Poll: Do you think there will be 9.3 patch?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Only the hardcore fanboys and utterly clueless (about software development / project work in general) would believe that Blizzard has this super secret ninja team that is already working on 10.0 as if it were in full production, while simultaneously having 2 more teams that work on 9.2 and 9.3 already - again full production - while having yet another that puts the finishing touches on 9.1. Especially after the last couple of expansions where it has become more and more clear that the brunt of the development effort takes place 6-9 months before the release of the expansion.
    Nice, nice, I see you did typical "whoever disagree with me is clueless" move. Very original. (Why fanboy though? You know what fanboy means, right?).

If we say "there are separate teams for next patch and expansion" we (or rather me, I won't speak for others) doesn't mean they are done completely separately. It means some people works on 10.0, some on 9.1, at this point some on 9.2, but all are on different stages of production.

I give you example: 7.3 was released on August '17 and after that they still worked on polishing Antorus (released in November). Yet when BfA Alpha came out on February, almost whole Zandalar/Kul Tiras (6 zones!) were done and questing was opened in next few weeks.

Another example: look at Anima. It's completely different as game mechanic than AP/Azerite... yet it looks similar, doesn't it? Almost like it was designed as Artifact 3.0 system (grinding Anima and unlocking Soulbind tree). Yet they already told us on SL reveal Anima won't be grind like AP. What it means? Hmmmmm.

So when I say: "I wonder if 10.0 team has same issues just like 9.1 team" I mean "I wonder if early stage of 10.0 production is delayed like 9.1, which means whole expansion is delayed and won't come in 2022 -> so 9.3 and 4th season is necessary".

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Korthia the dreadlord is the 9.2 villain.
    Kinda obvious that if we will get 9.2, we will see Ahead of the Curve: Anduin. Last few years Blizz like to use big names for middle patches (Guldan, Kiljaeden, Jaina, Azshara, Sylvanas), cause it's hardest time to keep people playing, always launch and last patch are more popular.
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2021-05-29 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I imagine there's probably a split team for 9.X that works on whatever is needed, with internal deadlines determining priority of who is where). I also think that 10.0 is likely being coded, music being done, and art assets being created. I don't know if that qualifies as "full production" (whatever the hell that means as it varies from studio to studio) but the lead times on expansions are such that they always have a group working on the "next" expansion even as one releases. That latter point is SOP for them.
    And I call bullshit on that, because this was said like 10 years ago as the usual project PR speech in an interview, but the reality is usually someone opening a new file and writing down some bulletpoints consitutes as "working on the next project", even if that amounts to absolutely nothing for the next years. Just seeing how Blizzard had absolutely nothing to show for 9.1 when they announced it, I simply see no reasonable way in which they'd already start modeling on assets that will be used 2 years later, when they might not even be sure where the story will take them exactly. I'm not saying they don't have a vague roadmap, but people keep citing this "some work is done" (an extremely low bar) and then others pick up this bollocks and proclaim that Blizzard has half a dozen teams creating expansions and patches left, right and center simultaneously.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Could still be that they drop it. My impression is that there are less players each day playing currently and I don't think 9.2 will stop this. Meaning they need fresh money. I mean they always need money but especially when the subs drop. So either they bring out some fancy 6 months mount or they need to come up with the next expansion soon. WoD was also stopped early. So even if they say something they plan doesn't mean they can't change their plan
    Its downtime on retail. Its pretty standard now. People do what they want in the first 3-4 months then start getting bored and they stop playing until something new comes out.

Then they come back for a new patch and blizzard makes loads of cash.

9.3 coming will have absolutely nothing to do with how many people are playing right now

10+ Year Old Account
    TY mods for fixing the clickbait title

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have an even bolder prediction: 9.1 will be the last major content patch of Shadowlands and Blizzard will instead cut their losses and focus their next fourteen months on the next expansion. It took them a literal age to even get 9.1 out and I wouldn't be surprised if they were so understaffed that they can't focus on another content patch.

