Thread: Euro 2020

Page 8 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Strange decision to wait the end of the offensive movement to signal an offside, very frustrating and time wasting, what's the reason behind it?
    Happened twice in the game.

It's been many years like this. Reason is to give referees more time to be sure about their decision, not to force them to signal it immediately when the ball was played.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

It's been many years like this. Reason is to give referees more time to be sure about their decision, not to force them to signal it immediately when the ball was played.
    not really
    in the past, the line referee would immediately lift their flag. the runner would stop his course upon hearing the whistle from the pitch referee

15+ Year Old Account
    Smart Greenpeace(?) that parachute dood stunt just nudged some of the crowd in 1070 zillion km/h and made two people be brought to hospital with smashed face and another with propeller damage.

What the hell.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

not really
    in the past, the line referee would immediately lift their flag. the runner would stop his course upon hearing the whistle from the pitch referee
    And if the referee was wrong this would stop a legitimate attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    And if the referee was wrong this would stop a legitimate attempt.
    I like the one in the Hungry-Portugal game where the linesman waited what seemed to be 10 seconds waiting on the offensive player to dribble a good 10-15 yards beat a man and have a shot before raising the flag of offense. All the time looking for a foul or something else. Was almost comical honestly.

not really
    They can now check it afterwards to make sure if was a legimitate goal or not. For example, the Benzema goal would have stood in a normal game, the linesman thought it was onside, but VAR showed it was offside. Nowadays we see a lot of more clear offsides going through only to get whistled later, only because of the possibility to check it later. That being said, some of the calls should and could be called straight away, for example the Hungary goal was quite clear.

- - - Updated - - -

I was not that impressed by France tbf, they played a perfect "just get the win"-game though. They were quite boring imo (which is of course allowed). Germany got quite easily through their midfield, able to drive with the ball with their body towards their goal, but their last passes were poor which resulted in them not creating many dangerous chances. France defended their box really well, won almost every ball in there. Despite France's offense being extremely good, they did not manage to score either.

Hopefully all three teams: Portugal, France and Germany can get through from the group, would make for some good games in the next round.

Today Finland play against Russia. Feeling kinda optimistic, a draw would almost guarantee that we go through which would be a miracle. Let's have a Pukki party!

Strange decision to wait the end of the offensive movement to signal an offside, very frustrating and time wasting, what's the reason behind it?
    Happened twice in the game.
    The referees are instructed to wait with offside calls since VAR has been introduced, especially in goal scoring opportunities. The idea is to let the players score and then check it later if it was suspicious instead of interrupting play and possibly making a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    France looked good in parts, Germany didn't look good at all. I think Germany might struggle to get out of the group phase, they offered absolutely no attacking threat at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    France`s team is just a lot better than the german team - nothing more to say. France deserved to win.
    we miss a lot of class in the offense.

How could people not be impressed by France. Composed, disciplined, aggressive when needed, fast, physically and technically superior. They were playing Germany, not North Macedonia like, and they still made it look easy enough. So far the best team I've seen. And that's their first game. I can only imagine what happens once they find their own rhythm going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mymight View Post
    I for one am not. When they will meet teams with more prowess (see Belgium), they will start throwing themselves on the ground and play the most boring football ever, like in the 2018 semifinal. Can't wait for Belgium to kick their asses and send them back eating fries (a quote from the French media who attacked our team two days ago).
    They played Germany, not Angola, and made quick work of it. Your point is not really standing. Plus, on what do you base your team's prowess, on their match with Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Mymight View Post
    Who is Germany? Certainly not the team who won the World cup 7 years ago. It's a second class team, with no teeth.

Belgium is world's No.1 for a reason. Not just because of the Russia game. We are having fun with every team with face, that's what I call prowess.
    Germany is a world class team that's never going to be second class, simply due to the high quality of their football schools. Belgium is a newcomer that still has to prove themselves at world level. Come back when you win something
    Paper charts are useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Russia what a goal! He could try 100 times he's never going to do that again!

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, Cringefest is to an extent right. While Belgium might be ranked No.1 on paper, we've yet to prove ourselves. Coming 3rd at the last World Cup was a start I guess, but if we really want to go around and brag about being World No.1 ranked, we need to actually win something too. While I would like Belgium to go all the way in this tournament, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I mean, Cringefest is to an extent right. While Belgium might be ranked No.1 on paper, we've yet to prove ourselves. Coming 3rd at the last World Cup was a start I guess, but if we really want to go around and brag about being World No.1 ranked, we need to actually win something too. While I would like Belgium to go all the way in this tournament, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
    Belgium has a world class generation but aren't most of them getting a bit old? This might be their last chance to win something with that generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    Germany is a world class team that's never going to be second class, simply due to the high quality of their football schools. Belgium is a newcomer that still has to prove themselves at world level. Come back when you win something
    Paper charts are useless.
    England aren't a passable team because they won the world cup once either. Germany's form since the last world cup has been poor, I think they were knocked out in the group stages then, so it's not really surprising that an unsettled side with poor form, still seemingly experimenting with players and formations, just aren't looking good. I mean shit, are you really surprised Havertz and Werner did nothing last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    England aren't a passable team because they won the world cup once either. Germany's form since the last world cup has been poor, I think they were knocked out in the group stages then, so it's not really surprising that an unsettled side with poor form, still seemingly experimenting with players and formations, just aren't looking good. I mean shit, are you really surprised Havertz and Werner did nothing last night?
    All I'm saying is you can't write Germany off like mymight was suggesting. It's like Italy, they might not be the memorable bunch they were in their golden days, on paper, but still really dangerous and always a top team.

Between scoring 3 to Russia and winning confidently 1-0 against Germany I'd consider the latter as more impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly entertaining match there between Finland and Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    All I'm saying is you can't write Germany off like mymight was suggesting. It's like Italy, they might not be the memorable bunch they were in their golden days, on paper, but still really dangerous and always a top team.
    Of course, it's not a Good/Bad binary. Would a Germany v Italy final be a surprise? Yes. Would it be as big a surprise as Finland v North Macedonia? Absolutely not.

Brilliant goal for Wales!

Bye, Turkey!

Great result for Wales!