Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So ... where is the ruined economy?

Remember the doomsayers before the release and how only the reach people of classic will be able to afford stuff?

Well we're now in just the 3rd week of tbc and with prices still dropping, the only thing that is still a little expensive are gems and mining mats. Flasks are well under 100g, buff food is hardly more than 1g per piece, primals don't go for more than 30-40g, most pots are cheap af, enchanting mats are super low, hell even tomes and armaments don't go for more than 20.

So tell me now .. where is the ruined economy? And keep in mind that we're only 2 weeks in!!

Agree. Nothing more to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rich players are often rich because they don't spend on overpriced crafting mats. They just wait until they're cheaper then buy in bulk, reselling later at a higher price what they dont need themselves.

Early on, there's been a lot of supply due to a lot of people knowing whats good to farm, so there's a lot of people farming it. Primals are cheap because there's 3 people for every elemental, feeding the absolute maximum amount of primals into the market.

Also the matter of Epic flying helping alot early on. A lot of players effectively destroying 5000g each will have helped slow down inflation a great deal, but this will get diminishing returns.

Economies are complicated (even fictional ones) and any sort of comment on them (outside of direct manipulation) basically boils down to an educated guess since it's rarely possible to account for all variables.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Agree, doomsayers said casuals dont have a chance to farm primals and they'll cost hunderds of golds. Billionaires would control the market etc.. and here we are with cheap primals

it'll always come down to, the time it takes to grind gold, vs the time it takes to grind that item. no items in the game are finite, the supply can be low, but there will always be another cooldown. some items like primal mooncloth or spellcloth the value has little to do with the mats and is more based around the cooldown. the time it takes to make more. meanwhile farmable items are rarely worth 100s of gold since it takes longer to grind 100s of gold than it does to grind that item. the balance is inherent, probably not perfect but it works for the most part. there will still be periods of flux where some item suddenly becomes more valuable because more ppl want it. except most of the items you only craft once, so once each person is done with that item they want, they are no longer demanding said items.

I saw this happen on arcanite rods, I made a bunch of them maybe 20, sold 10 for about 55-60 gold, then 5 for about 45 gold and 5 for 35 gold etc etc. less ppl demanding price goes down. not to mention the ppl under cutting me and forcing me to relist.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-06-16 at 12:27 PM.

Well it depends on what server you play on, last time i checked it was 170g for 1 blue healing gems on my server and i really cant afford that so i had to buy green ones. To be honest meta games are over 500g ext, nothing is seems cheap on my server.

Farming gold is not the easyest when bots are zerging all the "good" spots.
    Last edited by Thundering; 2021-06-16 at 11:35 AM.

On which server do you play?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    On which server do you play?
    Gandling EU. It's a Medium/High populated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Well it depends on what server you play on, last time i checked it was 170g for 1 blue healing gems on my server and i really cant afford that so i had to buy green ones. To be honest meta games are over 500g ext, nothing is seems cheap on my server.

Farming gold is not the easyest when bots are zerging all the "good" spots.
    Yeah, like I said, gems and mining in general are still behind a bit. Good thing is that the difference between green and blue gems is minimal.

Since I made it to 70 which was 4 days after launch, I made nearly 5k gold with a mix of primal farming, fishing and in general just selling whatever I got my hands on from dungeons.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-06-16 at 11:43 AM.

Spending multiple thousands of gold on raid preparation, but the economy is completely "fine".

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Gandling EU. It's a Medium/High populated server.

Yeah, like I said, gems and mining in general are still behind a bit. Good thing is that the difference between green and blue gems is minimal.

Since I made it to 70 which was 4 days after launch, I made nearly 5k gold with a mix of primal farming, fishing and in general just selling whatever I got my hands on from dungeons.
    That's a big factor. Have you looked at Full pvp server prices? What about the economy if you knew a greater protection pot in classic cost 35g a piece instead of 10g?

What I mean is, some server economies are ruined, but most are fine.

the first massive gold influx of rmt went unnoticed by the market directly into epic flying, mounts and world drops. wait for the second wave to kick in on karazhan gdkp and all. ill hear you then

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    the first massive gold influx of rmt went unnoticed by the market directly into epic flying, mounts and world drops. wait for the second wave to kick in on karazhan gdkp and all. ill hear you then
    By the time that happens, a fresh server would have got to a similar point anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    That's a big factor. Have you looked at Full pvp server prices? What about the economy if you knew a greater protection pot in classic cost 35g a piece instead of 10g?

What I mean is, some server economies are ruined, but most are fine.
    Just looked at a Full server (Mograine) and the prices are even lower.

Well... It depends on the items.

Primes are cheap because the market is flooded. Some dude on the other hand has taken over the market for leather on my server, increasing the price by 500% in the past 5 days. Not many people have skinning, so the amount of leather is a lot lower than enchanting materials or otherwise farmable stuff.

