Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I'm still on Windows 7...

Just HOW stupid is that? I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?

maybe wait a few months for windows 11 or whatever its called (10x) xD

Same, same.

I had to use wufuc to break shit so I could have windows 'run' my i7 8700k, cause they basically blocked it.
    Literal bullshit.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    Wut. It takes less than 2 mins to remove all that stuff. This is my start menu.

Windows 10 is fine, and better in many regards to Windows 7.

Just HOW stupid is that?
    Fairly stupid.

I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap
    So your friends anecdotal issues that can be entirely traced to his not understanding how to check actual benchmarks and stuff convinced you to stay on a less secure, less efficient, slower OS? Cool story.

Win 10 has been faster on the same hardware since day 1. It is LESS bloated than 10. All that telemetry that people complained about in Win 10? Win 7 collects ALL OF THAT TOO, except you CANT SHUT IT OFF, in Win 10 you can disable it all in just a few clicks.

. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff.
    What tiles? Windows 10 is not Windows 8. The only "tiles" are in the Start Menu and you can shut those off with two clicks.

Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    It was never messy. In fact, the main draw of 10 over 8 was that it was much more streamlined and like 7, rolling back all the weird hybrid tablet ideas (which can still be enabled on Win 10 tablets but are off by default).

And as for it "just working" - yeah, there are lots of things that dont. The ass-backwards DX12 implementation on 7 is only half-featured. DXR, etc, dont work. No ray tracing. No DLSS. Terrible software scheduler (meaning it will make garbage use of multiple cores compared to Win 10), etc, etc etc.

Anyone telling you otherwise is either lying and/or so stupid they were incapable of shutting off the very few annoying features with a handful of clicks.

And anyone expecting Windows 11 to be a big departure from 10 needs a serious wakeup call.

Microsoft is treating Windows like Apple treats OSX/MacOS. Its just incremental upgrades from here on out kids.

Quit being a luddite.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had to upgrade as some games stopped supporting 7
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I know someone that is still on xp, said something similar to the OP.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    All that telemetry that people complained about in Win 10? Win 7 collects ALL OF THAT TOO, except you CANT SHUT IT OFF, in Win 10 you can disable it all in just a few clicks.
    Oh God. This was always something that pissed me off when building new PC's/upgrading them for people. "I don't want Windows 10, it collects all my data, install Windows 7 for me". Trying to explain that Windows 7 did the exact same thing, and then getting told " but X and Y said this and that". Go ask X and Y to do this then, seeing as they seem to be such experts. Oh yeah, that's right, they know fuck-all.

Mind you this was the same kind of people that posted shit to Facebook/instagram/twitter every 10 mins with random shit. " I don't want Microsoft knowing everything I do or say". Bitch, please. You do that on social media anyways....

I thought Windows 10 was going to be their last OS and that they would just keep updating it. Does M$ need the money or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to trade security risks for making tweaks to Win10, I guess there's no reason to upgrade.

Even if you don't off Win10s data collection, most of it is anonymous data or stuff to build a personal IoT suite for you.

You phone regardless of OS collects more data you can't control than Win10.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

???
    It's literally just windows 10, it's not an iPhone where your hand is FORCED to have bloatware. You can debloat windows by clicking uninstall on things and turning things off in the settings. Or use the easy debloat tool. On windows 7 you don't really have much options for this, just because it looks cleaner on the surface.

The whole telemetry and data collecting might be less on Windows 7, but they still collect the same kind of data on you, but once security updates run out then you'll risk this data going to hackers instead. At least on windows 10 the built in defender is just as good, or if not better than software defenders. On windows 7 you still need to rely on those.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, fun fact

Windows 11 has been revealed, check google right now.
    It's almost a carbon copy of 10, but with additional features and a little more modern UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxy View Post
    I thought Windows 10 was going to be their last OS and that they would just keep updating it. Does M$ need the money or something?
    they still get money from Windows...

people change Computer every 5-10 years and have to buy a new windows everytime, so it's almost the same.

Just HOW stupid is that? I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    You're missing security updates and things like that from Microsoft. You're opening yourself up to every piece of malware out there.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

I actually embraced the tiles. Helped me clean up the desktop.

