Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I'm assuming I never got to that, my first character is only level 59, but that sounds like a pretty blatant oversight. I'll have to watch out for it.
    this is fixed with previous xpacs, they throw sets of high ilvl gear at you either moment you hit 50/60/70 or by the end of the .1 patch

Man I want to love Ff14 they way y'all do but I really find the game confusing.

I think it's partially the UI has too much going on.

I leveled my Bard to 30 or 35 for free (yay Bards!!!) then I stopped for a bit. I bought the game but had no real idea what to do next. Continue MSQ I guess? What stuff can you do daily? What's a roulette?

When do people grab a second class/job usually? Max level?

And how the heck do professions work? Do you switch your job to that profession?

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    Removed green fire? Did there used to be more?

Cuz I just got my Warlock green fire in SL.
    You get a title if you did during MoP

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Yes, WoW has always experienced boom and bust. But people are staying for less time during the booms and the busts are growing more serious, losing more people than ever. Some people will come back for 9.1, but a lot have said they're done with WoW and not coming back, and FFXIV is their game now. Others will play 9.1 for a month, get tired, and go back to FFXIV. That's not a healthy way to maintain a game.
    not just FF14, but ESO has also found its footing in recent years and has seen a significant boom over the last few months/year. FF14 and ESO both have each eaten significant chunks of the WoW fanbase away, and WoW has no one but themselves to blame. Both ff14, and ESO offer superior products if we're being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    been playing since vanilla, i have rarely experienced that issue. i doubt the legitimacy of those claims until i actually see them happening. i have never kicked someone for being bad unless they just completely do not listen

- - - Updated - - -

people have said "other games are our game now" for forever. this is nothing new lol though waiting this long for a .1 patch is definitely unprecedented thats for sure. i get the frustration though im just taking a break in the meantime and chilling while i wait. i played FFXIV in the past and it was just way to slow and boring for me to really play it......plus i wanted something like Fury and it didn't exist lol
    Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say you're being dishonest. Either that or you're one of the people who always initiates kicks. And it's hilarious that you're trying to say FFXIV is slow and boring but you play WoW lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, everyone's experiences are different.

Also, XIV IS slower than WoW. That's just factual.
    Lmfao it absolutely is not. Anyone who says that is just trying desperately to not say anything negative about WoW.

I mean...it objectively is slower. It's not even an opinion or something. The game plays at a slower pace. And it's not even like it's "saying something negative" about either game, slow or fast isn't a positive or negative.

Ya know, we're all XIV fans here, but you gotta relax with the knee-jerk WoW hatred at every turn. It's not a religious conflict or anything.
    It's not. You can't even say it's objectively slower because it's just not. WoW is hands down one of the worst leveling experiences in MMOs out there right now. The combat is boring, the quests are mostly low drop rate "collect x items" quests, and combat animations are super slow and boring too.

Alright. I don't know what happened in your personal life regarding WoW, but it always seems like you get a little irrational when it comes up.

Just moving on.
    Cool so now you're turning to ad hominem instead of admitting you're trying to avoid saying anything negative about WoW. you literally just proved I'm right lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It's not. You can't even say it's objectively slower because it's just not.
    What do you mean by faster though? Levelling speed, APM, response to mechanics, gearing, patch prog?
    Because if we just reductively apply apm FFXIV caps out at like 45 with NIN whereas wow specs start in the high 40s and can get up to the high 60s with WW, that pesky GCD just wins out every time.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

It's not. You can't even say it's objectively slower because it's just not. WoW is hands down one of the worst leveling experiences in MMOs out there right now. The combat is boring, the quests are mostly low drop rate "collect x items" quests, and combat animations are super slow and boring too.
    WoW has a horrible lvling experience yes, but FF14 is a slower-paced game than WoW. That's actually a perk of it imo.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Lmfao it absolutely is not. Anyone who says that is just trying desperately to not say anything negative about WoW.
    You can make a case that FFXIV plays faster than some classes did in WoW during vanilla and Burning Crusade (especially given the downtime many classes had while they drank and ate between fights). After that, WoW's combat system and the speed at which you can engage and kill mobs is just tons faster in almost all cases.

