Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Frankly, I don’t think Trump is smart enough not to implicate himself.

The last thing he wants is to get up and testify. Why do you think the GOP fought so hard to shrug this stuff off or pass it through some kangaroo court confessional panel they rigged when it came to possibly having trump testify?
    Prolly he'd drag them down with him, if he doesn't outright throw them under the bus. Nothing good comes from being associated with Trump.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Frankly, I don’t think Trump is smart enough not to implicate himself.

The last thing he wants is to get up and testify. Why do you think the GOP fought so hard to shrug this stuff off or pass it through some kangaroo court confessional panel they rigged when it came to possibly having trump testify?
    You've seen him speak off script - it's a word salad diatribe on every crazy conspiracy theory nonsense that enters his little brain. On the stand, sworn in, with Ritalin coursing through his veins, he would take unhinged to a new level, and forever fuck himself with a dozen plus perjury statements.

Trump's legal team would probably consider ferreting him off to Russia before seeing him give sworn testimony in a trial.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...ommission-bill

The bill fell in the first legislative filibuster of the year as it failed to get the 60 votes needed to advance. The vote was 54 to 35 to move the bill forward, with a handful of Republicans breaking ranks — Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Ben Sasse of Nebraska, Rob Portman of Ohio and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana.
    And blocked in the Senate.

Reminder: Republicans are the party of pro-insurrection, pro-police assault, pro-shitting on the floors in the halls of Congress, pro-kidnapping, pro-assassination, pro-conspiracy theories. Elected Republicans are just awful, terrible, no good people.

I genuinely don't know how they sleep at night, but it must be really nice not having a moral compass or any semblance of a conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, it feels like he's trying to establish a "not guilty by way of insanity/diminished capacity" argument.

Fuck that. These asshats all knew exactly what they were doing. They did this because they're violent, shitty, abusive people, not because of mental illness or diminished capacity.
    If trying to break through a barricaded door despite the presence of a panicking guard shouting orders to back off with a gun trained to your face is not evidence of diminished capacity then I don't know what is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...ommission-bill

And blocked in the Senate.

Reminder: Republicans are the party of pro-insurrection, pro-police assault, pro-shitting on the floors in the halls of Congress, pro-kidnapping, pro-assassination, pro-conspiracy theories. Elected Republicans are just awful, terrible, no good people.

I genuinely don't know how they sleep at night, but it must be really nice not having a moral compass or any semblance of a conscience.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this kind of commission is just a special investigation, right?

The DOJ can still, like, investigate and prosecute crimes committed, right?

Fuck bipartisanship. Have the DOJ pursue investigations into every single Republican (and anyone else, but we both know they're all Republicans in this case) who dared to express any kind of support or encouragement prior to, during, or after January 6, for those involved.

Because that was an insurrection. And the law means any "giving aid or comfort to" insurrectionists or their cause means you're guilty of insurrection yourself. And if you want to argue "it's just a tweet, man, it's not THAT bad", fine. We can fine them a couple thousand dollars, and offer no jail time.

Because the other component of a conviction for insurrection is that little "and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States." If Matt Gaetz or Lauren Boebert were convicted of insurrection, they are immediately and irrevocably removed from office. They can appeal the conviction, but until it's overturned or there's another election, their seat's empty.

I don't see that you need the Republicans for that. Just the DOJ. Which is under Democratic control; the Republicans can't do shit about such prosecutions. Sure, they'll claim it's "partisan". So fucking what? Nobody will believe that but their base, and their base already think Democrats are skinwalking lizardpeople trying to destroy humanity, so who cares what they think?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    If trying to break through a barricaded door despite the presence of a panicking guard shouting orders to back off with a gun trained to your face is not evidence of diminished capacity then I don't know what is.
    Diminished capacity or mental illness only works as defense if you're incapable of understanding that an action is wrong.

Just being a colossally stupid fuckstick of a human being doesn't qualify.

Diminished capacity or mental illness only works as defense if you're incapable of understanding that an action is wrong.

Just being a colossally stupid fuckstick of a human being doesn't qualify.
    I don't think I've ever seen "colossally stupid fuckstick" listed in the DSM or ICD, and I'm pretty sure that someone who did what I described is indeed incapable, even if only momentarily so, of understanding the wrongness and consequences of such an action. Plus the person in question is, you know, dead, so she probably won't have the need to defend herself.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen "colossally stupid fuckstick" listed in the DSM or ICD, and I'm pretty sure that someone who did what I described is indeed incapable, even if only momentarily so, of understanding the wrongness and consequences of such an action. Plus the person in question is, you know, dead, so she probably won't have the need to defend herself.
    Oh boy, do we get to do the thing where we dig up her criminal history and use it as justification now? Does this mean that everyone who is killed by law enforcement after law enforcement warn them that they will shoot gets the benefit of this defense?

