Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    It's odd that I find only a few people who claim they can't make a manly man. Plenty of my friends are perfectly happy with how rugged, bulky, gritty, dirty, etc. their FF character is. You can literally put dirt on your character's face in the character customization menu, and there's very torn up looking armor or tribalistic stuff, and lots of really dark souls looking plate with torn cloth ans nd notched and dented plate.

WoW you can't even put that same dirt on your character's face, and most characters look impeccably clean. I think many WoW players have just been playing WoW so long that the fantasy of what they think their character looks like is stuck in their head, when in reality WoW's style is incredibly colorful and cartoonish.

I get it, you might just like the WoW aesthetic more. But to say you can't make a bulky, rugged, buff, machismo man in FFXIV is objectively wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Hot take: There's a 99% chance that you have more feminine features than the character in that picture.

Taking care of your facial appearance, hair, bathing, etc. is not a "feminine" thing. That's a thing people do. If your idea of masculine is to have 500 facial scars, dirt and blood all over your face, hair filled with lice and maggots, and muscles the size of a rhino, then you have an incredibly warped perception of what "masculine" is.

But I think we've identified the problem. Even if a man is really buff, the mere fact that he appears neat and tidy is apparently "feminine". So this begs the question, when was the last time you shaved? Took a shower? Cut your hair? Picked clothes that looked good on you and weren't just bland nothing clothes that every dude with zero fashion sense wears?
    And I find many of my friends and people I talk to can’t stand the feminine aesthetic. See how hyperbole works? Look around this thread my dude. The aesthetic is the #1 complaint by a significant margin. I’m hardly the only one. And no, a character who looks like he belongs more on queer eye for the straight guy than Married with children is NOT what I would call manly. The opposite. It’s ok to care about your looks and take care of yourself, but that doesn’t mean hair highlights, painted nails, painted on facial hair, and an outfit even stewie griffin wouldn’t wear in his fantasies.

Also, are you defending skinny jeans and that outfit as manly? Would you wear that outfit out in public? Wear that outfit out to the bar, a frat house, or a strip club and see how many women you go home with. Spoiler alert: zero. He looks like he’s more concerned with the nightclub with his boyfriend after the adventure than the actual adventure.

There is literally nothing manly about that picture at all, and anyone who says otherwise is simply in denial about the obvious. Proving my other point about ff14 having, by far, the most thin skinned community in any mmorpg.

That adventurer looks like he’d be defeated by any boss who stops and sings “Nnst Nnst Nnst Nnst Nnst” rhythmically
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-06-15 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    As people have said repeatedly, no one cares if you don't like the visual design of the game. It's your weird fixation on "it's gay" being the reason that it's bad that people take exception to.
    Actually being gay is fine, what year do you think this is? 1997? some of my best friends are gay, I went to a gay wedding just last year... but they aren’t over the top cliches either. They are normal dudes, not cartoon characters.

I insulted the flamboyant feminine nature of the character in particular linked, as everyone with eyes and a clear mind would do judging by that linked “example” that I think was genuinely trolling.

Maybe that’s what some of the others are saying with the weeb or worse comments, but notice I’m not dropping gay insults for that reason of I have friends I respect

That said, if my gay friends ever showed up looking like that they are going to be made fun of by every male or female in existence. In fact, the husband would never let the other dress like that in public.

But yeah, many people don’t want to play a game that’s filled with characters who look ultra feminine, flamboyantly gay, a furry, or a child. Those are literally the options

Where’s the ugly races? Where’s the monster races? Ff14 could go a long way by adding just a few monster races with harsh features, who look evil

I want my characters to look evil, not dainty

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post

Where’s the ugly races? Where’s the monster races? Ff14 could go a long way by adding just a few monster races with harsh features, who look evil

So you want a Hrothgar? Granted they are not evil because there is no faction war or bad guys (except the Lalafell) but they are definitely the most monstrous looking by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    So you want a Hrothgar? Granted they are not evil because there is no faction war or bad guys (except the Lalafell) but they are definitely the most monstrous looking by far.
    I don’t want to play a thundercat furry

I want monsters with harsh features. That are evil looking, Even if not in reality. Something that hits the eye completely opposite of the current races. Hideous, monster races... not cat people, bunny people, or whatever sad excuse for dragon people that ar’ua (spell check) are.

Everything just looks like the most beautified version of everything in existence and it gives it a plastic Barbie adventure type feel.

Without the ugliness, you can’t really appreciate the beautiful

I do wish that we got the original Au Ra. Vicious dragonlings.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I do wish that we got the original Au Ra. Vicious dragonlings.
    Something more like the argonians in ESO.