It's something that always gets me when I try FFXIV - even with oGCD spells and being able to move between casts because of spell casts often being faster than the GCD, it's just not as fluid as WoW. That and the fact that my friends do WoW are currently WoW's only real selling points for me (it's flight also feels better to me, but that's not currently relevant).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    You can make a case that FFXIV plays faster than some classes did in WoW during vanilla and Burning Crusade (especially given the downtime many classes had while they drank and ate between fights). After that, WoW's combat system and the speed at which you can engage and kill mobs is just tons faster in almost all cases.

It's something that always gets me when I try FFXIV - even with oGCD spells and being able to move between casts because of spell casts often being faster than the GCD, it's just not as fluid as WoW. That and the fact that my friends do WoW are currently WoW's only real selling points for me (it's flight also feels better to me, but that's not currently relevant).
    I really don't agree with that at all. WoW's combat always feels rigid and the animations have always been boring even to this day. I barely notice the GCD in FFXIV because mobility and positioning being a factor just makes it far more engaging. Outside of raids and dungeons, you just kind of...stand there and attack in WoW. It's what makes WoW's leveling feel so slow and boring. Half the time it feels like an idle game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Man I want to love Ff14 they way y'all do but I really find the game confusing.

I think it's partially the UI has too much going on.

I leveled my Bard to 30 or 35 for free (yay Bards!!!) then I stopped for a bit. I bought the game but had no real idea what to do next. Continue MSQ I guess? What stuff can you do daily? What's a roulette?

When do people grab a second class/job usually? Max level?

And how the heck do professions work? Do you switch your job to that profession?
    Whee! I love this question. For reference, obviously im doing a best guess from my own experience, and not giving an authoritative guide.

Okie dokie, first complication is whether youre level 35 in your job or in the story. With the legendary servers, its fairly easy to be lvl 35 on your job whilst barely starting the level 20 story quest. So assuming both and for a quick answer before i go into more general advice:

At 35 on the story, the main thing youre working on is your job and msqs. Follow those two breadcrumbs and youre golden. Your next main feature to unlock is around level 41 with the beast tribes. Aside that, its just dungeons and the usual stuff. I would advise spending some time with your grand company though and leveling through the ranks doing some of the leves (also, although the game guides you to only one GC leve giver, there are several at higher levels if you dont just want to keep doing the same level 10/15 leves in your starting zone). Your aim is to hit second lieutenant so you can open up your own little crew of ragammufins. So getting through the ranks will definitely give you something to work on if you feel like stepping away from the msq a bit.
    Alternatively, you could just push to level 50 on your job and unlock samurai and red mage if you want to try out another class. You DONT have to be level 50 in the story, just level 50 on ANY job. So push some levels doing whatever you like.

Speaking of doing what you like: Some features you should have unlocked: Grand companies; dungeon running; challenge log (definitely look at this); hunting logs; fates; and of course the MSQ. All of these will help you push your level pretty swiftly to 50 if that's your goal. Priority is obviously MSQ because its the main feature unlock system in the game.

Secondly, on jobs, in ARR in particular (and if you are on a legacy server with bonus xp), and if you arent just trying to blast to 80 or open up the MSQ asap, id DEFINITELY level up two jobs, if only to keep your job level roughly in line with your story level. If you've got a dps, try rolling a tank or healer as a side gig. I went rogue for my world stuff, and white mage for dungeons/trials. It was a nice balance. It also gives a bunch of new job quests to unlock with some nice story elements. Id STRONGLY recommend doing the rogue guild stuff in Limsa. Its a super fun storyline.

Finally, if you just mean your job is at 35 but your MSQ is lower (probs 20ish), then id focus heavily on MSQ because you want to a) open up your grand company; and b) get your mount. That should be a strong priority for every player.

- - - Updated - - -

So more generally, you can easily find a list of game feature unlocks using a google search, but honestly its a wall of text until you've played the game a bit. So to try and help simplify it, i'll go through some of them and explain why you might want to do them (and around what levels). This is gonna be more of a 'what are my goals right now in game at level x?' type post, if that makes sense. Some of this is job level, some is story unlocks (which is super confusing).

ETA: I realise this is getting super long already (im only at level 15) so perhaps i should do this with a few breaks.

