Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just discovered Bioware hasn't fixed the bug in ME3 where you lose all your credits if you die during an autosave, Well that's 40 minutes of gameplay down the drain there for the sake of not losing 90000 credits

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    I'm really bad at FPS style gameplay (I'm on the PS4), but I really want to enjoy this game. Any tips to improve my combat? I picked soldier so I could tank my way through the game, but is their a class that would be better suited for a less...shooty play style?
    Pick an Adept, pick up some good bonus ability (Flare is hilarious both on its own and as a vast-area biotic trigger though acquiring it is a bit of a pain, though there's plenty of easier to get good stuff to make you less of a glass cannon that's also quite good, think of Reave), have a biotic or hybrid biotic/tech at all times, blow everything to bits or out of the way (and to hilarious deadly falls). Occasionally finish something off with the single-shot heavy pistol or some good SMG, but mostly not even needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

I'm really bad at FPS style gameplay (I'm on the PS4), but I really want to enjoy this game. Any tips to improve my combat? I picked soldier so I could tank my way through the game, but is their a class that would be better suited for a less...shooty play style?
    Being heavy handed with the pause button may help if you're not already. It's not perfect for aiming but it helps a little, and it lets you come up with a decent plan. Also gives you time to find good positions for the rest of the squad, in 1 they seem to wander the battlefield like lost children.

I'd take a power focused class instead of Soldier. In ME1 Adept can be tough with Barrier one, and your crowd controlling powers means you often only have to lift stuff and your squaddies do half the killing for you. Use the pause function to assess the situation as needed too.

If you want to be tanky in ME2 and 3, Vanguard is where it's at. Charge, well, charges you at point blank range where you can't miss, replenishes shields, and you can make its cooldown close to insignificant. A necessity on higher difficulties where you die very quickly when out of cover, but on lower ones it basically makes you unkillable.

ME3 also has a Narrative difficulty that basically makes combat a non-issue, I think it quadruples your damage and reduces the damage you take by the same amount or something. You can almost literally walk around and melee everything to death.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Soldier is pretty tanky, OP and pretty newbie friendly, but it's a heavy shooty playstyle. Alternatives that are really strong, is in the first game, pick Adept with Wrex and either Tali or Garris, whichever of the latter you choose, dump points into decryption and electronics to at least third triangle so you can hack everything in the game. In fact this should probably be your combo of companions imo regardless of your class for first run since it's that's pretty OP combo there. In second and third game drop adept class, trust me, you will not know what the hell you are doing with adept in second game, and go Infiltrater class(don't worry you can do that with the import character.) With the 2nd and 3rd game they went all in on the shooty playstyle, but Infiltrater is Arthas' horse.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-06-05 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks for the newbie tips everyone. They're a big help.

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Soldier is pretty tanky, OP and pretty newbie friendly, but it's a heavy shooty playstyle. Alternatives that are really strong, is in the first game, pick Adept with Wrex and either Tali or Garris, whichever of the latter you choose, dump points into decryption and electronics to at least third triangle so you can hack everything in the game. In fact this should probably be your combo of companions imo regardless of your class for first run since it's that's pretty OP combo there. In second and third game drop adept class, trust me, you will not know what the hell you are doing with adept in second game, and go Infiltrater class(don't worry you can do that with the import character.) With the 2nd and 3rd game they went all in on the shooty playstyle, but Infiltrater is Arthas' horse.
    Adept is insanely powerful in ME3. Just pick Garrus/EDI/Kaidan to burn down enemy shields and you're gucci.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

Adept is insanely powerful in ME3. Just pick Garrus/EDI/Kaidan to burn down enemy shields and you're gucci.
    I never said anything about adept not being powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to drop adept for either of the later two games for someone describing themselves as "being bad at shooters". Enemies in ME2 only really starts to seriously pack defensive layers like shields/armour/barriers in ME2 on the two highest difficulty settings, and for ME3 that class is so powerful when you have squad synergy like bringing Liara along that you can beat it on insanity mode with barely firing your guns at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    There's no reason to drop adept for either of the later two games for someone describing themselves as "being bad at shooters". Enemies in ME2 only really starts to seriously pack defensive layers like shields/armour/barriers in ME2 on the two highest difficulty settings, and for ME3 that class is so powerful when you have squad synergy like bringing Liara along that you can beat it on insanity mode with barely firing your guns at all.
    If you don't want him to have fun, sure advocate him to keep playing adept in ME2 after that 30 hours of adept in ME1. He'll prolly quit before ME3 makes him OP again when he's weaving those sweet combo's.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-06-06 at 03:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't want him to have fun, sure advocate him to keep playing adept in ME2 after that 30 hours of adept in ME1.
    Aka you have no idea what you're talking about.

Adept in the later two games is a completely different class from what it was in ME1, and has no bearing on what it's like to play one there.

Aka you have no idea what you're talking about.

Adept in the later two games is a completely different class from what it was in ME1, and has no bearing on what it's like to play one there.
    AKA that's exactly why he shouldn't play adept all the way through. Adept becomes all about team mate micro management, not fun for someone new to the series. Suggesting Adept to a new player for ME2 is like Suggesting Engineer to a newbie for ME1.

I switched from Infiltrator in ME1 (sniper rifle, decrypt and electronics myself so any companion is fine) to adept in ME2, since Shockwave and Singularity are among the best powers even in higher difficulties. Sure, the gun choices suck (in the beginning), but the horde/battlefield control is awesome.
    Did you know that placing a singularity at the spot where Husks spawn/crawl up from below insta-kills them?

