Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I said the reason for nearly all crime. Not all crime.

Sociopaths, psychopaths exist. Even in that case, most diagnosed sociopaths and psychopaths never actually get on the wrong side of the law, as they can be socialized in the right conditions to be functioning members of society, or often if diagnosed early their condition can be managed via therapy, of course all that is much easier in a society that invests in things like education, social safety nets and healthcare. Outliers will always exist, but that doesn't change the fact that most crime is motivated by socioeconomic factors and conditions.

Magic fucking words those nearly all are, innit? Reading comprehension must not be your thing.
    if poverty is the reason for nearly all crime, explain this.

as south korea became more developed and the people became less poor, crime rise over the years.

property crimes, very low when we were poorer.
    Last edited by Alex Moriati; 2021-05-27 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Moriati View Post
    if poverty is the reason for nearly all crime, explain this.

as south korea became more developed and the people became less poor, crime rise over the years.
    1. You're linking a random chart out of I have no clue where the fuck from, with zero context or explanation what the chart controls for or doesn't.

2. My random best guess is that the chart suffers from "Swedish rape capital syndrome".

As in, as policing became more effective and reporting more honest people actually started reporting crimes and the state actually had the resources to both investigate and prosecute those crimes.

It's the same reason why for example Germany or France has much higher reported and prosecuted crime rates than.... I don't know... Afghanistan or Colombia.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    People rationally chose to commit crime in the absence of better alternatives. Not because they are evil or fucking psychotic or whatnot.
    haha. do you really believe this? the last time someone committed a crime against me, he punched me in the face because he didn't like how i talked to him. abscence of better alternatives? yes, he had no better alternatives to punching me in the face. is that what you're going with?

the last time someone committed a crime against me, he punched me in the face because he didn't like how i talked to him.
    I find this story very hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

haha. do you really believe this? the last time someone committed a crime against me, he punched me in the face because he didn't like how i talked to him. abscence of better alternatives? yes, he had no better alternatives to punching me in the face. is that what you're going with?
    Again, I already explained the reporting bias.

Now you're just farting anecdotes.

Anecdotes are not data.

By the way about your little property crime and poverty quip.

You do understand that wealth inequality is considered a socioeconomic factor, right?

As the country got wealthier, wealth inequality likely increased, which in turn created a demand for things such as gambling, prostitution, money laundering etc.

I don't think you understand the concept of "socioeconomic factors".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I find this story very hard to believe.
    Oddly.... I don't.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-05-27 at 01:47 AM.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Again, I already explained the reporting bias.

Now you're just farting anecdotes.

Anecdotes are not data.
    you made a claim and i question the claim. did this man have no better alternative to punching me in the face?

10+ Year Old Account

Considering how you speak to people on this website, which you have been repeatedly banned for, I can't say I'm surprised.

Maybe one you'll learn not to be... well, you, one day.

you made a claim and i question the claim. did this man have no better alternative to punching me in the face?
    No. I gave you data, which you clearly didn't understand, when explained to you, you replied with some random anecdote.

I'm 100% clear now that you literally don't understand the words "socioeconomic factors".

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    No.
    yes.

People rationally chose to commit crime in the absence of better alternatives. Not because they are evil or fucking psychotic or whatnot.
    did this man not have a better alternative than to punch me in the face?

yes
    Yes what?

There could have been a billion different reasons for why he chose to punch you.

I'm not the guy's therapist. I don't know what his story was. Perhaps he had an alcoholic father who was unemployed because he lost a limb in the war and used to beat him as a child, so now as an adult he had temper issues that went unaddressed due to the social stigma attached to mental health problems.

There were half a dozen socio economic factors in that single fucking scenario. There are practically an almost infinite number of possible reasons.

Or you were just being an asshole and he rationally weighed the risks of the legal consequences and resorted to punching you in the face to correct your behavior.

Again. You clearly don't understand what "socioeconomic factors" are.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Yes what?

There could have been a billion different reasons for why he chose to punch you.
    it's because i didn't respect the age difference between us. one of the most stupid things of korean culture is people demand respect due to their being the elder. i made a point to not address him respectfully because it agitated him in the first place and he just got more agitated as i refused to address him respectfully. it ended with him punching me in the face and then him being wrestled to the ground by security a few seconds later, restrained and handed off to law enforcement.

it's because i didn't respect the age difference between us. one of the most stupid things of korean culture is people demand respect due to their being the elder. i made a point to not address him respectfully because it agitated him in the first place and he just got more agitated as i refused to address him respectfully. it ended with him punching me in the face and then him being wrestled to the ground by security a few seconds later, restrained and handed off to law enforcement.
    I don't care about your anecdotes. Nobody does.

It's utterly and 100% irrelevant to this conversation.

This is the last time I'm replying to you because you are literally (and not figuratively) don't understand what you are being told.

Ignorance and stubbornness are helluva combination.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about your anecdotes. Nobody does.

It's utterly and 100% irrelevant to this conversation.

This is the last time I'm replying to you because you are literally (and not figuratively) don't understand what you are being told.

Ignorance and stubbornness are helluva combination.
    this reads more as: i don't know how to explain this behavior and therefore you are ignorant and stubborn. you can look at statistics all you want but statistics is meaningless in personal interactions.

this reads more as: i don't know how to explain this behavior and therefore you are ignorant and stubborn. you can look at statistics all you want but statistics is meaningless in personal interactions.
    What you keep on missing is that no one ever said that all crime is linked to poverty...just that most crime is. Your personal anecdote doesn't refute that...because it's just one example.

Nobody has to explain the behaviour you described in your personal anecdote.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    What you keep on missing is that no one ever said that all crime is linked to poverty...just that most crime is. Your personal anecdote doesn't refute that...because it's just one example.
    most violent crime is motivated by anger, disputes and conflict between individuals.

rape definitely isn't motivated by any economic incentives.

all you're doing is repeating the dogma that's been portrayed as the main motivation for crime. it simply isn't so.

most violent crime is motivated by anger, disputes and conflict between individuals.

rape definitely isn't motivated by any economic incentives.

all you're doing is repeating the dogma that's been portrayed as the main motivation for crime. it simply isn't so.
    See, you are talking about specific kinds of crime. But that still isn't "most crime".

It's like if someone told you that most Crayons are not Red and you responded with "But I have a red crayon"

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    See, you are talking about specific kinds of crime. But that still isn't "most crime".

It's like if someone told you that most Crayons are not Red and you responded with "But I have a red crayon"
    he specifically said violent crime is caused by poverty, when it's not.

he specifically said violent crime is caused by poverty, when it's not.
    He never said all violent crime is caused by poverty and you tried to dismiss his claims by saying "But I got punched once"

That's the "red crayon".

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    He never said all violent crime is caused by poverty and you tried to dismiss his claims by saying "But I got punched once"

That's the "red crayon".
    he said nearly all crime, especially violent crime.

one simple observation of violent crime is that it for the most part is not random, it's initiated by a part in a conflict or dispute that feels slighted, whether real or imagined. has absolutely nothing to do with poverty.

he said nearly all crime, especially violent crime.

one simple observation of violent crime is that it for the most part is not random, it's initiated by a part in a conflict or dispute that feels slighted, whether real or imagined. has absolutely nothing to do with poverty.
    Then present evidence that counters the study... your anecdote doesn't do that.