Level 1-15 is really just the exploration/discovery phase. There's no real need to switch jobs unless you hate how your current one plays. Its mainly just following the breadcrumbs, getting a feel for the world, and just interacting with stuff. You get a nice self contained storyline attached to your home city. Its fairly on rails (despite me calling it the exploration/discovery phase). So you wont really get too confused or overwhelmed by systems. At this point you only really have the hunting log.

Why should you do the hunting log? Well, aside the gil and xp, it's a means to encourage exploration. Once you leave the main city, your priority is to get those teleport zones and do the story, but the hunting log also gives you this decently rewarding side quest whilst encouraging you to discover new landmarks and areas (and new quests) that the main story might not push you toward. It just immerses you in the world a bit more. It comes in 4 ranks. Rank 1: 1-10 level mobs. Rank 2: 11-20 level... etc. So doing the log while its current level and youre actively in the zones doing the content is definitely a nice use of your time.

Level 10: Levequests. I still dont really know what they're for other than xp and gil, but heyho, side repeatable daily content. Great source of xp if youre playing catchup on an alt job. But on your main, i'd only really do the unlock quest for them (you get one in most hubs). This isn't solid advice. Its just my opinion. They do play a part soon though.

Level 15: Job. You unlock the golden saucer, some cosmetic quests, and some pets/minions.
    Level 15: Story: Airship, Dungeon and Challenge log.

Two of these stick out: 1. The golden saucer. To be honest, i found it incredibly overwhelming. I havent been back. So i cant really talk about it much. I think its something id be more interested in at end game when im looking for daily stuff to do. But thats just me. Im probs missing out on something (the ff15 collab perhaps in a month or so?). Have a lookie, see if you enjoy it. Its not really for me, is all (i dont really like darkmoon faire either, so you know...).

The second one though is kind of a big deal and easily overlooked: The challenge log: Its mainly just a source of xp and gil, but what it does is tie up all those mini-systems into a nice bow giving you clear things you can work through every week. Its like a meta-weekly quest. If you're ever feeling a bit lost ambling around and wondering what you could do, its a nice thing to work on. To give you an idea of what kind of things: Do 3 dungeons on the roulette; Craft 30 items; Do 10 unique levequests (i said we'd come back to that); send your retainer on 10 missions; Commend 5 players; Do 5 fates with 100% rating; Finish 15 beast tribe quests etc etc. Its just all the side stuff you dont have to do, but you might want to do. If you ever feel a bit confused or overwhelmed, just open up your challenge log, pick something to work on and go do it. It also comes with an important drop later on for your grand company, but i suppose we'll come to that later.

Anyways:

Level 15-20: Emissary. You've done all your quests, youve explored your city and its surroundings, you've collected all your aethyryte nodes, youve got your airship pass. Its time to see the other 2 main cities.

So, youre gonna once again want to really focus on collecting your teleports. Your MSQ is going to have you do a few quests around the place to help you familiarise yourself with the new areas. But WHY NOT... Im just saying...

Why not try it on a new job? Why not have fun playing a new class, doing those little fetch quests, doing a new hunting log (i forgot to mention, each class has its own hunting log), running some of those fates, levequests for the weekly challenge log, and just taking everything you know in the game already and seeing what its like on a brand new class with its own unique storyline. I would STRONGLY recommend this. It's literally the perfect way to absorb yourself in these zones without feeling like you're just running from aetheryte crystal to aetheryte crystal. Its a great way to just slow the game down a bit and immerse yourself in each of the zones. It also lets you play about with other jobs and see if they're more suited to you than the one you started with. I cant honestly think of a better time to investigate the other jobs and play around with them. You have a grounding in the basic systems of the game so far, you've likely realised the MSQ is a LOT of fetch quests. Why not break it up a bit with a new class when there's all this content that's designed for those levels?

I'll finish there so far. This basically takes you through the two new cities and environs along with a couple of dungeons (which then opens up the dungeon roulette (basically a random dungeon finder with some bonus rewards so you can just chain run them outside the MSQ if that's your poison)). By the end of it you should be on your way to the level 20 stuff (grand comapany and chocobo mount), which are your next big priorities.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-06-17 at 01:29 AM.

