Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Over 90% of the time when someone says they're carrying someone... they're not. They have a piece or two of better gear and want any reason to inflate their own ego.
    Oh the stories I could tell. My most recent leveling roulette grouped me with a tank who had everything at 80 (not blue mage) so by all account he should have been a seasoned veteran. But the way he just sprinted out of line of sight from me (the healer) all the goddamn time, he actually may have been a newbie with a ton of money for boosts.

So yeah these kind of dicks exist in both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Oh the stories I could tell. My most recent leveling roulette grouped me with a tank who had everything at 80 (not blue mage) so by all account he should have been a seasoned veteran. But the way he just sprinted out of line of sight from me (the healer) all the goddamn time, he actually may have been a newbie with a ton of money for boosts.

To be fair, playing a lot doesn't always equal skill. He could just have been bad at video games in general but had a lot of free time on his hands. Impossible to know really.
    I tend to usually just ask nicely if they'd mind doing something a bit different in order to make my life a little easier and usually they comply and are even thankful for the feedback sometimes.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    To be fair, playing a lot doesn't always equal skill. He could just have been bad at video games in general but had a lot of free time on his hands. Impossible to know really.
    I tend to usually just ask nicely if they'd mind doing something a bit different in order to make my life a little easier and usually they comply and are even thankful for the feedback sometimes.
    I hear you, but one would guess that leveling all healers to the cap would let you think like a healer. Same way I as a Ninja main only pull small groups and never kite them over half the dungeon because as a Ninja I always hated the tanks running away from Doton, kiting things till my huton ran out and gathering a group so large the aoe markers overlapped.

Guess its more about empathy than gameplay skills but still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Meanwhile, somewhere a tank is telling the tale of the awful pug where the healer couldn't keep up with his chain pulling.
    I don't doubt. I'm probably in the duty roulette horror story thread on the official forums. He never died, but I had to sprint a lot for that.

In no certain ranking order:

1) Homogenization - While this is also a good thing because it helps to make things more balanced, it is kind of a bummer that you don't have diversity. I loved Drk in FFXI and now if I want to play one, I have to be a tank.

2) Community - By far, the worst community of any MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot. The most unwelcoming, condescending, bullying and berating community I've experienced. I feel bad for all the new players I've seen get bombarded with absolutely unnecessary rude comments for nothing more than asking questions, trying to get their feet wet. I know some people have said it's a great community but many others have replied that the "this is a great community" evaporates once you leave town and reach level 15 and they're not wrong.

3) MSQ - While this too is also a good thing, it's loooooong. And skipping it would make me feel like I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff but if you're interested in what's really going on and you join in now, you've got a LOT of reading to do.

4) FATE Exp - I love these things but they're not as rewarding as they should be. I wish you could efficiently level up doing them. Right now, as others have said, deep dungeons are the most efficient. A person should be able to do whichever they really love doing without feeling like they're "doing it wrong."

However, there is one thing about this game over WoW that I love... that there are not so many streamers/sycophants. I can go days talking in FFXIV without hearing someone say "According to XxStreamerxX... the correct way to do it is..." Not trying to blanket hate on streamers but it seems so many have lost the ability to think for themselves without relying on what some pleb with a webcam thinks.
    Gonna be honest, I don't believe the community comment at all. SE is really strict about toxic people and I see nothing but helpful people on the Crystal data center. Your description of the community fits WoW, not FF XIV.

- - - Updated - - -

Recently, I was tanking on my Gunbreaker and got matched up with a healer who was DPSing and refusing to heal. After I died three times, I asked if they were going to heal me and they said "lol you're gunbreaker. you're fine." so I left. Dicks exist in every game but I come across them so infrequently in FF XIV that it's not really much of a problem. I've been playing since March and that was the first and only dick I got grouped with. Everyone else has been chill and helpful.

No problem, that's why we have dictionaries
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/toxic
    You are welcome sir
    Appreciate the link. So using your definition of extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful, that certainly helps paint a picture, but then I would argue that extremely harsh to me would have to be pretty vile, and malicious is super subjective.

