Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So where does Blizzard show their official player numbers now?

So since I watch WoW related content on Youtube (Like Captain Grim, Snackybox and sometimes just play WoW OST's) - Their algorithm is of course trying to shove Spergmongold down my throat by constantly having his videos SOMEWHERE on any of the visible tabs when I look at any video. Being the good boy that I am; I've not clicked in on any of his videos in years but I can still see the titles and as of late; all the rave with him and the fallen from grace Bellulargaming; Has been how FFXIV has "finally killed WoW" by bypassing it's player numbers in addition to having the "Nail in the coffin" be that Asmon and Bellular has supposedly tried FFXIV and idk... Did they admit to that FFXIV was better? I didn't actually see their videos on it - But the point stands that the big "deal" is how it "finally surpassed WoW" and I gotta wonder; how do we even know that?

Last I heard; Blizzard pulled the plug on letting the audience see the active player count back when WoD tanked; saying it was removed purely due to "financial reasons" - But did they re-enable this or am I missing something?

I'd like to point out here and now that Activeplayer.io is as accurate on the player tally as Raider.io is on actually deciding someone's skill so surely there has to be another source people are pulling the supposed player number of WoW from, has there been a leak? Like what did I miss?
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has not overtaken WoW.

If you combine classic and retail, WoW seems to still have more players. After all it is all WoW in terms of numbers (although I know that retail is not really wow tho)
    Now, FF14 offers the closest thing to the true WoW experience, even more so than classic atm.

When the next expansion comes out, basically none knows what´s going on, what will happen. There is no open beta and millions of people datamining and spooling everything, making the meta-everything before the game is even out. That made WoW special thorough its first years.
    The game content is quality and player oriented, not share holder quick results oriented... combine all of that with WoW going through a very dark patch and not having any other competitor out there.. Then you see how FF14 is getting so popular.

Expect many to go back to 9.1 but I would expect many not to.. burn out is a thing. Also, how many players would 9.1 retain if they continue on the current developing style? I´d say not even 50% of those that might go back.

The numbers claim is coming from https://mmo-population.com/activity.

Which yes, it's at best an educated guess and not really meant to be taken as fact - of course, all the click-starved gaming news websites and youtubers don't really care about that, as long as they get their clicks.

With that said, I would say at the present moment it's definitely not impossible for FF to have more active players than retail or classic individually, especially since retail+classic combined still have a lot more.

Bellular I believe has outright stated that FF is at the moment a better MMO, although WoW still does some things better. With that said for a long time he seems to say more what he thinks will be spicy for the videos than what he actually thinks or makes sense, so combined with 9.1 delays I would take that with a huge grain of salt - but that's just my opinion.

Asmon I'm not sure if he has played yet, only watched videos on it (including bellular's) and his general position so far is that he doesn't particularly like the art style but overall wants it to be a good game because he believes it's best for games to have competition and to "inspire" each other.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    It has not overtaken WoW.

If you combine classic and retail, WoW seems to still have more players. After all it is all WoW in terms of numbers (although I know that retail is not really wow tho)
    Now, FF14 offers the closest thing to the true WoW experience, even more so than classic atm.

When the next expansion comes out, basically none knows what´s going on, what will happen. There is no open beta and millions of people datamining and spooling everything, making the meta-everything before the game is even out. That made WoW special thorough its first years.
    The game content is quality and player oriented, not share holder quick results oriented... combine all of that with WoW going through a very dark patch and not having any other competitor out there.. Then you see how FF14 is getting so popular.

Expect many to go back to 9.1 but I would expect many not to.. burn out is a thing. Also, how many players would 9.1 retain if they continue on the current developing style? I´d say not even 50% of those that might go back.
    you cant combine classic and retail because its still 1 account. you need active accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    Last I heard; Blizzard pulled the plug on letting the audience see the active player count back when WoD tanked; saying it was removed purely due to "financial reasons" - But did they re-enable this or am I missing something?
    They did because the world is dumb and it affects the stock market when they read things they dont understand.

"WoD starts off with 12mill players!"-->Stocks high rocket

"WoD loses 3mil subscribers"-->Stocks lose value, because people ignore the part "But it made 700 million dollars more" because they dont understand what they are reading in the meeting PDF about their income (MAU?).

It also produces negative popularity which in turn affects stock value more, and does make some weaker brains actually quit the game because of things they read, like it affects them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    So since I watch WoW related content on Youtube (Like Captain Grim, Snackybox and sometimes just play WoW OST's) - Their algorithm is of course trying to shove Spergmongold down my throat by constantly having his videos SOMEWHERE on any of the visible tabs when I look at any video. Being the good boy that I am; I've not clicked in on any of his videos in years but I can still see the titles and as of late; all the rave with him and the fallen from grace Bellulargaming; Has been how FFXIV has "finally killed WoW" by bypassing it's player numbers in addition to having the "Nail in the coffin" be that Asmon and Bellular has supposedly tried FFXIV and idk... Did they admit to that FFXIV was better? I didn't actually see their videos on it - But the point stands that the big "deal" is how it "finally surpassed WoW" and I gotta wonder; how do we even know that?

