I don't think shaming, fearing or ostracizing people in to taking the vaccine is the way to go. It seems a funny thing to me anyway to say "I want you do to something for me otherwise you are selfish." It's like people spend all their time now on social media learning all these bad habits and it's the only way they know how to get their way. I'm sure if people spent more time in their local communities building bridges people would be more likely to take up the vaccine out of good spirit.

Personally I think it should be up to every individual to decide ultimately, if you want the vaccine take it, if not don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    I don't think shaming, fearing or ostracizing people in to taking the vaccine is the way to go. It seems a funny thing to me anyway to say "I want you do to something for me otherwise you are selfish." It's like people spend all their time now on social media learning all these bad habits and it's the only way they know how to get their way. I'm sure if people spent more time in their local communities building bridges people would be more likely to take up the vaccine out of good spirit.

Personally I think it should be up to every individual to decide ultimately, if you want the vaccine take it, if not don't.
    You could not be more wrongheaded and backward than to give the "selfish" label to the people that want what is best for everyone. It is not the duty of everyone else to bend over backwards and accommodate the selfish outliers who, if they cared for the local community in the first place, would not need such placation in order to act in its best interest.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    You could not be more wrongheaded and backward than to give the "selfish" label to the people that want what is best for everyone. It is not the duty of everyone else to bend over backwards and accommodate the selfish outliers who, if they cared for the local community in the first place, would not need such placation in order to act in its best interest.
    Playing devils advocate, its not the duty of any individual to bend over backwards to accommodate the selfish thoughts of the masses. Yelling at someone to get a vaccine because "its for me and everyone else, not you", isn't a strong argument. Its weaker when its not a mandated vaccine. At that point, you're hoping its either shame, fear or inconvenience that drives them to get the vaccine.

You say "if they cared for the community". Well, why should they care about the community? Try looking at it from that perspective. Try to find a reason they would want to care about those around them to begin with, especially when those around them will never talk to them and will never care about them as an individual.

Continuing devils advocate, they are new vaccines. Its as simple as that. The pure fact, even by experts statements and testimonies, we do not and cannot know any long term side effects at this time. Its that simple. Link any source you want to support the vaccines, they will admit to the same thing. Heck, I could start linking sources on how there are were no mRNA vaccines approved for human use prior to covid 19, or how we don't know the mid - long term effects.

Point is, you can play the same argument on both sides. You can call people selfish for wanting to force others to be vaccinated who are not at a particularly large risk to the disease just as easily as call people who don't want the vaccine and give it less chances to spread and mutate more selfish as well. Both sides are going to think their right no matter what. At the end of the day, you have to accept the fact that the very nature of these vaccines has set this up. That nature being a type of vaccine that has never had a single human clearance before and is lacking in long and mid term data. Some hesitation is only natural when paired with a disease that has a mortality rate of less then 3% for any individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I mean I could sorta of understand back in Dec, January even, not even really but whatever, but at this stage 95% of doctors taking this, I mean, at this point 7 months after it's available, if you are more scared of the vaccine then covid, and that's your choice, something ain't right with your head. Whatever way someone wants to justify the "hesitancy" at this point, "it's too new," "It will give me tracking devices," "meh Im young I won't get sick so YOLO" doesn't translate to selfishness to me, it translates to "I'm whacky."

But I am not asking everyone else to bend over backwards to accommodate me, those that think that I would assume have a savior complex.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post

Well said. It's like this whole vaccination thing turned into a massive virtue-signal where you're a sudden hero because you choose to vaccinate and an uneducated moron for choosing not to. Like... Everything on the internet.

Idk what other people's reasons for not vaccinating are, but I care about as much as other people's reasons for choosing to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know all your posts are labeled \s for a reason, but this is a perfect excerpt from Nazi germany pampflet on why eugenics is necessary. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    People of all ages have died genius. Likewise with health status.
    Yes, I know how outliners work.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It hasn't been approved by the FDA? You know why you can't just by a vaccine OTC and have to go through a pharmacists or doctor? Because they all have that little 'just in case' clause built into them, so you can't just start suing people if you have an allergic reaction. 'Emergency use' does not mean the critical parts of the medince haven't been tested, it means time wasting formalities can be skipped. Formalities such as need a prescription or insurance approval for every jab. We don't need to know the molecular make up of ever inactive ingredient in vile or what happens if someone takes the vaccine then French kisses a COVID patient.

"Damn bro, we can't give you this ibuprofen because it has only has an emergency authorization".