Oh boy, do we get to do the thing where we dig up her criminal history and use it as justification now? Does this mean that everyone who is killed by law enforcement after law enforcement warn them that they will shoot gets the benefit of this defense?
    ...justification?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    McConnell's assault on reality is complete, says we shouldn't focus on things that happened in the past.

So I guess unless we prosecute crimes while they are happening we should just ignore them?
    well shit that clears about 90% of Anthony Fauci schedule...right? He'll be happy to know he doesn't have to appear in front of congress for the 90th time
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Forgot about Ben Sasse. Guy is a pure PoS like the rest of the GoP, but he won re-election while shitting on Trump, in a state Trump won, proving Trump isn't someone to be afraid of, but these idiots still are...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this kind of commission is just a special investigation, right?

The DOJ can still, like, investigate and prosecute crimes committed, right?

Fuck bipartisanship. Have the DOJ pursue investigations into every single Republican (and anyone else, but we both know they're all Republicans in this case) who dared to express any kind of support or encouragement prior to, during, or after January 6, for those involved.

Because that was an insurrection. And the law means any "giving aid or comfort to" insurrectionists or their cause means you're guilty of insurrection yourself. And if you want to argue "it's just a tweet, man, it's not THAT bad", fine. We can fine them a couple thousand dollars, and offer no jail time.

Because the other component of a conviction for insurrection is that little "and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States." If Matt Gaetz or Lauren Boebert were convicted of insurrection, they are immediately and irrevocably removed from office. They can appeal the conviction, but until it's overturned or there's another election, their seat's empty.

I don't see that you need the Republicans for that. Just the DOJ. Which is under Democratic control; the Republicans can't do shit about such prosecutions. Sure, they'll claim it's "partisan". So fucking what? Nobody will believe that but their base, and their base already think Democrats are skinwalking lizardpeople trying to destroy humanity, so who cares what they think?
    You are correct - the Bi-partisan commission is just a special investigation. It does not affect the DoJ work in any capacity.

And yeah, it appears bipartisanship is truly dead. Even with six GOP senators voting in favor, Moscow Mitch killed it.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are correct - the Bi-partisan commission is just a special investigation. It does not affect the DoJ work in any capacity.

And yeah, it appears bipartisanship is truly dead. Even with six GOP senators voting in favor, Moscow Mitch killed it.
    Sorta shows how absolutely fucked American democracy is. Almost an absolute minority is able to fully and completely control what kind of legislation gets passed due to the filibuster. It's so very degenerate.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Sinema, a Democrat from Arizona "Missed" the vote. Whe The Bleep nominated her in the Dem primaries" She is a waste.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Sinema, a Democrat from Arizona "Missed" the vote. Whe The Bleep nominated her in the Dem primaries" She is a waste.
    But it wasn't ever going to pass. And she did win, and that win gave us the Senate. I know she's a pain in the ass, but she's our pain in the ass, with that nice big (D) beside her name. Which is Yuge.

But it wasn't ever going to pass. And she did win, and that win gave us the Senate. I know she's a pain in the ass, but she's our pain in the ass, with that nice big (D) beside her name. Which is Yuge.
    Yeah. We're not going to get Arizona at this point if we run like, an Elizabeth Warren. Or even like a Hillary Clinton. The way forward is to run more liberal candidates in places that've turned safer, like Virginia, and then get more moderates in contested places like Texas. Also, get more states.

https://twitter.com/rcdimezzo/status...16888341852162

Tonight, Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman is standing guard outside the Senate Chamber as Republicans vote to obstruct an investigation into the attacks of Jan. 6.

Goodman — the officer who used himself as bait to protect the same GOP senators who are obstructing justice.
    Worth noting. Republicans have no appreciation for law enforcement, or the people who literally risked their lives to save the lives of members of the Senate, some likely very directly, like Romney. They have no respect for the officer that risked his life to draw the mob away from lawmakers while suffering racist verbal abuse and physical threats.

Republicans are scum. Republicans are filth. I can only hope that their violent, unhinged base turns on them, next.

https://twitter.com/rcdimezzo/status...16888341852162

Worth noting. Republicans have no appreciation for law enforcement, or the people who literally risked their lives to save the lives of members of the Senate, some likely very directly, like Romney. They have no respect for the officer that risked his life to draw the mob away from lawmakers while suffering racist verbal abuse and physical threats.

Republicans are scum. Republicans are filth. I can only hope that their violent, unhinged base turns on them, next.
    what are the reasons republicans are giving to block investigations? (In my eyes, investigations should happen, that storming wasnt ''free speech'' but an assault on goverment assets)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    what are the reasons republicans are giving to block investigations? (In my eyes, investigations should happen, that storming wasnt ''free speech'' but an assault on goverment assets)
    I think McConnell said some bullshit about moving on and not dwelling on the past.

Don't give her a pass cause it was not going to pass. That's chicken shit, especially on something like this. Another Manchin.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Does a filibuster seriously require a majority of total members to clear, and not just a majority of members present? What the everloving fuck?