Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Took a game break and raid break for the first time since Vanilla, been unsubbed for 6 months and by the DAY I miss the game less and less. I was expecting the opposite to boost my joy and wish to play again but despite Corona restrictions, I find myself drifting away from the game. If they keep these long release cycles, I'll for sure never come back, I'm like all you other WoW addicts, I need to be "high" all the time but as soon as you detox, it feels better without it.

I'd still play and love the game. The content will come and honestly, I'd like to see how many people actually have finished all the covenant campaigns, downed every raid boss, and mastered every dungeon. There is so much content, I think some people just get burned out or their guild died.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    What would you do if Blizzard, seeing that a good number of people will continue subscribing during a content drought, decided to permanently lengthen the patch release cycle?
    Say "finally" because I've been saying switch to 3 year release cycles since forever
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by teglin View Post
    I'd still play and love the game. The content will come and honestly, I'd like to see how many people actually have finished all the covenant campaigns, downed every raid boss, and mastered every dungeon. There is so much content, I think some people just get burned out or their guild died.
    The problem with this is that there are very few players who actually want to consume all the content. Like for me, pet battles and collecting may as well not exist because I don't care about it. For others, raids and dungeons may as well not exist because that's not why they play the game.

Unpopular opinion, i actually enjoy a bit of downtime between tiers, having a new tier release and be in a rush to finish it and then barely few months later a few tier coming doesnt allow you to actually wrap up everything you want to do in that tier.

as the content is very patch focused, more time in each patch is beneficial. and if ppl just want to play for the first month or so, can always cancel after that and resub when new stuff is up. you get all the experience for almost no cost in that situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main gripe with WoW these days is not the lack of content or the droughts between updates but rather the nature of said content. I went from a casual player to RP-only mode in BFA-Shadowlands because:

- The story, setting and characters were no longer gripping me as it did in the past;
    - The gamedesign focus on endgame PvE/PvE is not something that interests me anymore. I've grown weary chasing after the same carrot for 14+ years only to have it replaced by another one in the next patch;

But then I also quit the game altogether because I didn't feel like paying Blizzard for a permission to make my own content (RP) on their platform where they'd actively go out of their way to hamper the roleplaying experience (See lack of player housing, character customization and draconian restrictions on flavour items like tents from Draenor and transmog).

10+ Year Old Account
    4 years expansions inc

I'm more or less convinced that this will not be the norm.

Covid-19 says hello.

But, and this is a big-un, this is an MMORPG. MoP retained 5 million players over a 14-month period, even WoD held enough players throughout to make 800 million USD in a bad year. MMORPG-players are just cut from a different cloth. There's cyclical players of course, but enough stay subbed throughout for it to count regardless of how shit the content is... Looking at you, 8.3.

They want to boost quarterlies however, so releasing content regularly is sort of the bread-and-butter of GROWTH, not simply maintenance, of profits. The pandemic simply threw a spanner in the works, and here we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realise this shit constantly happens since over 10years?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I love the game, and am subbed even if not paying sometimes, and I might be considered a slow player but I think it's because I like to take my time nd immerse myself and appreciate the environments, atmosphere, music, etc. I think they lose something by releasing patches too soon, they sacrifice their own worlds and our connection to them, and they forsake the thing they were trying to accomplish which was invite us to experience and become part of the world we're exploring and getting to become familiar with. these worlds are our home, our characters' homes and travels, and us as players' homes too. That why so many of us have a fondness for litch king it's because dalaran and the zones all felt like places we're connected to, same with lots of vanilla places and for me, mop. They betray their own ability to achieve this if they keep rushing us through everything and don't let us have time to admire and become one with the lands.

I though legion's patches came too quick/soon, I wasn't ready for them, their rate felt forced and unnecessary and made me wonder if the teams cared about us enjoying the environments they had made since they were so quickly moving us along (the good thing is they kept using a lot of them throughout the story, but I never got a sense of belonging or familiarity wit them like I did in mop, except for class hall).

In the past, it actually was a pleasant surprise when a new patch came out (I didn't even know they were called patches) and it was nice to log on and realize the game had delivered a new zone or mini expansion, and I usually felt like it was appropriate timing, that I didn't necessarily know of specific things to do or was just enjoying the game anyway and timing seemed good I guess because I felt or I guessed this is when they think there should be more available stuff to do now. Raids always come way earlier than I would like, because the raids are usually involved with a story and I am usually still on the story or still in a raid when the next stuff comes out, which alienates me.

I like slower pace and longer spread out patches. It actually helps the world to settle and fee l more real in that you're IN it for a WHILE. I don't usually keep up with when patches come out, so if they take a while, I just start getting used to the world and feel like I'm a part of it. The world becomes natural, not forced. I think expansions and patches should take longer t o come out out, from an aesthetic point of view.

What would you do if Blizzard, seeing that a good number of people will continue subscribing during a content drought, decided to permanently lengthen the patch release cycle?

Would you continue subscribing, knowing that content will eventually come?

Would you continue subscribing, believing that a longer patch cycle means better quality content?

Would you temporarily unsubscribe and come back when new content is eventually release?

Would you permanently unsubscribe, giving up on WoW?

Would you do something other than the above?
    I personally like last patches of xpack, so I don't see anything bad in longer patches, but that's because they're more casual-friendly. At least they were in the past. Problem with patch 9.0 - is that it's overstretched, i.e. it's content is "endless grind" and therefore it's not casual-friendly at all. I don't like such patches. That's why I'm unsubbed now. And I will be permanently unsubbed, if all patches will be like that.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post
    I love the game, and am subbed even if not paying sometimes, and I might be considered a slow player but I think it's because I like to take my time nd immerse myself and appreciate the environments, atmosphere, music, etc. I think they lose something by releasing patches too soon, they sacrifice their own worlds and our connection to them, and they forsake the thing they were trying to accomplish which was invite us to experience and become part of the world we're exploring and getting to become familiar with. these worlds are our home, our characters' homes and travels, and us as players' homes too. That why so many of us have a fondness for litch king it's because dalaran and the zones all felt like places we're connected to, same with lots of vanilla places and for me, mop. They betray their own ability to achieve this if they keep rushing us through everything and don't let us have time to admire and become one with the lands.