I'd like to point out here and now that Activeplayer.io is as accurate on the player tally as Raider.io is on actually deciding someone's skill so surely there has to be another source people are pulling the supposed player number of WoW from, has there been a leak? Like what did I miss?
    They do not. No one sees them. Just like many other MMOs, no one can confirm the numbers except the developer - nor do they have to.

That is also why so many MMO population sites have been made in an attempt to find the number but they cannot actively fill all the search parameters, nor can they compare or even confirm their data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    They did because the world is dumb and it affects the stock market when they read things they dont understand.

"WoD starts off with 12mill players!"-->Stocks high rocket

"WoD loses 3mil subscribers"-->Stocks lose value, because people ignore the part "But it made 700 million dollars more".
    Crude but yeah, that is the most straightforward way to explain it.

As well, it is more worth it for the investors to see the whole picture, MAU's.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The whole debate is pointless we keep seeing that blizzard can sucker enough rubes (you know the type, your cousin's friend who owns every expansion but never subs for more than a month) purely through marketing and hype every expansion cycle to more than makeup for any shortfall due to sub loss.

It doesn't matter that FFXIV is a better game, it wouldn't matter if it was the best game. Blizzard literally doesn't have to worry or even change anything at all unless or until box sales start dropping, which isn't happening.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

I mean... if you trust that source site you might as well believe me saying that Runescape is actually most popular MMORPG in history. Because it's the same. That page is saying that games which have been shut down, like a damn WildStar still have players playing it and reporting much lower active users on other games while in their quarterly reports they give figures to their shareholders which are 10x and it's illegal to lie on them.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    The whole debate is pointless we keep seeing that blizzard can sucker enough rubes (you know the type, your cousin's friend who owns every expansion but never subs for more than a month) purely through marketing and hype every expansion cycle to more than makeup for any shortfall due to sub loss.

It doesn't matter that FFXIV is a better game, it wouldn't matter if it was the best game. Blizzard literally doesn't have to worry or even change anything at all unless or until box sales start dropping, which isn't happening.
    They have lost over 30% of the player base... even through Corona.

the only mmo that will proerply dethrone wow, and ffxiv for that matter will be the riot mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

FFXIV is doing literally the same thing.

It's nothing but projection. They see what they want to see.

If there’s one thing every story/genre needs, it’s conflict: Protagonist vs. Anagonist and only then we all are hpp - happy popcorn people!

Wow was the highest-earning PC game in 2020 (yes even more than LoL) we can pretty much entirely put that down to box sales given it wasn't even in the top 10 in 2019.
    Like I said subs are great, MAUs are great but so long as they can hoover 60 bucks out of uncle Jerry every two years the player base is practically irrelevant.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. To be honest. It is information that holds no value to show to non-investors, then again, even investors only see the MAUs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah and not all but a big part of those numbers would be Diablo 3 and them giving up on Heroes of the Storm, but mostly Overwatch.

They dont, nowadays all they care about is microtransaction revenue. (which is forever growing in this p2w game)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    They dont, nowadays all they care about is microtransaction revenue. (which is forever growing in this p2w game)
    Wrong topic, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    What microtransactions? A store mount every six months lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard does not report subscriptions any longer. Despite the conspiracy-minded theories of everyone else the change was to more or less align with metrics that are used across the gaming industry. That made sense once they acquired King and Candy Crush. In any case, Blizzard is now only reporting standard metrics such as monthly active users among a few other things. The new push is for engagement which is an industry obsession across nearly all playable online games.

Also for what it's worth: FFXIV now is free-to-play—no subscription of any kind required—up to level 60. That's quite a chunk, no purchase required and their 'free trial' includes everything up through Heavensward. I'm quite sure that has inflated their active player counts but whether or not people are dropping money to subscribe past that is again something that no one knows.

I don't doubt that WoW is rather moribund at the moment but between the current version, classic, and the release of TBC it seems to be doing quite well.

Don't put any stock whatsoever in the 30% loss of players. That's not just WoW. Those MAU figures are not broken out and no one here knows or understands how much of it is WoW, how much is Overwatch, Diablo III, or Heroes of the Storm.

Blizzard's apparent inability to release new games—not just expansions and re-masterings of games that are a dozen or more years old—is catching up with them. With no new games announced that aren't sequels or graphical updates I imagine that's going to continue.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-06-17 at 08:46 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."