Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    For mount collectors the store-only (or special-edition only or whatever) mounts are a form of pay-2-win because it's something they can only attain through paying cash.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think being able to buy a boost to the start of an expansion is a bad thing it will be bad regardless of what you call it.
    Lmao no. Just no. Anyone can easily get a mount in game so store mounts are purely cosmetic. Meanwhile, a paid character boost is 100% p2w because you're directly buying power for your character. Nice false equivalency lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Lmao no. Just no. Anyone can easily get a mount in game so store mounts are purely cosmetic. Meanwhile, a paid character boost is 100% p2w because you're directly buying power for your character. Nice false equivalency lol
    The ONLY argument I see regarding mounts being P2W that has any merit at all is - the early store mounts that got mailed to EVERY toon, and matched riding skill (as all mounts now do) meaning it was a somewhat significant saving in gold, and any mount that has additional features such as AH / Repairs. These are common place now in retail, so their "power" has been reduced, but previously had been at very least quite convenient.

As i said, those are still somewhat of a stretch, but until they introduce a mount that increases speed by 500% to the store, I agree that they are very much cosmetic only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

If your aim in the game is to collect every mount then having some locked behind a paywall means you can't complete your aim without buying them from the store. If you see someone with that mount then you know you'll never get it without putting down money, whereas if you see a boosted character you know that with time you can reach the same level and even surpass them.

If your aim in the game is to collect every mount then having some locked behind a paywall means you can't complete your aim without buying them from the store. If you see someone with that mount then you know you'll never get it without putting down money, whereas if you see a boosted character you know that with time you can reach the same level and even surpass them.
    Once again, false equivalency. Mounts aren't player power. Levels ARE player power. Did you stretch before all that reaching?

Once again, false equivalency. Mounts aren't player power. Levels ARE player power. Did you stretch before all that reaching?
    No, I just understand that "winning" in WoW is largely dependent on what people want out of the game.

Whew, for a minute here I was worried you were just making up the parameters and applying them selectively where it suited your argument.

Glad that’s cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Whew, for a minute here I was worried you were just making up the parameters and applying them selectively where it suited your argument.

Glad that’s cleared up.
    Mounts aren't player power. They don't make you stronger. Levels DO make you stronger. So therefore paid boosts are p2w.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I just understand that "winning" in WoW is largely dependent on what people want out of the game.
    And once again, that's a HUGE reach.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    What is or is not content is dependent on the person
    It IS content, it doesn't matter whether you personally like it or not. Levelling is content, BGs are content, dungeons are content, professions are content, even pet battles (in retail ofc) are content. You not liking it doesn't change the fact that not only it is content, but also a sizeable part of it, in the context of BC.

So buying a full set of SWP gear wouldn't be P2W, just because someone might not be interested in PvE. I see...
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It IS content, it doesn't matter whether you personally like it or not.
    If a person isn't going to do it then it isn't content to them
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Mounts aren't player power. They don't make you stronger. Levels DO make you stronger. So therefore paid boosts are p2w.
    Ok, let’s join an AV or AB. I’ll use a mount. You walk. Winner gets to make up the next definition of pay-to-win.

Or, let’s race to Exalted with Ogrila.

Or, let’s try for a server first Karazhan. Let me know how that attunement goes.

5+ Year Old Account
    If a person isn't going to do it then it isn't content to them
    No my dude, that isn't how it works. Content is content, regardless of personal preferences. If someone doesn't want to do it, more power for them, but denying its existence is just absurd. That's like saying that mythic raids aren't content just because I'm not interested in mythic raiding.

It IS content, it doesn't matter whether you personally like it or not. Levelling is content, BGs are content, dungeons are content, professions are content, even pet battles (in retail ofc) are content. You not liking it doesn't change the fact that not only it is content, but also a sizeable part of it, in the context of BC.
    1-58 isn’t TBC content.

So buying a full set of SWP gear wouldn't be P2W, just because someone might not be interested in PvE. I see...
    They’re selling raid gear now? Neat.

5+ Year Old Account
    They’re selling raid gear now? Neat.
    If you read the post carefully, you will notice that I used a conditional tense, "wouldn't", thus implying that I'm talking about a something hypothetic, not about something that actually exists, in which case I'd be using present tense. Words have a meaning and a context, who would have thought.

1-58 isn’t TBC content.
    Yes it is. BC isn't a standalone game, it's an expansion. Again, words have meanings.

Ok, let’s join an AV or AB. I’ll use a mount. You walk. Winner gets to make up the next definition of pay-to-win.

Or, let’s race to Exalted with Ogrila.

Or, let’s try for a server first Karazhan. Let me know how that attunement goes.
    Oh boy more false equivalencies! That is the most asinine example because in those situations both people have a mount. You're trying to say I would need to not use my mount and handicap myself just to justify your utterly stupid standards for what is and isn't p2w. I really hope you didn't pull anything when doing all this reaching.

No my dude, that isn't how it works. Content is content, regardless of personal preferences.
    I disagree

If someone doesn't want to do it, more power for them, but denying its existence is just absurd.
    It can exist but for them it's not content

That's like saying that mythic raids aren't content just because I'm not interested in mythic raiding.
    For them it isn't
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

If you read the post carefully, you will notice that I used a conditional tense, "wouldn't", thus implying that I'm talking about a something hypothetic, not about something that actually exists, in which case I'd be using present tense. Words have a meaning and a context, who would have thought.

Yes it is. BC isn't a standalone game, it's an expansion. Again, words have meanings.
    Yes, words have meanings, and hypothetical scenarios that have never existed in the game have no place as a grounds for comparison. That wasn’t a litmus test, it was you pulling a non-existent scenario out of thin air.

And TBC doesn’t have to be a standalone game to differentiate content. What are you even saying?

5+ Year Old Account
    I disagree

It can exist but for them it's not content

For them it isn't
    Content is content, period, it doesn't depend on your personal tastes. But I will make sure to have this brilliant piece of wisdom at hand

- - - Updated - - -

You mean hypothetical scenarios like these? Come, tell me moar

Oh boy more false equivalencies! That is the most asinine example because in those situations both people have a mount. You're trying to say I would need to not use my mount and handicap myself just to justify your utterly stupid standards for what is and isn't p2w. I really hope you didn't pull anything when doing all this reaching.
    Just stop. I literally applied the same logic you did and you’ve got nothing to say other than some butchering of a buzzword.

Content is content, period, it doesn't depend on your personal tastes. But I will make sure to have this brilliant piece of wisdom at hand
    And I shall make sure to remember your opinion as well <3
    My Collection

You mean hypothetical scenarios like these? Come, tell me moar
    Yes, one does exist (not having a mount) and the other doesn’t (buying raid gear).

You read the part where I said “scenarios that have never existed”, right? Because that was the important part.

You’re welcome.
    Last edited by Prag; 2021-06-17 at 03:42 AM.