For ME3 i usually switch to engineer for all those little helpers, suddenly there is not 3 but 5 of us. Bring Tali and then it's even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    AKA that's exactly why he shouldn't play adept all the way through. Adept becomes all about team mate micro management, not fun for someone new to the series.
    Again, enemies in ME2 do not come with a significant amount of defences on any difficulty a newer player is likely to be on.

You're portraying the class as being far weaker and more obnoxious to play than it actually is in ME2 on around normal/veteran. Singularity instantly kills husks when they don't have armour as a baseline, and shields and armour not being as ubiquitous means you don't need to strip defences as frequently to use pull/singularity/push on a lot of regular enemies.

Suggesting Adept to a new player for ME2 is like Suggesting Engineer to a newbie for ME1.
    Yet more advice that's off. Engineer in ME1 isn't anywhere near as weak as it once was with the changes to gun skills in MELE making sniper rifles/shotguns/assault rifles actually usable on it, and it has native access to both electronics and decryption for unlocking crates and salvage on Shepard himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd take a power focused class instead of Soldier. In ME1 Adept can be tough with Barrier one, and your crowd controlling powers means you often only have to lift stuff and your squaddies do half the killing for you. Use the pause function to assess the situation as needed too.

If you want to be tanky in ME2 and 3, Vanguard is where it's at. Charge, well, charges you at point blank range where you can't miss, replenishes shields, and you can make its cooldown close to insignificant. A necessity on higher difficulties where you die very quickly when out of cover, but on lower ones it basically makes you unkillable.

ME3 also has a Narrative difficulty that basically makes combat a non-issue, I think it quadruples your damage and reduces the damage you take by the same amount or something. You can almost literally walk around and melee everything to death.
    Seconding this. Adept for ME1 Vanguard for ME2 and ME3. Nothing comes close to the fun factor of charge. Nothing. And as you said, unkillable at lower level difficulties, which is what bro is gonna play at, normal I suppose, so yeah charge!

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk it is just me, but in ME1 both infiltrators and vanguard were poor designed. It was changed in ME2 where vanguard got finally some powers like shockwave or something, and infiltrator had tactical cloak, which was highly missed by me in ME1.

Also... Good news anyone! After 14 years of ME1 release and month of ME:LE Bioware will finally adress voice change option! Yep you will no longer be forced using mods for ME1 and ME2 to change from your language! And this is welcome change by me, because polish ME2 voice acting sucks...

https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect...alization-fix/

Again, enemies in ME2 do not come with a significant amount of defences on any difficulty a newer player is likely to be on.

You're portraying the class as being far weaker and more obnoxious to play than it actually is in ME2 on around normal/veteran. Singularity instantly kills husks when they don't have armour as a baseline, and shields and armour not being as ubiquitous means you don't need to strip defences as frequently to use pull/singularity/push on a lot of regular enemies.

Yet more advice that's off. Engineer in ME1 isn't anywhere near as weak as it once was with the changes to gun skills in MELE making sniper rifles/shotguns/assault rifles actually usable on it, and it has native access to both electronics and decryption for unlocking crates and salvage on Shepard himself.
    No. I am not portraying the class as being far weaker and more obnoxious to play. I don't think it is at all, however, I've played the series multiple times. Im putting my feet in the shoes of someone who is fresh running through this, completely blind after playing Adept in ME1, and then coming to ME2, with all the changes made, than at that point, yeah I would find it far weaker and more obnoxious, at which point, Since I'm gonna have to learn a new complete new playstyle anyways, i'm gonna choose one that I feel is stronger from beginning to end.

And even with the changes I still wouldn't recommend engineer to a newbie for ME1, at all, even if they are powerful in ME2 and ME3

Actually I agree with above, just go Vanguard and not my recommendation of Infiltrator, in ME2 and 3, don't even need to worry about companions on lower levels with that one, just pick who ever you want, you'll win the game easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by crejack View Post
    Seconding this. Adept for ME1 Vanguard for ME2 and ME3. Nothing comes close to the fun factor of charge. Nothing. And as you said, unkillable at lower level difficulties, which is what bro is gonna play at, normal I suppose, so yeah charge!
    Charge into Eviscerator/Claymore to the face is one of the most satisfying moves in any game I've played. Literally never gets old.

That said, ME3 is making me slightly debate going Soldier due to all the fun and varied weaponry in that game. You can take some of it as Vanguard as well, but packing a Typhoon, Black Widow, Paladin AND Claymore as Soldier is very feasible. Sentinel is also an underrated weapon class in 3, using Tech Armor and Barrier/Fortification gives you absolutely insane DR and your cooldown times are scuffed anyway that you might as well pack as much heat as you can.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m finding engineer - never played one before - to be a fun class to run. It’s awesome to pop a drone and then hack a mech and cause glorious chaos. I win half my fights without a bullet fired (by me).

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Charge into Eviscerator/Claymore to the face is one of the most satisfying moves in any game I've played. Literally never gets old.

That said, ME3 is making me slightly debate going Soldier due to all the fun and varied weaponry in that game. You can take some of it as Vanguard as well, but packing a Typhoon, Black Widow, Paladin AND Claymore as Soldier is very feasible. Sentinel is also an underrated weapon class in 3, using Tech Armor and Barrier/Fortification gives you absolutely insane DR and your cooldown times are scuffed anyway that you might as well pack as much heat as you can.
    Just finished ME3 as Soldier, and it was mostly a Vindicator run. That gun strikes way too good balance between accuracy, damage and weight.