Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    Apparently the data collection options are the same as Win10.

It's also amazing seeing how many people shit on the UI...this OS is probably a year or more out and you can literally make Windows 10 look like any OS so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible in Win11

Where does MS throttle download speeds? their updates? if yeah then of course since they are sending updates to hundreds of millions of computers, I've had a gbit connection for years and nothing is throttled...not really sure what you are talking about
    They throttle for a lot of things. You have to do some tricks to make it download at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Wasn't Windows 10 suppose to be the last version of Windows?
    Honestly XP should of been... just update its drivers. I am always mildly annoyed with how much extra rubbish's windows comes packed with these days. Have to uninstall or cut off resources to a dozen useless back round programs.

Hmm odd. I thought the whole point of the underlying Win10 rewrite was that they wouldn't have to push new releases anymore. I have to wonder what is different enough in Win11 to warrant a new version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Windows 10 is fine, i could have sworn they said there would not be newer versions coming out though. I mean i can recall even telling people that there would only be software packages coming out and no more whole new UIs to deal with, well guess that did not age well.
    This. I even had one of the MS guys tell us that on a seminar a couple of years ago. Heck he was even going on and on about how they made it so that you can write your software in a way that it works on every platform with a WinOS, because they unified the complete base code, yet it's all modular and stuff. So what can 11 do that 10 can't ? I'm sure the bar isn't it.

Edit: Never had a customer ask for MacOS stuff either. In my industry (mechanical engineering) at worst you get the occasional request for some monitoring software that runs on iOS, but I've never had anyone ask for something on MacOS. I thought they pretty much only have customers in the art industry.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-06-16 at 02:21 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hmm odd. I thought the whole point of the underlying Win10 rewrite was that they wouldn't have to push new releases anymore. I have to wonder what is different enough in Win11 to warrant a new version.

- - - Updated - - -

This. I even had one of the MS guys tell us that on a seminar a couple of years ago. Heck he was even going on and on about how they made it so that you can write your software in a way that it works on every platform with a WinOS, because they unified the complete base code, yet it's all modular and stuff. So what can 11 do that 10 can't ? I'm sure the bar isn't it.

Edit: Never had a customer ask for MacOS stuff either. In my industry (mechanical engineering) at worst you get the occasional request for some monitoring software that runs on iOS, but I've never had anyone ask for something on MacOS. I thought they pretty much only have customers in the art industry.
    Further monetization, more bloatware and ways to monetize your data preferably over multiple devices. And probably get sued by the EU again in this decade for it.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And I almost bought Microsoft's lie about W10 being the last OS and they'll just keep updating it forever. Almost.
    I remember reading that, too, and just laughing and laughing and laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
    A lot of programmers use Apple laptops because they are the the best laptops on the market. And most of the time they only need to use a text editor or be able to connect to a PaaS service, for which you can use pretty much any system. It's the IT people who are mostly Windows users because they need to be able to manage user permissions, image deployments, security software etc etc
    Brah, how exactly they are the best? HP, Dell have superior mobile workstations performance wise (which is what you want, not how it looks. Though even looks are debatable now), not to mention the desktop ones (Mac Pro aka trash can has like 2-3 times less capacity).
    OS itself? Mostly covered by usage of Linux (hello Bash. Oh, it is even on Windows now), officially supported by all the major manufacturers.
    And don't let me even start about enterprise support or warranty cases. Trust me, don't.
    P.S.
    Yes, AD and it's integration is THE thing. It really is just so convenient when every single tool from MS (and not only) ties into it. I know there are Samba AD and some others, but alas...
    The old control panel can die for all I care - when everything will actually be in the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I wish Linux would take over in popularity over windows. Mainly because it is free and doesn't do stuff like throttle download speeds.
    "This will be the year of Linux!" ... for the last 15 years.
    Last edited by Easo; 2021-06-16 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Brah, how exactly they are the best? HP, Dell have superior mobile workstations performance wise (which is what you want, not how it looks. Though even looks are debatable now), not to mention the desktop ones (Mac Pro aka trash can has like 2-3 times less capacity).
    OS itself? Mostly covered by usage of Linux (hello Bash. Oh, it is even on Windows now), officially supported by all the major manufacturers.
    And don't let me even start about enterprise support or warranty cases. Trust me, don't.
    P.S.
    Yes, AD and it's integration is THE thing. It really is just so convenient when every single tool from MS (and not only) ties into it. I know there are Samba AD and some others, but alas...
    The old control panel can die for all I care - when everything will actually be in the new one.

