch platform.
    Most watched, not most played. It's probably closer to the least played game tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    FTR it is a $35,000 pack or $42,000 if you live in the UK/EU. It used to be $27,000 but they continued releasing ships and so the "ultimate" pack needing a revamp.
    He was far too happy to jump on me saying 27k for a ship and correcting what to realize just how scummy it is for such a ship pack to exist in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Most watched, not most played. It's probably closer to the least played game tbh.
    It'll be like people arguing about WoW subs, can't prove one side of it because not all numbers are released, just what steam tells us in this case when that ignores console and their own launcher.

It's not boasting it's a pertinent fact to compare the community engagement in games of the same genre on the biggest streaming gaming platform.

The same reason why WoW and LoL have more viewers and streamers than other mmorpgs and moba respectively for a reason.

As someone who's into space games why would I care about SaltyBet? If I enjoy drinking wine why would I care that more people prefer coca-cola and vice-versa.
    Because you're boasting, and you are, about numbers so low that a bot running ai matches of custom characters has 2x to 3x as many viewers then SC streams. It's really pathetic and hilarious that you always come back to this. Sure, compared to other "space games" theres comparatively more people watching SC if only because the other games are 5+ years old at this point.

That is because any and all actuall discussion is drowned by pointless hate that is not going anywhere, and pointless "But its awesome" that is not going anywhere.

If it were up to me, I would have banned all those from the thread, that way one would be actually able to discuss stuff that happens in SC. Be it Positiv or Negativ.

I've probably read ~50+ pages of this thread and your posts have been, realistically, the only ones that have taught me anything about Star Citizen as an actual game and I appreciate that. It genuinely sounds like something that could be fun, but it's at least 10 years away from being fun if the guy at the top actually wants it to ever be finished, and I don't believe that he does.
    This is the point and why people still back the project. Because, "If It succeeds, its going to be Awesome".

There is no harm in leaving the Project be, until it fails or delivers, and not back the game. And if someone decides to back the game he should have enough of a brain to know that the chances of his money beeing wasted are much larger than the chances of the game launching, or even launching the way he hopes.

... to the point where I think any real expectation of the game ever reaching the goals that have been set is beyond hopeless.
    This is also a true thing. Star Citizen can never ever reach the goals, expectations and hopes some (and probably many) have for it. One needs to be realistic.
    Saying: "The game will definitely crash and burn", or "It will never release" are idiotic statements, because unless I missed something TimeTravel is not yet invented, you dont know what the future will hold, there appear to be enough people to keep funding the game, as long as the money flows, CIG would be stupid to can the project. (Not saying it couldn´t happen).

But its almost certain that upon the day when CIG decides: "Its done", or "Its Mostly Done", many people will be dissappointed because its not exactly what they envisioned or hoped for. However, I feel (depending on how they tackle the big issues), at that point it can be quite an enjoyable game.
    Could be that I personally wont have fun (anymore), but I think alot of people will find fun.

It's been fun to watch a thread go round and round in circles for a while but I really think at this point it needs some moderation beyond a post 15 pages ago saying "stop it".
    This, as said Previously, I would just Bann those 4-5 (I think) People from the thread.
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2021-05-23 at 06:17 PM.