7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    Blizzard often says no to things and then turns around and does them anyways. I think the "no" is just a distraction so they can surprise everyone later on and say "see, we listened!"
    There was an article that came out on Blizzard development recently. But essentially it's similar to all big companies: changes takes a slow time because of all the hoops/bureaucracy within a large organization. Something from the community/game has to get passed from a CM/Tester to some lead to another supervisor/manager to head designer etc before it reaches those who can dictate what changes to make based on the finding.

This is why often players will notice things much faster than Blizzard and then complain, "how come they haven't noticed it when people have been talking about it for x time" it's more because if it's not some crazy urgent matter then it can take a while for it to get to the right group that can make/dictate those changes.

Blizzard often says no to things and then turns around and does them anyways. I think the "no" is just a distraction so they can surprise everyone later on and say "see, we listened!"
    Of course. But still, it bothers me that I have to wait until 10.0 for new customization options for Void elves. I'd prefer if the 30 Pandaren players world-wide had to wait that long instead frankly.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Of course. But still, it bothers me that I have to wait until 10.0 for new customization options for Void elves. I'd prefer if the 30 Pandaren players world-wide had to wait that long instead frankly.
    If you look at new features pandaren got with launch of SL, it is actually close to what you said. Void elves already got more meaningful options then pandaren who are core race.

I'm not particularly interested in pandaren, but new customizations might help with their popularity. It did not happen. On the other hand, void elves still has their time when allied races will be looked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    If you look at new features pandaren got with launch of SL, it is actually close to what you said. Void elves already got more meaningful options then pandaren who are core race.

I'm not particularly interested in pandaren, but new customizations might help with their popularity. It did not happen. On the other hand, void elves still has their time when allied races will be looked on.
    Pandaren, or gnomes, or goblin will never be popular simply because they are niche races that don't appeal to the average gamer. Therefore it would make sense to keep these races for last, you're not going to make them more popular by giving them more options. People don't play goblin not because they lack cool hair options, but because they are... goblins.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Pandaren, or gnomes, or goblin will never be popular simply because they are niche races that don't appeal to the average gamer. Therefore it would make sense to keep these races for last, you're not going to make them more popular by giving them more options. People don't play goblin not because they lack cool hair options, but because they are... goblins.
    Well, not sure. I'm actually way more interested in worgen now. New options and model rework from late BfA made them way more likeable option for me. New options have always potential to make race more popular.

I agree with you that some races are niche archetypes which will most likely never be as popular as more general and neutral archetypes like humans, orcs, elves... But it's not a reason to deny them development.

I'd be more inclined to play Worgen males and Forsaken of both sexes if they had the option to stand upright. But I'm never going to play kul tirans, mechagnomes/gnomes, goblins, or dwarf/dark iron males. They just aren't aesthetically appealing to me no matter how many options they get. If kul tirans ever get the option to use the standard human model then I'd make one.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2021-05-23 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    There was an article that came out on Blizzard development recently. But essentially it's similar to all big companies: changes takes a slow time because of all the hoops/bureaucracy within a large organization. Something from the community/game has to get passed from a CM/Tester to some lead to another supervisor/manager to head designer etc before it reaches those who can dictate what changes to make based on the finding.

This is why often players will notice things much faster than Blizzard and then complain, "how come they haven't noticed it when people have been talking about it for x time" it's more because if it's not some crazy urgent matter then it can take a while for it to get to the right group that can make/dictate those changes.
    Sounds about right.

I just hope we don't have to actually wait for 10.0, no matter what they said. They change their minds a lot, so I'm not convinced that it's really set in stone.
    Last edited by FossilFree; 2021-05-25 at 12:23 AM.

Sounds about right.

I just hope we don't have to actually wait for 10.0, no matter what they said. They change their minds a lot, so I'm not convinced that it's really set in stone.
    Why would they change their minds on this? Not doing more customization for next several expansions means less work for them.

Even financially, making whole new race (with OP racials) will make more money from race changes than adding new stuff to existing races.

Sounds about right.
    I'd settle for a simple option that removes the tentacles from the hairstyles that have them, if they really can't be bothered to come up with anything new.

Normal-looking skin tones with tentacle hair simply don't look good. They look dumb. You either embrace the Void-y look of Void elves or you embrace the Human-y look of Void elves, there's no middle ground.

More hair colours would also be appreciated. The azure/grey hair colour with the pale skin looks good, as does the pink/purple hair colour with the more tanned skin. But again these options are very limited.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-05-25 at 10:59 AM.

I'm loving all this artwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Why would they change their minds on this? Not doing more customization for next several expansions means less work for them.

Even financially, making whole new race (with OP racials) will make more money from race changes than adding new stuff to existing races.
    I do think it also has to do with keeping a level of investment with the playerbase; like how AR and DK's were unlocked before their expansions. In as much, expanded customization for AR's could come even before the next exp pre-launch, specially if it serves to expand not only on their aesthetics, but background.

Not entirely likely, but I could see it happening; overall, I do think we will have a final patch new feature as AR's were for Legion and DK's for BfA. What I am less certain is if AR customization expansion would be it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Well, not sure. I'm actually way more interested in worgen now. New options and model rework from late BfA made them way more likeable option for me. New options have always potential to make race more popular.

