Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's a level 58 boost.
    Right you are!

It's an extremely heavy pay to win feature.

In WoW, Time is Money, and by paying to skip all the time investment normally required to get to level 58, you're effectively paying for more power than the non paying person would have.

It's definitely pay to win.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post

In WoW, Time is Money, and by paying to skip all the time investment normally required to get to level 58, you're effectively paying for more power than the non paying person would have.

what is this power you wrote about ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post

It isn't pay to win. You don't understand what pay to win is.

Pay to win is when you pay for something that gives you a substantial boost in the relevant content compared to everyone else who does not.
    TBC content is 58 to 70, no ifs, no buts.

People who only want to play because of TBC do not have to go in old world content at all, nobody, NOBODY is at an advantage or disadvantage in TBC content because another person skipped 1-58.

What about those of us who levelled multiple characters during actual vanilla?
    Can I transfer my multiple characters from retail and get them boosted downwards?
    Are we not allowed to come back for TBC until we go through that dogshit levelling process yet again?
    What do WE gain from redoing 1-58 when none of that content is of any interest to us?

You are wrong. Plain and simple. A one time boost to be able to even START the content you care about is not pay to win, it's barely even pay to catch up because we'll effectively be spending the next 12 levels farming gold while moving at 160% to pay for an epic mount plus two ranks of flying.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2021-02-28 at 07:24 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    It isn't pay to win. You don't understand what pay to win is.

Pay to win is when you pay for something that gives you a substantial boost in the relevant content compared to everyone else who does not.
    Leveling is relevant content for these clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    Leveling is relevant content for these clowns.
    Some people are really weird and believe that spending time = hard

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wow...

I can't believe how worked up some people are getting over this non-issue, it's like some people just want something to rage at...

No, giving players who liked TBC and would like to play it again the option to skip having to spend weeks grinding through obsolete content in order to play TBC is not P2W. Like seriously did you guys start TBC at L0 or at L60? Because I started at L60 and if TBC Classic only had the option of starting from L0 I wouldn't be buying it and you can bet there are thousands and thousands of potential TBC Classic customers who will tell you the same thing.

I'm sure someone will yell that you had to play through Vanilla to play TBC and that is true, but this is supposed to be a recreation of the TBC experience, and the TBC experience did not involve levelling from L0.

it didn't start at level 0 but it did start at level 1 if you rerolled or started fresh as a paladin on the horde or as a shaman on the alliance. which it will again. so this argument that 'we're here for BC' well you still had to level ya alts in BC.

I don't understand the hyperbole of 'weeks of grinding through obsolete content' it took me 11 days to get to 60 as full prot, that was with doing mining and the axesmith quest chain and getting attuned to ony/MC. with the BC pre-patch the XP required to level will likely be lower, you still have that profession levelling, and i'm sure many ppl are pros at the game and don't need any levelling, but some ppl do, the experience, is a tutorial 1-60, and it exists, as it always has, for those who are indeed new to the game.

there is just this problem with this wanting things now mentality that breaks the pacing of these sorts of games, I want it now, well why do we even have to level why not just have pre-made 70s. starts to break down a bit doesn't it? the whole concept of it being a game. its paced out so you feel some inherent value in the effort you've placed into the character. combined with the whole, it is a social tool, you make friends and find guilds by playing the game at all level ranges.

the amount of effort ppl spend whining about pre-mades coulda levelled to 60 by now. bc probably won't be for several months so its not like there isn't ample time to get ready. now would probably be a good time to find a realm or even make a guild in preparation.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-02-28 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher557 View Post
    Why would a bot even waste their money on a boost? They literally have scripts to boost 4-5 of their toons for free that’s fully afk.

Even if, this doesn’t make the botting problem worse lol. 1 week to hit end level compared to 3... oh no the horror. Or we could, you know, actually try to do something about the bots?
    I thought this was a good time to bump and respond to this post now I've been proven 100% correct.

Like I said, why would they level chars manually when they buy a 58 boost and start making gold immediately? Blizzard bans in waves giving them ample time to turn a profit.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Idk. Skipping 100+ hours at least of gameplay feels like pay to win to me.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-05-25 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Idk. Skipping 100+ hours at least of gameplay feels like pay to win to me.
    Thanks for sharing your feelings. In your mind, what are you winning?

Lol, the doom and gloom is back, leveling is now important content in WoW.

Once more posters on here show how out of sync they are with the actual game, and why you can never be taken seriously, and why ratings will always be created in any sort of game , please keeping playing the old versions, make sure you order the statues too, buy HS packs and CoD:MW battle pass, i need my raids to keep releasing in a relevant manner.

For real, mmo-champion has become the facebook of WoW, its like anti-vaxxers and flat earthers but in WoW terms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Its some weird capitalistic or anti-capitalistic way of thinking, i lost track on here by now.

Since all they ever do in their life is being a basic capitalist slave combined with evolutionary need to produce kids, when they decide to do non-money making things, it must be for "turn off brain", no matter what it is, they call it "fun".

Therefor, if others are paying to skip what they consider "Fun", then its by default a pay to win scenario, because they would never do that, they cant comprehend that their "fun" is "irrelevant content" for others, because they cant understand it.

I wish I could just boost my Draenei shaman. Literally hurts no one and I can skip the most boring part of the game. Honestly I think it I didn’t have my friend helping me out with boosts I would have just quit

Not having to level a character for 2 months? Seems pretty damn winning to me. Like seriously consider that. The boost saves average player probably 150 hours normally leveling and questing. Assume they play 2 hours a day. That would actually be like 2.5 months. That doent even take into account people don't play every day, they might play retail as well and don't play classic every day, etc etc.

Just because you aren't looting Ilidans warplaives and getting gladiator doesn't mean you aren't winning.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-05-25 at 06:50 PM.

Not having to level a character for 1-2 months? Seems pretty good to me.
    So youre winning time? Is that what youre saying? Thatll come in real handy for all those time tournaments and races for more time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Most P2W schemes involve having cool things (straightforward access to BC content, in this case) behind either a pay wall or a time/grind wall. Since by definition you can't "win" in a MMO, other than maybe high level PvP, that would imply that MMOs can't be P2W ever. Imagine if they sold endgame gear in the store: by your logic, that wouldn't be P2W either, because in a very narrow sense, you aren't "winning" anything by buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Most P2W schemes involve having cool things (straightforward access to BC content, in this case) behind either a pay wall or a time/grind wall. Since by definition you can't "win" in a MMO, other than maybe high level PvP, that would imply that MMOs can't be P2W ever. Imagine if they sold endgame gear in the store: by your logic, that wouldn't be P2W either, because in a very narrow sense, you aren't "winning" anything by buying it.
    Buying power and saving time are synonymous? Thats not very congruent.

So youre winning time? Is that what youre saying? Thatll come in real handy for all those time tournaments and races for more time.
    You have a different definition of "winning". Thats fine. Looting illidans warglaives or getting gladiator isn't the only way for players to "win". This is an open-ended mmo. You are purposely defining "winning" in a way that fits your narrative. Id say skipping straight to end game allows you more weekly lockouts of gear which would inturn = pay to win.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-05-25 at 06:53 PM.

You have a different definition of "winning". Thats fine. Looting illidans warglaives or getting gladiator isn't the only way for players to "win". This is an open-ended mmo.
    How many definitions of win are there? You cant just make up your own.

5+ Year Old Account
    Buying power and saving time are synonymous?
    Thanks for purposefully misrepresenting my words. Right, technically they aren't synonymous, but both fall under the umbrella of P2W. The more convenient a MTX becomes, the closer it is to P2W, but don't worry, since MMOs can't be P2W ever anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.