Well I kinda accepted that all the really cool looking races will be stuck being beast tribes. Unless they fuck up the story, fishing and ninjas, it is not a dealbreaker for me.

Actually being gay is fine, what year do you think this is? 1997? some of my best friends are gay, I went to a gay wedding just last year... but they aren’t over the top cliches either. They are normal dudes, not cartoon characters.

I insulted the flamboyant feminine nature of the character in particular linked, as everyone with eyes and a clear mind would do judging by that linked “example” that I think was genuinely trolling.

Maybe that’s what some of the others are saying with the weeb or worse comments, but notice I’m not dropping gay insults for that reason of I have friends I respect

That said, if my gay friends ever showed up looking like that they are going to be made fun of by every male or female in existence. In fact, the husband would never let the other dress like that in public.

But yeah, many people don’t want to play a game that’s filled with characters who look ultra feminine, flamboyantly gay, a furry, or a child. Those are literally the options

@justandulas - I completely agree with you and your posts over the last few pages.
    People are using extremes to try and point you are wrong.

Wangming's avatar perfectly explains what I feel about this game... an emo teenager with sever social issues, in search of acceptance and looking like he's gonna cry if I look at him the way he doesn't like it.

About that picture from a few pages ago pointing the "manly" guy in game ... the only thing missing from that guy's hand is the leather whip.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    @justandulas - I completely agree with you and your posts over the last few pages.

Wangming's avatar perfectly explains what I feel about this game... an emo teenager with sever social issues, in search of acceptance and looking like he's gonna cry if I look at him the way he doesn't like it.

About that picture from a few pages ago pointing the "manly" guy in game ... the only thing missing from that guy's hand is the leather whip.
    that example was so aggressively feminine, i legit thought i was being trolled at first. He looks like how Rupert looks in Stewie Griffin's fantasies

All any raid boss has to do is rhythmically beatbox "Nnst Nnst Nnst Nnst Nnst Nnst" and he'd be too busy dancing to fight any more.

- - - Updated - - -

Another irony is that i said my other complaint with the ff14 community is just how thin skinned they are, by far the thinnest skin in the MMORPG landscape. And they've proven that 100% correct by dragging on one comment i made, which i said was subjective and just my opinion, into pages of "Nuh uh you're wrong and this ultra flamboyant boy with painted on facial hair and his hand on his hip is THE DEFINITION OF ALL THAT IS MAN"

I can say i dislike this or that about wow or ESO, and no one bats an eye, but heavensword forbid (pun intended) i insult the art style or the gcd, or the aoe snapshot bosses do that i hate.... to ff14 fans, not liking something about their game is a straight afront to them rather than a /shrug and move on with your day moment like it would be if i said "i don't think the furry fox people belong in WoW".

Hell, i even said i didn't like Wildstar's disney/pixar looking art style too and NOBODY said a word, but i call FF14 artstyle feminine (which it is) and they take it as me calling them feminine or something. Ridiculous
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-06-15 at 12:00 PM.

Something more like the argonians in ESO.

Well I kinda accepted that all the really cool looking races will be stuck being beast tribes. Unless they fuck up the story, fishing and ninjas, it is not a dealbreaker for me.
    Playing as an Au Ra Dragoon with a vested interest in rebuilding the Firmament does scratch that draconic itch well enough for me. Certainly more than WoW does, even though WoW arguably has more of a focus on draconic lore... it just isn't present in the playable options.

It's worth mentioning the character in that avatar looks like a middle-aged man and he's a sassy villainous quiplord, that shot is just him making a goofy face.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Here's the thing, though - FFXIV's art style is pretty. It's sharp and clean. It's well-defined and stylish. And... that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't say that it's inherently feminine, nor would I argue that a feminine art style would be an inherent negative... but I can see how some would see it that way. And that's a personal thing. I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

Characters like Alphinaud and Emet-Selch are effeminate. In fact, collectively, they exemplify everything I dislike in JRPGs and tends to drive me away from them. Yet... due to the strength of the storytelling, I care for them as characters. I felt something for them during their character arcs. That is so rare for me to actually care about a fictional character. And all of this is in spite of a style that does not appeal to me. Quite an accomplishment.

