Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

China reports first human case of H10N3 bird flu

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...lu-2021-06-01/

A 41-year-old man in China’s eastern province of Jiangsu has been confirmed as the first human case of infection with a rare strain of bird flu known as H10N3, Beijing’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Tuesday.

Many different strains of bird flu are present in China and some sporadically infect people, usually those working with poultry. There is no indication that H10N3 can spread easily in humans.

The man, a resident of the city of Zhenjiang, was hospitalized on April 28 and diagnosed with H10N3 on May 28, the health commission said. It did not give details on how the man was infected.

His condition is now stable and he is ready to be discharged. Investigation of his close contacts found no other cases, the NHC said. No other cases of human infection with H10N3 have been reported globally, it added.

H10N3 is low pathogenic, which means it causes relatively less severe disease in poultry and is unlikely to cause a large-scale outbreak, the NHC added.

The World Health Organization (WHO), in a reply to Reuters in Geneva, said: "The source of the patient’s exposure to the H10N3 virus is not known at this time, and no other cases were found in emergency surveillance among the local population. At this time, there is no indication of human-to-human transmission.

"As long as avian influenza viruses circulate in poultry, sporadic infection of avian influenza in humans is not surprising, which is a vivid reminder that the threat of an influenza pandemic is persistent," the WHO added.

The strain is "not a very common virus", said Filip Claes, regional laboratory coordinator of the Food and Agriculture Organization's Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases at the regional office for Asia and the Pacific.

Only around 160 isolates of the virus were reported in the 40 years to 2018, mostly in wild birds or waterfowl in Asia and some limited parts of North America, and none had been detected in chickens so far, he added.

Analysing the genetic data of the virus will be necessary to determine whether it resembles older viruses or if it is a novel mix of different viruses, Claes said.

There have been no significant numbers of human infections with bird flu since the H7N9 strain killed around 300 people during 2016-2017.

Are we living in the apocalypse?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems that we do, in fact, live in a simulation and those playing the game keep restarting the playthrough.

These diseases are being generated due to how they handle animals and other such things. Even once corona is gone or not a problem anymore, it is only a matter of time until another just pops up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember initially viewing COVID19 as just another new virus from a village in China that would burn out. Most people just figured it would mimic SARS (1) and MERS.

The strain in question isn't known to be particularly deadly or contagious. All things considered, the upcoming flu season is predicted to be active because we've practically missed one and there's a little concern that this year's shot may not be exactly primed for this years flu.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    These diseases are being generated due to how they handle animals and other such things.
    It's a bit more complicated than that.

Eurasia (as a geographical continent) was and is the source of countless animal to human transmissions due to the fact that animal husbandry/agriculture and having animals in close proximity to humans has been a defining feature of the continent.

The Asian side of Eurasia also incidentally happens to hold the majority of the continent's population so the chances of a transmission occurring there is higher than the chances of transmission happening in Europe. The total population of Europe is just shy of 750, meanwhile the total population of Asia is over 4.5b, so the odds of an illness jumping from animals to humans is simply higher there.

There are certain other elements that play into this as well, such as Europe being in relative terms more developed infrastructure wise, so there's a more defined barrier between humans and animals, there's the component of Asia's larger biodiversity etc.

If anything is going to really bone us it will something that comes out of the melting permafrost. Something that might have not been around for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years to which pretty much nothing alive today has any resistance to which could possibly burn through mammals and hit our livestock before jumping to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If anything is going to really bone us it will something that comes out of the melting permafrost. Something that might have not been around for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years to which pretty much nothing alive today has any resistance to which could possibly burn through mammals and hit our livestock before jumping to humans.
    This is incredibly unlikely. While we haven't been evolving to develop specific antibodies for any archeobacteri/viruses, we have been evolving an ever better immune system to do so on an ever more rapid basis (though, this pressure has dramatically slowed since the advent of anti-biotics and vaccines among humans). Then you have the problem that the surface proteins of every living thing have changed since those archeo-diseases were last active. The "keys" they use to infect cells aren't likely to work anymore. Whatever does come unfrozen will be at a multi-millennia long evolution debt and are unlikely to be able to infect anything in the first place. I would put this worry far from your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This is incredibly unlikely. While we haven't been evolving to develop specific antibodies for any archeobacteri/viruses, we have been evolving an ever better immune system to do so on an ever more rapid basis (though, this pressure has dramatically slowed since the advent of antibiotics and vaccines among humans). Then you have the problem that the surface proteins of every living thing have changed since those archeo-diseases were last active. The "keys" they use to infect cells aren't likely to work anymore. Whatever does come unfrozen will be at a multi-millennia long evolution debt and are unlikely to be able to infect anything in the first place. I would put this worry far from your mind.
    Super-bacteria man

