Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Anecdotally found the main issue in Durnholde to be the 3 draknoid packs before the last boss, The melee have a 5k+ MS and the casters do a 6k voidbolt.

This in of itself isn't a big deal but the casters can also apply a 30 second debuff that increases damage done by 50% and damage TAKEN by 50%, getting this on the tank typically yields instagibs if you attempt to facetank anything not CC'd for it's duration.

[Edit] - Thrall has ~130k on Hc and can comfortably tank 1-2 melee mobs in the packs before the 2nd boss, his HP resets once he leaves combat so your healer shouldn't be wasting mana on him either.
    Last edited by Oneer; 2021-06-17 at 01:57 PM.

I haven't tanked any heroics this time yet, but I kinda remembered AC crypts first boss was really fucking hard to heal as a priest, I got my druid alt upto 66 and ran it in normal the aura has zero effect on me, but if you run that boss in heroic with a melee or two and you rely on flash heal spam, or just not instant cast heals, it feels really jarring when your cast time is doubled. I can remember wiping on that boss so many times just because the bleed would stack too high, you'd get pulled in at a crucial moment like just before a cast goes off.

I agree with the overall sentiment that its just certain packs of trash or certain bosses that have difficult to counter mechanics or just things you have to eat and pray it doesn't kill you. healing always felt really difficult since most of the mobs in heroic will just one shot the healer.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-06-21 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy2 View Post
    Halls of Origination would like a word - first time reaching that secondary floor...

Though I agree, Grim Batol was a bitch as well.

And Cataclysm launch heroics is the best thing blizzard has ever done, perfection.
    Yeah,back then it was a breath of fresh air as I was very worried about the direction WoW was taking. And they dropped the early Cata heroic dungeons and I was really happy with how they were handling dungeons

And then they backpedalled

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacin9 View Post
    Remembering the original experience, Shattered Halls was by far the hardest of them all, followed by Arcatraz. They are full of dangerous pulls, and the bosses are no cakewalk either. BF event with opening cells is the only hard place in there, rest is pretty easy, you just gotta be mindful of stealth mobs in the corridor and pull them separately from the engineers, summoners were pretty easy to control.
    This was my memory as well, but I haven't made it to 70 on re-release to see if modern gamer tendencies have change that balance. I remember SH being absolutely brutal with certain groups.

It's just gaunlet before the second boss. it's the only thing my meme group couldn't get past week one. We gave up after like 5 wipes. I wouldn't go into H BF without an optimal comp. Everyone other heroic doesn't seem to have that problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Yeah,back then it was a breath of fresh air as I was very worried about the direction WoW was taking. And they dropped the early Cata heroic dungeons and I was really happy with how they were handling dungeons

And then they backpedalled
    Yeah, Ghostcrawler saying "They're fine Learn to Play" then the next morning "We're nerfing them because they're too hard"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    The tuning is definitely funny. auchenai crypts felt almost like a normal 70 dungeon. Ele+rogue+ret pugs and we rolled the place

Back when I played Shattered Halls and Shadow Labyrinth were toughest, though having a decent CC group makes a lot of difference. None of the Tempest Keep or Coilfang Reservoir dungeons were difficult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Yeah, Ghostcrawler saying "They're fine Learn to Play" then the next morning "We're nerfing them because they're too hard"
    That's the moment when I completely lost any shred of hope in him. You can't recover credibility from that.

Nothing is hard about tbc dungeons if you learn that you simply put cant face tank everything and use slow traps, nova, fears etc, all these things make them far easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That's the moment when I completely lost any shred of hope in him. You can't recover credibility from that.
    He was a Lead System Designer, without ability to make large executive decisions. I believe hard heroics were a part of his design for Cata, and the decision to make them easier came from the management that saw the analytics of players leaving due to content being too difficult. Nothing he could have done about it.

Makes more sense than a Lead System Designer making executive decisions about every aspect of the game, doesn't it.

Heart says Shadow Labs, bad bad memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkeshall View Post
    Heart says Shadow Labs, bad bad memories.
    There was some hideous Shadow Priest mobs who hurt like hell and dispelled CC on other enemies, really hard to control with a Warlock as they would Shadow Word: Pain the Succubus and kill her when she tries to recast Seduction, and they pumped out enough range damage that controlling them with Fear and Curse of Recklessness was really impractical.