I though legion's patches came too quick/soon, I wasn't ready for them, their rate felt forced and unnecessary and made me wonder if the teams cared about us enjoying the environments they had made since they were so quickly moving us along (the good thing is they kept using a lot of them throughout the story, but I never got a sense of belonging or familiarity wit them like I did in mop, except for class hall).

In the past, it actually was a pleasant surprise when a new patch came out (I didn't even know they were called patches) and it was nice to log on and realize the game had delivered a new zone or mini expansion, and I usually felt like it was appropriate timing, that I didn't necessarily know of specific things to do or was just enjoying the game anyway and timing seemed good I guess because I felt or I guessed this is when they think there should be more available stuff to do now. Raids always come way earlier than I would like, because the raids are usually involved with a story and I am usually still on the story or still in a raid when the next stuff comes out, which alienates me.

I like slower pace and longer spread out patches. It actually helps the world to settle and fee l more real in that you're IN it for a WHILE. I don't usually keep up with when patches come out, so if they take a while, I just start getting used to the world and feel like I'm a part of it. The world becomes natural, not forced. I think expansions and patches should take longer t o come out out, from an aesthetic point of view.
    Perfectly valid perspective, but this is also why the developers can't win on some level. It is effectively impossible to appease a type of player like you and players who devour content and play for the PvE character grind.

A huge reason early wow was successful was that it was really the only (good) game that could offer content to all these varying player types, but I'm not sure that's actually feasible for any game to accomplish anymore. Just like how we went from "there is one TV show everyone watches" to "there are a million niche shows with modest audiences," I think we're in a similar situation.

I'm increasingly convinced that this is fundamentally a target audience problem. Blizzard got away without needing to cultivate a specific audience years ago, but now those chickens have come home to roost. Half the playerbase has defected to classic because retail will never satisfy them, and many others have just fled to other games for similar reasons. At some point, they have to actually pick a core audience and decide who this game is going to be for rather than alienate everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    We are cyclical

The sooner you stop playing WoW, the sooner you will feel like playing it again.
    That really doesnt work anymore.

It worked a few long years ago, but some people got very jaded, myself included.

I actually will tell you a harsh secret, I only played wow during the free week in febuary and didnt even -start- Shadowlands because I realized just, seeing the game I used to love change this much it wasnt for me anymore, got rid of the client, even got rid of battlenet, didnt see a reason to look back.

Last time I subbed to wow was 8.3 for about a month, and I quit soon after, no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    That really doesnt work anymore.

It worked a few long years ago, but some people got very jaded, myself included.

I actually will tell you a harsh secret, I only played wow during the free week in febuary and didnt even -start- Shadowlands because I realized just, seeing the game I used to love change this much it wasnt for me anymore, got rid of the client, even got rid of battlenet, didnt see a reason to look back.

Last time I subbed to wow was 8.3 for about a month, and I quit soon after, no regrets.
    I understand that feeling to be honest...is very recent though.
    Whenever i see a twitch streamer playing in Outland (Burning Crusade) i get overwhelmed with feelings of "what the hell are we doing with our lives still playing this game?"

If they kept up 8 months per patch, that'd be better than the past where it was 6, 6 and then 12 months. If it's 8, 8 and then 12 then that's unfortunate, but I'd still play and just have more time during the end of patches where I play less and spend time on other stuff instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I'm more or less convinced that this will not be the norm.

Covid-19 says hello.

But, and this is a big-un, this is an MMORPG. MoP retained 5 million players over a 14-month period, even WoD held enough players throughout to make 800 million USD in a bad year. MMORPG-players are just cut from a different cloth. There's cyclical players of course, but enough stay subbed throughout for it to count regardless of how shit the content is... Looking at you, 8.3.

They want to boost quarterlies however, so releasing content regularly is sort of the bread-and-butter of GROWTH, not simply maintenance, of profits. The pandemic simply threw a spanner in the works, and here we are.
    Yeah, same. Once they get back to the office, I expect the pace to pick up again. It's very clear (based on the slow expansion/patch releases and on some recent idiocy by Blizzard devs on twitter) that their work processes just don't work if they're not in the same office.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    You do realise this shit constantly happens since over 10years?
    Seven months of a x.0 patch happens constantly since over 10 years...? WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Seven months of a x.0 patch happens constantly since over 10 years...? WTF?
    Arent you a smartass, long patches arent a new thing.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

6 months between content patches is already too long, extending the lifetime of an expansion or a tier is no good idea.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Would you continue subscribing, knowing that content will eventually come?

Would you continue subscribing, believing that a longer patch cycle means better quality content?

Would you temporarily unsubscribe and come back when new content is eventually release?

Would you permanently unsubscribe, giving up on WoW?

Would you do something other than the above?
    Blizz leadership has already had this discussion. They have determined, with reasonable certainty, that the majority of current subs will remain subbed no matter how badly they treat you...er, how slowly they provide content.

A longer patch cycle has never produced better content. In fact, the most liked expansions had the least amount of time spent on them (e.g. Wrath, MoP, Legion).

As long as you keep giving excuses about your abusive spouse, that spouse will continue to abuse you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Arent you a smartass, long patches arent a new thing.
    They certainly are when it comes to x.0 patches, guess who's the smart!@# here.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.