Its strange (not really) that many people who championed Trump's 'Right to Try' legislation are suspicious about vaccine technologies that havr been used for at least a decade if not more.
    https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavi...id-19-vaccine/

I look forward to the new goal post excuse of whatever is making these "hesitent" people who make me /facepalm and still not gonna be getting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavi...id-19-vaccine/

I look forward to the new goal post excuse of whatever is making these "hesitent" people who make me /facepalm and still not gonna be getting it.
    So them not wanting to isn't enough for you? They don't owe you any excuse or explanation over their choice of what to do with their bodies

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    So them not wanting to isn't enough for you? They don't owe you any excuse or explanation over their choice of what to do with their bodies
    Them not wanting it, is entirely enough for me. I don't care what stupid reason they decide to not get it, they are free to choose to intentionally risk their lives needlessly, and i'm gonna be right there to mock them for stupidly admitting to doing such.

5+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the: "I don't trust vaccines and Covid isn't a big deal" thread. The thread has derailed multiple times over comments like this, so a new warning was added to the OP.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

I noticed that yet another country revised their death-numbers: Peru https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/01/...th-new-figures
    A middle-income country so it has enough elderly to be at risk, but lack of many things that reduce the spread and death-toll in higher-income countries; and obviously with lack of testing and less than 10% even partially vaccinated.

The number of deaths in Peru are revised from 69k to 180k, and the new number seem to be more consistent with excess-death numbers previously reported - https://www.economist.com/briefing/2...g-the-pandemic

The new numbers suggest that Peru is the hardest hit country in terms of death-per-capita and 5th in the world in terms of death-numbers, but there are a number of other countries that also have under-reported deaths to a similar or even larger extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Oh, and after AstraZeneca renaming their vaccine to Vaxzevria (at least in the EU), now WHO are renaming the variants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-57308592 https://www.who.int/en/activities/tr...oV-2-variants/

So instead of uk-variant (or Kent-variant) it is now Alpha, and instead of Indian-variant it is Delta. However, looking forward it seems the Greek alphabets have too few letters.
    I find this really ridiculous and just waste of time. Most people are not gonna start calling them differently just because some goverment has lot of garbage people who want to shift the blame somewhere else (India). And yes, how long until you run out of letters?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean I could sorta of understand back in Dec, January even, not even really but whatever, but at this stage 95% of doctors taking this, I mean, at this point 7 months after it's available, if you are more scared of the vaccine then covid, and that's your choice, something ain't right with your head. Whatever way someone wants to justify the "hesitancy" at this point, "it's too new," "It will give me tracking devices," "meh Im young I won't get sick so YOLO" doesn't translate to selfishness to me, it translates to "I'm whacky."
    To me, the worst part isn't even the hesitancy (which is very bad), it's the pride in the hesitancy. Like, if they want to endanger not just themselves but others around them by refusing to get vaccinated, then that makes them horrible people, but to be so damned boastful about being an asshat?

Mindboggling.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I find this really ridiculous and just waste of time. Most people are not gonna start calling them differently just because some goverment has lot of garbage people who want to shift the blame somewhere else (India). And yes, how long until you run out of letters?
    There are 10 variants so far, and the Greek alphabet normally has 24 letters so we might run out during this or the next year.

I agree with not being happy with India trying to shift the blame in this way from their own failures.

However, if a country is bad at keeping track of variants (like India) the variants might be detected in another country (Vietnam) and then it's more complicated; and we already had this issue with Eta that was found in both the uk and Nigeria (it's not the bad uk-variant); so it has no good nickname. And then we also have the issue that there are two Indian variants Delta (B.1.617.2) and Kappa (B.1.617.1). (It's Delta that is the problematic one.)

on a different note.. got my second dose couple of hours ago. so far no flu like symptoms yet but the arm hurts a lot more then the last time. I used a different arm this time, so hopefully that means nanobots are starting to work and i'm about to become my own walking wifi hotspot :P

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    on a different note.. got my second dose couple of hours ago. so far no flu like symptoms yet but the arm hurts a lot more then the last time. I used a different arm this time, so hopefully that means nanobots are starting to work and i'm about to become my own walking wifi hotspot :P
    If you find some nearby protesters, hang around them and ask if your presence has improved their 5G cell signals!

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    funny since the majority of people not getting the vaccination are from the same party that wants to control your bodies when it comes to abortion, sex and surgeries related to gender. So very odd they are so concerned with the right to choose....hmmm
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If you find some nearby protesters, hang around them and ask if your presence has improved their 5G cell signals!
    I'm going to use mine to increase my internet speed. US internet sucks.