While I was able to easily buy mats for enchants, I had to farm a long time for the leather I needed to max out leather working and to build the drake set since there was no way for me to buy those.

One piece of grom leather or whatever it's called on English, the one you need for the drums, are 20g per piece. It's stupid af. Speaking just about the raw materials, one drum is 100+ gold. The drums themselves are sold for less than 20.

I don't get this at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Gdkp is an abnormality and should be killed with fire asap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Spending multiple thousands of gold on raid preparation, but the economy is completely "fine".
    We lazy oneshotted Kara on alcohol and discord shit talk first week. What is that raid prep you're talking about lol
    Last edited by Tsarez; 2021-06-16 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarez View Post
    Well... It depends on the items.

Primes are cheap because the market is flooded. Some dude on the other hand has taken over the market for leather on my server, increasing the price by 500% in the past 5 days. Not many people have skinning, so the amount of leather is a lot lower than enchanting materials or otherwise farmable stuff.

While I was able to easily buy mats for enchants, I had to farm a long time for the leather I needed to max out leather working and to build the drake set since there was no way for me to buy those.

One piece of grom leather or whatever it's called on English, the one you need for the drums, are 20g per piece. It's stupid af. Speaking just about the raw materials, one drum is 100+ gold. The drums themselves are sold for less than 20.

I don't get this at all.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

We lazy oneshotted Kara on alcohol and discord shit talk first week. What is that raid prep you're talking about lol
    Meh, if the guy is driving the price that hard, anyone undercutting could make decent money, too.

Gdkp is fine. It's a good way to make money if you don't need anything from the raid. Otherwise it's a good way to get gear easily without a guild.

Kara isn't hard. Most the gear you get while leveling is preraid bid, sprinkle in a few exalted rep epics and that's more than enough. Hell even being in your vanilla tier is good enough.

[Delicate Living Ruby] 180g
    [Bright Living Ruby] 170g
    [Subtle Living Ruby] 154g
    [Runed Living Ruby] 143g
    [Teardrop Living Ruby]134g
    [Bold Living Ruby] 120g

[Potent Noble Topaz] 95g
    [Veiled Noble Topaz] 89g
    [Wicked Noble Topaz]65g

[Relentless Earthstorm Diamond]370g

[Solid Star of Elune] 44g ?????? cheapest and most worthless one

[Formula: Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed]1200g

The other, slightly shittier gems are a lot cheaper. Wonder why? Could it be because people only have one way of playing? Bis is the only thing that matter? And having a bunch of gold?

I wonder why some epic gear sell for 5k to 15k, then we have really expensive recipes. There are a lot of people playing generating goods that can be sold but prices are much higher than what they should be when considering numbers of players. Remember that the higher something cost, the more people might be inclined to farm them. With servers having several times the population that a full pop realm had in 2007 and layering, the impact is smaller. But you or other people might have expected gems and enchanting materials to cost several thousands and not have more than 5 of them on the auction house, that is just dumb since you cant really lock down those materials.

I still havn't enchanted or gemmed all my gear since i didnt play too much and dont have gold to waste on 1% increase in damage

360 gold to gem my crow wing reaper, yeah, totally not ruined economy. I cba to check what enchants would cost. Then i have 6 other slots + meta, so it might have cost around 1500 gold to gem all my current gear with meta socket

I concede that i was rather surprised by the overall low prices, but it doesn't mean the issue is entirely gone.

The fact that some people have epic flying on their farm characters right off the bat is still a huge deal, when i'm farming on my hunter and see anyone else attempting to get ores / herbs on a slow rider...yeah, makes a big difference.

Jewelcrafting is another subject, the gem prices, especially Meta gems, are pretty inflated, 300-400g for a single Meta gem?

If i were to guess, then layering and possibly more dynamic spawnrates made farming primals a lot more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarez View Post
    Lol! Anymore it seems like GDKP will take over LC/DKP as main meta gearing method.

Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. My LC main didnt get fully geared in classic, even with full raid attendance. My GDKP alt did tho.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    So tell me now .. where is the ruined economy? And keep in mind that we're only 2 weeks in!!
    Its everywhere, frankly.
    Everyone I knew got to 70 with 5k gold.

Even on TBC private servers, it took a lot of effort to get epic flying, but now its simply, farm stuff while leveling.

Its not just player v player money transfers that are impacted.
    Its the ones originally set up by Blizzard that were meant to act as Gold sinks, that people are just blowing right past.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Its everywhere, frankly.
    Everyone I knew got to 70 with 5k gold.

Even on TBC private servers, it took a lot of effort to get epic flying, but now its simply, farm stuff while leveling.

Its not just player v player money transfers that are impacted.
    Its the ones originally set up by Blizzard that were meant to act as Gold sinks, that people are just blowing right past.
    Give me a break about how getting 5k gold is a big deal. I made close to 10k gold since launch while playing a single character. All of that with Tailoring and Enchanting as professions and used the special cloth to craft gear for myself.