Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    It was not the same thing at all, not even close.

Simply because WoW was at its absolute peak in quality of content and it was still a rather fresh and growing game back in the 2006 / 2010 era.
    All of those games came out in 2011 when wow was on its first downwards trend and people were saying all of the same things rather it be activsion had taken over, ghost crawler was killing the game, every one is moving to X other games, nothing has changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Well I admit I don’t trust the website in question, they even have wildstar having players still which... well, we both know that’s not true

That said, some of their metrics such as activity outside of the game does point in the direction of ff14, and every WoW player I know except 1 has left SL and my guild has literally raided since vanilla without a break... until SL

SL has basically turned my circle of WoW friends into ghosts, or playing classic tbc, or ff14 and patch 9.1 won’t be bringing most of them back

Ff14 and ESO both are gaining clear momentum, and outside of tbc, SL is not and it’s clear it’s lost any momentum it’s had

Plus, even if you like it, bfa was the most negatively received WoW expac ever. To follow bfa up with SL is the death of WoW to many
    Ah your talking about mmo population, ya that site is complete bull just using made up numbers and then cross referencing them with Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    All of those games came out in 2011 when wow was on its first downwards trend and people were saying all of the same things rather it be activsion had taken over, ghost crawler was killing the game, every one is moving to X other games, nothing has changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah your talking about mmo population, ya that site is complete bull just using made up numbers and then cross referencing them with Reddit.
    I do think it’s probably true just based off personal experiences and chatter in my game circles, but yeah I do not trust that site at all. They legit still have wildstar having a healthy population

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I can’t see it being active players. The combat is awful and all I hear about it is how underwhelming the new content always is.
    I like it very much. The combat is not as engaging as that of asian MMOs but for me it is much more engaging and fun as WoWs combat. I played all the expansions, i really enjoyed them. They are smaller than WoWs expansion, usually only one or two zones but the zone is bigger and more packed than WOWs zones. The stories and quests are usually really good.
    I don't know if the raid-or-die crew likes it but for someone more casual that only wants to quest and do a few dungeons it's a great game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I do think it’s probably true just based off personal experiences and chatter in my game circles, but yeah I do not trust that site at all. They legit still have wildstar having a healthy population
    What ever the numbers are it’s safe to say there not at what ever mmo population says they are as they just divine life time accounts by Reddit but even in doing that they make up bull as they don’t go off of actual life time accounts they make up there own many times more Millions then officially announced.

As far as my own view on which is doing better, id say I lean towards wow being still ahead if for the only reason being that the reporting earnings between the two still seem like quite a large gap if the last super data report is any thing to go off of though with super data shutting down all we have to compare that is investors reports which I don’t believe break up earning by game in either company.

5+ Year Old Account
    You all should know that the MMO Riot Games are making, will be the one that swallows WoW's population. Now there is always going to be WoW players (i will be one of them) because Riots new MMO game doesnt have what WoW has and that is ofcourse the lore of Warcraft and all that shit you know so i gotta go there to get that. Now this all depends on if Riot can deliver a truly great MMO something that is well made with interesting lore and SMOOTH as butter gameplay. As a bare minimum it has to have WoW's responsive gameplay. I hope they deliver something greatand as much as i love the Warcraft universe, i WANT to fall in love with other stories the same way i did for Warcraft 3 up to World of Warcraft and i really think Riot CAN be the one to do that for me and all of us.

Time will tell we will see if they deliver im crossing my fingers thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    We are in a very different situation and OP is pretty accurate.
    I dont see it that way.

WoW tourists were allways looking for different games, since they cant stand ANY GAME for more than a few weeks before "burning" out - or lets call it what it is, not able to deal with the social part of this MMO or any other MMO.

WoW had allways something fun to do at every given time, but people choose to fixate on some niche and without social interaction of course its get dull and only the real hardcore grinders can enjoy the game played in such ways.

boohoo, nobody cares for hose players.

WoW got over time some mini games like M+ that attract more of this soloplayer type of players, who would normaly not stand any real MMO, so who really cares if the try a new game? They would try ANY GAME after a while, so nothing changes for WoW.

I remember every time when a "WoW killer" launched, it was allways the same community feedback to the new MMOs and it was the similar kind of WoW player that was willing to spend time for some B/C class MMO, that had never a chance to replace WoW.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    What year is it? This thread seems awfully familiar!

People have been out here screaming that WoW is dead because the new devs/new expansion/new something is awful since TBC. Back when conspiracy theorists said that Kaplan was killing the game by balancing PvP around his girlfriend, as evidenced by supposedly naming a badge cloak for her.
    I believe the major difference you're looking at in your comparison is that you're comparing a growing and massive player base to one that has been shrinking and falling apart for a decade. I'm not trying to say wow is dead or whatever but the health of the game during BC in terms of population was objectively superior to anything we've seen in years at this point.