What's wrong with macOS AD integration? What problems have you encountered? I mean we were the definition of Microsoft shop - .NET on the backend, TypeScript on the front end, SQL Server for DB, etc etc etc. And today more and more people are moving to macOS, while still being mainly on Microsoft stack. I boot older Dell only when I'm on support duty and have to update old projects that are written in VB.NET or using WWF or some other old crap. No problems using macOS in modern Microsoft heavy environment.

also - lol bash in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    On what planet are people choosing MacOS for productivity? Pretty much every workplace I've worked at has used a Windows OS. Particularly if you work with clients outside the workplace, and compatibility is a concern.

So you're a product manager who zooms and updates Jira and uses Outlook and PowerPoint and some BI tools. Do you choose:
    A) Hot loud Dell that will not last you whole workday on battery
    B) Cool silent MBP that will last you whole workday

I mean... On what planet are people choosing A? Also, on what planet do people develop iOS apps on Windows?
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-16 at 04:43 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    What's wrong with macOS AD integration? What problems have you encountered?

also - lol bash in 2021
    Asides from barely integrating at all and issues with password changes/random domain joil fails? JAMF is basically must buy to even have some automation.

Lol at using a shell in 2021? Really? I have yet to see a place which does not use some kind of commandline.

Offices only use Windows because of how powerful Active Directory is. You can be just as productive on a Mac, or even Linux for that matter.
    For On-Prem deployments of AD, yeah, but even still - that can be managed on a Mac as well. Now that more and more companies are moving to AzureAD or using an entirely different IAM platform, the need for Windows is ever-decreasing.

It's the IT people who are mostly Windows users because they need to be able to manage user permissions, image deployments, security software etc etc
    There are a lot of us "IT People" do all of that, daily, on Macs, natively.
    We do it because it is really easy to support Windows PC's using a Mac, but very difficult to support a Mac environment using Windows PC's.
    There is nothing I can't do on my Mac that has ever made me wish for a Windows PC. Thanks to Virtualization, and more specifically Citrix application deployments, I'll never need to use a Windows PC again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I actually worked in a company that was largely based on MacOS.

Needless to say, they had to pretty much code everything themselves.
    That's the idiots in the company's fault, not the OS.

Asides from barely integrating at all and issues with password changes/random domain joil fails? JAMF is basically must buy to even have some automation.
    I don't know. Never heard anyone complaining about being unable to login or change password at work. Are you sure your sysadmins are not crap?

Lol at using a shell in 2021? Really? I have yet to see a place which does not use some kind of commandline.
    Well I did say "lol bash". Allow me to blow your mind - there's more shells than Bash. Like, a lot more - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...command_shells

At my workplace people are mostly using zsh, then fish and powershell (yea .NET devs, powershell lol). Even alpine in containers is using busybox and not bash lol. Damn, last time I saw Bash live was like in 2014.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-16 at 04:52 PM.

JAMF is basically must buy to even have some automation.

Lol at using a shell in 2021? Really?
    JAMF is handy for some things, but the same can be achieved in SCCM, or using VMWare's WorkspaceOne. Costs less than JAMF, and they are actually keen to negotiate terms and contracts. JAMF tends to be real hardliners about terms/conditions/costs.

I don't think the LOL is at using a shell, just Bash specifically. ZSH is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz541 View Post
    JAMF is handy for some things, but the same can be achieved in SCCM, or using VMWare's WorkspaceOne. Costs less than JAMF, and they are actually keen to negotiate terms and contracts. JAMF tends to be real hardliners about terms/conditions/costs.

