Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Macbook Pro M1 Vs Intel?

9 out of my 10 lab memebers have a Macbook, it gets frustrating that they are unable to help me in an efficient way when I hit a brick wall. So after using windows all my life i'm now considering on buying a Macbook Pro for work.

I would use the computer for: Data analysis in the realm of Neuroimaging/Genetics. Everything is based on Matlab/Python/R. All of the tools are also available for Linux, but I refuse to touch it. It took me HOURS to install the correct version of R on a linux computer. Just no.

What's the general consensus on the new M1 Processors? With what i've been reading, it's REALLY risky to buy one of them now. Should I just buy a (more expensive) Intel version?
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2021-05-11 at 04:15 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Most of the software is not yet compatible with these new processors but I heard they are extremely fast and don't need fan for the cooling systems. I would just wait if I were you.

10+ Year Old Account
    M1 macbooks are newer. Intel equipped models are last-gen. They have a very limited shelf-life as Apple will probably not support them going forward.

The M1 equipped models are also capable of emulating x86 architecture to a certain extent. I'd suggest finding out if the programs you're working with have been ported to work on ARM

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Most of the software is not yet compatible with these new processors but I heard they are extremely fast and don't need fan for the cooling systems. I would just wait if I were you.
    This is incorrect. Almost all macOS software that runs on Intel processors will run on M-series Macs via Rosetta 2 emulation. In many cases, the speed boost from the M1 allows software to run faster in emulation than it did natively on Intel. The only software that is flat-out incompatible are apps that address specific elements of older Macs, such as utilities that make bootable mirrors of boot drives. Major software developers like Adobe have confirmed that some of their applications already run natively on the M1, while the rest run in Rosetta 2, and have native M-series versions of those apps in public beta.

I would recommend investigating the specific apps that you use to see if they have been updated to run natively on Apple Silicon, or if they are any of the relative few that need to be reworked to use the new architecture.
    Last edited by Vektorix; 2021-05-11 at 04:41 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektorix View Post
    This is incorrect. Almost all macOS software that runs on Intel processors will run on M-series Macs via Rosetta 2 emulation. In many cases, the speed boost from the M1 allows software to run faster in emulation than it did natively on Intel. The only software that is flat-out incompatible are apps that address specific elements of older Macs, such as utilities that make bootable mirrors of boot drives. Major software developers like Adobe have confirmed that some of their applications already run natively on the M1, while the rest run in Rosetta 2, and have native M-series versions of those apps in public beta.

I would recommend investigating the specific apps that you use to see if they have been updated to run natively on Apple Silicon, or if they are any of the relative few that need to be reworked to use the new architecture.
    There is still specific software that is incompatible. Speaking of some professional video editing or music production programs. I don't know what is Rosetta 2 emulation so I wont be speaking more of this.

I would not buy an M1. The M2 could be released as early as July 2021.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    There is still specific software that is incompatible. Speaking of some professional video editing or music production programs. I don't know what is Rosetta 2 emulation so I wont be speaking more of this.
    Rosetta 2 is Apples interpretation layer, which runs in conjunction with the silicon to allow x86 processes to run on ARM.
    I'm not sure how well it works, but there are non-ARM programs that run pretty well on the M1 thanks to Rosetta 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    9 out of my 10 lab memebers have a Macbook, it gets frustrating that they are unable to help me in an efficient way when I hit a brick wall. So after using windows all my life i'm now considering on buying a Macbook Pro for work.

I would use the computer for: Data analysis in the realm of Neuroimaging/Genetics. Everything is based on Matlab/Python/R. All of the tools are also available for Linux, but I refuse to touch it. It took me HOURS to install the correct version of R on a linux computer. Just no.

What's the general consensus on the new M1 Processors? With what i've been reading, it's REALLY risky to buy one of them now. Should I just buy a (more expensive) Intel version?
    Apple Macbook Air M1 is the only one worth your money currently. It's a lot faster than intels, the Pro and Air are same on M1. Pro just has touchbar for extra 200 dollars.

Also not sure if it's any easier to get correct version of R on macbook or windows

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Apple Macbook Air M1 is the only one worth your money currently. It's a lot faster than intels, the Pro and Air are same on M1. Pro just has touchbar for extra 200 dollars.

Also not sure if it's any easier to get correct version of R on macbook or windows
    Pro also has active cooling, which the air lacks.
    As for whether it's needed or not, I can't comment, it depends on how much and how long it'll be used without breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    As for whether it's needed or not, I can't comment, it depends on how much and how long it'll be used without breaks
    Even on 10 minute cpu tasks should still be equal. Remember it lasting a long time. Games maybe different but for statistics and coding shouldn't matter.

Go for the M1; they're super fast and most software has already been updated to work with M architecture. Also, the M1X is about to get released.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-05-25 at 06:35 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    LTT got pretty significant gains between the two sustained and got a lot of extra performance by repasting the MBA IIRC, so if not having to try to pry into the MBA is worth 200$, then id say the Pro still has a purpose.

I would almost certainly buy an M1 if I needed a new Mac right now. It is clearly the way forward for Apple for the next era. Plus I'm hearing great performance and battery. Only reason I'd buy an Intel based Mac right now is if I needed Intel compatibility.

If you are going to be using it for productivity work such as software development then get the Intel based one. At work everyone but me is using Intel based MacBooks for software development (Ruby/RoR). It is still too early to get the M1 based one.

From what I've read the difference is in if you're doing AVX/x86 worksets.

Either way, prob worth the wait for M2 and the intel stuff later this year.
    Last edited by willtron; 2021-06-04 at 11:28 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

7+ Year Old Account
    Either is totally fine. I avoid Apple whenever I can but if everyone around me used Apple I would simply switch to make everything easier.
    If your programs are computationally intensive then an Intel processor made for workstations would be better than an Apple M1. A lot of that kind of work can utilize matrices which allow for parallel processing on a workstation.

It depends on what you're doing though, if you're rarely ever waiting around for one of your programs to finish then I would say you shouldn't even care about the speed and specs until you get to that point. Having powerful computer hardware isn't terribly important unless you're working with something that is time-sensitive and you need to squeeze out as much performance as you can at each point in time.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-06-05 at 08:21 PM.

It took me HOURS to install the correct version of R on a linux computer. Just no.
    you kidding? You just have to type 4 words lol

Anyways... Yes, buy the M1 macbooks, they are awesome. I'd buy the air and then upgrade to the M2 if you really need it.

Wait for the next pro and get it - the processor absolutely blows anything Intel is offering rn. I couldn't believe the difference making the switch, having tried both Intel and AMD chips.

No fans, no heat, battery works like magic, extremely impressive performance. I imagine the next upgrade will bring a lot more, as that was the first of the series.

Don't forget M1 is literally a tablet CPU - only 4 cores, very weak GPU and 16 GB RAM. If that's enough for you - go ahead and buy it. If you need serious power - wait for M2 or M1X or w/e or buy Intel.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Don't forget M1 is literally a tablet CPU - only 4 cores, very weak GPU and 16 GB RAM. If that's enough for you - go ahead and buy it. If you need serious power - wait for M2 or M1X or w/e or buy Intel.
    ... Wat?
    Have you not watched reviews? The m1 outperformed apples Intel based models in like 95% of use cases.