Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    CGI animated series about Sylvanas. W3 as a starting point but the rest original stuff. Only loosely based on WoW. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    If we're talking about the cinematic warcraft, I think they failed on the approach.
    If it was me, I've done it somewhat like they do with books:

- Start with a W3 movie, because it's very straightforward, lots of memorable characters, and it was more fleshed out than the WC1 and WC2 stories.

Then follow 2 paths: one telling the previous events and one telling the following events.

- A mini-series on the charactes of WC1 (one chapter to introduce each main protagonists)
    - WC1
    - A mini-series on the characters of WC2
    - WC2

After this, maybe a series about Draenor.

Meanwhile, make 2 animated series about WoW:
    - One, in the style of WoW's cutscenes, following the main events from the main characters' point of view.
    - The other, in a more cartoonish/silly/lighthearthed type, following a group of "player characters" through side adventures,

Insert some character movies when the series are about to reach them (Illidan before TBC, Arthas before WotLK, Jaina before BFA, etc) like they did with the books.
    That's a good approach.. For the light hearted one, I'd take a more Warcraft Travellers approach, follow a group of young adventuerers round the world and see a a different view on the same places, races and events in the other series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ditto.

Warcraft is Warcraft, it's not Game of Thrones and should not be either.
    Im pretty sure i saw in the movie a human chopping the dick off a Orc.
    And then slowly put his sword on his back while he cowers with both hands on his privates.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2021-06-17 at 03:17 PM.

I really just want a WC4 made by the OG devs, but both the genre and their RTS team are about as dead as they can be. A proper Netflix show could bring some life back into the franchise like how it gave Witcher 3 a whole lot of new players. I very much doubt that a WoW 2 is ever going to happen, maybe a Starcraft or Diablo MMORPG instead.

The only thing I expect is more expansions with 8 year droughts between major patches and more mobile games.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    A proper Netflix show could bring some life back into the franchise like how it gave Witcher 3 a whole lot of new players.
    Was that any good, the show? Keeps coming up as a recommendation, but I've never got round to starting it. (Never played any of the Witcher series)

relaunch won't do anything. there is no new audience, only the existing aging audience.

on top of that there is simply a ton of competition these days + the medieval fantasy with orcs theme isn't very popular currently. only chance would be a full on re-imagining not just a re-launch, but that might piss off the existing cash cow audience.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-06-17 at 03:47 PM.

They just need to fix social. The style is largely irrelevant.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    At the end of the day, I think if WoW made a series, imo it would be among the best ever if done right.
    I'd be careful, since they made the Warcraft movie which was pretty bad.

I like the purification ritual thing for Tyrande. Was pretty tragic and Tyrande’s Elune-talk was VERY cool, especially since it references to real life religion, and how some women would perform rituals and make chaotic sounds like that.
    Really? i'm just dying at the cringe... it sounds like a toddler TV show. Same as with Magni in BfA. They made him into a Dora-esque character.

I think removing Garrosh’s bitch line is the stupidest and most nonsensical thing ever, and I played through BFA’s HoA system.
    That's because they are babyfying the game, for the sake of developers' children.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    You just gave me an idea.. Can't games adjust their rating?

You can basically have a game and because it's tech.. you can have a PG setting, a 15 setting, an 18/R setting and an XXX setting.

On R-setting, you will see a decapitation and blood gushing out etc, xxx settings would have graphic sex scenes where relevant - U setting would maybe even replace swords with frying pans - ofc you have to prove you are of age to access higher settings in account page, once you have access, you can adjust the rating in-game to display everything or mute it. Parents can also adjust the setting for their children.
    That's exactly what i've been suggesting on my changes and features thread. Let us have a censorship option for children if you're so worried (*ahem* developers *ahem).
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...be-implemented
    (under 'if everyone is special no one is', 4th paragraph)

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    You can't call Danuser's body pillow a bitch even when she is...well, a bitch.

God, Cataclysm Garrosh was great. They sure did him dirty.
    It's not that. One of the developers was worried about his kid playing the game and hearing the word. Why the hell do we need to adjust ourselves to a 7 year old is beyond me...

And so was MoP's Garrosh.

They removed it? That line made wow actually feel real like no other has. I'm not a big cusser, but that line gave character to both Garrosh and Sylvanas in ways I've never felt in wow before that or since.
    Exactly.
    Felt so unique and awesome, in contrast to the childish lines we have today.

Quote Originally Posted by GR8GODZILLAGOD View Post
    Keep the tone and age rating the same. R rated and darker side projects are fine, but the main stuff shouldn't change.
    Really? don't you feel the game has been babyfied lately?