And then there was Murmur's room with those sodding Warlock mobs who'd run out at the worst moments and make you pull two groups at once. And the mind-controlling Ogre who'd get everyone to turn around and one-shot the healer. Really fun dungeon with a good group, really frustrating with a bad one and I had to PuG it lots to finish my Oblivion set.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no intention of playing TBC in the modern era, but it was The Black Morass for me.

I vaguely remember taking ages to get attuned for Karazhan because you either couldn't find group, or you failed super hard.

-It was extra tedious because you either cleared the wildlife around the portal beforehand, or you had to deal with it later. Bonus points if Random Joe got in Medivh's range prematurely.
    -It was stupid hard because the portal guardians were tough as nails and portals appeared in a random position around the Dark Portal with no warning. When the guardian spawned with a /yell, it was already too late, because adds kept getting out and slowing you down.
    -It was unfair because the time between the portals was barely sufficient to get done with one before the next came up, that is, with a decently geared group. If you had a shit dps, portals would eventually overwhelm you in a spectacular domino of frustration.

Bosses were not too bad, the 18(?) waves were total garbage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I have no intention of playing TBC in the modern era, but it was The Black Morass for me.

I vaguely remember taking ages to get attuned for Karazhan because you either couldn't find group, or you failed super hard.

-It was extra tedious because you either cleared the wildlife around the portal beforehand, or you had to deal with it later. Bonus points if Random Joe got in Medivh's range prematurely.
    -It was stupid hard because the portal guardians were tough as nails and portals appeared in a random position around the Dark Portal with no warning. When the guardian spawned with a /yell, it was already too late, because adds kept getting out and slowing you down.
    -It was unfair because the time between the portals was barely sufficient to get done with one before the next came up, that is, with a decently geared group. If you had a shit dps, portals would eventually overwhelm you in a spectacular domino of frustration.

Bosses were not too bad, the 18(?) waves were total garbage though.
    Worst part of Black Morass was finally getting a group together, gathering everyone in the Caverns of Time and having one person say "oh look I have a quest down here."

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Very likely that it wasn't his decision.
    When executives tell you to do something,not even the game director would have a say in it. A Systems designer's opinion pretty much has no weight on that, and he wouldn't be allowed to go out and say "this was a stupid decision" publicly

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Very likely that it wasn't his decision.
    When executives tell you to do something,not even the game director would have a say in it. A Systems designer's opinion pretty much has no weight on that, and he wouldn't be allowed to go out and say "this was a stupid decision" publicly
    And it was justified, to a point. The beginning of Cata is when it all went downhill for WoW, and they never recovered. The difference in difficulty between WotLK heroic AoE fest and Cata dungeons was just too big. Hardcores rejoiced, everyone else was leaving the game. You want to make the game harder, that's fine, but you don't jump from 1+1=2 to advanced physics overnight, and for many casual players it felt just like that. It was a mistake, and I think Ghostcrawler realized that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Worst part of Black Morass was finally getting a group together, gathering everyone in the Caverns of Time and having one person say "oh look I have a quest down here."
    I have a faint memory of a quest of some sort. What was it about?

Also people not being attuned and not being able to enter heroic mode. A guy neutral with the dragons once suggested we go run Durnholde 2-3 times and started insulting everyone because we weren't really up for it

Quote Originally Posted by Facefive View Post
    With all the hard hitting mobs, the summoners and the stealthy bois would everyone agree that Blood Furnace ist THE hardest heroic in TBC or maybe in the game? The event itself is terrifying and can get out of hand in no time. Perfect cc and even voice is needed imho to make it through.

What are your thoughts about it?
    BF isn't terrible. It has a few crappy sections, like the gauntlet pulls. Those can be taxing on the healer. Try to CC and kite, slows are helpful. However, Arcatraz and Shattered halls would probably what I place as the hardest heroics in BC. SH almost required a ton of CC. Most packs are 5 or more mobs. Nasty. Easy to pull extra stuff. Etc. BF is a lot easier

Arcatraz and Sladowlabs were harder iirc.

I havent played tbc classic tho