Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Good news! That pay to win boost I bought lasted all of two hours before every single piece of gear I got was replaced by quest items and dungeon drops. So much winning for me!
    The guy that started at the same time as you is having so much fun kiting one Quilboar at a time in the barrens. He is one who truly won.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    The guy that started at the same time as you is having so much fun kiting one Quilboar at a time in the barrens. He is one who truly won.
    It's not hard to level and gear in classic or TBC btw, I wish folks would stop making it out to be that. Without boosting I leveled a shaman on alliance with an average of more than a level per hour for the trip. Ran some raids with my guild this week for gear and will be in a good spot for TBC. My hourly through the first 30 levels was less than an hour per level (2 levels per average for the first 15 levels). I didn't buy myself anything other than bags with my level 60 toons. I ended the leveling trip with almost 500g in my bag, blues in everyone spot except my neck and 1 ring and reputations in numerous factions almost or past honored. Also mining is maxed and am in a good spot for jewel crafting to go up quickly. My cooking is maxed as is first aid. All that in less than 2 weeks.

I would say in a guild with over 400 active people playing not a single boosted player that has boosted in the last 2 weeks are as far progressed as I am and I did this part time when I got home from work every evening. Pay-to-win is so a thing....

This guy copied classic 60-level toon in most cases. Even if this guy started a new 1-lvl character, he can level it in a week or so (I leveled my current main during actual TBC in something like 5-6 days), before any serious raiding activily.

And if we talk about completely new player - he do not need to be competitive, and can experience a full leveling adventure while slowly learning the game/class. At least when I start to play any new MMO, I am not using any boosts in any cicrcuimstances on my first/main character, because I want to feel the game, story, learn the class, etc. I can use it on alt then, but I doubt it can be considered as "win".

So, no win in any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Idk. Skipping 100+ hours at least of gameplay feels like pay to win to me.
    Sounds like efficient use of time and money. Fuck sitting at a pc for 100 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Sounds like efficient use of time and money. Fuck sitting at a pc for 100 hours.
    "Brand new offer! For an additional $99.99 you can skip the entire game completely and use your time even more efficiently!"

Quote Originally Posted by iinverse View Post
    "Brand new offer! For an additional $99.99 you can skip the entire game completely and use your time even more efficiently!"
    Which, according to your own description on the previous post, wouldn't be considered P2W.

Which, according to your own description on the previous post, wouldn't be considered P2W.
    Yep. How can you win if you just skip the game? )

I didn't play Classic Vanilla. Just bought the boost. Started playing retail in BC, so i'm trying to recreate my first character.

If the character boost system had never been implemented then I would have just never touched the game.

Idk how people can't see that the boost is actually a good implementation for the growth of the community. It attracts more players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I didn't play Classic Vanilla. Just bought the boost. Started playing retail in BC, so i'm trying to recreate my first character.

If the character boost system had never been implemented then I would have just never touched the game.

Idk how people can't see that the boost is actually a good implementation for the growth of the community. It attracts more players.
    I’ve gone out of my way to not play TBC because of how heavily I disagree with their MTX.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And I'm only playing because of the boost /shrug
    My point was that it goes both ways.

Anyone who says WoW isn't pay to win now just doesn't know what pay to win is. If you can spend real money to gain an advantage over players who aren't spending real money, it's pay to win. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Anyone who says WoW isn't pay to win now just doesn't know what pay to win is. If you can spend real money to gain an advantage over players who aren't spending real money, it's pay to win. It's that simple.
    I think people are taking the whole "pay to win" to a weird degree.

This s becoming something akin to "I suffered and wasted my time leveling, so now you have to endure it too!".

The boost doesn't give you a power advantage. Rather, it just saves you time by skipping irrelevant content.

I think people are taking the whole "pay to win" to a weird degree.

This s becoming something akin to "I suffered and wasted my time leveling, so now you have to endure it too!".

The boost doesn't give you a power advantage. Rather, it just saves you time by skipping irrelevant content.
    Pay to win doesn't require a significant power increase. Pay to win means you can gain an advantage by spending money that players not spending the same money will have. So, sure, it lets you skip content but that's EXACTLY why it's a form of pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Pay to win doesn't require a significant power increase. Pay to win means you can gain an advantage by spending money that players not spending the same money will have. So, sure, it lets you skip content but that's EXACTLY why it's a form of pay to win.
    I honestly think the best solution is to just offer a boost to everybody for free like in retail (obviously won't happen)

Then again, you don't have to pay for the expansion. This is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    P2W in my opinion is something that gives you a competitive advantage against other players in content that matters.
    So in the case of WoW that would be in Arena/RBG, mythic+ and raids. There have never been and still isn't anything that you can buy from Blizzard that gives you a competitive advantage in these areas.

Edit: I am wrong. You can buy a race change and races can give you an advantage, albeit a small one, in competitive end-game settings.

In the case of the TBC boost I would rather call it Pay-to-avoid-hassle. You can to a small degree compare it with the tab-system in PoE where you can still play the game with the free tabs, but it is a goddam hassle.
    But does ppl get an advantage. they get to play the character they want on outland day one. They are geeting ahead of the curve they will have less trouble finding groups, they will reach lvl 70 earlier. They will set the AH prices. They will gear up faster, be raid faster and assert their raiding spots faster.

Ppl in my guild are already lvl 63 and i am still grinding to reach lvl 40 on my Paladin.

And i have less options to find ppl to grind dungeons or form groups when they skip the lvling.

And forget about everything i said it is a microtransaction why are you defending it are you guys Blizzard employers trying to get us to be find with it

I honestly think the best solution is to just offer a boost to everybody for free like in retail (obviously won't happen)

Then again, you don't have to pay for the expansion. This is a good compromise.
    sure, maybe. But it's still a form of pay to win if players can dish out money to skip large swaths of content.

Most microtransactions in the industry work this way. Look at any mobile game. By your definition, pay2win does not exist in any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Not having to level a character for 2 months? Seems pretty damn winning to me. Like seriously consider that. The boost saves average player probably 150 hours normally leveling and questing. Assume they play 2 hours a day. That would actually be like 2.5 months. That doent even take into account people don't play every day, they might play retail as well and don't play classic every day, etc etc.

Just because you aren't looting Ilidans warplaives and getting gladiator doesn't mean you aren't winning.
    2 months lul, you backpeddle to every quest?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I think the problem is to a lot of people this game is more a trophy than a game. So they want to have all the boxes checked so it doesn't matter how they get checked but only that they are. So any lengths is worth it and even more so if they don't have to actually play. Really its odd to me. But to each thier own. I just wish I thought up the product that people didn't want to use that much but will throw a lot of money at just to say they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    2 months lul, you backpeddle to every quest?
    He might be right in some cases. My allotted time for the game is around 3 hours every other week. Today I just did 1 BG and 1 instance, that was enough to feel satisfied. Honestly I'm so happy the boost exists, or I would be getting to 70 in 2022.