Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yo guys, the thread is to discuss things that we appreciate in ffxiv after playing wow

Try to get back on topic
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where is your data and statistics that support your claims?
    I'm not saying that it's true but if a lot of people on the Internet are saying that WoW players are toxic and a lot of people are saying that FFXIV players are nice there could be something to it.
    If a lot of people on the internet are saying that there's a pizza shop with a pedophile ring in the basement, maybe there's something to that as well. Same goes for the existence of Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and reptilian shapeshifting lizard people.

All of you are missing the point. I couldn't care less what the actual answer is. I'm saying the argument is fallacious and therefore pointless and circlejerky, much like everything on this forum. There is no verifiable evidence that can prove what anyone, including what I've said myself for the sake of argument, is saying here - but one guy is going off about how literally one hundred percent of all WoW players in LFD are toxic and will immediately boot you for the crime of being new and that literally one hundred percent of FF14 players would never do that, based on nothing but his own anecdotal (and potentially wildly exaggerated) personal experience. Much like the examples above, because no one comes on forums like this to say "I've had a great time in matchmade content" because they're busy actually playing it and no one comes on the internet to say Bigfoot doesn't exist because they're busy breathing through their noses, the absurd viewpoints drown out all other discussion.

I am genuinely over this "argument" at this point. I thought it was a pretty commonly held, well understood, and logical viewpoint that anecdotes are irrelevant and inconsequential, but I guess the general vibe in this thread is WoW bad FFXIV good and anything that supports that is par for the course.

On-topic, I gave up on retail WoW a while back and decided to give FFXIV a try. To me it felt soulless, the characters felt totally disconnected from the world, the combat felt awful and the art style is extremely niche and likely limits the game's potential for mass appeal. I say this having spent literally thousands of hours playing every other FF game up until XII, including things like FF Tactics on GBA and the spinoffs like Dirge of Cerberus. I love the IP, don't like FFXIV at all.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just like the feeling of not being all knowing and growing into something again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I'm only level 30, but so far the world, at least in terms cities and hubs, just feels more immersive and "alive" than wow. There's tons of players walking around in your typical WoW style giant shoulder spikes and dragon weapons, but you also have people dressed like aristocrats, farmers, blacksmiths, magicians, etc.

The inns and town square actually have bustle and noises to them if you turn on the ambience that makes them sound alive. The music is great, and players can supply their own music it seems. Plus you have so many things that feel more mmo-like: housing, fleshed out professions, some (albeit limited) mount customization (naming and bardings), grand companies seem like covenants done right, most content isn't mandatory and gives you some sort of cosmetic reward or access to new activitiy.

The only thing that I don't like that much is the world itself feels not super memorable in terms of area design / graphics, at least out in the fields for ARR. The monsters don't fit the landscape, they don't really do anything except sit there, you can't swim and there's invisible walls everywhere, etc. Also the fact that there's really no class customization at all, no talents, no special items that change how you play like trinkets / sets (at least from what I've read), and the glamour system, while having way more and better options than WoW, seems woefully archaic in terms of storage and acquisition.
    If you never noticed that ambient chatter is actually determined by the number of players nearby. You will hear it every time they gather en masse.

Also i love how our heads turn towards what we have selected

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    If a lot of people on the internet are saying that there's a pizza shop with a pedophile ring in the basement, maybe there's something to that as well. Same goes for the existence of Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and reptilian shapeshifting lizard people.

All of you are missing the point. I couldn't care less what the actual answer is. I'm saying the argument is fallacious and therefore pointless and circlejerky, much like everything on this forum. There is no verifiable evidence that can prove what anyone, including what I've said myself for the sake of argument, is saying here - but one guy is going off about how literally one hundred percent of all WoW players in LFD are toxic and will immediately boot you for the crime of being new and that literally one hundred percent of FF14 players would never do that, based on nothing but his own anecdotal (and potentially wildly exaggerated) personal experience. Much like the examples above, because no one comes on forums like this to say "I've had a great time in matchmade content" because they're busy actually playing it and no one comes on the internet to say Bigfoot doesn't exist because they're busy breathing through their noses, the absurd viewpoints drown out all other discussion.

I am genuinely over this "argument" at this point. I thought it was a pretty commonly held, well understood, and logical viewpoint that anecdotes are irrelevant and inconsequential, but I guess the general vibe in this thread is WoW bad FFXIV good and anything that supports that is par for the course.

On-topic, I gave up on retail WoW a while back and decided to give FFXIV a try. To me it felt soulless, the characters felt totally disconnected from the world, the combat felt awful and the art style is extremely niche and likely limits the game's potential for mass appeal. I say this having spent literally thousands of hours playing every other FF game up until XII, including things like FF Tactics on GBA and the spinoffs like Dirge of Cerberus. I love the IP, don't like FFXIV at all.
    So you have no data and no statistics then, just feelcraft? Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    So you have no data and no statistics then, just feelcraft? Got it.
    Excellent, you're the second person in the thread to accurately pick up on what I'm saying. Now let's see if you can one-up them and follow through with it to understand why that applies exactly the same way to the same BS you've all been saying, instead of claiming that your feelings are more factual than someone else's. I'm not holding my breath.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Let's see:

The dev team
    The animations
    The music
    The armory system
    The professions
    The difference between the jobs
    The story
    The Gold Saucer being permanent instead of seasonal like the Darkmoon Faire
    Major patch every 3-4 months
    Nothing being mandatory to do
    UI editor and other stuff WoW needs AddOns for.
    All the references to past Final Fantasy titles (yes, I am fan of the series as a whole)

I think that's pretty much it.
    Would only disagree with the Gold Saucer/DKF. I think having certain events coming around once a month makes them far more special. But to be honest, they cooked Darkmoon Faire as all else.. it literally makes no difference now.