• Is it malicious for my friends and I to remove a I only heal, healer without saying anything? Is that harmful? If so why?
    • Does us communicating impact that context? I.e. If I ask them if they can DPS and heal and they respond defensively, is it still malicious or harmful if we remove them?
    • What about if we communicate and they flat out ignore it and continue on? Is it still malicious or harmful to remove them?

While kicking someone from a group may not be a violation and get you banned, it doesn't mean it can't be toxic. If you want to go by the definition above, doing it maliciously fits the definition. So when a group of friends kick randoms for giggles, they're being toxic yet within the rules. It's a weird gray area.
    See my point above. Let me know your thoughts.

Yelling at someone is absolutely toxic, no matter how anyone tries to sweeten it up. Nobody deserves to be yelled at. If someone in a random group simply isn't playing good enough for you, initiate a kick. If it passes, you win. If not, suck it up and finish or leave. There is never a good reason to yell at somebody. If you get that frustrated, maybe the game isn't for you or maybe you need a break. Some people use games to vent their real life anger but need to understand not to take their bad day out on others... it's not their bad day.
    If I say "Come on man, don't run away with the stack marker! Is that extremely harsh, malicious or harmful? If so how? What if it's the third time we've wiped due to the same player doing the same thing? Does that change anything? All I see is a valid expression of frustration and I would completely understand if someone said it to me?

Do you think it's more "toxic" to remove someone without saying anything, or to say something (respectfully) and then remove them? Curious.

Ever browsed the official forums or subreddit (be honest...)? I see people doing that and getting bombarded with insults or comments like "you should just quit, you're worthless" and watching comments like that get a bunch of upvotes. I think MOST of the bad people in FFXIV are not saying these things in-game so they don't get banned. In my experience, the same goes with WoW too. I see no more or less rude people in either game.
    Well I'm banned from the OF so no not anymore, but I've browsed it and actively posted over a thousand posts (and that's with their stupid fucking limit of 10 a day and having to edit to bypass the stupid character limits) for over 6 years. I haven't been on the reddit in a while, but by all means, feel free to link some material for me to review.

Over 90% of the time when someone says they're carrying someone... they're not. They have a piece or two of better gear and want any reason to inflate their own ego.
    Alternatively:

Here's a sample 24 man I ran:

Then I said, I know for a fact that if I just spam Jolt or whatever the base RDM ability is I will do more damage:

In any of these snips, there were no deaths or egregiously offensive gear (i.e. cheating to bypass ilvl reqs). I want to make it clear this isn't a bragging thing, this is a WHAT the fuck are people doing thing. I can literally out damage them SOLO so no party stat buff, or raid buffs, while PRESSING a single button repeatedly...

To be fair though why didn't you follow the tank? Why were you also LoS? I'm curious what you were doing lol instead of following?
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2021-06-03 at 05:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Recently, I was tanking on my Gunbreaker and got matched up with a healer who was DPSing and refusing to heal. After I died three times, I asked if they were going to heal me and they said "lol you're gunbreaker. you're fine." so I left
    Huh, happened to me last week on a levelling dungeon

Is it because of Brutal Shell that people think that?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Huh, happened to me last week on a levelling dungeon

Is it because of Brutal Shell that people think that?
    I honestly have no idea. I think the healer only queued as healer because they could so they were likely someone who left WoW to play FF XIV. Because people do that in WoW CONSTANTLY.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Appreciate the link. So using your definition of extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful, that certainly helps paint a picture, but then I would argue that extremely harsh to me would have to be pretty vile, and malicious is super subjective.

• Is it malicious for my friends and I to remove a I only heal, healer without saying anything? Is that harmful? If so why?
    • Does us communicating impact that context? I.e. If I ask them if they can DPS and heal and they respond defensively, is it still malicious or harmful if we remove them?
    • What about if we communicate and they flat out ignore it and continue on? Is it still malicious or harmful to remove them?

See my point above. Let me know your thoughts.

If I say "Come on man, don't run away with the stack marker! Is that extremely harsh, malicious or harmful? If so how? What if it's the third time we've wiped due to the same player doing the same thing? Does that change anything? All I see is a valid expression of frustration and I would completely understand if someone said it to me?