There was something weird with this post. I don't know if there was intentionally a picture there or not, but it was borking post itself. I've removed the 'extraneous' stuff. ~Chazus
    Last edited by chazus; 2021-06-16 at 02:47 AM.

When Windows 10 first came out, I did not like it at all. I really hated the start button menu for windows 10. The start button menu for windows 10 reminded me of an android phone app.
    I really liked Windows 7. I liked the menus in it. It was very reliable and easy to use.
    I made a dual boot of windows 7 and windows 10.
    I began to notice how much faster everything worked on windows 10. I also found a program that would make the start button menu for windows 10 look like the start button menu in Windows 7. This is the program: http://www.classicshell.net/

I would still like a dual boot with windows 7 and windows 10. I would like to run some old games on windows 7 that work better on it. I think I can get just about all of them to run on windows 10.

Also, you can use the key for your windows 7 for windows 10 legitimately. I believe it has to be windows 7 home for windows 10 home. I would make a dual boot and see how you like it.

Concerned about telemetry? Add a pi-hole to your network and use it as your DNS server. Stop complaining about telemetry and analytics on Facebook while ever you agree to use those platforms. You've already likely handed over lots of data to them. Understand that just about every device and app you use is using some form of analytics. I'll be the first to admit that I don't care too much if they're using it to market products or services to me - I know what I want to buy, and I find a way to get it. While you're at it, stop using Chrome, Edge, Firefox... well, just about every browser, because all of them collects some analytics information.

Hate tiles? You can remove them, but honestly, having quick access to programs in small groups is something you get used to.

Bloatware? There's none that starts up by default on a regular Windows 10 installation. The bloatware that's there are games, and you can remove them.

Think it looks ugly? Change the theme. Use a skinning app. I dunno about you, but I spend significantly more time staring at VS Code, pages in Chrome, games, or other programs than I do staring at how Windows looks. I haven't even seen my desktop in at least 6 years, except the times I reboot and the 1 time I reinstalled Windows (unrelated, but a leaky driver seemed to be causing BSOD's).

I'm not a fan of the settings app in general, but Control Panel still exists. If it didn't, I'm sure someone would have made a program to emulate it. The only things I need semi-regular access to is network settings and power settings, and the control panel applets provide better control than the W10 settings panel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxy View Post
    Well, yes they do. But they won't be making any 'additional' money off of it. you either switch, or dont, and the license costs the same. That's like saying a company offering two flavors of ice cream is somehow 'getting more money' from you even if you only pick one of them.

That said, Win10 was supposed to be the last Windows, I believe the intention was just to change it from "Windows 10" to "Windows" and the version number would just be all under-the-hood stuff.

That said, with Windows 10X getting axed, and Windows 11 having most of the features 10X had, I suspect a large portion of this is some kind of legal or regulation snafu and this is how it's getting spun.

THAT SAID
    Windows 10 1909 = build 18363
    Windows 10 2004 = build 19041
    Windows 10 20H2 = build 19042
    Windows 10 21H1 = build 19043
    Windows 11 Curr = build 21996

To me that says that Windows 11, whatever it is, is a large software build jump from the current setup.. But also that it is basically just a "newer version of Windows 10" with 11 slapped on it. You could just as easily call it "Windows 10 for 2022" or something and still be accurate/right.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I always use Open Shell (from github) for windows 10, its a great start menu replacement.
    Windows 10 is full of bad features (anything "xbox/gaming", MS bloatware apps etc) and spyware but honestly it does have some QOLife upgrades.
    Also the performance in terms of games is good though i have to say i occasionally get "blue screens" which hasn't happened in win7 in years.

If you are using the PC for gaming (or other demanding tasks) MAKE SURE you manually download the latest official drivers/software for chipset/motherboard, SSDs and GPU (you can also consider sound chip and network drivers).
    Sadly windows update still sucks when it comes to drivers, it will often install generic drivers that are significantly outdated (even when you manually tell it to update drivers for a specific device).

And if you do not use hibernation consider disabling it (easy through CMD), that feature is nothing but trouble since its creation.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2021-06-16 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn20 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the settings app in general, but Control Panel still exists.
    They're slowly but surely chipping away at that. The "System" panel in Control Panel is gone in the current build. It's still there, but goes to the Win10 Settings section instead of the old Win7 System panel.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing can be done to convince people to switch to windows 10. Just live with the meme that windows 10 is spyware