Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question How Bad is the Tank shortage on your Realm?

Or is your realm even suffering?

This happened back in the day, I'm aware of that. Since we are experiencing TBC again of course we would be experiencing tank shortages again as well. How are you guys holding up on your servers with it?

Are you even experiencing it? Are you just doing guild group content? How are you trying to deal with it?

I'm on Bigglesworth (PvP) and it's high population with a larger Horde population... and the LFG channel is flooded with groups looking for tanks. Literally all day every day. I tried to make a short video/gif of not only the LFG channel but the ClassicLFG addon to showcase this. Back in TBC and WotLK I tanked on my Druid and Death Knight, so a part of me is kicking myself in the ass for not using my level 58 boost on a tanking class.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-06-06 at 01:05 PM.

There will always be a tank shortage most players know guilds will slready have thier tanks lined up for raids so majority will roll dps so at 70 they have a spot. Ironicly im saying this guildless as a prot pally and yes lfg on whitemane constantly needs tank or healers all day

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
    foxxy is basically no longer a fox - more like a badger this game

The tank shortages of classic and tbc will remain, because they are by far, the hardest role in the game due to threat

In retail, anyone can tank because threat is a non factor but in the vanilla-tbc days (they neutered threat in wotlk) you had to not only be good at surviving as a tank, but holding enough threat your dps classes could go wild. If it was easy, everyone would do it

Warrior tanks, in particular, are more of a juggling act in dungeons than anything else

I’m on Mankrik and it’s pretty bad. Takes an average of an hour to get a full group and it’s either can’t find a tank but have healers, or the alternate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are Paladin tanks fine for dungeons and whatnot in tbc?
    Hi

... Huh, might just skip the Mage, abandon my Hunter and boost a tank once I start playing in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    ... Huh, might just skip the Mage, abandon my Hunter and boost a tank once I start playing in a month or so.
    that'd be the way to go TBH. Tanks are in such short supply in TBC that if you play one, you can literally get groups at whim by snapping your fingers or even just logging in and get flooded with invites.

In a month everyone will be leveling alts and tanks will be in even shorter supply, so... you'll have a very convenient time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Yes, Paladin tanks are best tanks in the game for AOE pulls and 5 mans. The warrior is too much of a juggling act for most gamers to properly pull off, and the druid can't quite hold AOE aggro like a paladin (although they are great too in TBC, don't underestimate the bear tank)

For 5 man's.... Paladin > Druid > Warrior
    for raid bosses Warrior > Druid > Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    They are best for instances but behind warriors and druids in most of the raid encounters.

We'd have more tanks if:

1. People waited more than a single GCD to use Flamestrike+dragons breath+blizzard
    Or
    2. People didn't complain if they are not running a threat meter and pull threat on targets the tank hasn't had enough GCDs to hit yet.
    Or
    3. Healers didn't blame a tank and instead told DPS to chill if the tank is successfully keeping threat for not having 100% IE shield block or demoshout uptime when the DPS is forcing the tank to never be able to because they refuse to wait even two or three GCDs before they start AoE nuking or attack the secondary, non-skull marked targets right in the first GCD.
    Or
    4. Melee dps didn't attack targets from the front and parry haste mobs or bosses and then cry when the tank dies because they buffed the boss's attack speed by 50%.

Tanking is unpopular in large part because tanks are treated poorly by groups and blamed for DPS doing stuff like earthshocking a target at pull time and being upset they got a white swing, or using and immediately having MC break and then running from the mob and the tank 40 yards away while saying the tank needs to get threat off of them.

Also dual spec would help.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2021-06-06 at 02:13 PM.

Is warrior still dogshit boring in TBC?
    Been prot warrior since wotlk up to shadowlands where i rerolled pala tank.

Tried classic when it came out but just couldn't stand playing prot, so rerolled dps warr. But then i realized how utter shit classic was in terms of pretty much everything and quit shortly after.
    Can't even remember what I hated so much but did anything change for the better?

I have no problem so far finding tanks.

I play a resto shaman and finding a tank takes no longer than 5 minutes or so

I think the hardest part about being a tank is that you have to take initiative, and players usually don't like taking the initiative because it implies a good amount of knowledge of the dungeon

However IMO playing a tank is not hard at all in classic... If you want to chain pull everything and do dungeons Mythic+ style of course is gonna be hard... but taking your time with every pull? Not difficult at all.

