Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The liar is way worse because they're making shit up to try and make something sound bad which causes some people to miss out on good experiences.
    Good. I'll just leave that there.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    FF7 was fine. It's everything after 7 where it kinda leans into that aesthetic, and character design.

it goes a little past the art too, the dialogue in 13 for example was so painful you'd have to practically mute the TV every time a few characters in particular tried to speak.
    15 is the only one with a boyband group.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    What you call co-op competitive is why I am being pushed away from WoW. The days of working together to take down a powerful boss are gone, and the fan fare to go with it. Now, after a boss is defeated it’s just bullshit whining about their logs.
    Yeah my guild does this, and it's incredibly irritating. To be perfectly clear, I don't look at wow or any video game as some sort of vessel for self-improvement. I find that mentality to be really weird and off-putting. I actively try to avoid engaging in discussions with people who are part of that "git gud" BS culture shift. Reminds me too much of wannabe jocks swinging their dicks at each other in the locker room or w/e.

I'd say the changing landscape of gaming in general, coupled with the extreme difficulty curve wow has seen in recent years (Cata onward. Spine of Deathwing, anyone?) has contributed to this "swinging dick" crap so many people have adopted. I miss those old days of taking whoever you had and just seeing if you could kill bosses. My raid/guild leader doesn't even let us joke around on easy bosses. It's "focus up!" all the time, and I swear it's like that throughout much of the gaming sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Yeah my guild does this, and it's incredibly irritating. To be perfectly clear, I don't look at wow or any video game as some sort of vessel for self-improvement. I find that mentality to be really weird and off-putting. I actively try to avoid engaging in discussions with people who are part of that "git gud" BS culture shift. Reminds me too much of wannabe jocks swinging their dicks at each other in the locker room or w/e.

I'd say the changing landscape of gaming in general, coupled with the extreme difficulty curve wow has seen in recent years (Cata onward. Spine of Deathwing, anyone?) has contributed to this "swinging dick" crap so many people have adopted. I miss those old days of taking whoever you had and just seeing if you could kill bosses. My raid/guild leader doesn't even let us joke around on easy bosses. It's "focus up!" all the time, and I swear it's like that throughout much of the gaming sphere.
    Ugh I HATE raid leaders like that. I play video games to have fun not get scolded and treat it like it's a job I'm not getting paid for.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how you think FF7's cast is anywhere close to a boyband.
    Well, you know ehmmm. There are the three girls, three adults males, a talking cat/dog thing, a robot, and Cloud. Toootally a boy band.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    "Feminine" is a strange criticism, too. There's no shortage of "masculine" characters and options if that's what you're after. I'm not even entirely sure what this means, to be honest.
    The vast majority of FFXIV characters look feminine. The most "masculine" FF14 characters, like male Au Ra or Highlander men, pale in comparison to your usual western standard of "masculine". One of the common complaints of WoW players looking at FF14 is that there are no manly looking men in FF14 like WoW humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    For me the every single one of protagonists in FF series looks the same. Young, slender, no facial hair boy. And it is every single one. So FF14 is standard in that regard.
    The trailer WoL is probably the most masculine looking FF protagonist ever. Sadly you cannot quite replicate his look ingame, as his facial hair is not available.

How in the world is Barrett a "standard look"? If you want to talk about over-the-top character designs...

No wonder you think everything is "feminine" if Barrett is your "standard human".
    By American cultural standards, Barret looks pretty normal. The Arnold Schwarzenegger was considered the ideal male physique during the 80s and the 90s, and still somewhat persists today.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The vast majority of FFXIV characters look feminine. The most "masculine" FF14 characters, like male Au Ra or Highlander men, pale in comparison to your usual western standard of "masculine". One of the common complaints of WoW players looking at FF14 is that there are no manly looking men in FF14 like WoW humans.
    How is Raubahn not masculine?

5+ Year Old Account

By American cultural standards, Barret looks pretty normal. The Arnold Schwarzenegger was considered the ideal male physique during the 80s and the 90s, and still somewhat persists today.
    And therein lies the problem. If for them a bodybuilder turned actionhero's look from 40 years ago is the normal look, the problem is not with the game.

I think the main issue with masculinity in FF14 is less with the body and more with the face. The highlander being the most normal looking masculine option and 3 of the 4 face options look like they should have been left on the cutting room floor. Facial hair options are also a joke, but not much of a surprise considering the place of origin of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    How is Raubahn not masculine?
    Raubahn is the exception, not the rule. Look at the main cast of characters: With the exception of Raubahn, Hien, and maybe the WoL, every single character looks like he came out of an anime or Kingdom Hearts.

