Thread: [FILM] Eternals

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

[FILM] Eternals

Not sure what the Eternals are but I heard they're related to Thanos. Also, Angelina Jolie, Kit, and Stark are apart of the MCU. Wow
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Well, that looks generic.

Can't wait for the Snydercut...

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Well, that looks generic.
    can you name a few shows that actualy portray the same theme as this?i cant rly think of any atm

also my problem with this,and for all i know there is a good lore explanation for it but i just dont know about it.....but....were these guys like...powerless to stop thanos at like ANY point??

IDK what it is, but this kind of speaks to me.

Yeah it seems kinda nondescript, but maybe it's the aesthetic or something... it just feels good.

Gotta wait until I see it, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    can you name a few shows that actualy portray the same theme as this?i cant rly think of any atm

also my problem with this,and for all i know there is a good lore explanation for it but i just dont know about it.....but....were these guys like...powerless to stop thanos at like ANY point??
    They literally say in the trailer. We guide, not interfere..... until now.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

I'm mildly interested by the deaf hero and the supposedly gay hero (wonder if either of them will have any actually visual representation as well), but as a whole - because I don't know much about Marvel history, they seem fairly generic thus far. I guess it's also hard to introduce new fandoms into the MCU (such as X-Men, F4, or... this?), especially if we're made to be believe they've been around for X years.

All these world-destroying events and you just decide to watch from afar?

Maybe Eternals will have a better reasoning, but I guess I could see it happening for X-Men if they are ever introduced. Maybe F4 haven't gone to space yet, but why wouldn't the X-Men at the very least have helped people out with Thanos/Ultron/etcetera?

Because, to guide someone, you'll also need to have someone to guide. Can't do that when Thanos wipes out half of the population, or Ultron threatens to wipe them all out.

Edit: I guess with the film supposedly being banned in China, we might finally get an actual gay kiss or smth as well on screen?? Here's to hoping Marvel will have Zhao also direct Fantastic Four and we'll get a gay Johnny Storm (Spideytorch!!) instead.
    Last edited by Illusions; 2021-05-24 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Not sure what the Eternals are but I heard they're related to Thanos. Also, Angelina Jolie, Kit, and Stark are apart of the MCU. Wow
    Wikipedia helps with those doubts, for people like me who never read the comics.

https://wiki2.org/en/Eternals_(comics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(film)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    They literally say in the trailer. We guide, not interfere..... until now.
    well its unlikely related to thanos,and what else could be worse than destroying half the life in the universe? meh likely someone thats planing to do all of it i guess hah

Its certainly different but if I didn’t know who these characters were beforehand, I probably wouldn’t be interesting. This teaser really didn’t do anything for me.

That looks like a box office bomb. I mean, that was as bad as a Blizzard trailer. A bunch of constipated dialogue around sweeping shots of various landscapes.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

well its unlikely related to thanos,and what else could be worse than destroying half the life in the universe? meh likely someone thats planing to do all of it i guess hah
    maybe the new enemy is going to destroy 52% of the universe.

It looks decent enough, but it doesn't really seem to fit into the MCU for much reason. Sure I know their comic history, but comic books often have all sorts of random stuff, the MCU generally seems like a "tighter" experience. The Avengers were "The Heroes", not SOME heroes in the midst of 100's.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Bingo. And it’s possible they didn’t see a need to step in with the rest because Iron Man and Captain Rogers had it.
    Yeah, but I mean... they were wrong. The Avengers failed, bad, half the universe died. Years later they undid stuff, causing all sorts of additional weirdness.
    Hopefully they at least include a throw-away line that they were barred from interference by Celestial Interference, which got disabled with the Snap or something.