And before you tell me that Blizzard would never do such a thing: look at Warlords of Draenor. 6.1 wasn't even good enough to be considered a major content patch and merely added a selfie stick, among other minor things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope but realistic everything point other
    Everything points towards a WoD 2.0, with only exception that first patch is 6.2 and 2nd patch will be selfie quality patch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    I have an even bolder prediction: 9.1 will be the last major content patch of Shadowlands and Blizzard will instead cut their losses and focus their next fourteen months on the next expansion. It took them a literal age to even get 9.1 out and I wouldn't be surprised if they were so understaffed that they can't focus on another content patch.

And before you tell me that Blizzard would never do such a thing: look at Warlords of Draenor. 6.1 wasn't even good enough to be considered a major content patch and merely added a selfie stick, among other minor things.
    u mean firing 8% then 10% of entire work staff over course of 3 years made them understaffed? but all those workers were janitors and plumbers, none were working in gaming department, at a video game company
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Its downtime on retail. Its pretty standard now. People do what they want in the first 3-4 months then start getting bored and they stop playing until something new comes out.

Then they come back for a new patch and blizzard makes loads of cash.

9.3 coming will have absolutely nothing to do with how many people are playing right now
    Okay then please explain why they stopped WoD or why they skipped so many stuff in WoD and went full Legion instead? Sure some fluctuations in the subs won't hurt them but if they drop by a lot they surely take action. The only language those big companies speak is money
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

They will have to wrap up the jailer in one way or another after 9.1 and lead into the next expansions, so we will see at least one more patch beyond 9.1.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    9.3 will happen, 10.0 won't be revealed until Blizzconline 2022, and won't launch until Q1 2023.

Book it.
    You must be insane to think they'd pass on the Q4 2022 10.0 release. They don't care about story, lore, whatever. Only money, and money dictated there is an expension every 2 years.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    You must be insane to think they'd pass on the Q4 2022 10.0 release. They don't care about story, lore, whatever. Only money, and money dictated there is an expension every 2 years.
    Someone has to work on his reading comprehension skill.

EDIT: And it's clearly me. xD
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2021-05-29 at 11:00 AM.

With just the Jailer left to be dealt with I wonder who would even be the villain in 9.2. Maybe a First One (possibly Elune)? Or a continuation of the Arthas story where he and Anduin are controlled by the Jailor. Or we get to visit Thros to deal with the Drust for good. I'm fine with anything as long as its not another boring and dreary place.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2021-05-29 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    With just the Jailer left to be dealt with I wonder who would even be the villain in 9.2. Maybe a First One (possibly Elune)? Or a continuation of the Arthas story where he and Anduin are controlled by the Jailor. Or we get to visit Thros to deal with the Drust for good. I'm fine with anything as long as its not another boring and dreary place.
    Was the story of Maldraxxus concluded? What I mean, is the traitorous Baron defeated? Haven't played Necrolord campaign and can't remember from leveling. There's always a possibility of a side raid for a specific covenant. Although I wouldn't want them to derail the story that much. Natural progression after 9.1 would be fighting the Jailer himself, but where if Torghast is destroyed and he escaped the Maw?

The sooner SL is done for the better
    Do you hear the voices too?

9.1 was actually out at a pretty standard content release schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Okay then please explain why they stopped WoD or why they skipped so many stuff in WoD and went full Legion instead? Sure some fluctuations in the subs won't hurt them but if they drop by a lot they surely take action. The only language those big companies speak is money
    WoD is an old expansion at this point. Blizzard has stated several times that they know the content release was not good for WoD. They dont want to make another one of those if they can help it. Its simply not something they strive for.

They learned from WoD and Ion has LITERALLY said they dont want to make SL another WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzix View Post
    So just to be clear, the logic here is:
    There were large delays on SL (probably in large part from covid)
    BUT
    There won't be a 9.3 because of the strict timelines Blizzard keeps--never delaying releases--and because 10.0 is being worked on by a team of covid-immune superhumans that werent impacted by the pandemic...

