Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You think her telling them she needs to kill a shit ton of them to empower the jailer would go well with the horde/alliance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    "I have to kill countless people to empower myself to open the way into the shadowlands because this bald dude is slowly taking over and he has part of my soul I how thats okay"

Yeah I dont think anyone would believe her.

Because the Jailer needed those souls from the BFA war. We also don't know when the arbiter broke (as far as I know). Like, literally, the jailer needed Sylvanas as warchief, so she could start a war once the Legion was out of the way. That was the intention. It's shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    We also don't know when the arbiter broke (as far as I know).
    It's been explained both in-game and in interviews the Arbiter broke during Legion though which soul exactly did it is not clear. The popular theory is it was Argus' soul that broke the machine. We know both Ursoc and Ysera's souls were in Ardenweald before the machine broke so it wasn't one of them. Why? Because both of them died during Legion: Ursoc was a Raid Boss and we're forced to kill Ysera at the end of the Val'Sharah quest chain. Ursoc was unfortunately denied another rebirth as is revealed in the pre-expansion Ardenweald short video.

Anywho, once the Arbiter broke then all souls--including those who would have normally gone to Ardenweald for rebirth--went straight into The Maw.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    It's been explained both in-game and in interviews the Arbiter broke during Legion though which soul exactly did it is not clear. The popular theory is it was Argus' soul that broke the machine. We know both Ursoc and Ysera's souls were in Ardenweald before the machine broke so it wasn't one of them. Why? Because both of them died during Legion: Ursoc was a Raid Boss and we're forced to kill Ysera at the end of the Val'Sharah quest chain. Ursoc was unfortunately denied another rebirth as is revealed in the pre-expansion Ardenweald short video.

Anywho, once the Arbiter broke then all souls--including those who would have normally gone to Ardenweald for rebirth--went straight into The Maw.
    Not 100% on this but I think it was stated Titan souls don’t go to shadowland. Maybe if the great dark is considered their home plane they just disappear when they die like demons die in the twisting nether disappear. But Argos was in the twisting nether so maybe his soul manage to return to the great dark to be reborn as a new titan planet. All speculations of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Why didn't she just tell the Alliance and the Horde the same thing?
    Several reasons:

1) She believes we are all schmuck. Somehow being surrounded by people that kill literal gods and living continents of corrupt flesh made her think we were incapable of doing what she is doing. Her immense ego, the very same that acually cost her her life when she announced her presence to Arthas instead of peppering him with arrows before he even realized she was there, doesn't allow her to think that anyone measures up to her. Even though she was hiding in a cave somewhere when we were beating the indestructable Burning Legion, she still somehow thinks she is superior to us.

2) She didn't believe we would understand. As most villains, she believes she is absolutely right and anyone that doesn't agree with her is wrong and too stupid to understand. Her superiority complex. Not to mention her open disdain for living people and their attempts to stay in that "momentary flicker".

3) She is a coward and feared tipping her hand too soon. If she had come clean before the Blood War she likely did not have the power needed to take down Bolvar and break the Helmet. If we had decided not to trust her words (and frankly, only an idiot would trust her after all the shit she pulled already) and fought against her before all the death of the Blood War had empowered her, she would have lost without ever reaching Icecrown. The Jailer's plans would have been ruined.

4) As we see with Anduin, she isn't very persuasive when it comes down to convincing people with a brain. So it was much easier to have the Horde start a war by shouting "For the Horde". The universal off-switch for Horde brains and morals.

In game, what @Raisei and @Super Dickmann said.

In real life, because Danuser is making shit up on the spot as he wanks to his own Lich Queen fanfiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

The big "script hole" is that Sylvanas doesn't act according to any logical plan.

She essentially sided with Arthas. She would have to be the one who wants to kill the jailer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I can see that going well.

Out of story it helped that the writers hadn't come up with it yet, so it wasn't even her goal known to her in her own mind in the book meant to set up BFA, let alone earlier.
    Really bizarre that you felt the need to use gay as a detractor like that. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Really bizarre that you felt the need to use gay as a detractor like that. Grow up.
    About as bizarre as the fact that in only 6 years, people who weren't born when the phrase popped up will be able to vote, receive their licenses and get into car accidents.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure of the relevance of you noting that it's a meme. The meme is ridiculous and offensive and weird and puerile. Can think of not just a thousand other ways to make it offensive by roping in other minorities, but can also think of a thousand ways to not use a slur masked as an outdated meme.

