Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    How (un)likely is it that this will be another Warcraft Reforged debacle?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    My friend just recently got hit by a 170€ fine for downloading Stronghold Crusader.
    was he also sharing it?because looking in to it a bit,i seem to find info on it not being illegal unless you distribute it yourself,kinda like it is with drugs in many places,legal to use personaly,not legal to make and sell

anyways,just tell him to use a vpn,how anyone could get cought for this is beyond me,he must have been doing something else shady

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    he didnt say its not breaking the law,he made the obvious and correct statement that stealing isnt the same as pirating,no1 is being hurt by it,and nothing is even lost,it is a victimless crime just like smoking weed,people still did hard time for it,and its equaly as stupid

also wile it is not legal in many places,no1 literaly gives a crap about it,unless you are making it and selling it no1 is gonna go after you for pirating a shity game that isnt worth the $

this is basicaly like tha anti sodomy laws in texas lol
    Yes, yes. We're all so interested in your criminal excuses. Stealing is totally ok so long as you're not caught and the victim never knows. /s

Seriously, where are the mods?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    There's a difference between having a negative opinion and expressing it in an appropriate way. A youtuber I like said it pretty well. "If you disagree with me, feel free to state your opinion in a non-douchey way in the comment section below." Calling someone salty means you've already lost.
    There's nothing "douchey" about my initial response to this thread, what is douchey however is responding and saying people are "whining" when all they have is an opinion that doesn't line up with theirs.

The dude seriously thought I was whining that I saved myself money. I could only assume he was salty about my opinion towards graphics, likely because he's spent thousands on a rig to run things at uber 4k or something but I still get the same gaming experience as him
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2021-06-15 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yes, yes. We're all so interested in your criminal excuses. Stealing is totally ok so long as you're not caught and the victim never knows. /s

Seriously, where are the mods?
    the ammount of willfull dishonesty and strawmaning is off the charts

also mods for what?im not condoning breaking the law here at all

Quote Originally Posted by Josyel View Post
    Woah! I cant wait to replay another old game that changed nothing besides having more pixels!

Diablo Immortal would be better than another excuse of Blizzard to milk money of a dead cow.
    Except a D2 rework has been requested countless times by the community. Subjectively I'd say it has been way more requested than a SC1 or WC3 rework

- - - Updated - - -

he made the obvious and correct statement that stealing isnt the same as pirating,no1 is being hurt by it,and nothing is even lost,it is a victimless crime
    Just try to build a company that sells any sort of software, and you'll see how wrong you are.

Pirating DOES hurt software companies. Pirating also hurts buying customers, since it increases prices for everyone else. Do you really think no CEO in the history of software companies has ever thought "hmm, I know many people are going to pirate our software, so in order to make the same amount of money, we need to increase prices by x%"?

Let's say there's a software company that makes their first game. It's in development for 5 years, so it already cost a shitton of money to make. If every single player pirates the game, and the company makes 0$ on the game, and has to declare bankruptcy, do you still think it's a "victimless crime"? What about if only 90% pirate it and 10% buy it? What's the percentage so it becomes a "victimless crime"? 50%? 25%? I'm curious behind that thought process.

If you steal $100 from a billionaire, it's pretty much a "victimless crime" right? Because it's not going to hurt them at all. And yes, I'm aware that last paragraph is a strawman, but literally no other part of my post is.

was he also sharing it?because looking in to it a bit,i seem to find info on it not being illegal unless you distribute it yourself,kinda like it is with drugs in many places,legal to use personaly,not legal to make and sell

anyways,just tell him to use a vpn,how anyone could get cought for this is beyond me,he must have been doing something else shady
    He used torrent, so yes he also "shared" it. And no he did nothing else.

Personally, just buy the shit game for 2 bucks and be done with it. Not worth any risk at all.

Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    Just try to build a company that sells any sort of software, and you'll see how wrong you are.

Pirating DOES hurt software companies. Pirating also hurts buying customers, since it increases prices for everyone else. Do you really think no CEO in the history of software companies has ever thought "hmm, I know many people are going to pirate our software, so in order to make the same amount of money, we need to increase prices by x%"?

Let's say there's a software company that makes their first game. It's in development for 5 years, so it already cost a shitton of money to make. If every single player pirates the game, and the company makes 0$ on the game, and has to declare bankruptcy, do you still think it's a "victimless crime"? What about if only 90% pirate it and 10% buy it? What's the percentage so it becomes a "victimless crime"? 50%? 25%? I'm curious behind that thought process.

If you steal $100 from a billionaire, it's pretty much a "victimless crime" right? Because it's not going to hurt them at all. And yes, I'm aware that last paragraph is a strawman, but literally no other part of my post is.
    I think a fair argument can be made that pirating can also lead to profits for a company,many people may not wanna buy a full priced game unless they know they enjoy it first,specialy considering demo's seem to have gone extinct....