No, if you read my post, you will see I mentioned more than just timeline. Release timeline is just 1 reason.

As I mentioned, the lore and storyline doesn't really support another major content patch so far.

Also, we have to admit that SL is not a well received expansion. I don't see any future patches can change the fundamental systems in SL.

What can 9.3 bring? Renown level 160? Torghast layer 30, 40, 50? More anima farming, conduit ranks and sanctum upgrades? Those are not exciting things players are waiting for.

I truly believe no 9.3 bullshit and bringing 10.0 in time in late 2022 is the better decision for wow as a game, if Blizzard still cares about the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    They have Heyla and could bring back Muezhala (spelling?), creating such a detailed model with new animations to be one and done in a dungeon would be a waste.

Although I doubt that’s the direction they’d go.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    How are they going to make more profit if millions of people unsubscribe due to intolerable content droughts?
    Monetise the game more. Subs probably have been a great metric for revenue generation since the token was introduced. They'll just make the shop more egregious slowly but surely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    The sooner SL is done for the better
    Why? So you can have the same shit in the next xpac?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    Was the story of Maldraxxus concluded? What I mean, is the traitorous Baron defeated? Haven't played Necrolord campaign and can't remember from leveling. There's always a possibility of a side raid for a specific covenant. Although I wouldn't want them to derail the story that much. Natural progression after 9.1 would be fighting the Jailer himself, but where if Torghast is destroyed and he escaped the Maw?
    It, like almost all the other plot points of the others, get dealt with in the 9.1 campaign. As far as I can see the only thing they could do as an off-topic side raid in 9.2. would be some Trader/Devourer stuff, but that could also be a delayed 9.1.5 patch if they wanted. Some people go on about the "life lands", but most of that seems to be more grasping at straws.

Edit: Same for introducing a light/shadow raid/patch. Some compare it to the stuff we had in BfA with the old gods, though I think the one naruu we've seen in the SL has already been sufficiently used without anymore payoff, unlike hentai mountain, which was the kick-off for the old god story. Not to mention Ion at least claims that the Jailer will be the final boss, so pulling another BfA seems a bit illogical, since the delayed old god plot then became the main plot towards the end (the faction plot had to end before though), which doesn't work here, since the naruu plot would need to end before the Jailer plot.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-05-29 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    No, if you read my post, you will see I mentioned more than just timeline. Release timeline is just 1 reason.

As I mentioned, the lore and storyline doesn't really support another major content patch so far.

Also, we have to admit that SL is not a well received expansion. I don't see any future patches can change the fundamental systems in SL.

What can 9.3 bring? Renown level 160? Torghast layer 30, 40, 50? More anima farming, conduit ranks and sanctum upgrades? Those are not exciting things players are waiting for.

I truly believe no 9.3 bullshit and bringing 10.0 in time in late 2022 is the better decision for wow as a game, if Blizzard still cares about the franchise.
    Some of the best raids in wow where raids that didnt fit the theme of the expansion.

Ulduar comes to mind.

I always find it odd when people are like "there are no baddies left". Like.... who do you think created the baddies we allready have? :P

SL is better recieved than BFA was. SL biggest problem is covid => lack of content. Rushing a new expansion wont fix that.

What can 10.0 bring that 9.3 cant?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    9.1 was actually out at a pretty standard content release schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

WoD is an old expansion at this point. Blizzard has stated several times that they know the content release was not good for WoD. They dont want to make another one of those if they can help it. Its simply not something they strive for.

They learned from WoD and Ion has LITERALLY said they dont want to make SL another WoD.
    Ion says whatever he can in those interviews. He also said in an interview that alliance won't get blue eyed fair skinned thalassians. He changed his mind. So there is that.
    Other than that wow and blizzard is not a one man show. Especially when it comes to money ion can say whatever he wants in an interview, if the money demands it they WILL take action. Even if you like SL, which is fine, it's still badly received and wow needs fresh air.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...