Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why didn't Hamuul Runetotem write a letter to Malfurion condemning

the burning of teldrassil. I think he should be kicked out of the cenarion circle just for that. As always Horde reacts late and then expects to be treated like the victim. I hope Blizzard doesn't forget this and have Hamuul write a letter of apology to the night elves.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Because blizzard didn’t think the burning through at all and just ignored how every one else on Azeroth should have reacted because if they didn’t the war would have ended day one with every wild god in the area smashing orb to dust.

@Legends303 and @OwenBurton

Blizzard really don't follow everything their big events would effect. Even things that they should factor in and take time out to mention.

It's probably because so many people work on these, they are not written in one stroke after doing the research or by the person who created the lore threads.

there can be lots of reasons. It would have been good to see the Tauren druids finally react to the things the horde do in Ashenvale, rather than just pretend it's not happening.. As players, when you see these things you immediately wonder, but developers who aren't specifically into the lore or careful about it, would miss it because they have so much to juggle.

It could be they didn't miss it, but because wow just doesn't focus on lore all that much, they didn't fit it in anywhere. This is the sort of thing you need to ask them.

Why would he? He had nothing to do with it, is far more aligned with the Cenarion Circle than the Horde as far as I know (Is he even considered part of the Horde?), and it's quite clear that he'd find it a horrible event.

It would just be a "my condolences" at that point which is pretty....pointless.

exactly what daemos said. blizzard has stopped caring for a coherent story and just go for wow factors now.

why is everyone just suddenly ok with the burning of teldrassil? why did none of the kyrain stop and question why all the souls are going to the maw? why did we leave the tidestone of golganeth in the tomb to let azshara yank it? why do the covenants work together and yet we can only help one? why did sylvanas give her game away when saurfang taunted her when she didn't to any other taunt over the 10ish years (i think it was around 10 years) that sylvanas was part of this plan? why didn't elisande see the future where the alliance and horde work together to beat the burning legion? quick spoiler warning for this next one but why is tyrande going to lose most of her night warrior power in 9.1 when the only things she's done with it are lose to nathanos and then beat nathanos?

blizz just don't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Why would he? He had nothing to do with it, is far more aligned with the Cenarion Circle than the Horde as far as I know (Is he even considered part of the Horde?), and it's quite clear that he'd find it a horrible event.

Considering the Runetotem Tribe is part of the Horde and he's likely its leader yeah I'd imagine so. Malfurion was also Neutral for ages yet he fought against the Horde.

Also did Malfurion write Thrall a letter condemning Cenarius for tyring to genocide the Warsong? Thought so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Hamuul Runetotem is the personal student of Malfurion Stormrage, both the Archdruid of Thunder Bluff (mirroring Fandral Staghelm, and later Broll Bearmantle, who were Archdruids of Darnassus) and a Archdruid leader of the Cenarion Circle.

Trust me, like Broll Bearmantle and Jaina Proudmoore are firmly in the Alliance camp, even when they were "neutral", Hamuul is firmly in the Horde camp and most likely still is, even after the Burning of Teldrassil and the Horde's plot to assassinate his mentor and friend.

Maybe couriers don't make trips to Silithus?

But to echo the sentiment here, Blizzard didn't consider (and/or didn't care about) the implications burning Teldrassil should have had. Not that Hamuul is really the one that should be apologizing for it, and I'm sure Malfurion doesn't need a letter to understand how he views it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtwili View Post
    Hamuul Runetotem is the personal student of Malfurion Stormrage, both the Archdruid of Thunder Bluff (mirroring Fandral Staghelm, and later Broll Bearmantle, who were Archdruids of Darnassus) and a Archdruid leader of the Cenarion Circle.

Trust me, like Broll Bearmantle and Jaina Proudmoore are firmly in the Alliance camp, even when they were "neutral", Hamuul is firmly in the Horde camp and most likely still is, even after the Burning of Teldrassil and the Horde's plot to assassinate his mentor and friend.
    I'm sure he's firmly in the Thunder Bluff camp, but afaik Hamuul has never participated in any combat between the Alliance and Horde.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2021-05-29 at 04:53 PM.

He is not an important character. It is more for how seen in BFA. I think that for Blizzard not even the tauren are an important race for them.
    What I'm going to may be that I send you the letter and we will find out. It really is irrelevant in history.

