Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Isn't that just fearmongering?
    No, that's practicality and understanding that there's a rise in hate crimes against Asians.

Isn't that just fearmongering?
    It can already be frightening to be alone at night. Particularly when you're female. Particularly when hate crimes against your specific race are on the rise.

There's nothing odd about her being fearful under these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, that's practicality and understanding that there's a rise in hate crimes against Asians.
    But you're judging the person as dangerous before you know who they are

Ok...and it seems her fears were well founded?

Ok...and it seems her fears were well founded?
    Every man that approaches you is violent? (how did she know he was dangerous, being prejudice/superstition?)

Every man that approaches you is violent? (how did she know he was dangerous, being prejudice/superstition?)
    I mean, if some rando comes up to me at 1AM looking to bum a cig I'll totally offer it, but I'll also be pretty cautious. It's fairly reasonable.

Seems like you're on a mission to say she's a racist without saying she's a racist.

So what you're saying is no one should be wary of strangers and err one the side of caution.

Can you send me your address because clearly you must leave your doors unlocked at night lest you be accused of thinking everyone is a thief. Seriously do you even read what you are saying?

I mean, if some rando comes up to me at 1AM looking to bum a cig I'll totally offer it, but I'll also be pretty cautious. It's fairly reasonable.

Seems like you're on a mission to say she's a racist without saying she's a racist.
    I mean basic common sense says when stranger approaches you alone at night, especially as a woman, you should be careful. And the readily available statistics Raybourne ignores confirm that. And yet the issue at hand to him is that the woman who was attacked was wary of the man who attacked her before he attacked.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

My inclination is he was drunk or homeless, as I noted in my first comment. There's not much other reason (other than prejudice against sex/race) to be fearful of a random person on the street (even then).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    So what you're saying is no one should be wary of strangers and err one the side of caution.

Can you send me your address because clearly you must leave your doors unlocked at night lest you be accused of thinking everyone is a thief. Seriously do you even read what you are saying?
    I mean, I literally just said you should be cautious. "Do you read what you are saying" LOL - do you read what others (the person you're quoting) are saying?

I mean basic common sense says when stranger approaches you alone at night, especially as a woman, you should be careful. And the readily available statistics Raybourne ignores confirm that. And yet the issue at hand to him is that the woman who was attacked was wary of the man who attacked her before he attacked.
    Okay, what are the stats that show that the majority of cases where a woman is approached by a man at night, end in assault?

I mean, I literally just said you should be cautious. "Do you read what you are saying" LOL - do you read what others (the person you're quoting) are saying?

Okay, what are the stats that show that the majority of cases where a woman is approached by a man at night, end in assault?
    I just linked you some stats above. Do you read? The direct link is to the article. At best it's two mouse clicks and a few mouse scrolls. And why does it have to be a majority for it to be a valid concern? Again do you not lock your doors at night? If so please let me know your address!

And I did read what you said. 2% was lip service about being careful and women should be cuatious and then 95% has been about undermining the woman being careful qnd making excuses for the man who literally has been confirmed to have attacked her. Like when you half assedly compared her actions "fear mongering" when you know for a fact that mean proceeded to attack her.

So if you do one tiny baby cover your ass bit of lip service into women being understandably wary about strange men approaching them late at night and start churning out excuses, what ifs, and defenses of the man who attacked her excuse me for thinking your attempt to cloak your shitty opinions didn't slip by me.

Since when did something have to be a majority of icnident in order to warrant caution that she showed by declining to give him a cigarete and walking away? Why do you take bigger issue with how she was feeling and thinking than what the man who literally fucking attacked her was thinking and feeling?

Again I'd just love to have your address. You can trust me. I know you keep your doors unlocked at night lest you dare imply I am a thief.

My inclination is he was drunk or homeless, as I noted in my first comment. There's not much other reason (other than prejudice against sex/race) to be fearful of a random person on the street (even then).
    The fact that even you admit he was drunk is 10000% a valid reason for a woman to be cautious of a strange man approaching her late at night. So again, please explain what exactly you expect to achieve from your belittling of the woman and full throated defense and excuse making of the man who attacked her?

In terms of effort expended I'd only expect more effort on the man's behalf questioning the woman than you've given from his defense attorney.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-06-18 at 11:09 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Must be a slow news day. It's a terrible event and the perpetrator should be jailed. But someone getting an ear laceration isn't really a conversation starter. So what's the point of this thread?
    You're supposed to use it as evidence if it supports your political cause, or try and shove it under a rug if it doesn't. That's all political and race based discussion is now. We are far past the point of compromise. We'd have had a shooting war already if it wasn't for HBO and Amazon junk delivery 24/7. Our lives are too comfortable to actually fight for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, hate crimes against Asians have literally never been uncommon in this country. It goes all the way back to the overt and obvious racism against Chinese immigrants in the 19th Century, and racism against Asians was done at the federal government's behest during World War 2.