For a series, go 2d western animated. Not a fan of anime's style.
    Same here.
    Anime is too exaggerated for me.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Exactly.

It's the sort of language that befits the themes and settings - you have all thes diffenrt characters, some really bad, some good, but really dire situations that even a saint might be tempted to let out a few, and you mean ruthless characters would keep their language tidy while they butcher thousands...

It's like the hypocrisy of those that complain about any form of sexualisation in entertainment but don't comment about the gratuitous violence and really dark traumatising themes and situations.

5+ Year Old Account

It's not that. One of the developers was worried about his kid playing the game and hearing the word. Why the hell do we need to adjust ourselves to a 7 year old is beyond me...
    Cause the 7 year old is writing the story. Didn't you notice from the quality?

It's the sort of language that befits the themes and settings - you have all thes diffenrt characters, some really bad, some good, but really dire situations that even a saint might be tempted to let out a few, and you mean ruthless characters would keep their language tidy while they butcher thousands...

It's like the hypocrisy of those that complain about any form of sexualisation in entertainment but don't comment about the gratuitous violence and really dark traumatising themes and situations.
    It's american rating system, apparently.
    No problem with violence, but sexual and foul language is a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Cause the 7 year old is writing the story. Didn't you notice from the quality?
    I did.
    Can't they get real writers, instead of these children's book writers?

5+ Year Old Account
    It's american rating system, apparently.
    No problem with violence, but sexual and foul language is a big no no.

I did.
    Can't they get real writers, instead of these children's book writers?
    It's funny, because this is a game where you can perfectly raise undead or demonic minions, or poisoning, or mind!@#$ing or just stab to death an entire settlement of natives for a handful of gold. A world where there is a genocide every ~20 years and even the playable races are regularly decimated... but apparently the word "bitch" is 100% forbidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It's funny, because this is a game where you can perfectly raise undead or demonic minions, or poisoning, or mind!@#$ing or just stab to death an entire settlement of natives for a handful of gold. A world where there is a genocide every ~20 years and even the playable races are regularly decimated... but apparently the word "bitch" is 100% forbidden.
    That developer's little kid going on a killing spree in school would be fine by him, but not if he cursed in school

Now, seriously. They need to up their standards, because as it stands right now, the game is catered to 7 year olds.

That's a good approach.. For the light hearted one, I'd take a more Warcraft Travellers approach, follow a group of young adventuerers round the world and see a a different view on the same places, races and events in the other series.
    I was thinking on something like Avatar Korra. Aang felt too childish to me, but they could add some silly episode (ala Hearthstone) from time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falkeshall View Post
    Was that any good, the show? Keeps coming up as a recommendation, but I've never got round to starting it. (Never played any of the Witcher series)
    It's good, although they change some things from the books (the games take place after the story in the books)
    Last edited by pacotaco; 2021-06-18 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    It's good, although they change some things from the books (the games take place after the story in the books)
    I'll stick it on the list of things to watch, cheers! (Didn't realise until now the games were based on a series of books, everyday's a school day!)

I mean, the only way I can see the Warcraft franchise redeemed is properly as an RTS at its core.

It's story is best told in the RTS format. It's the best way to address the epic scale of faction warfare, and allows complete factions to rise and fall in any given story arc. It may not be as immersive as character-centric storytelling, but Warcraft has always been about the full scale war and characters reacting to shifts in events. Even Warcraft 3 is not just "Arthas' story" as many people choose to remember it as, it's a full story of the third invasion of the Legion and the aftermath.

If they relaunched the Warcraft franchise, it should stick with a reimagined RTS format that makes sense for modern sensibilities.

Exactly.
    That's the main reason why I think it was GOOD for them to remove it. The fact that it was so different from the thousands of lines of dialogue in the series made it sound weird and out of place. I'd rather have consistency.

And lets be honest, there aren't any kids playing this game. Just a dwindling group of 30-50 year olds (and a handful of 20 somethings that came to the party late). The game has hardly been "babyfied". Despite the art style (which has been pretty consistent since the RTS days) it's still a game filled with A LOT of violence, demons, corpses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    That's the main reason why I think it was GOOD for them to remove it. The fact that it was so different from the thousands of lines of dialogue in the series made it sound weird and out of place. I'd rather have consistency.