I agree with you that some races are niche archetypes which will most likely never be as popular as more general and neutral archetypes like humans, orcs, elves... But it's not a reason to deny them development.
    Prioritizing Races customization based on popularity would be bound to create deep resentments within the playerbase and would frankly be ridiculous. Sure prioritizing VE's over core races like Gnomes and Pandaren would have not created any backlash lol!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I do think it also has to do with keeping a level of investment with the playerbase; like how AR and DK's were unlocked before their expansions. In as much, expanded customization for AR's could come even before the next exp pre-launch, specially if it serves to expand not only on their aesthetics, but background.

Not entirely likely, but I could see it happening; overall, I do think we will have a final patch new feature as AR's were for Legion and DK's for BfA. What I am less certain is if AR customization expansion would be it.

- - - Updated - - -

Prioritizing Races customization based on popularity would be bound to create deep resentments within the playerbase and would frankly be ridiculous. Sure prioritizing VE's over core races like Gnomes and Pandaren would have not created any backlash lol!
    Well VE already got better deal than Pandaren. They got what, 2 more hairstyles?

I know your being fictitious but Pandaren are more played then you think. Sure they will never be to the level of the "Pretty Races" but back when wowcensus was a thing, there was more Pandaren players then several of the lower end core races.

Prioritizing races by popularity isn't the smartest way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastgope View Post
    I know your being fictitious but Pandaren are more played then you think. Sure they will never be to the level of the "Pretty Races" but back when wowcensus was a thing, there was more Pandaren players then several of the lower end core races.
    Yeah back in 2012 maybe.

That's literally what they have done anyway so Compare the new options humans got to the new options pandaren got, there's no comparison to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

I think it's debatable which would make more money. I know I personally spent a lot of money for 6 race changes when the new customization options were released. I would probably do the same for my Allied Race characters if they got a pass.

I'd settle for a simple option that removes the tentacles from the hairstyles that have them, if they really can't be bothered to come up with anything new.

Normal-looking skin tones with tentacle hair simply don't look good. They look dumb. You either embrace the Void-y look of Void elves or you embrace the Human-y look of Void elves, there's no middle ground.

More hair colours would also be appreciated. The azure/grey hair colour with the pale skin looks good, as does the pink/purple hair colour with the more tanned skin. But again these options are very limited.
    They should add a tentacle to braids swap option. It could just be a checkbox in the barber window.

I think the problem with their hair is everything has some shade of blue or purple. Even their "redhead" is more purple than anything, and their black is more of a dark blue. I think they could easily get some new colors without even trampling on Blood Elves at all. Jet black, ghostly white, pink, starcursed (like the mount/heritage armor glass), and some desaturated earth tones (brown/blonde/red) would all be welcome additions. Desaturated would make them look different from the Blood Elf ones, and match the theme that Void Elves have with their other hair colors being washed out.

3+ Year Old Account
    does anyone know where I can get the Silver Covenant Tabard texture files?

I'm going to apply the texture to this tabard:

The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastgope View Post
    It may not be smartest but it is most efficient. Blizzard (Ely Canon specifically) has said such in an interview, that they gave more customizations to the more popular races. Which makes sense since they've spoken a lot about having limited time/resources, so ofc they gotta put them where they reach the greatest audience.

Do note that Pandaren still did get a decent chunk of options despite player metrics showing they're 'least played' (I actually don't think they're least played, I think they're about the same level as the other least popular races).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Everyone would want more options.. the options we got are sparse. Void elves had more options then others and they are a allied race. Imo void elves are in the back of the line ad Nightborne front row for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    It may not be smartest but it is most efficient. Blizzard (Ely Canon specifically) has said such in an interview, that they gave more customizations to the more popular races. Which makes sense since they've spoken a lot about having limited time/resources, so ofc they gotta put them where they reach the greatest audience.

Do note that Pandaren still did get a decent chunk of options despite player metrics showing they're 'least played' (I actually don't think they're least played, I think they're about the same level as the other least popular races).
    Yes. It's also the reason why in MOBAs the developers prioritize popular heroes when making new skins, rather than unpopular or barely played heroes. Same thing here.

For example, League of Legends players complain that Ahri and Lux always get new skins while some champions haven't gotten new skins in years, but that's just logic. These two champions are very popular so the developers want to monetize them as much as possible.

You don't need to study Economy at university to understand that making a product that will be consumed by 1000 people is better than making a product that will be consumed by 10 people.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-05-28 at 10:07 AM.

Fans change their minds.

Why do you think there is such crazy fan wrestling over certain features and advances?

If it’s popular amongst the fans that means fans would play more and pay more. At a certain point it becomes more profitable to do than not.

Anything that would make you play more and buy more us a win. They come up with things, but they also look to what the community wants.

Why do you think blood elves have it so good? Because they have a network of hardcore fans pouring endless amounts of time talking up the race and ensuring any fan things that threaten or undermine it never happen because of the negticity they can engineer socially through their conversation.

It’s all to get blizzard to do what they want because they know blizzard monitors these things.

Good luck to them. It takes a lot of effort.

You’d have gotten high elves a lot sooner if it wasn’t so heavily opposed by the BElf fan club.

- - - Updated - - -

Of which I am a proud member btw.