Some ofc wont buy but at the end of the day its very likely an equalising scenario among the 2 posibilities,people will buy the game if they enjoy it,wanna support the company,wanna play online,sometimes cracked games dont get updates,some dont even get cracked for months or a year

And again,the stealing 100 bucks from a billionaire isnt the best comparison,because in that case you literaly are taking physical goods, games are digital,literaly nothing is lost,if it was a physical copy it would be very different

How the F* HELL do you guys think, that pirating is a victimless crime?

Imagine not being able to pirate a single game. What would you do? Just throw your computer out of the window? Or sell it and go play tennis?

No, you would buy the game you want to play the most, or buy it with your friend and share the account/disc. So NO, not even in a million years will pirating be a victimless crime, you are robbing the developer off their revenue. PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    There has been no new content coming from Blizzard apart from WoW since 2016, and by 2021 even WoW is struggling.

OW2 is in development for 2-3 years, nothing was actually developed by that time other than new-but-actually-same character models. There is no release date, and it will probably never be released.
    Diablo 4 currently just a D3 reskin. There is no release date, and it will probably never be released.
    WoW patch 9.1 is long overdue.
    Doesn’t change that Blizzard is still developing new games.
    OW2 is being developed.
    Stating D4 is just a reskin is stating D2 & D3 are reskins of 1. And that any sequel is a reskin of the previous game if similar in any way.
    9.1 being overdo doesn’t change that it’s still being worked on.
    As stated previously, whether they are good or not remains to be seen.

- - - Updated - - -

overwatch 2 is basicaly a reskin
    diablo immortal is literaly just a mobile shity port thats not even being made by blizzard
    diablo 4 is not new and 200% wont even be better than d2,and thats sad
    9.1 is a myth,it doesnt exist (and its not new,more reskined content)
    As stated to another person: any sequel that is similar to an older game is a reskin using your logic.
    OW2 is still a sequel being developed.
    Diablo Immortal is still a Blizzard game.
    D4 is a sequel, and will 100% be a new game when released.
    Saying 9.1 is a myth is laughable. It’s delayed, that’s true; but, it’s still new content being released.
    Keep stretching to meet your Blizzard hating goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    the original version (supposedly) isn't being removed. so that's half the debacle already averted.

recently tried to replay diablo 2 but i have to say, on a 1440p display it's pretty hard to look at. haven't heard any disaster stories so far yet, so it'll probably be a net positive experience.

my only issue is the price, i don't think i'll get $40 worth of playtime out of it. so maybe on a xmas sale when all the initial issues have been patched.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Well fucking download beta from torrents and find out yourself?............
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Rikkuu View Post

Imagine not being able to pirate a single game. What would you do? Just throw your computer out of the window? Or sell it and go play tennis?

No, you would buy the game you want to play the most, or buy it with your friend and share the account/disc. So NO, not even in a million years will pirating be a victimless crime, you are robbing the developer off their revenue. PERIOD!
    but... you say yourself that with a limited budget you can only buy the games you want the most. not all games you want. you can't give someone money you don't have.

now sure, taking stuff for free isn't the right thing to do, but it's as victimless as crime is going to get.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-06-15 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikkuu View Post

if pirating didnt exist people would:

A:just buy the game...maybe
    B:not buy the game period

if pirating exists:

A: people buy the game after testing it and seeing they enjoy it,so they can also use the full features of the game like online play or future addons that pirated games often dont release or do so late
    B:they just play the pirated game

so in the end it comes up fairly equal

also wile i DONT condone doing illegal stuff,pirating a game creates victims as much as buying illegal weed for yourself does in the sense that you no longer buy tabaco so you deprive big tabaco of the revenue....lol

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Typical overprivileged answer. Not everyone has lot of money to just drop them on overpriced game without being able to actually test it first. Just because you can throw money on game and if it turns out to be total junker you won't miss that money, doesn't mean everyone else should do that too.

Blizzard is in full customer milking mode. They overcharge for games, while delivering subpar results. Denying that is like denying that water is wet or earth is round.
    Exactly! I will buy it but just not at their outrageous asking price. 30 bucks would have been acceptable.

Pirating DOES hurt software companies.
    Piracy hurts software companies IF it's done as a replacement for buying the game. If a given person wouldn't buy the game regardless, then the situation is exactly the same for the company.

Do you really think no CEO in the history of software companies has ever thought "hmm, I know many people are going to pirate our software, so in order to make the same amount of money, we need to increase prices by x%"?
    If they can make more money by increasing prices by x%, wouldn't they do it anyway even if there was 0 piracy?

If every single player pirates the game, and the company makes 0$ on the game, and has to declare bankruptcy, do you still think it's a "victimless crime"?
    And if every single person eats free samples only, the food industry collapses, so free food samples shouldn't exist?

