Thread: Elden Ring

Page 6 of 123 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Fresh world, fresh themes, cool. They could've added fresh aesthetics to that mindset in my opinion. Hell, if Elden Ring ends up being vastly different in areas we haven't seen yet I'll gladly eat my words, but for what they showed us it really doesn't feel fresh. More like enhanced, here and there.
    Yeah I mean, I suppose the point some of us are making is that we don't really mind. I'd definitely play the shit out of Dark Souls 4

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems that Elden Ring is to Dark Souls what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls. Similar themes and combat style, but expanding the game in new ways and also creating a different universe with its own lore.

Miyazaki says its the culmination of all the lessons he's learned from all the Soulsborne games. Regardless, no one does it like From Software, so if they want to keep making games in this style, I'm all for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    I'm sorry, but I can hardly find the similarities between Diablo and WoW outside of the basic undead creatures who are present in every video game. And even Warcraft and Starcraft, who are both RTS games have a completely different design.
    Zerglings and felhounds, Duriel and Hydralisk, Protoss and Draenei, and the same over proportioned gaudy character builds.

Well, it's fun to discuss this, but we can't tell how good or bad the game will be by a trailer.

I am reading these opinions on the trailer and I keep thinking how important context is on each opinion.

Context is important, because Dark Souls is very polarizing to a general audience(imo). Reading opinions about the trailer is difficult to learn from, because again the polarizing nature of the game can create some pretty strong emotions on both sides. Very rarely do I find a gamer without strong opinions on the subject, even if they have never played an actual Soulsborne game(or usually, just not played one for long).

As for me, I'm a huge fan of Souls and Bloodborne, so this looks like the best game ever made, so you can see how context is important for my opinion, as you realize I am a Fromsoft fan. That said, once again, one can't really judge a book by its cover or a game by its trailer. We have a tendency to think we can, thus the need for that old saying.

I can say this, however. If you have tried a Soulsborne in the past and hated it, if you are ever in the mindset again, it may be worth another try. There is a moment in every single one of these games when you suddenly realize how it all works together and just how simple it is, and then you become really good at it, lol. That is how the games are designed(not counting Sekiro), there is an illusion of difficulty and pettiness that at some point is simply seen through by the player. This point varies for everyone, but I've never seen it fail to materialize. I will also say that the majority of superfans I know IRL all started one of these games, quit and hated it, and then later restarted. Somehow, that seems to be more common in these games and gives an extra bit of affection for the game to many people, imo. It's always great to quit something, and come back later and find out that it was great afterall, lol. If you've never done that with a game, it really is quite a good feeling.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-06-15 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Will there be an easy mode? xD
    Easy mode is clearly if an in-game map system is included. So probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It seems that Elden Ring is to Dark Souls what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls. Similar themes and combat style, but expanding the game in new ways and also creating a different universe with its own lore.

Miyazaki says its the culmination of all the lessons he's learned from all the Soulsborne games. Regardless, no one does it like From Software, so if they want to keep making games in this style, I'm all for it.
    The highlighted section is pure hype injected in my veins.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Will there be an easy mode? xD
    Have good players join you who do all the work while you sit back using your bow, dying to the occasional completely easy to avoid mechanics thrown your way...

Another big dose of hype incoming:

All of it sounds great.

Looks really cool but theres no chance ill be any good at it, I found games like God of War to be really fun but still challenging, I find games like dark souls to be a little too unforgiven unless you play a gimmick

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    I'm sorry, but I can hardly find the similarities between Diablo and WoW outside of the basic undead creatures who are present in every video game. And even Warcraft and Starcraft, who are both RTS games have a completely different design.
    I don't think there's any denying that wow has borrowed a lot from Diablo in recent years in terms of content. WQ's which when completed in a certain zone giving bounties/caches as a daily form of gameplay and the m+ system being very much like greater rifts being the two biggest examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I don't think there's any denying that wow has borrowed a lot from Diablo in recent years in terms of content. WQ's which when completed in a certain zone giving bounties/caches as a daily form of gameplay and the m+ system being very much like greater rifts being the two biggest examples.
    I'd agree with expeditions being directly borrowed from D3 but I guess D3 already had taken a lot from WoW since they wanted to switch to a semi MMO experience and I guess they wanted to appeal to the MMO crowd since both are RPG.

I'd disagree with M+ being borrowed from D3 tho. M+ was only the evolution of challenge mode which was here for D3 vanilla (who didn't had any rift or so, they only appeared in RoS or in a RoS update, not quite sure for this) even if they borrowed the idea from another MMO. I think it was GW2 who had a dungeon mode that was growing up in power ?

Anyway, even if those mechanics are similar, they're only small gears in a bigger machinery and doesn't add the same experience to their respective game since you don't have affixes in grift for example (will come in D4 tho) or the WoW exploration system is meant to be done daily where D3 is meant to be instantly repeatable. But I should have been more accurate in my message, that outside of what's now considered to be the basic elements of RPG / RTS game, there's hardly similarities between those game in term of aesthetic and game feeling.

Steam page is up. Current release date set for January 20th.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool armor set.

I love those heroic horse leaping shots. Really hoping the mounts feels great like horse riding in Shadow of the Colossus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still trying to contain my hype, but holy fuck am I so excited for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    unfortunately this is a very souls game so I will not be playing it as I do not have the patience or skill to be good at these games, But I will watch someone play it for the story :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    unfortunately this is a very souls game so I will not be playing it as I do not have the patience or skill to be good at these games, But I will watch someone play it for the story :P
    Why not give these games a try? They are legit mega worth it even if it takes you many tries.

Everyone was you at some point, but those who got over it are happy they did.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm really not all that hyped but i wasn't for sekiro either and that blew me away and i think it's the best from game so we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Why not give these games a try? They are legit mega worth it even if it takes you many tries.

Everyone was you at some point, but those who got over it are happy they did.
    He literally told you why, he doesn't have the patience. I don't blame him either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    He literally told you why, he doesn't have the patience. I don't blame him either.
    well that and I have tried them, I just suck at them. The idea of constantly dying to the same thing over and over isn't fun to me. the combat isn't that enticing to me either. I do love watching others play it though, its just not for me. One of mnay game franchises that everyone loves but I just cannot get into.... It like when I never caught on to Pogs at school... boy did I feel like an outcast for 6 months lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    well that and I have tried them, I just suck at them. The idea of constantly dying to the same thing over and over isn't fun to me. the combat isn't that enticing to me either. I do love watching others play it though, its just not for me. One of mnay game franchises that everyone loves but I just cannot get into.... It like when I never caught on to Pogs at school... boy did I feel like an outcast for 6 months lol
    I don't suck at them. I played the original Demons Souls. I found it to be not that difficult. It's just those types of games are too slow paced for my liking. Same with MH. They seem right up my alley but the pacing and combat just doesn't do it for me.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    What is this game? I've never seen it before.