Loved it when I was grinding my Insane title... Then shortly after they nerfed that too.. sigh.

Excellent, you're the second person in the thread to accurately pick up on what I'm saying. Now let's see if you can one-up them and follow through with it to understand why that applies exactly the same way to the same BS you've all been saying, instead of claiming that your feelings are more factual than someone else's. I'm not holding my breath.
    I've not claimed such things, just that a lot of people seem to share the same feelings and they could very well be true, impossible to know.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    2 weeks in and still enjoying FFXIV. Absolutely love the newbie chat channel, its a pretty good idea. Plenty of helpful players and chatter going on. I love the enthusiasm too, 'if you're enjoying X wait til you get to Y'.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    2 weeks in and still enjoying FFXIV. Absolutely love the newbie chat channel, its a pretty good idea. Plenty of helpful players and chatter going on. I love the enthusiasm too, 'if you're enjoying X wait til you get to Y'.
    It's the first time I hear about the newbie chat channel. Could you tell me how to access it?

Thank you for further proving my point. I never once said 100% of the playerbase of WoW is toxic and never said that 100% of the FFXIV playerbase is nice. All I said was that WoW's community is one of the most toxic communities on the internet and that there are a lot of trolls in WoW who love to kick people for the smallest reasons and as early as possible so that person gets the 30 minutes cooldown. Then they proceed to send them snide whispers.

Nice false equivalency though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    It's the first time I hear about the newbie chat channel. Could you tell me how to access it?
    you have to get invited to the novice network by a mentor. So just ask to be invited in the global chat of any big city. At least I'm pretty sure how you join the newbie chat.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Would only disagree with the Gold Saucer/DKF. I think having certain events coming around once a month makes them far more special. But to be honest, they cooked Darkmoon Faire as all else.. it literally makes no difference now.

Loved it when I was grinding my Insane title... Then shortly after they nerfed that too.. sigh.
    Yeah I can understand that. I like that I can go there whenever I want and I have the seasonal holidays to feel special. But I totally get what you are saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post

you have to get invited to the novice network by a mentor. So just ask to be invited in the global chat of any big city. At least I'm pretty sure how you join the newbie chat.
    Isn't it automatic? Pretty sure it is. When I come back after a period of not being able to sub, they automatically put me into the Novice chat.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Isn't it automatic? Pretty sure it is. When I come back after a period of not being able to sub, they automatically put me into the Novice chat.
    No, I don't think its automatic. I got invited by one of the mentor guys who was trawling around for players who might benefit from joining.

No, I don't think its automatic. I got invited by one of the mentor guys who was trawling around for players who might benefit from joining.
    Maybe unless you left sometime yourself, it should be automatic invite for anyone that starts or returns. If not, it might've been a bug?

I love how there's literally 0 customization gameplay-wise. I never have to google any builds, tier lists or whatever - I'm just having fun. I completely forgot how that felt like playing WoW.

I left WoW a long time ago back in ARR, but for me it's always been the feeling that my time is being rewarded. WoW doesn't respect your time at all, shit's incredibly slanted in its reward structure and without a badge/point system I don't feel like I'm working towards anything. The excitement of "tuesday I can get a new piece of gear" was something I found myself missing so badly, and FFXIV embraces that kind of design. It's not hard at all to dip out, then do some tomestone grinding and get near-BiS gear every week with tomestones to catch up. There's not this feeling that the game is trying to hold you hostage like there is with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    I love how there's literally 0 customization gameplay-wise. I never have to google any builds, tier lists or whatever - I'm just having fun. I completely forgot how that felt like playing WoW.
    You know, I completely agree with this and it's kind of sad. A lot of the "customization" WoW has just feels like I'm always forced to play 75% of a class.

The talent rows just aren't well-designed and it feels like you have to look at ten different things to just know how to effectively play your class, and often I really enjoy a setup I used while leveling only to find it's complete garbage at 60 for some reason or another, leading me to feel like I'm playing something completely different from what I leveled as.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Look for the Novice Network (The Smith) NPC in Limsa - The Drowning Wench , Ul'dah - The Quicksand , or Gridania - Carline Canopy.
    Talk to one of these, they should get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    Look for the Novice Network (The Smith) NPC in Limsa - The Drowning Wench , Ul'dah - The Quicksand , or Gridania - Carline Canopy.
    Talk to one of these, they should get you started.
    Thanks a lot, I was unaware such a thing existed

10+ Year Old Account
    I was added to it when I resubbed and my max level character was only level 60 (Last played in Heavensward). I left pretty fast as it was... bad. My level might have had something to do with it.

Yeah I can understand that. I like that I can go there whenever I want and I have the seasonal holidays to feel special. But I totally get what you are saying.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was automatic too but I wasn't automatically put into the chat on all my characters