That’s rapidly changing though. It started focused on the Avengers, but even with GotG we got an expansion. Then Spider-Man. Now Eternals, F4, Blade… you get the idea. It’s a much bigger world than we were shown. They always hinted at that though. Hell, project Insight name checked people who were part of that bigger world.
    I think Guardians was a good way to do it, their actions had no impact on Earth for the most part. Even Wakanda was brought in early enough that (other than aliens invading NY, which didn't actually last long) there wasn't something huge that they ignored as it was going on. Spiderman was low-key, as were Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch. The more stuff you add on that has "always been here", the more you stretch the core function of the Earth setting established.

Given that they can DO that, whenever they feel like it. Strange2 is widely discussed as unlocking mutants and probably other strangeness, so they can do whatever they want with all sorts of in universe justification. I just happen to feel it's a bit off the more basic Earth that has been the core setting, and stretching it too much removes the oddness from odd stuff.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Why would they feel the need to stop Thanos? If they'd been around since the beginning of civilization then half of Earth's 2018 population is still a few billion more than were around for most of their time on the planet. They would have been present for the deaths of tens of billions of people throughout history, so what's another 3.5 billion more? Quality of life post snap still looked way better than it would have been say 4,000 years ago.

I have no idea if that would be their reasoning for not interfering, but for eternal beings like that I'd imagine the Thanos snap would be small potatoes. Also, why assume they would even be aware of his plan or the fight to stop him?

In the comics Thanos is part of the Eternals that colonized Titan.

Asking about "Where the fuck was...?" is opening a can of worms that don't make much sense mostly because it happens in the comics too ...constantly...literally hundreds of events came to my mind where a world ending event is happening and it's so big that can not be rationalized some heroes weren't aware.

As random example the year 2018 "Avengers" series is basically a year long Voyager Saga. Not going into detail but two cosmic forces use planet Earth as their playing field and no matter who wins Earth will be destroyed.As a said: it has catastrophic consequences so there's no fucking way the X-men or the FF ( who had already come back) weren't aware. And yet here we are....nowhere to be found in the Voyager Saga ( or in their series). One example of hundreds.

So let's say that the Ethernals were in the same place Cpt.Marvel was during the Sokovia incident: waiting for the call of a device that Nick Fury forgot or ,even better, choose to not use because a world ending "meteor" was not a huge issue. Don't worry Nick!! We were just minutes away from extinction...dont' get agitated...no pressure...if anything you call your friend who eats battleships for breakfast next time if there's a nex time.

The same place the Ancient One was: we surely could have used a dimension bender whose very purpose is protect the world from a homicidal A.I. that was a blink away from erasing humanity.

Look. This is the way the genre works ( both films and comics). The stories are encapsulated in a space-time-narrative bubble that sometimes intersects but for the most part are independent and isolated.Trying to make a cohesive coherent interlaced tale adds depth to the universe but it's impossible...completely impossible to add every side event to the narrative.It's impossible to add new elements to the equation that salvages the storytelling if we are not retconning.

So if we get anything beyond the generic "Humankind can handle their own problems except this one that is the one that push us into action" it will not be nothing different than the Ancient One fighting the chi-tauri during the NY invasion , a side event we ignore for seven years.

The only actual "scene" we saw in the trailer happens from about 1:50 to 2:02. That sadly happens to be extremely stiff acting to me. Fake laughs, and so on. It seems like the chemistry is off from the get go.

Idk.

I'l most likely not watch this in the cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why do they care that half of everyone died? They’ve watched more than that die in their lifetimes already.
    Could be that half of THEM dying wakes them up to do something, hopefully the movie lays some kind of groundwork.

Could have also been they were busy. One of my favorite comic book short stories is Spider-Man’s first encounter with the Juggernaut. He’s calling people trying to get help, nobody is around so he does it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Could have also been they were busy. One of my favorite comic book short stories is Spider-Man’s first encounter with the Juggernaut. He’s calling people trying to get help, nobody is around so he does it himself.
    There's a lot more to that particular storyline. (Juggernaut is the mystical equivalent of the Hulk.)

Interesting. Colors in the forum just changed on me.