Here's the thing, though - FFXIV's art style is pretty. It's sharp and clean. It's well-defined and stylish. And... that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't say that it's inherently feminine, nor would I argue that a feminine art style would be an inherent negative... but I can see how some would see it that way. And that's a personal thing. I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

Characters like Alphinaud and Emet-Selch are effeminate. In fact, collectively, they exemplify everything I dislike in JRPGs and tends to drive me away from them. Yet... due to the strength of the storytelling, I care for them as characters. I felt something for them during their character arcs. That is so rare for me to actually care about a fictional character. And all of this is in spite of a style that does not appeal to me. Quite an accomplishment.
    The thing is, I just listed the feminine art style as my subjective opinion of why I don’t main ff14. It’s the most feminine art style of any major mmorpg, or any ff game arguably.

And that’s fine, plenty of people like it. Just because I said the characters look feminine doesn’t mean I’m calling everyone who plays ff14 that. There’s a difference

And I Said it was subjective like all art is and even used wildstar as another example of art style that I disliked and why

There’s no reason for ff14 fans to be offended over people calling the art feminine and soft looking. Some people enjoy that as soon by the ridiculous bunny man trailer where he’s literally wearing women’s clothing in the trailer.

art is subjective to the viewer tho, and the art for ff14 doesn’t work for me. And that’s ok too

The thing is, I just listed the feminine art style as my subjective opinion of why I don’t main ff14. It’s the most feminine art style of any major mmorpg, or any ff game arguably.

And that’s fine, plenty of people like it. Just because I said the characters look feminine doesn’t mean I’m calling everyone who plays ff14 that. There’s a difference

And I Said it was subjective like all art is and even used wildstar as another example of art style that I disliked and why

There’s no reason for ff14 fans to be offended over people calling the art feminine and soft looking. Some people enjoy that as soon by the ridiculous bunny man trailer where he’s literally wearing women’s clothing in the trailer.

art is subjective to the viewer tho, and the art for ff14 doesn’t work for me. And that’s ok too
    I think some might be bothered by the assertion that the entire game is about those "bad apple" examples. Like the Male Viera trailer... no one in my entire guild cared at all. There's just a really loud subset of FFXIV players that are too much into the typical anime tropes and all that "waifu" or whatever BS... and they make the rest of us in the community look like we're just as rabid for that stuff as they are. So when someone comes along and their only impression of the game is from the weirdos, they want to "correct" that perception.

And they happened to do so overly aggressively.

I think some might be bothered by the assertion that the entire game is about those "bad apple" examples. Like the Male Viera trailer... no one in my entire guild cared at all. There's just a really loud subset of FFXIV players that are too much into the typical anime tropes and all that "waifu" or whatever BS... and they make the rest of us in the community look like we're just as rabid for that stuff as they are. So when someone comes along and their only impression of the game is from the weirdos, they want to "correct" that perception.

And they happened to do so overly aggressively.
    Yeah, notice I keep my complaints to the character models themselves and not the gamers behind the keyboard. There is a difference and great people do play ff14, but man that community is so thin skinned sometimes and take everything so personally when someone doesn’t like ff14 for this or that.

But I mean come on, you saw that example a few pages ago right? Dude was trying to sell that picture as manly and it’s so flamboyantly over the top I honestly thought I was being trolled

Most characters don’t even look that feminine, so why would someone link that example other than to troll?

Yeah, notice I keep my complaints to the character models themselves and not the gamers behind the keyboard. There is a difference and great people do play ff14, but man that community is so thin skinned sometimes and take everything so personally when someone doesn’t like ff14 for this or that.

But I mean come on, you saw that example a few pages ago right? Dude was trying to sell that picture as manly and it’s so flamboyantly over the top I honestly thought I was being trolled

Most characters don’t even look that feminine, so why would someone link that example other than to troll?
    Honestly, I missed that. I'm going to assume they linked the joke character Hildebrand?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, they linked a kinky-transmogged PC... gross.

Honestly, I missed that. I'm going to assume they linked the joke character Hildebrand?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, they linked a kinky-transmogged PC... gross.
    Post 1107 on page 56. I swear I honestly thought I was being trolled at first but they doubled down on that being what a true man looks like lol

This guy here is my favourite character. Still FF style, but not... whatever that was.

A couple examples of characters I would consider to be masculine. Still very Final Fantasy, but they have little to do with that... "aesthetic"... some fans of FFXIV tend to push.

Edit: Eh, dead links, my bad. Look up Estinien for the upper, Varis yae Galvus for the lower.

My only problem right now is im stuck on a main quest and if i can not beat me my gameplay ends here/

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1 View Post
    My only problem right now is im stuck on a main quest and if i can not beat me my gameplay ends here/
    What quest? The MSQ shouldn't be too much of a roadblock unless you just hate grouping with people.

3+ Year Old Account
    The art style, sadly.

I don't like it, it's really ugly to me. The character models all look really whimsical and feminine, even the guys.