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Seems that we do, in fact, live in a simulation and those playing the game keep restarting the playthrough.
    new game+ mode

10+ Year Old Account
    Bruh, can we not

Dammit China can you wait until we end this pandemic before starting another one?

According to the NHC, human transmission of H10N3 has not been reported elsewhere in China
    Heyyy I've heard that before

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully China is being more forthcoming with news of this disease this time around, instead of like last time where they covered it up and silenced doctors until it was painfully clear something was going on that far exceeded their control which then spread to the rest of the world, potentially far earlier than they ever admitted, and landed the entire globe in a year-long shutdown with millions dead.

And, as I and others have noted... where's the fundamental change, here? SARS, COVID and now this thing at first look, whether it turns out to be contagious and dangerous or not, all seem to stem from the absolutely deplorable conditions involved in handling livestock, both domesticated and imported, within China. With all of China's authoritarian overreach, why is none of it being used to shut down, or at least improve, these utterly unsanitary conditions? I mean I don't personally consider it an inalienable human right to buy half-starved, diseased exotic animals stacked upon eachother in crates to prop up quack medicine. I'd think China doing away with those would earn them nothing but praise internationally.

Other countries have large farms. Other countries have zoonotic bacterial and viral diseases. But why is it that China stands alone in being the sole epidemiological center of two zoonotic disease outbreaks in less than two decades? Are people figuring that it's just "random bad luck?" Because I'd think a third jump, regardless of eventual intensity, should be cause for some damn concern.

Now don't get it twisted. This is not me calling COVID "Chyna virus!" or some attempt to pass the buck off from the flagrant and appalling domestic mismanagement and misinformation over COVID, especially that spouted by Trump and his sycophants. I'm not some conspiracy theorist that thinks it was brewed up in a lab or was some malicious action taken by China specifically. But I think it's fairly evident that the Chinese government at the outset of COVID was neither forthcoming with their information ("they didn't want to cause a panic!" falls pretty hollow when they're going out of their way to silence medical professionals and, seeing what happened, maybe some panic was due) nor willing to act until it was far too late.

So like I said. Whatever this thing is... I sure hope that they're accurate THIS TIME in saying that they've got it contained to one guy, and that it hasn't been knocking around China for months and is already among the rest of the world and they just plum didn't think to tell anyone about it. And maybe they're due for a little introspection on their laws dictating animal husbandry in China. Which, frankly, they should have been doing regardless of this second virus and should do regardless of how harmful or harmless it turns out being.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-06-02 at 05:46 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    What else is new? A new virus popping up in China is like saying the sky is blue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    What else is new? A new virus popping up in China is like saying the sky is blue.
    Almost like China has 20% of the world population.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad, because they seem to not be commiting the same mistakes they did with Sars-Cov-2, this one time they reported the case asap.

much to do about nothing. wake me up when it's airborne.

The gift that keeps on giving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    20% of the population. 100% of the world's deadliest pandemics in the 21st century
    Turns out you can only have 1 of the world's deadliest pandemic.

Once you have had one major issue it's normal that people pay more attention to similar events, similarly as Generals always fight the last war, - even if the new major problem is likely to be something completely different; that's why we will get a bit more reports about various diseases jumping to humans for awhile - especially in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    20% of the population. 100% of the world's deadliest pandemics in the 21st century
    The second part is debatable.

The HIV/Aids epidemic/pandemic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_HIV/AIDS continued into the 21st century, and has so for taken perhaps 10-15 million lives during the 21st century. Covid-19 is on the way to beating that - but it doesn't seem like it has so far.