Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

What happened to all of the Vanilla purists?

Vanilla is like a graveyard now. This after years and years of people either playing illegally on private servers (because it was so much more fun than retail) and/or demanding that Vanilla be re-released. I for sure thought they would play Vanilla forever. I guess 2 years was enough to satisfy the decade-long controversy.

You thought they did, but they didn't.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    Vanilla is like a graveyard now. This after years and years of people either playing illegally on private servers (because it was so much more fun than retail) and/or demanding that Vanilla be re-released. I for sure thought they would play Vanilla forever. I guess 2 years was enough to satisfy the decade-long controversy.
    In the Immortal words of Mad Max..........

--- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-05-26 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Removed Meme Image
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

They went back to private servers. Classic being stuck at naxx patch with everyone in teir 3 is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    They went back to private servers. Classic being stuck at naxx patch with everyone in teir 3 is boring.
    Never played on a private server, so forgive the question - what happens at that point on a private server? Custom events or raids, etc?

OT:
    The BC hype wave has a lot to do with classic being a ghost town I'm sure. The question is if the servers recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Never played on a private server, so forgive the question - what happens at that point on a private server? Custom events or raids, etc?

OT:
    The BC hype wave has a lot to do with classic being a ghost town I'm sure. The question is if the servers recover.
    Its more just chasing fresh servers. They tend to die after AQ40 patch and then everyone jumps to another private server to do it all over.

As far as if they will recover I think once BC gets into farm phase which will be fairly fast they might recover. A MMO that doesn't update isn't much fun. If blizz releases fresh servers themselves after BC has been out for awhile they most likely would do well.

But TBC is coming out, Why would you not just follow the people?

If no TBC then a lot of people would play naxx until the end of time

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Imagine thinking anyone cares about this anymore. Poor bait. Although I am sure the usual suspects will be in here taking swings at each other in a bit. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    But TBC is coming out, Why would you not just follow the people?

But that's not what people do. The servers start again or another server starts up and people start again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

those people never wanted to play an eternal vanila,those people have a serious boner for constant resets,they either restart on new private servers or in the case of smarter devs play on servers with an constant reseting realm+a token permanent one

its the same reason why diablo 3 still is popular,seasons

because tbc was a strict upgrade to vanilla. no reason not to move on

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    because tbc was a strict upgrade to vanilla. no reason not to move on
    exept in the case of private servers tbc has been among the least popular of the pre cata ones,some people rly dislike flying or the feel of outlands,they like azeroth etc,no the issue is that the classic andys ADORE resets/fresh,so if vanila isnt getting a reset,then tbc is the next best thing for them

I remember people were pretty hyped about Vanilla/TBC progression servers when the two major private providers started working on it. The project later was abandoned because of ongoing drama and some dishonesty issues among the server staff. Later Vanilla Lightbringer was founded, and the official classic got announced year after. So there is no real data to attest to whether majority of population would've stayed or progressed to TBC servers.

What we are seeing today, is that people are enjoying upgraded version of classic, which is what TBC really is, it's a classic 2.0.

Also this

Can't they just release a new server everyone once in a while? Also...if 90% of the player population is moving on to BC anyway, isn't it pretty close to a "reset" anyway?

Can't they just release a new server everyone once in a while? Also...if 90% of the player population is moving on to BC anyway, isn't it pretty close to a "reset" anyway?
    They’ll release seasonal era servers to revitalize MAUs near an end of quarter between expansions/patches.

“Hey, you’re months away from ZA, 9.2 isn’t even close to PTR, why not start fresh on Classic era? Remember that?”

Which I’m totally fine with.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    But that's not what people do. The servers start again or another server starts up and people start again.
    Sounds very dumb, why start over?

Why do all the grinds over?

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

This is intellectually dishonest.
    WoW classic was from the beginning, without doubt, going to be a declining game (like it was on private servers). This means, contrary to vanilla, the player base will shrink over time. Also, people were super against layering, and wanted it gone asap -> more servers with lower pop. This lead to the many empty servers.

I am open to suggestion how to handle that differently, besides merging servers left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    I mean... what did people expect was going to happen?

Also, it's worth noting that perhaps the reason people were so drawn to private servers, and are now drawn back to them... is that they're free.

It's a shame; I'm sure the dev team enjoyed the extra influx of cash from classic players to help finance development of real WoW.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Sounds very dumb, why start over?

Why do all the grinds over?
    It's mainly because they like the point where everyone is on the same footing. There's a ton of classic fans that just like that new mmo smell as I like to call it. Honestly an accidental discovery from when private servers kept getting shut down

10+ Year Old Account
    I’d say a great majority of them noped the F out shortly after release due to realizing that multiple private servers had more “blizzlike” experiences than the fucking official blizzard server LMAO. Putting this game on the Legion client caused so many small but highly noticeable differences from vanilla that, to me personally and I’m sure many others, it just didn’t feel like vanilla WoW. It honestly gave me the same vibes as those cheap “custom” servers.
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-05-26 at 05:51 AM.