And at the end of the day, its a distraction from what ostensibly is a meaningful point.

I'm not sure of the relevance of you noting that it's a meme. The meme is ridiculous and offensive and weird and puerile. Can think of not just a thousand other ways to make it offensive by roping in other minorities, but can also think of a thousand ways to not use a slur masked as an outdated meme.

And at the end of the day, its a distraction from what ostensibly is a meaningful point.
    Memes add a bit of punchiness to a comment, my description would be poorer for its absence and I can't think of any racial epithets that'd fill the gap that its absence would cause. I could stretch myself to amend it to instead have Sylvanas say that the afterlife ain't nothing but hoes and tricks and get the same point across, but then I'd be accused of offending the dignity of prostitutes and grifters respectively.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Memes add a bit of punchiness to a comment, my description would be poorer for its absence and I can't think of any racial epithets that'd fill the gap that its absence would cause. I could stretch myself to amend it to instead have Sylvanas say that the afterlife ain't nothing but hoes and tricks and get the same point across, but then I'd be accused of offending the dignity of prostitutes and grifters respectively.
    I mean, and this may be my personal bias and YMMV, but I don't typically equate "prostitutes and grifters" with gay people.

I mean, and this may be my personal bias and YMMV, but I don't typically equate "prostitutes and grifters" with gay people.
    I confess I share your bias, which is why I'm confused that's what you took from it. Namely that the idea that 'fake and gay' is offensive to gay people is about as worth being taken seriously as that 'hoes and tricks' offends real hookers and conmen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    There is a major plot hole that some people seem to have largely ignored or overlooked:
    Sylvanas Windrunner's speech to Anduin was about breaking the system and improving it with a far better and fair one - she spent hours and hours attempting to convince him of the rightness and necessity of her plans and strategies, of the cruelties of fate.

Why didn't she just tell the Alliance and the Horde the same thing?

Let's time travel back to after the Legion's defeat - the Alliance and the Horde are not at open war with each other. Why not tell Alleria and Vereesa at their reunion what she experienced at the Maw - why not at least confide in her older sister, who has seen infinite possibilities, who understands the cosmic imbalance and injustice of the Light and has fought another cosmic power for a thousand years - someone who adapts her worldview to change and circumstance, who knows about sacrifices in the name of the greater good, and who "questions everything", and who at that point still does not hate her younger sister? She didn't need to assassinate them - she could have simply explained her complicated views and real plans, and then waited for their reactions.

Sylvanas could have explained her true motives and experiences to the two people she trusted most deeply, her belief in the injustice of death and afterlife, the flaws of the Pantheon of Death and the Shadowlands - Vereesa herself cares deeply for her even now, and possibly Alleria, despite her fierce attitude. Sylvanas: "I do not ask you trust the Jailor, my sisters...but I am asking you to place your trust in me." And perhaps they might have listened?

A Good War might have been this:
    1. Sylvanas summons Varok and the Horde leaders to Orgrimmar - then uses her Banshee powers to show them the reality of the Maw, what she personally experienced, and the imperfect nature of the Shadowlands. She could have turned to Saurfang: "High Overlord, your son was taken by Death - do you wish for him to be trapped in fate's bondage forever? Or do you wish to unshackle him - just like Grom unshackled your race from another overbearing and controlling cosmic power long ago? Surely you as an orc understand the value of personal and individual freedom, and the necessity of change in the face of tyranny - whatever the cost and whatever the price and the odds against your people? Old soldier, the opportunity to act is here - the time to act is NOW. Together, we can break the cycle forever and bring freedom to all those who crave it most! For the Horde!"
    2. Then she asks Alleria and Vereesa to return to the other Alliance leaders with her revelations. Most of them have no fondness for the Shadowlands, no affinity for any of its rulers - they would have no reason to trust Sylvanas, but at least they are familiar with her, unlike with the mysterious otherworldly powers none of them have ever heard of or imagined.
    3. Sylvanas asks them to have Bolvar hand over the Helm of Domination, or otherwise, they all attack him and overwhelm him, and Sylvanas breaks the Veil anyway, minus the Fourth War which depleted both factions needlessly.

