Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How can 9.1 be exciting if everything is/will be known beforehand.

Hello,

I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get where you're coming from. Unfortunately... given the age in which we live, it just comes with the territory.

Personally, I bank my excitement in hoping the story and features coming our way are good/fun/exciting enough to keep my level of excitement. As it stands for 9.1... that's a big nope for lore/story and game play features.

I wish they would find a way to get rid of leaks and patch Information beforehand and even swear the beta testers to silence with a permaban should they break it. The game would be better

That said, the problem with 9.1 is twofold... one it isn’t that impressive. Just a generic patch, and considering the wait and build up for 9.1... it needed to be 9.1, 7,2, 6.2, and more all in one patch. This wait.. for that patch?! A week after it hits we’ll hear chatter about 9.2 being the savior that 9.1 was meant to be

It should be substantially larger but many times the size

This is just lazy and incompetence on the devs which is fitting because this dev team hasn’t had one success since taking over after legion

Yes I am. I don't read the spoilers.

I think for many people, the lore has taken a backseat (which is unfortunate) and gameplay is first, so they're more anxious to try out new systems. IMO it's quite simple to avoid spoilers if you're truly interested by the story, although it may come at the cost a viewing website such as MMO or wowhead

Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?
    no offense, but this is on you, its not up people to hold all information bcs someone might not want to know them, its up to you to avoid spoilers if you wish so...
    so far i know pretty much nothing about story of 9.1 so its definitely possible...

This has been the case for every patch ever since I remember. I get excited because I will be able to play the new content. I don't need it to be a surprise.

Also, wow really isn't a narrative based game and most people don't play it for surprising narrative/lore moments so it's not that important not to be spoiled. If they do, I imagine it's quite easy to avoid spoilers btw. I haven't read anything about the incoming lore in 9.1 personally (because I don't care). The same should be possible for people who want to see the story unveil in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I wish they would find a way to get rid of leaks and patch Information beforehand and even swear the beta testers to silence with a permaban should they break it. The game would be better

That said, the problem with 9.1 is twofold... one it isn’t that impressive. Just a generic patch, and considering the wait and build up for 9.1... it needed to be 9.1, 7,2, 6.2, and more all in one patch. This wait.. for that patch?! A week after it hits we’ll hear chatter about 9.2 being the savior that 9.1 was meant to be

It should be substantially larger but many times the size

This is just lazy and incompetence on the devs which is fitting because this dev team hasn’t had one success since taking over after legion
    There are no "beta testers" that could be slapped with an NDA. PTR is literally available to anyone who has a subscription to the game. If it was some kind of elite club that is hard to get in, that is also restricted by countless secrecy rules, no one would even want to test that stuff, as the most important reason for doing it in the first place is to show it to people as content on youtube/twitch etc.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

There are two options.

1st one, they make the content, dont put it on PTR and we have to fight through bugs on live servers.

2nd one, we play the PTR, report bugs, play live servers without bigger bugs but suffer the spoilers.

Pick one. First one never worked... sadly. Blizz doesn't have the capacity to test the game like thousands of players on PTR do...

10+ Year Old Account
    Until they hire back a comprehensive QA department, we'll always know about what's to come through PTR information sadly. We the playerbase replaced their QA department by participating in their PTR tests. Since they have been cutting back departments, it'll always be this way sadly.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    PTR is not Beta. It's shorter and interest is lower. It's very easy to avoid any spoilers. And most important things are hidden behind cinematics anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Until they hire back a comprehensive QA department, we'll always know about what's to come through PTR information sadly. We the playerbase replaced their QA department by participating in their PTR tests. Since they have been cutting back departments, it'll always be this way sadly.
    Oh yeah, good old times with comprehensive QA department when WoW content just came out without PTR or Beta.

Yup welcome to the digital age, but this is only site I look at for wow and least the front page states it has spoilers so I don't read or look at it.

Plenty of people are surprised by there even being a patch, so clearly a lot of people can stay away from the spoilers and simply play the game as it evolves.

I prefer knowing what I'm headed into instead of running around like a headless chicken.

U kno u don't HAVE to read the spoilers / datamined stuffs rite? Just makin sure.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.
    Sadly, that is the creation of the game community, data-mining.

Only way to avoid that is to not follow or read anything from gaming sites such as Wowhead, or MMO-champion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I think this will be the first time in ages were I barely know anything about the patch, simply because I'm so no interested in it (a fugly ass rock floating in the maw..). Maybe that will enhance my experience .
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

In the past it worked because knowing the content and experiencing the content was two completely different things. Two things changed this. The first was "seasons", you don't have to go through the content because you're playing the patch, not the expansion. The second was a bigger focus on story and narrative, PTR kinda ruins that.
    Today you can essentially experience the game through YouTube since you don't really have a character to become attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    See above: It is to me also about on a personal level evading / reading info on what has been datamined. I made it work for myself.
    I also avoid everything... even social media of wowhead and similar sites with spoiler posts. They write spoiler in the title but but title already says everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, that is the creation of the game community, data-mining.

Only way to avoid that is to not follow or read anything from gaming sites such as Wowhead, or MMO-champion.
    Blizzard can and do encrypt portion of the data to prevent datamining. They just dont do it for everything.
    I personally enjoy playing the content and experiencing it. I also dont read spoilers but mostly cuz it doesn't interest me reading about it.

Was thinking the same thing.
    PTR/Beta/Books kinda ruin the mystery of it all. I can't say i'm not intrigued by datamined stuff, but overall it puts it in a stale state very fast.

I stopped reading most of the detailed info about expacs and patches since probably Legion, so that is where my "excitement" comes from, going in pretty blind.