You did a decent summery. So about Levequests. Back in the day they were a way to level a side job. Big thing they were used for was a fast super easy way to level up crafters. Now with the Ishguard Restoration once you hit Heavensward there is no reason to really do them. Its why once Stormblood came out they only made crafting Levequests and come Shadowbringers they are not even on Noverant at all. They do sill have a challenge log I believe that gives ok exp for completion. Oh and almost forgot there is a step on the Heavensward relic weapon that you have a high chance to get what you need from inside battle Leves. I remember spaming like 1-2 different ones in the Hinterlands for chest spawns to get relic items from it. I never really did the ARR relic so there may be an odd step that you get progress from Leves on that as well.

I really don't agree with that at all. WoW's combat always feels rigid and the animations have always been boring even to this day. I barely notice the GCD in FFXIV because mobility and positioning being a factor just makes it far more engaging. Outside of raids and dungeons, you just kind of...stand there and attack in WoW. It's what makes WoW's leveling feel so slow and boring. Half the time it feels like an idle game.
    Explain to me how a game with 2.5 sec GCD with a sprinkle of a couple off-GCD spells on long cooldowns "feels" faster than a game with 1.0-1.5 sec GCD?

your hatred is literally blinding you amigo....

If FFXIV didn't have a boost I wouldn't have got to max level

Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Explain to me how a game with 2.5 sec GCD with a sprinkle of a couple off-GCD spells on long cooldowns "feels" faster than a game with 1.0-1.5 sec GCD?

FFXIV gameplay gameplay is slower but after the initial "2.5 sec gcd, srsly?" reaction, I began to appreciate it. Instead of button smashing in Wow while waiting for occasional "Run, little girl, run" trumpets in Wow, in started to actually look at the fight stage. In Wow addons do that for you, you don't have to watch boss's attack because you get informed of it with big info across the whole screen.

So I like less button pressing then in Wow where 1 lost gcd meant hell lower dps or dead tank who didn't get healed in time. But it's me. If you prefer Wow then good for you (and for Blizzard's pocket). These two games are different and focused on a bit different audiences.

There is no need to bash other game because you don't or no longer play it. What matters in the end is if you are having fun with the game.

This whole Wow vs FF14 that arose here could be summarized with "Quit having fun!" meme: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAik7-CXUAA-qla.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post

You can check logs for both games. While WoW does have a higher APM on average the difference isn't as big as you would think. FFXIV combat can get incredibly hectic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    FFXIV gameplay gameplay is slower but after the initial "2.5 sec gcd, srsly?" reaction, I began to appreciate it. Instead of button smashing in Wow while waiting for occasional "Run, little girl, run" trumpets in Wow, in started to actually look at the fight stage. In Wow addons do that for you, you don't have to watch boss's attack because you get informed of it with big info across the whole screen.

So I like less button pressing then in Wow where 1 lost gcd meant hell lower dps or dead tank who didn't get healed in time. But it's me. If you prefer Wow then good for you (and for Blizzard's pocket). These two games are different and focused on a bit different audiences.

There is no need to bash other game because you don't or no longer play it. What matters in the end is if you are having fun with the game.

This whole Wow vs FF14 that arose here could be summarized with "Quit having fun!" meme: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAik7-CXUAA-qla.jpg
    I actually agree, i'm not here to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't enjoy.
    I just disagree with the notion that we have to mislead people with wrong information to "Sell" our preferred game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool so now you're turning to ad hominem instead of admitting you're trying to avoid saying anything negative about WoW. you literally just proved I'm right lol.
    Jesus chrits..... What did WoW do to you? You're so obsessed with shitting on wow in every page in threads about FF14. It's insane how much you hate it. just move on dude....

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    But that's not even vaguely what happened?
    The poster you quoted was responding to someone who was just blatantly stating an objective falsehood because they refuse to admit wow does anything 'better' (if or why more apm is 'better' is a whole other matter) than FFXIV.

Your aggressive preemptive defense of FFXIV is exactly the reason people characterise FFXIV players (which includes myself before you accuse me of being some FFXIV hater) as cultish and obsessed with comparing FFXIV to wow.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?