No one is defending that every single player should pirate a game, hell no one is even defending pirating at all. Of course it will have a huge impact if you hugely blow it out of proportion, but the fact is the overwhelming majority of games will not have anywhere near those percentages of piracy even if they are DRM-free.

The idea that piracy is (or rather, can be) a victimless crime, comes from a few different points.

The first is that digital goods can be copied without any direct cost. Sure, if you would have otherwise bought the game, but chose not to because you pirated it, then yes, your act of piracy has denied the company/publisher a sale. But it's not like theft, which not only denies the sale but also the physical property and production cost of that specific copy. So even though you are not paying for it, if you wouldn't have bought it anyway then the situation is no different at all for the company/publisher. If anything they might get at least an extra person to spread word of mouth.

The second is that a lot of piracy is done not to avoid paying a price you are easily able to play, but to either get a feel of the game or checking how it runs in your pc before committing your money to it, to access games that are not accessible to you (due to poor or inexistent distribution in your country, or lack of viable methods of payment) or simply by people who do not have the economic means to purchase said games.

I've pirated the vast majority of games I played as a child and teenager, because I had no money of my own and my family didn't have enough spare money to spend on entertainment. Do you know what would have changed if I had not pirated those games? I would have not played many games at all, and the companies would have had the same exact amount of money from me: 0. If anything I could have been much less of a gamer today, and spend a lot less on games nowadays that I thankfully have enough disposable income to only play games I have purchased. Good example of this: the only reason I regularly subscribe to WoW and have bought all xpacs since MoP is because I started playing on a private server. If I hadn't, I almost certainly would have never tried it.

Granted this has changed a bit in recent years, with a lot more free games going around as well as much better value-for-money opportunities such as the game pass, game bundles, sales, etc. But I think it's still a fair point that applies to many people.

TL;DR: Is it victimless? It can be, depends on the context. Doesn't mean it's right, even if victimless. But in my opinion, it does mean it's not as morally deplorable as some people make it out to be, and certainly not the same thing as theft. It does mean that it's not all just negative, that it can actually have a positive impact, and that it's not as bad as people make it. And most of all, it does mean that the way to fight it (particularly the harmful one that does cause a loss of sales) is to provide a good, better service at a fair price, rather than trying to prevent and demonize it.

The ignorance of some people here is infuriating. Try starting a software company, then you'll learn how much of a "victimless crime" software piracy really is. I'm outta here

The ignorance of some people here is infuriating. Try starting a software company, then you'll learn how much of a "victimless crime" software piracy really is. I'm outta here
    I am more baffled by people that defend piracy with the logic of "well it doesnt create as much harm as stealing, so its basically victimless", but they just dont understand where the line is drawn.... the line is drawn exactly at ZERO... so even if piracy creates "1 dollar of harm" , it just cannot be victimless, because you can exactly name the victims and the "amount of harm" inflicted to them

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Typical overprivileged answer. Not everyone has lot of money to just drop them on overpriced game without being able to actually test it first. Just because you can throw money on game and if it turns out to be total junker you won't miss that money, doesn't mean everyone else should do that too.

Blizzard is in full customer milking mode. They overcharge for games, while delivering subpar results. Denying that is like denying that water is wet or earth is round.
    I bought D2 back in high school and can still play it today. Same witj D3. Do you really think it's milking a playerbase if they get free access to servers for the literal decades? Surely you realize that has a cost to a company? That the remaster took money to make?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Doesn’t change that Blizzard is still developing new games.
    OW2 is being developed.
    Stating D4 is just a reskin is stating D2 & D3 are reskins of 1. And that any sequel is a reskin of the previous game if similar in any way.
    9.1 being overdo doesn’t change that it’s still being worked on.
    As stated previously, whether they are good or not remains to be seen.
    Overwatch 2 was revealed on Blizzcon on November 1, 2019.
    No new content was presented on Blizzcon 2020.
    Blizzcon 2021 is cancelled.
    Jeff Kaplan left Blizzard.
    In 2 years we've only seen new-but-same models and different-but-same UI.
    For me it is a strong suggestion that there is close to zero development and this game will never be released.

Diablo 4 is doing a bit better since at least they showed something on Blizzcon 2020.

Both OW2 and D4 do not have a release date. For example even brand new games that are revealed on E3 right now have release dates, even if they say 2022 or 2023. W3R and D2R had release date. This means they do not even know, when, or if, they will be released. Don't tell me "when it's done" because we're long past this meta.

The speed of 9.1 development hints that if Blizzard's main product is in such disastrous state, then other projects will be scrapped sooner or later.

Diablo Immortal is still a Blizzard game.
    By this logic Crash Bandicoot 4 is also a Blizzard game.