And it is more with or without letter the Horde should leave the Cenarius Circle. Or at least just meet on neutral ground.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Also did Malfurion write Thrall a letter condemning Cenarius for tyring to genocide the Warsong? Thought so.
    When pass that?
    You mean when Cenarius defended the forest? I think the fact that no one claims Cenarius's death from the Horde and that the Horde is accepted into the Druidic makes the message quite clear.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Considering the Runetotem Tribe is part of the Horde and he's likely its leader yeah I'd imagine so. Malfurion was also Neutral for ages yet he fought against the Horde.

I'm assuming the second part is towards the OP?

But otherwise honestly I did somehow miss the first few lines of his bio including that he's an advisor to Baine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtwili View Post

That's fair enough, but that does kinda just extend into the fact that Baine also knew nothing of Teldrassil so Hamuul wouldn't have either.

That's not to say the Horde is innocent due to ignorance of what was happening/planned, but add that Hamuul knew nothing together with the fact that he's also considers Malfurion his teacher and close friend, along with the fact that Hamuul was focused on healing the wound in Silithus, if anything the real question should be why he didn't help Malfurion.

But that's answered by the fact that he was in Silithus helping prevent the world itself from dying. And a letter would definitely come off as just a bit disrespectful if anything I would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like already mentioned above Blizzard didn't think things through at all. Like why would some of the Horde Champions even bother to aid the Horde instead of standing with the Night Elves after everything that just happened during Legion. The entire expansion was about rising above being JUST Horde or Alliance and fighting together.

They made us leaders of entire Order Halls for 2 years only to revert us back to peasants without so much as a howdy-do, fuck that shit.

The Slayer, Archdruid, Archmage, High Priest, Highlord, Farseer, Grandmaster and Huntmaster regardless of their race would not have aided the Horde. The others perhaps, but also not very likely.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

The fact is that the Burning of Teldrassil was design as a setup for the expansion by the dev team, but it should have been core to the expansion, having huge ramification in a lot of aspect of both the game and the lore. Honestly, I think it would have made a lot more sense if the event happened midway through the expansion as escalation for the war between the Horde and the Alliance, showing Sylvanas going too far. The War of Thornes storyline should have been more integral to the initial story setup, not just this quick pre-patch event. Post-Teldrassil, the story could have unfold multiple storylines, with the attack on Lordaeron, Saurfang rebellion and Tyrande's quest for revenge. All of that story is actually very compelling and would have impacted a lot of characters overall.

The problem is that this huge and great storyline was mixed with the Kul'Tiras and Zandalar storyline, who were clearly designed to culminate with an Old God invasion. It's like there is a bunch of story missing in the middle. One of the biggest issue in the game is that new storyline is only added with expansions and expansion patches, meaning a larger storyline like the 4th war and the Burning of Teldrassil, a storyline that don't need any new continent or features, really, doesn't have a place to be told. Blizzard should consider adding content patches in between expansion to tell stories with the existing world without having the need to had new zones or stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    @Legends303 and @OwenBurton

Blizzard really don't follow everything their big events would effect. Even things that they should factor in and take time out to mention.

It's probably because so many people work on these, they are not written in one stroke after doing the research or by the person who created the lore threads.

there can be lots of reasons. It would have been good to see the Tauren druids finally react to the things the horde do in Ashenvale, rather than just pretend it's not happening.. As players, when you see these things you immediately wonder, but developers who aren't specifically into the lore or careful about it, would miss it because they have so much to juggle.

It could be they didn't miss it, but because wow just doesn't focus on lore all that much, they didn't fit it in anywhere. This is the sort of thing you need to ask them.
    Most tauren druids likely remained relatively neutral, perhaps they quietly moved to Moonglade, Hyjal or the Broken Isles - or at least in background support roles - I'm not sure there were any tauren druids fighting the Alliance, for example, in most of the quests - there were tauren warriors, perhaps, and some paladins and shaman, but not druids. Most night elf druids have very likely joined the Alliance after Teldrassil; most of them were fighting actively in the War of the Thorns (Lorash killed quite a lot of them) and the Fourth War, including at Darkshore and elsewhere.