Do you think it's more "toxic" to remove someone without saying anything, or to say something (respectfully) and then remove them? Curious.

Well I'm banned from the OF so no not anymore, but I've browsed it and actively posted over a thousand posts (and that's with their stupid fucking limit of 10 a day and having to edit to bypass the stupid character limits) for over 6 years. I haven't been on the reddit in a while, but by all means, feel free to link some material for me to review.

Alternatively:

Here's a sample 24 man I ran:

Then I said, I know for a fact that if I just spam Jolt or whatever the base RDM ability is I will do more damage:

In any of these snips, there were no deaths or egregiously offensive gear (i.e. cheating to bypass ilvl reqs). I want to make it clear this isn't a bragging thing, this is a WHAT the fuck are people doing thing. I can literally out damage them SOLO so no party stat buff, or raid buffs, while PRESSING a single button repeatedly...

To be fair though why didn't you follow the tank? Why were you also LoS? I'm curious what you were doing lol instead of following?
    People don't get banned from the OF unless they are pretty toxic. Based on your comments and how you phrase things, I'd say you come as a really toxic and elitist player.

Recently, I was tanking on my Gunbreaker and got matched up with a healer who was DPSing and refusing to heal. After I died three times, I asked if they were going to heal me and they said "lol you're gunbreaker. you're fine." so I left. Dicks exist in every game but I come across them so infrequently in FF XIV that it's not really much of a problem. I've been playing since March and that was the first and only dick I got grouped with. Everyone else has been chill and helpful.
    I've played since 2016 and I've encountered two. In WoW I've probably encountered 1000 in the same period.

I've played since 2016 and I've encountered two. In WoW I've probably encountered 1000 in the same period.
    I honestly can't even count how many I've encountered in WoW when I started playing in Wrath. So many people queue as heals or tank but then just dps. You can't officially do that in FFXIV because when you queue, you have to stay in your class. So not only are people dpsing in a heal/tank class, they're doing it terribly typically.

Gonna be honest, I don't believe the community comment at all. SE is really strict about toxic people and I see nothing but helpful people on the Crystal data center. Your description of the community fits WoW, not FF XIV.
    Are you being sarcastic?

1) No it isn't. It's your decision on them not being good enough for your group. Even if they are good enough, majority rules. However, if you add in harassing or berating type comments then yes it is harmful.

2) It depends on the context of what you communicate. Asking someone if they'll do something is fine. They may or they may not. Sometimes people are defensive because they don't want unsolicited advice or comments. They may be in their own comfort zone and not want to. They're not breaking any rules other than not playing to your standard. That said, again, if majority rules, they can be removed.

3) Just like 2, it depends on the context. Asking if they can DPS too is perfectly fine. If they do not respond and the vote is successful, it's fine. Some people are not going to respond. I play on PS5 with a controller and replying to stuff on the fly can be quite cumbersome. I can enter comments quickly (in my opinion) yet its still waaaay slower than a keyboard.

I can see someone seeing "come on man" as offensive. Is it honestly necessary? "Don't run away with the stack marker" is direct, to the point and does not add small implications that someone is incompetent. Maybe English isn't their first language? No need to say unnecessary things. If it gets to a point where you've had it, initiate a vote.

Removing without saying anything or saying something respectfully are fine, nobody will disagree with that. However, it can be subjective because I've lost count in my years in MMOs where someone said something like "git gud scrub" or "wtf noob" but SWORE they were "only trying to help." Toxic are (as I've gotten at) all the unnecessary comments people make. They know they're doing it yet many pretend like they don't because they don't want to hold themselves accountable for their inability to maintain their composure.

I'm sorry you were banned. Their moderators are something to be desired. Then again, I have over 25 years of moderation experience and I've not seen a forum moderated properly in over a decade.

Just skimming sub comments in the mega question thread, you'll find people berated all the time. On occasion, I go in there to help newcomers by answering questions and probably a dozen times in the past couple years, I've messaged a user apologizing for how they were treated.