And lets be honest, there aren't any kids playing this game. Just a dwindling group of 30-50 year olds (and a handful of 20 somethings that came to the party late). The game has hardly been "babyfied". Despite the art style (which has been pretty consistent since the RTS days) it's still a game filled with A LOT of violence, demons, corpses, etc.
    What? How is it weird and out of place coming from Garrosh? That's exactly what i would expect from him. Removing it is downgrading the speech in the game. I've had enough with this censorship type of language, where everybody has to speak about peace and harmony while refraining from using foul language. Even characters that are best suited for such lines such as Garrosh, Sylvanas, Varian, Arthas and so on. Let me show you an example (Warcraft 3):

Uther: "Damn it, what are these curs up to?", "Damn that boy!", What, were you hoping to piss on them one last time before you left his kingdom to rot?", "I dearly hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for you, Arthas".
    Necromancer: "You best draw back to your senile father and await the end of your reign".
    Muradin: "Bloody hell!".
    Captain: "To hell with the undead!".
    Arthas: "Damn Uther for forcing me to do this!", "Damn the men!", What the hell is that?", "What the...", "You waste your time, woman", "Damn that woman!", "After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death", "Shut up, you damned ghost".
    Footman: "Damn beasts!", "You bastard!".
    Knight: "You should burn in hell!".
    Gavinrad the Dire: "I knew it was a mistake to accept a spoiled prince into our order!".
    Sylvanas: "Damn you monsters!", "Give my regards to hell, you son of a bitch".
    Thrall: "What the hell is going on here?", "To hell with your apologies!", "I don't want to keep the bastard waiting".
    Archimonde: "The Legion has returned to consume this world, woman", "Fools!", "Find her, damn you!".
    Satyr: "Wretched fools!", "I think not, woman".
    Naga: "Wretched woman", "Quickly, you fools!".
    Gul'dan: "Spineless cowards!", "Blasted, feeble-minded weaklings!".
    Malfurion: "Just who is the betrayer now, woman?".
    Kael'thas: "Insolent son of a… Let's get this over with!".
    Garithos: "Those brainless dwarves are almost more trouble then they're worth!", "Can't you idiots follow simple orders? There's a war on, and you louts are off having a picnic!".
    Varimathras: "Watch your tongue, human dog".
    Rifleman: "They don't pay us enough to put up with that asshole", "Don't even try it, ye bastard!".
    Nazgrel: "Come, human dogs!".

Now, go to 7:00 and tell me the Night Warrior purification ritual is not cringy:

Enough with the PG-13 stuff. I don't know how you can get excited from dialogues in game that are strictly polite. It feels like kids' TV show worth of dialogues. Really...
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-06-26 at 09:38 AM.

What? How is it weird and out of place coming from Garrosh? That's exactly what i would expect from him. Removing it is downgrading the speech in the game. I've had enough with this censorship type of language, where everybody has to speak about peace and harmony while refraining from using foul language. Even characters that are best suited for such lines such as Garrosh, Sylvanas, Varian, Arthas and so on.

Enough with the PG-13 stuff. I don't know how you can get excited from dialogues in game that are strictly polite. It feels like kids' TV show worth of dialogues. Really...
    What are you even on about? Are you complaining about the language being used or the subject matter being discussed, because those are two different things.

The word "bitch" is out of place for WoW in general, not Garrosh specifically. Injecting it in doesn't make a line better, just like adding in "fuck", "shit", "cunt", "bastard", "asshole", etc. doesn't automatically elevate dialogue to a higher tier of quality. You don't NEED any of those words to convey emotions like anger or excitement. Bad writing is just bad writing, regardless of how many bad words you put in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't wanna sound like a negative andy about WoW because I love the game, but I do think the lore has become so butchered, and retconned, with retcon upon retcon with no consistent lore, it seems like every expansion there's a new retcon, Blizzard cannot keep with the lore they crated, its like they have no faith in their own storytelling that they gotta keep changing it. The Chronicle books came out and already they are being retconned and altered. Thats not to say all the lore has been bad, WoW has gave us some great lore, I enjoyed a lot of the later stuff too, especially the Jaina story arc in BfA.

Personally I would rather they bury the franchise at this point. WoW has basically become what the Simpsons became after 15 years its lost it's idenity (whatever that is at this point). And like WoW, I still love the Simpsons but I just don't like where its going and attempting to turn it back just furthers the issues.

Warcraft is a franchise built off the backs of people no longer in the company. It should also retire and go. Start a new fantasy world and make your own universe instead of building on top of the old one again and again. Warcraft feels like a used toy at this point, a used toy with an eye missing, the right arm is hanging off and the head is lose and the feet have been glued and the body is cracked from where someone threw it up against the wall.

I have been into this franchise since 1994, there's no shame in letting it go now.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-06-26 at 09:23 PM.