Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    That's what i did back in 2007, the first thing i did was not even to go through the portal on the level 60 i had, i made a new alt and went 1-70.

But i don't understand why i feel so much stress and preasure nowdays..

What changed? It's the same game after all
    Retail WoW Changed and your attitude changed with it.

Hey.

Sorry for "Blog" post as some might call it, Please do skip it if these sort of threads annoy or "Offend" you in some way.

I want to play TBC, I want to Enjoy TBC.

But for some reason seeing all the 280% mounts and full BiS geared (Mages who already have all the tailoring pieces)

Just makes me feel stressed out and "Behind", like "What's the point?" "I'm never going to be good enough, since i'm so slow"

But I don't know why i feel like this, I did not feel like this at the start of 2019 Classic or back in Original TBC.
    I think you need a different game because gaming shouldn't stress anyone out. Let me say that I've been playing wow since 11/23/2004 and all of the expansions since. TBC is my favorite of all the expansions and I played it up to and including Sunwell progression. I'm playing TBCC and I just dinged 70 last night and am having some of the best time playing and leveling in a long time. There is no point in TBCC aside from having fun. If you wanted it to be progression and an achievement, you should've played in 2007. The game as it's playing now in TBCC is not at all like it was back then. The glory is over and the glory is over in TBCC also because all of the content was cleared in the first 12 hours.

You were expecting something that doesn't exist I'm afraid and if you're not having fun you need to re-evaluate what fun means to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Sadly the community managed to ruin classic by demanding players to rush ahead and be optimal and minmax everything,and all that stuff.
    Completely false and inflammatory.

I remember when Cata launched, I went down and bought the game at midnight, went home and launched it. I had been hoping to fly in Silvermoon, alas we still can't, but I digress. When I logged in it was about 2 AM and I was seeing World First - Herbing (or whatnot) go by. How long did it take people to clear TBC stuff? One day or so. It took these guys quite a while to prepare to get this, so why not enjoy the ride and who cares about them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    If you're stressed about other people beating you in a videogame you should probably consult a therapist and not these forums.
    Yes the people you're playing with in an Mass Multiplayer game shouldn't affect you at all.

It's not that simple, community affects these games whether you claim it doesn't (for you) or not. And being cognizant of this player generated FOMO doesn't really help it, once you're behind, even your own friends tend to leave you behind because their time is now monopolized by the bigger things in the game. It IS stressful, and catching up like you used to when being extremely op and ahead was considered the nerdy sweaty thing to do (having once been a nerdy sweaty above average player and seen the other side) rather than 'efficient and proper way' is ...well yes, it's going to cause undue stress to those who do want to play the game slower but still succeed at finishing raids or pvp goals.

People are on this forum to talk about the game and the problems or good surrounding it. I suggest you take a walk to the therapist if you can't see where the differences in pace set by the community have changed the games surrounding culture.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

5+ Year Old Account
    You are suffering from similar thing I have and It's called procrastinating. Just take it easy, don't compare yourself to anyone. Just play for fun. It's okay to be behind. Eventually you will get there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just makes me feel stressed out and "Behind", like "What's the point?"
    Well, there's a cap on how far you can go in TBC so if you arrive late to the party you can still arrive. There's no sin in not being as quick to level and gear up as anyone else and those that make that an issue should go into an ignore list.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Well, there's a cap on how far you can go in TBC so if you arrive late to the party you can still arrive. There's no sin in not being as quick to level and gear up as anyone else and those that make that an issue should go into an ignore list.
    That's a great point. I wonder if this is a TBC mentality or a gamer/wow mentality. In TBC I ran a successful guild and raid. There were a couple of raiders that, for personal reasons couldn't make the raid times regularly so we wound up replacing them with people who's schedules matched the guild...the replaced raiders were furiously insulted at a personal level.

To this day I still don't understand. They had a family, kids, medical appointments, work, all that conflicted. Yet, it's a personal insult that the raids are tues and wednesday and you can't make them? Like, really. Think about it. It's not a personal thing AT ALL. You simply don't have the time to put into the game like others. Why is that such an insulting thing?

That's what i did back in 2007, the first thing i did was not even to go through the portal on the level 60 i had, i made a new alt and went 1-70.

If you were an early teen back then and are in your late 20s or 30s now then you are just naturally more competitive and real life stress creeps into your game more. Try to consider the game an escape, not a proving ground, at the end of the day it's just a video game.

I feel the opposite way because my priorities is the other way around. When I raided hardcore back then I felt the pressure. I still had lots of fun, of course, but if I wanted to raid at highest level I had to put the effort in.

Nowadays? I feel I can do whatever I want, because I treat it as such and dont play at the highest level.

I changed, people change. It's not more complex than that. That is my point with the rambling above.

When you say Dark Portal, 2007, thanks, it reminds me once more how the game was for me then. Still very fresh, Outland, Illidan, Black Temple, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, Nagrand, Mana Tombs, Sunwell... Good times

I thought I wanted TBC Classic, but no, going to let the memories be. Been there done that I guess. I think I did, but I didn't.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2021-06-20 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    If you're stressed about other people beating you in a videogame you should probably consult a therapist and not these forums.
    What a dramatic response

Hey.