Her objective is basically achieved, without a massive global war that divided the Horde or destroyed her leadership and her reputation completely, or convoluted and unreliable bargains with Azshara and Priscilla Ashvane, without overcomplicated deceptions and schemes which alienated most of her sympathizers and supporters, including the Forsaken, including most of her dark rangers, and blood elves; if she desperately needs souls, she could ask them to wipe out the Twilight's Hammer, the Scarlet Crusade, or the naga, sethrak, and the hostile drust populations, or attack Outland and eliminate the hostile, dying races and species there, for example, there are other sources of power other than the Alliance and the Horde on their planet, surely?

Then as Warchief, Sylvanas invades the Shadowlands - with the Alliance and her sisters at her side, or without them.

I am not arguing Sylvanas is a benevolent ruler - but she is still a relatively popular character. Even one of the polls showed most Horde players willing to support her despite her abandonment. She has committed crimes, and has long has harbored ulterior motives. But she is not hurting people because she enjoys hurting them; she has always had some kind of...complicated purpose to her schemes. She believes that she is trying to do the right thing - in an impossible situation that most people in our world cannot relate to properly, because no equivalent is remotely comparable.

If she is so utterly convinced in the rightness and necessity of her actions - why did she not EVER attempt to convince her allies and her own people of their necessity and rightness, why such subterfuge? She explained her plans to the Horde loyalists at the end of the last expansion - so she should have done likewise to the entirety of the Horde, when she still enjoyed massive and overwhelming popular support, and when the night elves were more or less relatively indifferent towards her. If they still supported her after Teldrassil and Lordaeron - how many more would support her had she NOT caused the destruction of both cities, and focused solely on destroying the Shadowlands' flawed order immediately after the Legion was defeated - especially as some of their realms, such as Bastion, ARE genuinely flawed in their policies, and probably would have blindly imposed them had the mortals not intervened after thousands of years?

In my opinion, Sylvanas could have remained an interesting and complex character, with shades of grey in her morality - not one so controversial and reviled, and whose development has arguably been ruined?
    if she did contact us and tell everyone about her plan... people would just look at her as a ramping prophet or a crazy person...

Remember that we as players know about the cosmic power... but that is us in game... very few people understand the concept of cosimc powers and the scale of that...

So if Sylvanas came out and talk about it and explained... people would just look at her as a compleet crazy character and most of the leader would have outed her...

PS: in the cinematic... where Sylvanas has a duel with Saurfang she says "I trusted you"... what if that was a sign that she told him everything... but he did not believe her at all...
    -

One Learns most when Teaching others!

7+ Year Old Account
    Because that would imply this was her plan all along and not something that they came up middle bfa because nobody liked the shit mop 2.0 story

"Hey, I need to throw a ton of souls into the giant soulblender of hell to empower a guy that wants to overthrow the system of the Shadowlands because we don't feel it is fair. Do I have any guarantee that what he will come up with once he is the most powerful being there will be better? Well, no."

I can see this talk going over really well.

P.s. I do admit that I formulated this post without reading OP's first. However empowering Zovaal to break out of the Maw is the cornerstone of their plan. For that the souls were needed.

Without Zovaal I assume that any plan to overthrow the pantheon of death would be doomed to fail.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2021-05-28 at 08:28 AM.

cause sylvanas has alzheimers and didnt know her own plan until like 3 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    cause sylvanas has alzheimers and didnt know her own plan until like 3 months ago
    Blizzard confirming that Sylvanas has dementia as a result of advancing brain rot would resolve a surprising amount of plot holes.

Besides, there's no way of fully knowing if the Jailer is even telling Sylvanas the truth. For all we know, he could just be telling her exactly what she wants to hear to sway her to his cause. Even Anduin pointed this out:
    "Look around you, at what and who you've joined! What makes you believe you're not just a weapon to achieve his ends?"