Im sorry, did you just said the last hope for a unified Ishgard its going to confront the Archbishop in what could mean imprisoment and/or dead? well thats terrible, but not so much as these wines here that arent being delivered, here, be a good errand boy and deliver them for me would you?

Edit: Also, this is like the 3rd or 4th time someone is threatening Tataru and its really getting on my nerves, leave best potato alone >:[
    Last edited by Leyre; 2021-06-11 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    Maybe we're just totally different people but I can't fathom not getting into a game because of the graphics not having good AA or anything like that.
    Was there a point to this post or did you just see an opportunity to feel self righteous?

It’s the motion and jagged edges (AA, especially with objects at a distance) that cause the game to lack fluidity that’s the issue for me. It looks and feels a bit rough.

In short, it makes me a bit dizzy and makes it difficult to feel immersed, which reduces the quality of the experience.

IE, I’d have a much easier time getting more into it if they just fixed the AA and added dx12.

If you look around it’s one of the top 3 complaints new people have about the game. Clearly it’s an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    To me, doing anything else would be fucking stupid. The purpose of the game is to make money by attracting average customers, not reward the best players with a game designed for them.
    Why are you reading this as me saying "everything in the game must be hard"? That isn't *remotely* what I'm saying, and you either have a serious reading comprehension problem or you are constructing a strawman to attack. In either case, the problem is on your end and you need to address it.

What I *am* saying is that content that is explicitly and intentionally designed to be challenging and demand at least some degree of performance from players *should be challenging and demanding.* Unlike WoW, the full, *canon* narrative for raids and all content is associated with the normal mode content, not the extremes/savages. In the last leg of Eden, for example, the player characters successfully save Gaia's memories; the savage raid, which adds a fifth Oracle of Darkness fight, is effectively "what if they failed?" You miss out on *nothing* by only ever playing the easy mode content, which is a wise design choice.

But it's *absurd* to claim that you don't want to make challenging content because "it would put too much pressure on individual players." The *entire point* of that kind of challenging content is the increased demands on each player and the necessity of teamwork and coordination. And it's perfectly fine for it to be this way, because it's *optional.*

I'll never understand why people pick MMO's to come and try to flex some kind of elite gamer cred. It's quite literally the worst gaming genre for this "waving my dick around" nonsense.

Go play chess, or a competitive FPS, or a fighting game, or an RTS, or anything else. Whining about how bad a company is because their MMO isn't giving you tough enough bear asses to whack in small group content is patently absurd.
    The other guy made a strawman, I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't repeat the same stupid mistake.

I don't know, and I wouldn't judge.

To be honest, I enjoy harder content. I prefer it, really. I was getting server first kills on raid bosses back in Vex Thal and Plane of Time, as stupid as the content was back then. Was I some elite badass for it? Hell no. It was 95% just time investment.

But I'm not going to throw a tantrum about how the company is bad for not catering to my dick swinging. Or that the company is angering me by attracting players that are bad, scrubby, being carried, "instant gratification types", whatever. It's ridiculous, MMO gameplay is almost entirely just putting time in to things and a minimum of effort.

Is there harder content? Of course there is. But if the people throwing the tantrums are so worried about it, then go do that content. Go apply to Limit or whatever. Actually do the content in the genre that's designed for people to swing their dicks around. Don't sit in the fucking leveling roulette in FFXIV bemoaning that the game just isn't letting your brilliance shine through or some shit.
    Literally who is complaining about player quality in leveling roulette? Are you making *another* strawman?

Raubahn is the exception, not the rule. Look at the main cast of characters: With the exception of Raubahn, Hien, and maybe the WoL, every single character looks like he came out of an anime or Kingdom Hearts.

You do realize FFXIV is a JRPG, right? It would be really weird if the primary cast *didn't* look like anime characters.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    You do realize FFXIV is a JRPG, right? It would be really weird if the primary cast *didn't* look like anime characters.
    The point is that there is a clear, undeniable difference in aesthetic tastes between what flies in Japan, and what Westerners (like your average WoW player) are used to, and FFXIV's aesthetics are a barrier of entry to a lot of people.

The point is that there is a clear, undeniable difference in aesthetic tastes between what flies in Japan, and what Westerners (like your average WoW player) are used to, and FFXIV's aesthetics are a barrier of entry to a lot of people.
    And it blows my mind people are offended by comments, such as mine, who think the art style is too feminine (even by FF standards) so they choose not to play ff14 seriously. The people in denial about it only need to look up and down this thread to see the aesthetic IS the #1 thing complained about, even if some people do love it.

Art is subjective, what works for some doesn't work for others. I enjoy horror movies for example, but not everyone likes horror movies. That's ok too.

