Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    WoW isn't really a watchable game.
    WoW's viewership on twitch is one of the few things that's keeping the game's community going. This is demonstrably, identifiably, wholly and unequivocally false.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love people who measure a games success with the amount of twitch viewers they have.... lol

Was Asmon streaming at the time? As soon as he goes live, WoW section viewers increase by about 500%.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    WoW's viewership on twitch is one of the few things that's keeping the game's community going. This is demonstrably, identifiably, wholly and unequivocally false.
    I think you're wrong. I think you've spent too much time without questioning yourself, effectively drinking the kool-aid. WoW is going strong on it's own, apart from the usual dry spells. It'll surge back up when fresh content is added, and shrink back down when people complete their goals. The game's been around for 17 years. If you haven't noticed the patterns yet then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I love people who measure a games success with the amount of twitch viewers they have.... lol
    Because it's generally true. Look at any game on Twitch and measure it's viewers as a ratio of it's popularity with other games on the site. Anthem? 20 viewers at best. GTAV? Constant 200k+
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Despite the prepatch release WoW seems to be pretty low on the twitch popularity list. How does this compare to when Classic launched?

Just 65.7 K viewers right now for example.
    Well, that is their problem, not mine, not yours, not ours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Because it's generally true. Look at any game on Twitch and measure it's viewers as a ratio of it's popularity with other games on the site. Anthem? 20 viewers at best. GTAV? Constant 200k+
    But that just shows that a lot of people like watching it rather than playing it, its a successful streaming game sure. Single player games don't last very last long on the top page of twitch does that not mean they are not successful? Does it means all games are failures because Just Chatting is always number 1? See how stupid this sounds.

Sales determine success not twitch views and while they do tend to merge its not the main way to measure a success.

Also WoW is still in the top10 games on twitch as of right now... Thats still the highest MMO on the site with 30k views. FFXIV is all the way at the bottom with 1k views. Guess you should tell everyone that FFXIV is a failure... :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-05-28 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Despite the prepatch release WoW seems to be pretty low on the twitch popularity list. How does this compare to when Classic launched?

Just 65.7 K viewers right now for example.
    Check it out when BC launches. Or when a major patch hits in BC/retail. Or when World first race is going.

The pre patch for BC is not really different than what classic is and has been for two years. Back when classic launched, it was new. Pre patch only gives both factions shamans and paladins.

When theres not big things happening in wow, the numbers ofc goes down. Its not VERY interesting gameplay, people come there mainly for whatever streamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because wow is extremly boring to watch. Not to mention that right now there isnt really much going on.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

the world is in dire need of a new mmo

wow is old news and sucks,
    retail is not good enuf
    and classic era is old

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    But that just shows that a lot of people like watching it rather than playing it, its a successful streaming game sure. Single player games don't last very last long on the top page of twitch does that not mean they are not successful? Does it means all games are failures because Just Chatting is always number 1? See how stupid this sounds.

Sales determine success not twitch views and while they do tend to merge its not the main way to measure a success.

Also WoW is still in the top10 games on twitch as of right now... Thats still the highest MMO on the site with 30k views. FFXIV is all the way at the bottom with 1k views. Guess you should tell everyone that FFXIV is a failure... :P
    I mean you said it yourself, sales determine success. WoW dominates FF14 on Twitch and also financially. It just is what it is. You can look at Twitch and have a pretty accurate view on the relative popularity of any given game currently. Just because a single player game is not up there currently, it doesn't mean it wasn't at one point and was very successful at the time. Twitch just measures continued success, which single player games by definition, don't have, that's why they do sequels instead of patches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    the world is in dire need of a new mmo

wow is old news and sucks,
    retail is not good enuf
    and classic era is old
    Unfortunately most new MMO's are just over-developed messes or money pits. I doubt we will ever get another that is like WoW was, that era is gone.

There are games that are fun to watch and there are games that are boring to watch. WoW (and MMORPGs in general) are boring to watch. That's why Asmongold gets vastly more viewers than anyone else in WoW. Because he's not really a WoW streamer. He's a "talking about WoW" streamer. He talks all the time nonstop. That's what makes him so entertaining.

GTAV isn't so popular either. It's GTA RP that is popular. It's not people playing the game that is the entertaining part. It's people talking and interacting with each other that is.

Exactly, MMOs are generally boring to watch. Don't compare WoW to GTA or esports game, because that's just not how it works. If you look at WoW vs any other MMO on the market you will see how dominant WoW actually is. Heck, FFXIV has like what - 5k viewers on average?

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is not a good game to stream.

Arena and world first raiding has potential, but thats about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of games get low viewership on Twitch. Top 20 is usually dedicated mainly to mainstream competitive games, new releases, and whatever games big variety streamers are playing. And even then it's largely personality driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think you've spent too much time without questioning yourself, effectively drinking the kool-aid. WoW is going strong on it's own, apart from the usual dry spells. It'll surge back up when fresh content is added, and shrink back down when people complete their goals. The game's been around for 17 years. If you haven't noticed the patterns yet then I don't know what to tell you.
    I replied to a guy that said that WoW isn't a watchable game. The fact that the game has consistently been one of the best performing video games on the twitch platform for the better part of a decade proves this theory incorrect. This thread is yet another in a long list of "proofs" that WoW is dying based on little more than the OP's personal distaste for the game and their thinly veiled desire to have their secular opinion validated by a few random internet strangers who spend the better part of their day posting in negativity echo chambers on this forum.

I mean you said it yourself, sales determine success. WoW dominates FF14 on Twitch and also financially. It just is what it is. You can look at Twitch and have a pretty accurate view on the relative popularity of any given game currently. Just because a single player game is not up there currently, it doesn't mean it wasn't at one point and was very successful at the time. Twitch just measures continued success, which single player games by definition, don't have, that's why they do sequels instead of patches.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately most new MMO's are just over-developed messes or money pits. I doubt we will ever get another that is like WoW was, that era is gone.
    yea i think thats true for most mmos. the only one i think that can beat wow, and this is just based on its reach and ip popularity alone, is the Riot games league of legends mmo. this one feels like the actual one to dethrone wow. a real wow killer this time. the wow killers of the past were never real wow killers, but this, this feels different, but time will tell ofc

Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    yea i think thats true for most mmos. the only one i think that can beat wow, and this is just based on its reach and ip popularity alone, is the Riot games league of legends mmo. this one feels like the actual one to dethrone wow. a real wow killer this time. the wow killers of the past were never real wow killers, but this, this feels different, but time will tell ofc
    It doesn't hurt when a bunch of WoW streamers routinely say things like, "Fuck Riot, your MMO can't come soon enough," every time they discuss anything remotely negative about the current game.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm on the Riot MMO hype train, too. The fact that GC's behind it is enough of a sell for me. But there's a grain of salt to be had when discussing it.

wow is never big on twitch except on launch days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    There are games that are fun to watch and there are games that are boring to watch. WoW (and MMORPGs in general) are boring to watch. That's why Asmongold gets vastly more viewers than anyone else in WoW. Because he's not really a WoW streamer. He's a "talking about WoW" streamer. He talks all the time nonstop. That's what makes him so entertaining.

GTAV isn't so popular either. It's GTA RP that is popular. It's not people playing the game that is the entertaining part. It's people talking and interacting with each other that is.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but, you have to buy GTA to play GTA RP, right?