As a healer I find healing more stressful tbh.
    Last edited by RobertoLarcos; 2021-06-06 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post

Tried classic when it came out but just couldn't stand playing prot, so rerolled dps warr. But then i realized how utter shit classic was in terms of pretty much everything and quit shortly after.
    Can't even remember what I hated so much but did anything change for the better?
    It's literally the same rotation as wotlk except your shield slam doesn't reset CD occasionally? And mitigation is more active than wotlk with the 40 second talented cooldown on shield block wotlk had. Thats cute tho using this thread for a completely unrelated topic just because you want to shit on classic.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2021-06-06 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post

If you're gonna play warrior in TBC, it better be prot. Prot warriors have the highest seat at the table when it comes to raid bosses, they are the best at raid tanking.

That said, DPS warrior isn't what it was in classic for multiple reasons, but we won't be seeing a flood of dps warriors like classic

You can do your part in the cause and roll a tank!
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    It's literally the same rotation as wotlk except your shield slam doesn't reset CD occasionally? And mitigation is more active than wotlk with the 40 second talented cooldown on shield block wotlk had. Thats cute tho using this thread for a completely unrelated topic just because you want to shit on classic.
    I don't think literally means what you think it means, actually i'm 100% confident you have no idea.
    I'm to lazy to write a full essay of why you are wrong but maybe, just maybe, take a look at classic talent tree vs wotlk talent tree.... And maybe it will give you a hint how it was quite a lot different....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If you're gonna play warrior in TBC, it better be prot. Prot warriors have the highest seat at the table when it comes to raid bosses, they are the best at raid tanking.

That said, DPS warrior isn't what it was in classic for multiple reasons, but we won't be seeing a flood of dps warriors like classic
    yeah, all the bad Fury Warriors boosted Hunters and Warlocks because "ERMERGERD LOOK AT MY DEEPS"

ON topic, I Can say "Prot Paladin Looking for *instance*" and i get an invite quick. I get to say stuff like "Looking for Shaman for Slave Pens" and can usually pull a Resto out of there, then stack Melee for sweet sweet Win Furry killing.

US-Pagle has a lot of "LOOKING FOR TANK" spam, what i never understood is why people are always like "LOOKING FOR TANK FOR MAIN TANK" or "NEED HEALER FOR MAIN TANK"

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not everyone can mentally handle being a tank. Sure Prot Paladin is "lolconsecrate" but if DPS can't give you a few seconds for it to tick and go HAM right off the bat with AOE, they gonna die. then you get called a bad tank for (A) not stacking enough threat and/or (B) letting your boosted andy mage die
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

What tank shortage? Everyone and their mother is leveling their protection paladins for future gold making. On top of that lots of beartanks getting ready for raids and the odd prot warrior. Right now seems like a great time to spam dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygg View Post
    What tank shortage? Everyone and their mother is leveling their protection paladins for future gold making. On top of that lots of beartanks getting ready for raids and the odd prot warrior. Right now seems like a great time to spam dungeons.
    The actual tank shortage people are experiencing when trying to form groups as opposed to the theoretical “there must be lots of paladins”.

Tanking for pugs sucks. Either difficult healers or inattentive DPS. I’ve noticed a heavy retail mindset where people think mobs just stick to tanks. That’s super annoying and I don’t blame any tank for just hand-picking a group and staying out of LFG.

Not sure, but if anyone on Mograin Horde want's a pocket pally tank, boost me for free and I'l be your bitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    that'd be the way to go TBH. Tanks are in such short supply in TBC that if you play one, you can literally get groups at whim by snapping your fingers or even just logging in and get flooded with invites.

In a month everyone will be leveling alts and tanks will be in even shorter supply, so... you'll have a very convenient time

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Paladin tanks are best tanks in the game for AOE pulls and 5 mans. The warrior is too much of a juggling act for most gamers to properly pull off, and the druid can't quite hold AOE aggro like a paladin (although they are great too in TBC, don't underestimate the bear tank)

For 5 man's.... Paladin > Druid > Warrior
    for raid bosses Warrior > Druid > Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    They are best for instances but behind warriors and druids in most of the raid encounters.
    Ah, fair enough. I seem to remember Paladin tanks being used mainly in Hyjal Summit for trash there in raids, but not much else.
    I suppose the AoE taunt paladins had was added later, perhaps in Wrath? Can't remember the name, but you used it on someone and it taunted stuff around that mob/player.

I'm considering playing classic but I feel that if I go warrior then I'm hardstuck tank, as a paladin I can also heal, which I enjoyed a lot in Wrath, at least.

I've got no interest what so ever in the min/maxing aspect of TBC, do you guys think it would be hard to find a bit more "chilled" groups for dungeons? Not the whole "wizard cleave" shit that was going on in classic, whatever that was.
    Hi