These are the main points of the current unclear situation:

1. The Cenarion Circle still exists - and still includes Alliance and the Horde members, as its banner is still found in Stormwind and Orgrimmar. This is unlike the Silver Hand, whose ranks have splintered, and their paladins are fighting each other openly at Stromgarde.
    2. Mount Hyjal has become the second home of the night elves, at least momentarily - perhaps Malfurion used his influence to secure this location for them, and perhaps the Guardians of Hyjal Ancients, even if not willing to fight directly against the Horde, are sympathetic enough to allow them to settle there.
    3. There are tauren druids, such as Tholo Whitehoof and Tiala Whitemane, still protecting Nordrassil as part of the Guardians of Hyjal - perhaps they quietly informed Malfurion that they did not support Teldrassil, and offered their empathy and understanding, and were allowed to remain at Nordrassil.

"I see that you are uneasy about this... These ancients are being turned against even your kind, druid -- against their very purpose on this world.
    Grant them the peace of release, or else our peoples' blood will coat these trees." - Sylvanas Windrunner
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/broadca...-284050?page=4

But for example, what about the Horde allied races - would most Zandalari want to join the Cenarion Circle in any case, leaving their island for an elven settlement or a massive tree hundreds of miles away? Is Hyjal and Moonglade mostly Alliance now, as they were night elf settlements originally and Malfurion apparently dislikes the Horde now, or are they still basically neutral, calmly welcoming all tauren and trolls regardless? The situation is both vague and unclear - do most night elves and tauren despise each other, or are they friends again now that Sylvanas is gone from the Horde?
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-05-29 at 08:17 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Teldrassil was only like 30 years old and was widely regarded as a Night Elf fuckup and a symbol of their hubris, I can see Horde Druids being totally ambivalent to it's destruction, even participating in it.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Teldrassil was only like 30 years old and was widely regarded as a Night Elf fuckup and a symbol of their hubris, I can see Horde Druids being totally ambivalent to it's destruction, even participating in it.
    Malfurion was the one that called it a fuck up and labelled it a result of hubris. Yet he as the leader of the Druids did not stand totally ambivalent to it. Like all of nature he fought to save it despite its origin.

Night elves did the same with the second well of eternity. They thought Illidan created it to call the demons back. But despite the potential threat its existence posed they chose to protect and guard it, cherish it too as they witnessed its energy cause nature to flourish and Nordrassil to grow as did the Moonwells from it enhance all of nature from it.

They gave up immortality to save the Well of Eternity and to save Teldrassil, risked the nightmare menace that almost destroyed the world.

I find it hard to imagine Tauren druids indifferent because of the motive of the Druid who oversaw the project.

Fandral may have mainly wanted it for restoring night elf immortalities but I suspect it had far many more benefits which is why the circle of Ancients OKed it.

The event was pretty spontaneous. It was a response to the whole "hope" thing. They couldn't exactly blame Hamuul for not persuading her to do it. He very likely didn't know it was going to happen until after the fact. I can't imagine Sylvanas, even if she had planned to actually burn the tree rather than just wage war to send souls to the Maw, would have let anyone know who would have been against it. Even Nathanos was a little stunned when she commanded him to do it. If this much was planned, even Nathanos may not have known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard considering the logical ramifications of one of their big shock-and-awe set pieces? Pffffhahahahaha best joke I've heard this year.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Honestly like he would of gave a shit...I mean other Tauren Druids were in the attack and helped to fight against them in the battle of Darkshore

or did they shit I don't know cannoninity of the player characters is sketchy at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Doubtful, especially for the tauren. Teldrassil was cleansed, making it a tree druids would want to preserve, never mind that most of the night elves' civilian populace is there and the tauren suffered a massacre of their own civilians by Magatha within living memory back after the Shattering (and empathy is one of those things they're big on culturally, something the Forsaken took advantage of to get Cairne to argue for their induction and which led Baine to forgive Garrosh for being dumb enough to let Magatha brazenly manipulate him into enabling her coup in the first place).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    the burning of teldrassil. I think he should be kicked out of the cenarion circle just for that. As always Horde reacts late and then expects to be treated like the victim. I hope Blizzard doesn't forget this and have Hamuul write a letter of apology to the night elves.
    Why do you think he didn't rather than us simply not being informed of it? Malfurion had better things to do than tell us Hamuul sent him a letter, and Hamuul didn't do much publically in BfA.