I appreciate you listing those good examples, especially about the one character being the exception not the norm, also, those are NPC characters. There are no player characters who you can get with any kind of aesthetic like that too. Every player character is either a beauty salon member, a child, or a furry. That works for some, but it doesn't appeal to me personally.

I also didn't like the art of Wildstar because of it's Disney aesthetic so it isn't as if i'm just picking on JRPG's. Plenty of JRPG's i enjoy the aesthetic of, including FF games like 3-7. I just don't enjoy 14's aesthetic. I don't bash people who do.

I just prefer a darker fantasy aesthetic, something like ESO or even older warcraft (Wow retail suffers from a lot of the same problems... fox people ugh). Even when i watch anime, i prefer something darker like Attack on Titan over others with a more... dainty art style, or cliche teenage protagonist chosen one (i know i know, but AOT is far from cliche or soft art)
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-06-12 at 12:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the game but i can't get out of the first quests. There is so much on the screen and the quest text bubbles turn me off.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post

This sounds like a problem with your guild? Why not find a likeminded group of players who don't care about performance and just want to shoot the shit?

The best way to have fun in any game like this is to be with likeminded people who have a shared goal, whatever that goal is. I would say that almost all guild conflicts come from a violation of that principle - either so and so is "too serious" or so and so is "not serious enough."

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Why are you reading this as me saying "everything in the game must be hard"? That isn't *remotely* what I'm saying, and you either have a serious reading comprehension problem or you are constructing a strawman to attack. In either case, the problem is on your end and you need to address it.

What I *am* saying is that content that is explicitly and intentionally designed to be challenging and demand at least some degree of performance from players *should be challenging and demanding.* Unlike WoW, the full, *canon* narrative for raids and all content is associated with the normal mode content, not the extremes/savages. In the last leg of Eden, for example, the player characters successfully save Gaia's memories; the savage raid, which adds a fifth Oracle of Darkness fight, is effectively "what if they failed?" You miss out on *nothing* by only ever playing the easy mode content, which is a wise design choice.

But it's *absurd* to claim that you don't want to make challenging content because "it would put too much pressure on individual players." The *entire point* of that kind of challenging content is the increased demands on each player and the necessity of teamwork and coordination. And it's perfectly fine for it to be this way, because it's *optional.*

The other guy made a strawman, I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't repeat the same stupid mistake.

Literally who is complaining about player quality in leveling roulette? Are you making *another* strawman?

WoW's canon story is based on normal mode too. All mythic gets is an extra phase. There's no separate cutscene for Mythic so I'm not sure why you're saying FFXIV doing the same exact things is somehow a bad thing. You even mentioned that there is Extreme/Ultimate options for more challenge so I'm really not entirely sure what you're criticizing here.

And Bovinity is 100% correct. Games don't need super high difficulty options because the people who take part in those difficulties are a super small minority. He didn't put forward ANY strawman. Just because you don't like his point doesn't make it a strawman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vintersol View Post
    I bought the game but i can't get out of the first quests. There is so much on the screen and the quest text bubbles turn me off.
    You can turn those off in your character settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    To me, doing anything else would be fucking stupid. The purpose of the game is to make money by attracting average customers, not reward the best players with a game designed for them.
    I'll never understand why people pick MMO's to come and try to flex some kind of elite gamer cred. It's quite literally the worst gaming genre for this "waving my dick around" nonsense.

Go play chess, or a competitive FPS, or a fighting game, or an RTS, or anything else. Whining about how bad a company is because their MMO isn't giving you tough enough bear asses to whack in small group content is patently absurd.
    Pretty much. If Barrett actually represents "normal" for someone, and everything else is "feminine" then...I dunno what to tell them. Pretty much everyone is going to be "feminine" to them. (Including themselves, probably)

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, if you want all this super mega hard content, then go do that content.

Bitching that XIV 4-mans just aren't letting your inner pro gamer shine through enough is silly.
    I *have* done that content. I don't see why asking for more of it, or asking for a more varied production of it, is some kind of cataclysmic problem or at all justifies the attitudes you and others are throwing out here.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    This sounds like a problem with your guild? Why not find a likeminded group of players who don't care about performance and just want to shoot the shit?

The best way to have fun in any game like this is to be with likeminded people who have a shared goal, whatever that goal is. I would say that almost all guild conflicts come from a violation of that principle - either so and so is "too serious" or so and so is "not serious enough."
    It is a guild atmosphere, for sure. I see it wherever I look for other players though, so I just accept that people like me are a minority and just deal with it. I don't really have an issue with being serious when it's appropriate, I would just like some banter while farming. Not much I can do to change that I'm afraid.