The game at this point really has been dying and right now we're in a super long dry spell right at the start of an expansion. It would be amazing if this weren't the lowest point for retail WoW ever rather than it being a game coming up and growing. I don't even want to get into the whole game vs game thing and I'd rather just stick to the part where retail wow is pretty much trash right now and isn't doing much to hold onto its players
    Last edited by Erolian; 2021-06-16 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    What ever the numbers are it’s safe to say there not at what ever mmo population says they are as they just divine life time accounts by Reddit but even in doing that they make up bull as they don’t go off of actual life time accounts they make up there own many times more Millions then officially announced.

As far as my own view on which is doing better, id say I lean towards wow being still ahead if for the only reason being that the reporting earnings between the two still seem like quite a large gap if the last super data report is any thing to go off of though with super data shutting down all we have to compare that is investors reports which I don’t believe break up earning by game in either company.
    While i disagree on who i suspect is on top (i actually suspect both ff14 and wow are neck and neck and ESO is creeping on both too) i think we can both agree i don't agree with that websites numbers at all. They literally just admit they guesstimate things based on forum activity and sentiment feelings and crap. It's just nonsense.

even if ff14 is ahead, which i suspect it may be, i damn sure don't trust any # that site produces

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So..in short you say the same thing that the guy you quoted said. "...awfully familiar". Not least since you put in the bit about "The game at this point really has been dying" - adding the novelty word "really" as if so far everyone was wrong and it was only sort of dying.

And yeah...saying the playerbase is falling apart and now it is a different situation? "...awfully familiar"

But hey...make no mistake. I have been saying this since 2021 or so. Ofc WoW will shut down and die one day. Then everyone can once again crawl out from under the rocks and say "Told ya so"...in 2030...ish. Which I honestly don't even think is ridiculous that the game will still be played then.

Look at MMos (even like SWToR) that happily exists with much smaller numbers. I absolutely see two more x-pacs, even if sub numbers go down to 3 million or 1.5 million progressively.

Until then I am constantly amazed how people just look and point at WoW and not at the failure of other MMos to overtake that dying juggernaut.

Oh well..maybe Jeff Bezos will
    Hmm no its not familiar at all outside of maybe words that people choose to use. The point was that now vs then is completely different because we have data to prove that many many years ago people saying it were just flat out wrong and the game was actually growing and becoming more where as these days we have data to point to the exact opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Why would you pay and play for this
    I forgot to mention this. We're all paying monthly for the game - i find progressively more difficult to justify the subscriptions when i cannot get what i want out of it. So far, i stopped playing multiple times before SL just to promptly return. Which isn't bad imho, it's just what i would do if i jumped from game to game; hell it's even cheaper compared to buy a new game each month or so.

But when you start considering how much you're spending and not getting "enough" from it (which is different for every player) something's not working right imo.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    and other game developers are taking advantage of it.

It just dawned on me while I was sat here, there doesn't have to be a singular WoW killer, with companies like Amazon, Riot, and Singularity 6 (and more) coming out with their own MMO's. All that has to happen is these developers individually absorb a chunk of the current WoW base. Blizzard essentially will compete with several major viable companies, instead of just 1 at a time when they are failing miserably. its just a matter of time.

Does competition breed excellence?
    Well, I do not think we will see S6 with Palia killing WoW, as they consider themselves a lifestyle MMO (think other terms used were, Sims MMO, and at the current, do not even plan to have PvP or larger raids.

But to your last line. Competition does indeed breed excellence. And Blizzard has been sitting on the throne for a while, and the only one up nibbling at the seat, is FFRRXIV, and they even had to try for a second time before they could.

As for Amazon and Riot, we'll wait and see but it should tell Blizzard that more companies are growing up to the idea of operating a AAA MMORPG.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, competition breeds excellence. The rest of OPs post is a bit silly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Active subs don't even really matter at this point either because blizzard has shown repeated they can hype up box sales every two years to more than cover the short fall from sub drop.
    Baiscally this. The top tier players, the ones that rush through stuff usually overspend a lot by buying tokens for money and converting them into gold and pay the sub for a lot of other people. Add to them the casual ones that are constant and keep the sub going, they're raking the money in anyway.