Are there even any minorities here that *haven't* been subjected to systemic racism? Honestly, if you are a minority in America it's probably sensible to have taken or be actively taking some form of self-defense courses and/or carrying some means of self-defense.

That said, the article makes this sound less like a hate crime and more of a mundane crime that happens to include a slur. Said asshole likely would have assaulted any woman, regardless of her race, and would have used whatever slur was appropriate if they weren't white.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

There's nothing wrong with doing that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Why aren't people feeling bad for the violent idiot who attacked this woman for no reason?"

This woman had her Spidey-sense triggered with good reason and was fearful of a guy who ended up viciously attacking her unprovoked. That's all well and good, but won't someone PLEASE think of the poor man who was (fairly) judged? Oh wait, we already have someone thinking of him.

This attack was not done by a white person.
    It must be so nice being such a protected demographic that you can just attack women and you still get swept under the rug No wonder the rooftop koreans were packing a lot of heat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    To be fair, hate crimes against Asians have literally never been uncommon in this country. It goes all the way back to the overt and obvious racism against Chinese immigrants in the 19th Century, and racism against Asians was done at the federal government's behest during World War 2.
    On this day nearly 40 years ago...

On June 19, 1982, two Chrysler workers, a plant supervisor named Ronald Ebens and his laid-off stepson Michael Nitz, beat a Chinese-American draftsmen named Vincent Chin to death in the parking lot of a strip club in Highland Park, Michigan. This was the peak of the anti-Asian racism that accompanied the decline in auto employment and the rise of Japanese imports.

Chin was born in Guangdong Province in 1955. He was placed in an orphanage. His adopted father was Chinese-American, giving him the right to bring a Chinese child into the U.S., and adopted the boy in 1961. He grew up in the Detroit suburbs, got a job as an industrial draftsman for an auto supplier, and made money on the side working weekends at a Chinese restaurant. In 1982, he was about to be married to his long-time girlfriend Vikki Wong and as per stupid men, had his bachelor party at a local strip club.

Evidently, the fight started when a woman was dancing for Chin and the whites made some remark about it. According to Ebens, later interviewed by Michael Moore (really?) about the incident, Chin said, “Don’t pay any attention to those little fuckers, they wouldn’t know a good dancer if they’d seen one.” Eyewitnesses later said that Ebens stated, “It’s because of you little motherfuckers that we’re out of work.” They started fighting on the floor and were kicked out.

Of course Chin was not Japanese. He was Chinese. But when did that stop idiots?

And so these assholes saw Vincent Chin again. Nitz needed stiches after the fight. Ebens was driving his son-in-law to the hospital. Chin and his friends were in the parking lot of the local McDonald’s. Ebens saw them and decided to get his revenge. He and Nitz were disgusted by his presence at the strip club. And when Chin stood up for himself, they started shouting racial epithets at him, and then beat him to death in the parking lot with a baseball bat, with Ebens taking the lead. Everyone was drunk, of course. Ebens just bashed Chin’s head in repeatedly.

Ebens and Nitz were charged with second-degree murder. Civil rights charges were not filed, evidently because of the drinking and general idiocy on both sides. Two off-duty cops witnessed the beatings. They were inside the McDonald’s, rushed out, and showed their badges, but Ebens didn’t stop. By this point, Chin had fled into the road. One of the cops later told a newspaper reporter that Ebens “was just pounding him in the head like he was hitting a golf ball.” They arrested Ebens. But no one took the killing very seriously. These were just good white boys having a bad night. They pleaded down to manslaughter, got no jail time, and had to pay $3,000 in fines. The judge, Charles Kaufman, stated, “These weren’t the kind of men you send to jail… You don’t make the punishment fit the crime; you make the punishment fit the criminal.” Remember, they had beaten a man to death based on his race.

The nation’s Asian-American community was furious at the verdict. Finally, after intensive lobbying, the government filed civil rights charges against Ebens and Nitz. A 1984 case found Nitz innocent, but Ebens guilty and he was sentenced to 25 years in prison. However, he would only serve about 2 years. The verdict was thrown out after it an improper prosecution contact with a witness was revealed. The 1987 retrial saw Ebens acquitted.

The only thing I find odd that racial slur will somehow become the bigger problem than the attacking part. I mean.. attacking.. way worse..

Or at least I am sure what the debate will boil down to. What a person said, which is horrible in its own right, being worse than you know.. attacking someone physically.

Slightly off topic, but why is it AAPI? No one with even a kernel of understanding of the region thinks there is a common shared culture? Just asking as someone annoyed to be roped into the cause du jour.

Haven't ever been attacked, but I've been harassed before. My work takes me out to middle of nowhere towns, so I've had two idiots at a convenience store behind me, giggling and going "CHING CHONG CHING CHONG", while pulling their eyes to the side. Nothing's happened during COVID, but when I first went to one mall in town after lockdowns ended, people were giving me like a 30 ft berth, like I just blast viruses at them in every direction.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    People are just upset that it's being reported on because it undermines their argument that it doesn't exist.