Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    its mostly crypto tho. they are putting shit on the card that makes them bad at crypto or at least the drivers are
    No it isn't. If it was then there wouldn't also be a shortage of CPUs, consoles, and chips for cars.
    All silicon fabs have been running at 100% for like a year straight at this point, and it's still not enough supply

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You can blame Crypto scum for that. It's also the only way to really get a gaming GPU right now.
    again, not crypto, but general shortage

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    No it isn't. If it was then there wouldn't also be a shortage of CPUs, consoles, and chips for cars.
    All silicon fabs have been running at 100% for like a year straight at this point, and it's still not enough supply

again, not crypto, but general shortage
    There is a shortage in general but when you have crypto rigs running 8 gpus and only needing 1 cpu (that doesnt need to be high end) then it impacts the gpu market much more

its mostly crypto tho. they are putting shit on the card that makes them bad at crypto or at least the drivers are
    It really isnt crypto. Even before the latest Etherium craze hit, there wasn't enough supply to meet just the demand of gamers. (For example, EVGA switched to a list order system where they email you in the order you signed up for a notification (if you signed up prior to launch day).

They still haven't cleared the people who signed up before launch day on the 3080. (I signed up for all three XC3 models of the 3080, two weeks before launch, and have not received an email about any of the three).

That was back in August before the latest Etherium rush.

There isn't enough product to meet demand, even if you totally remove crypto. That simple.

Its not like nVidia shorted the market or anything - they had THREE TIMES the number of 3080s, 3090s, and 3070s ready for launch compared to the 2000 series launch. They still sold out in seconds. Demand for new parts (in large part because the 2000 series was an extremely underwhelming bump over the 1000 series - with a 1080Ti being just as good as a 2080, for example) was mega high, and driven even higher due to the pandemic, which ALSO made things worse by causing silicon shortages and backlogs (TSMC generally keeps 10-15% of their capacity in any given month free for "on demand" orders - but they haven't been able to do that at all because they had to shut down for weeks, so all the time they normally could use to, say, produce new GPUs for AMD or nVidia, is being relegated to fulfilling orders they missed during the shutdown and the continual fallout from that).

All the Crypto demand did was raise the prices of the few cards that do hit the market because Crypto miners will pay more because all they care about is ROI.

Even if all Crypto demand died instantly tomorrow, supply will not get better. All that will happen is that the price may fall back to being "only" 50% higher than MSRP like it was in September/Oct of last year when it was just gamers buying the scalped cards. When i grabbed my 3080 (after weeks patiently watching Facebook Market multiple times daily for someone to post something even resembling a reasonable price that i could bargain with) the average selling price of the 3080s was already ~1200 - 500 over the then-MSRP. Higher end 3rd party boards were higher than that.

And that was BEFORE the 25% tariff hike that hit on Jan 1 which has raised the effective MSRP to just shy of 900$. (People keep forgetting that happened and continue to compare current prices to MSRPs that were announced in 2020 and are no longer remotely valid).

So what you're going to see is maybe the price will drop back to +50% of MSRP like it was when "only" gamers were looking for cards - so well over 1300$ for a 3080.

But availability wont get better. Both AMD and nVidia (and the people making the GPUs for them - TSMC and Samsung, respectively - have said straight up they dont see their production roadblocks getting any better until well in to 2022... and that has a heavy "probably" attached to it.) have said production will be slow for the rest of the year at least.

If you need a new GPU any time in the next 12-19 months, just make peace with the fact that the effective prices are going to be well over MSRP unless you are willing to wait on a LONG list with a company like EVGA - that still hasnt even cleared the PRE-LAUNCH queue - to get a shot at an "MSRP" card - and if you're in the US, understand that that MSRP that nVidia stated last year is irrelevant as it now has a 25% tariff tacked on to it because none of those companies (EVGA showed back in ... 2019 or so? that their profit margin on GPUs is like sub 5%) can afford to eat a 25%-of-cost tariff - theyll be passing EVERY PENNY of that on to you, the consumer.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a shortage in general but when you have crypto rigs running 8 gpus and only needing 1 cpu (that doesnt need to be high end) then it impacts the gpu market much more
    You know what else impacts GPU availability? Them actually being a good upgrade over the 1/2000 series, and literally everyone wanting one.

And you know what hurts your idea that crypto miners are buying them? The fact that Ethereum (the primary crypto currency that's worth farming with GPUs, and the source of the current craze) is swapping away from a proof of work to proof of stake shortly, so Ethereum miners aren't going to be buying GPUs anymore, hell some of them might even dump their farms shortly

i changed my mind and i got a rtx3070 prebuilt for 2.2k euro

i didnt rly need a rtx3080 for 1440p gaming and at least this one has 1tb of nVME SSD and a better processor than the ryzen one and it fits my budget better

PC Gaming ASUS ROG Strix GT15 cu procesor Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF pana la 5.10 GHz, Comet Lake, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, No OS

https://www.emag.ro/sistem-desktop-p.../pd/DMHXLNMBM/

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Also not assured with many pre-builts as they cheap out on mobos typically.
    To quote myself here:

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Yes they do that but OP posted the original listings and you can see they use a Z490 mainboard so he can expect the RAM to run at 3600mhz.