The fun part, where he's right, is that the most refined part of the game (raids and M+) is the one that the least people partake in. But makes sense since it's the most visible one, just think about the world first race and the various M+ tournaments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I forgot to mention this. We're all paying monthly for the game - i find progressively more difficult to justify the subscriptions when i cannot get what i want out of it. So far, i stopped playing multiple times before SL just to promptly return. Which isn't bad imho, it's just what i would do if i jumped from game to game; hell it's even cheaper compared to buy a new game each month or so.

But when you start considering how much you're spending and not getting "enough" from it (which is different for every player) something's not working right imo.
    Throw in a service cost of a transfer here and there to get to more active guild or dungeon group and you are easily paying more than a new game. I personally do see me going back it is fun for about a few weeks till you notice you are simply running around doing chores.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've said for years that MMOs are actually pretty freaking expensive to play. (I think I counted that Firelands cost players around $380 to play - for example - if they stayed subbed through the whole cycle)

People usually argue, "But you got so much playtime over the course of that time!" and maybe you did, sure. But was the quality of that time really that high? It's entirely subjective, of course. But it doesn't sound like it to me.
    To me at that time it just was. I'd probably have spent that money on other stuff or other games. I had lots of free time, and was fun to just log in Ventrilo or Teamspeak to talk with the other guys.

Right now, i have we less time and the few hours i can spare i want them to be of quality. So i'm way more picky about timegated stuff etc. There's a reason why i love Diablo/ARPGS/hac'n'slash: because my progression is my own. I do not care shit about what other players are doing, or what position in the ladder i am. I have fun because a game is fun to play.

In WoW, you cannot really do this, being a multiplayer game. I'm fine with preparation to make my performance better, so no one in my group wastes time, myself included. But generally the community is so focused on an non-existent race players themselves created and now are enforcing also on people who don't care about it or don't want to partake in it. Luckily KSM is in the realm of doable without too much trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Throw in a service cost of a transfer here and there to get to more active guild or dungeon group and you are easily paying more than a new game. I personally do see me going back it is fun for about a few weeks till you notice you are simply running around doing chores.
    I'm returning for 9.1 because of the new guild/raid group i found that's awesome. I have Lost Ark on my playlist, and that's going to come in autumn. Hope i'm done with 9.1 before it, so i can just jump into it full time, and then see if i still want to return to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Yes, competition breeds excellence. The rest of OPs post is a bit silly though.
    Is it silly? Please dont misunderstand the post. Its not another "IS WOW DYING" shitpost.

The facts are ex Blizzard employees are making a game that can be literal shit, but the hype train is taking off precisely because they are ex Blizzard devs who are adored.

Then we have Riot games who are obviously famous making an MMO

Then Ashes

Then Amazons New World

Im not saying any ONE of these will be the WoW killer, because some of us will hate Ashes but love Palia while others hate Palia and Ashes but love New World.

Im suggesting that these will collectively have an adverse financial impact on Blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it silly? Please dont misunderstand the post. Its not another "IS WOW DYING" shitpost.

The facts are ex Blizzard employees are making a game that can be literal shit, but the hype train is taking off precisely because they are ex Blizzard devs who are adored.

Then we have Riot games who are obviously famous making an MMO

Then Ashes

Then Amazons New World

Im not saying any ONE of these will be the WoW killer, because some of us will hate Ashes but love Palia while others hate Palia and Ashes but love New World.

Im suggesting that these will collectively have an adverse financial impact on Blizzard.
    This sams thing has happened to me and time again.

Wildstar comes out made by ex blizzard devs with a hype train.

Swtor comes out with massive brand recognition and made by a big name studio.

Then rift.

Then guild wars.

And on and on.

All while wows profits grow and grow.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    This sams thing has happened to me and time again.

Wildstar comes out made by ex blizzard devs with a hype train.

Swtor comes out with massive brand recognition and made by a big name studio.

Then rift.

Then guild wars.

And on and on.

All while wows profits grow and grow.
    Very true and I concede, the only difference now is WoW players are, with good reason, not really liking the game. All the games you mentioned had 1 massive competition who is Blizzard but that same company no longer exists the way it did.

I have predicted some crazy stuff here and other locations, im just saying that this could be the killing blows.

7+ Year Old Account
    Very true and I concede, the only difference now is WoW players are, with good reason, not really liking the game. All the games you mentioned had 1 massive competition who is Blizzard but that same company no longer exists the way it did.

I have predicted some crazy stuff here and other locations, im just saying that this could be the killing blows.
    That’s not a difference through, at the time those games came out the community had also worked it self up into a tizzy rather it be because of cata’S “poor” launch, lfr, dragon soul, the troll dungeon patch, ect. Even big content creators were leaving wow sighting it’s drop in quality with people like total biscuit.

Nothing has changed.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had that 10years ago, when crappy mmos like rift, swtor, etc came out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..