I don't think the LOL is at using a shell, just Bash specifically. ZSH is a winner.
    fish > zsh, fite me xD

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz541 View Post

SCCM? Really? Limited capability, for one. Needs 3rd party stuff (Parallels) for full support. No, just no. No one does that. Intune would be a different thing.
    Bash, CMD, Powershell, absolutely whatever, I meant commandline.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're a product manager who zooms and updates Jira and uses Outlook and PowerPoint and some BI tools. Do you choose:
    A) Hot loud Dell that will not last you whole workday on battery
    B) Cool silent MBP that will last you whole workday

I mean... On what planet are people choosing A? Also, on what planet do people develop iOS apps on Windows?
    1> Windows laptops have been matching Apple laptops in pretty much every possible respect for at least the last decade or so, and probably longer. Apple has pretty much never had a significant tech advantage there. Particularly if you match price points (which you should, if you're making an honest comparison).

2> What offices are you working at where you're operating off battery all day?

3> Sure, for developing apps for an Apple ecosphere, Apple is superior. Surprising no one. That's a niche market, and I don't know why you're using it as your standard. There are more Android devices out there in terms of market share, and it isn't really close; current figures are nearly 3:1 in Android's favor. And it's a niche market not just because iOS isn't dominant, but because app development itself is a niche market. "Productivity" refers to basically all office work that relies on computers, not just software development.

Idev, have you ever heard Mac (say, Pro 15" 2015, 2016 model) screaming your ears out when attempting to do some heavy lifting? Hot, loud and does not last whole day. Yes, MBP, not Dell, Lenovo or HP.
    Happens when you try to make something ultra thin cause that's cool with too powerful CPU, which thermal throttles to shit.

fish > zsh, fite me xD
    I have not tried fish. I must look into this now...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a zsh boomer, I don't need ur fancy fishes and other magicathings! Where's my soda???

I remember people claiming that as far back as the 90's.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I remember people claiming that as far back as the 90's.
    I've got an Ubuntu laptop from like 10 years ago kicking around here somewhere when I briefly bought into the idea myself.

I class that in the "I'm glad I tried it, but I never have to try it again" category of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    1> Windows laptops have been matching Apple laptops in pretty much every possible respect for at least the last decade or so, and probably longer. Apple has pretty much never had a significant tech advantage there. Particularly if you match price points (which you should, if you're making an honest comparison).

2> What offices are you working at where you're operating off battery all day?

3> Sure, for developing apps for an Apple ecosphere, Apple is superior. Surprising no one. That's a niche market, and I don't know why you're using it as your standard. There are more Android devices out there in terms of market share, and it isn't really close; current figures are nearly 3:1 in Android's favor. And it's a niche market not just because iOS isn't dominant, but because app development itself is a niche market. "Productivity" refers to basically all office work that relies on computers, not just software development.
    Idev, have you ever heard Mac (say, Pro 15" 2015, 2016 model) screaming your ears out when attempting to do some heavy lifting? Hot, loud and does not last whole day. Yes, MBP, not Dell, Lenovo or HP.
    Happens when you try to make something ultra thin cause that's cool with too powerful CPU, which thermal throttles to shit.
    Yeah life comparing mbp and dells is easier when 2021 and late 2020 don't exist. Everyone at the office are so happy with M1s, I will personally notify them that they actually have actually expensive laptops with bad screens, bad touchpads and they are hot and loud.

Regarding your second point - a nice office building, which is owned by the company and has nice big yard with plants and gazebos and what not. I spend summer works hours outside. M1 battery life helps. :-) Also, ever heard of workations? Like, jesus, you dell people, your life fucking sucks. Corporate lifeless drones. Next month I will be spending my work days literally at the beach, whole 8 hours. Thanks Apple! With Dell I had to spend morning at the hotel plugged in, and only move to the beach for second half of the day.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-16 at 06:15 PM.