I specifically mentioned when someone says they are but are not. I've seen PLENTY of it in my years in MMOs. People insisting they were the sole reason something was cleared when the content would have been cleared whether they were there or not.

Do carries happen? Sure they do. And sometimes, there is a very logical explanation. In your case, we only have your side.

That...... sounds like how he should be pulling? dungeons these days in xiv are literally
    -everyone pops sprint
    -tank pulls everything
    -aoe down

doesnt matter if he LOSes you in the process as he wouldnt be getting hit while sprinting anyway

Removing without saying anything or saying something respectfully are fine, nobody will disagree with that. However, it can be subjective because I've lost count in my years in MMOs where someone said something like "git gud scrub" or "wtf noob" but SWORE they were "only trying to help." Toxic are (as I've gotten at) all the unnecessary comments people make. They know they're doing it yet many pretend like they don't because they don't want to hold themselves accountable for their inability to maintain their composure.
    This is pretty spot on. If you can't complain or offer feedback without insulting people or losing your shit it's better to just be quiet.
    I'll say though that WoW players seem to have less patience than your average MMORPG player, they can be very trigger happy at the slightest setback.
    In FFXIV I see all the time groups failing because of a single player, everyone else helping them out in order to get through the content and congratulating each other after successfully getting through the instance. The first year coming over from WoW I was genuinely surprised each time it happened, now it's the norm.

This is pretty spot on. If you can't complain or offer feedback without insulting people or losing your shit it's better to just be quiet.
    I'll say though that WoW players seem to have less patience than your average MMORPG player, they can be very trigger happy at the slightest setback.
    In FFXIV I see all the time groups failing because of a single player, everyone else helping them out in order to get through the content and congratulating each other after successfully getting through the instance. The first year coming over from WoW I was genuinely surprised each time it happened, now it's the norm.
    My experiences exactly. I've told people that it was my first time tanking a dungeon in FFXIV and typically always get comments like "It's cool. Just take your time. It's not a race " Whereas in WoW, if you say you're tanking for the first time, you're getting kicked 9 times out of 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you being sarcastic?

1) No it isn't. It's your decision on them not being good enough for your group. Even if they are good enough, majority rules. However, if you add in harassing or berating type comments then yes it is harmful.

2) It depends on the context of what you communicate. Asking someone if they'll do something is fine. They may or they may not. Sometimes people are defensive because they don't want unsolicited advice or comments. They may be in their own comfort zone and not want to. They're not breaking any rules other than not playing to your standard. That said, again, if majority rules, they can be removed.

3) Just like 2, it depends on the context. Asking if they can DPS too is perfectly fine. If they do not respond and the vote is successful, it's fine. Some people are not going to respond. I play on PS5 with a controller and replying to stuff on the fly can be quite cumbersome. I can enter comments quickly (in my opinion) yet its still waaaay slower than a keyboard.

I can see someone seeing "come on man" as offensive. Is it honestly necessary? "Don't run away with the stack marker" is direct, to the point and does not add small implications that someone is incompetent. Maybe English isn't their first language? No need to say unnecessary things. If it gets to a point where you've had it, initiate a vote.

I'm sorry you were banned. Their moderators are something to be desired. Then again, I have over 25 years of moderation experience and I've not seen a forum moderated properly in over a decade.

Just skimming sub comments in the mega question thread, you'll find people berated all the time. On occasion, I go in there to help newcomers by answering questions and probably a dozen times in the past couple years, I've messaged a user apologizing for how they were treated.

I specifically mentioned when someone says they are but are not. I've seen PLENTY of it in my years in MMOs. People insisting they were the sole reason something was cleared when the content would have been cleared whether they were there or not.

Do carries happen? Sure they do. And sometimes, there is a very logical explanation. In your case, we only have your side.
    No, I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. Square Enix is VERY strict about their harassment rules and will ban people who are being assholes. Meanwhile, in WoW, it's practically encouraged and GMs rarely ever do anything about harassment.

Seems the consensus feels this is worse in FFXIV.
    What consensus? You spouting some anecdotal evidence based on "this dude i saw on reddit didn't like the community" is not really making the point you think it does.

For instance, the only thing i've ever heard of the FFXIV community is that it is extremely nice compared to other MMORPG communties. This also holds true with my own finding from playing the game on and off since the launch of the original trash-version of FFXIV.
    Me saying any of this doesn't really carry that much weight here now does it? I have nothing to back it up aside from "what I've heard/seen".

If you've had bad experiences then that is unfortunate.

3+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Same here kinda. There are dicks for sure, but I rarely meet them. Guess others have worse luck.

Uhmmm....helping the other half of the party? I can't run, heal and apply dots at the same time. And even if I'm too slow. I'm fairly certain as a party leader you have to adjust to the party speed. As a tank I NEVER pull unless I have everyone behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    That...... sounds like how he should be pulling? dungeons these days in xiv are literally
    -everyone pops sprint
    -tank pulls everything
    -aoe down

doesnt matter if he LOSes you in the process as he wouldnt be getting hit while sprinting anyway
    Oh trust me he did get hit. A lot. Thre were times when he was down to half health by the time I caught up. And I wasn't asleep. I think I'm quite good at keeping people alive during leveling content, but that guy didn't make it easy. I'm a pretty bad tank though. Or at least consider myself a bad tank.

Same here kinda. There are dicks for sure, but I rarely meet them. Guess others have worse luck.

Uhmmm....helping the other half of the party? I can't run, heal and apply dots at the same time. And even if I'm too slow. I'm fairly certain as a party leader you have to adjust to the party speed. As a tank I NEVER pull unless I have everyone behind me.

Oh trust me he did get hit. A lot. Thre were times when he was down to half health by the time I caught up. And I wasn't asleep. I think I'm quite good at keeping people alive during leveling content, but that guy didn't make it easy. I'm a pretty bad tank though. Or at least consider myself a bad tank.
    I notice most of the people trying to say FFXIV is bad are using examples of stuff that happens constantly in WoW rather than examples that happen frequently in FF. As a tank, the only group I've come across that was terrible was the one example I gave. Otherwise, people are pretty reasonable.

No, I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. Square Enix is VERY strict about their harassment rules and will ban people who are being assholes. Meanwhile, in WoW, it's practically encouraged and GMs rarely ever do anything about harassment.
    Inside the game is one thing however, the community is not just the voices you see/do not see inside the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    What consensus? You spouting some anecdotal evidence based on "this dude i saw on reddit didn't like the community" is not really making the point you think it does.
    Please don't be superfluous.

Inside the game is one thing however, the community is not just the voices you see/do not see inside the game.

Please don't be superfluous.
    Even on the official forums, there's really no many examples at all of what you're implying. Also, you used the word superfluous but I'm not sure it means what you think it means. Lindon was 100% on point. You are acting like your anecdotal evidence is somehow the universal fact about the community.

Even on the official forums, there's really no many examples at all of what you're implying. Also, you used the word superfluous but I'm not sure it means what you think it means. Lindon was 100% on point. You are acting like your anecdotal evidence is somehow the universal fact about the community.
    You must not go there as often as I do. I'm sure you'll say you go there often.

Lindon was pontificating. And yes, I know what that word means. Nowhere did I say "it's universal fact."

I just started playing about a week ago. I have tried two previous times to get into the game and it didn't click. I feel like I'm having a better time of it this go around though.

My two things:

1) The UI. It's really, really difficult to work with. It looks terrible, has very limited customizability and feels like little thought was put into the functionality. You can work around it, but it requires a lot of mental compromise to do so. This really could use an overhaul, or at the very least give people the tools to make addons even if it's only UI related.

2) The learning curve. The game actually does a pretty good job of walking you through things and teaching you how things go, but a lot of stuff is very different from other MMOs. It's not a bad thing, per se, but you almost have to unlearn things from other games in order to make sense of this one. And while the game tells you what is possible, it doesn't always tell you how/what/why of individual things.

BONUS ITEM: The lack of voice overs. You get spoken dialog at really random intervals, and it's pretty rare. It makes a lot of the quests feel unimportant, even when they actually are. Having more voicework in the game would really add to the overall experience when leveling and getting to know the game world and the characters in it.