Sorry for "Blog" post as some might call it, Please do skip it if these sort of threads annoy or "Offend" you in some way.

But for some reason seeing all the 280% mounts and full BiS geared (Mages who already have all the tailoring pieces)

Just makes me feel stressed out and "Behind", like "What's the point?" "I'm never going to be good enough, since i'm so slow"

But I don't know why i feel like this, I did not feel like this at the start of 2019 Classic or back in Original TBC.
    Don't compare yourself to others. Just do your own thing. You will be much happier that way. You're not behind. Some people are maniacs and play many, many, many hours. You don't have to keep up with those people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I wonder if this is a TBC mentality or a gamer/wow mentality.
    I think the latter. Blizzard developers have discussed this "feeling I'm behind" and need to catch-up mentality a number of times. Seems as if it's sort of pervasive in games like this.

If you go back in time though TBC was a sort of special case in this with the progression raiding meta. If you joined up in the middle of BC or later you were generally always going to have a rougher go of it because you really were behind and there were few ways to catch up at the time. Blizzard changed that, a change that some are still bitching about by adding catch-up mechanics in Wrath. Variations of those mechanics are still with us today and won't be going away any time soon.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I'll never understand why people keep treating WoW like it's some kind of competitive race to "beat the game" as fast as possible.

It's not retail, it's not designed to be rushed through and cleared asap, it's designed to be a slow and steady journey. Stop treating it like a speedrun.
    It's not designed to be slow. It's designed to be played at the pace you want to play it at. If you like to race, great. If you don't, also great.

Hey.

If it makes you feel any better I also dont understand why it stresses you out so much lol

I mean so what if people have those things before you?are you in some kind of race with a prize?is them having those things taking something away from you? can you not obtain those things also?

This reminds me of all those ''dads'' with ''jobs'' and ''kids'' and ''a life'' that made angry posts about pre patch being to short and how they dont have the time to be ready for tbc and will always be behind

but....once tbc launches...do their kids leave for college and they quit their busy jobs and all of a sudden can be up to date cutting edge?

I think you simply bought in to the yolo feel too much. Bear with me, I'm not blaming you.

What are your goals in the game? What makes you have fun?

If its stuff not dependant on gear, like leveling or 5 mans, then you're already in the clear.

If its pvp, its a reasonably self contained system due to resilience so you can easily catchup there too.

But even if its raiding, the only option that truly requires great gear, you can just join a guild thats just starting. Sure you'll clear everything later than the world first, but thats 99% of us anyway.

Tbc content isnt new so you wont get stomped forever the way mythic guilds do today when a new tier is out, and you have plenty of time to do it.

So way i see it, there is zero reason for stress. Early expansions didn't have much reason to stress. Enjoy the game as you want.

Hey.

You have to make peace with the fact that some people have a lot of time available to play and focus on you enjoying the game with people that play at a similar pace. Or if you have a lot of time, well .. get better? I have made around 9k gold since tbc launched and I have a single char that I play.

Do you also get depressed when world firsts are achieved? Cause that is very similar. There always were and always will be people who get ahead. When guilds like Nihilum and D&T were scoring world firsts in original tbc, most people couldn't clear heroics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I'll never understand why people keep treating WoW like it's some kind of competitive race to "beat the game" as fast as possible.

It's not retail, it's not designed to be rushed through and cleared asap, it's designed to be a slow and steady journey. Stop treating it like a speedrun.
    It's designed to play at the pace you want and can.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-06-20 at 08:22 PM.

The modern retail wow is designed to make you feel that way. It’s a predatory design no different from addictive mobile games. That predatory design has rearranged your psyche around the game to the point where even classic is ruined for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think the latter. Blizzard developers have discussed this "feeling I'm behind" and need to catch-up mentality a number of times. Seems as if it's sort of pervasive in games like this.

If you go back in time though TBC was a sort of special case in this with the progression raiding meta. If you joined up in the middle of BC or later you were generally always going to have a rougher go of it because you really were behind and there were few ways to catch up at the time. Blizzard changed that, a change that some are still bitching about by adding catch-up mechanics in Wrath. Variations of those mechanics are still with us today and won't be going away any time soon.
    WoW is the only similar game like this though, at least along the more popular games. FF14 doesn’t do this. ESO doesn’t do this. Most other games have adopted evergreen designs where content never gets deprecated and there isn’t much to miss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    That's a great point. I wonder if this is a TBC mentality or a gamer/wow mentality. In TBC I ran a successful guild and raid. There were a couple of raiders that, for personal reasons couldn't make the raid times regularly so we wound up replacing them with people who's schedules matched the guild...the replaced raiders were furiously insulted at a personal level.

To this day I still don't understand. They had a family, kids, medical appointments, work, all that conflicted. Yet, it's a personal insult that the raids are tues and wednesday and you can't make them? Like, really. Think about it. It's not a personal thing AT ALL. You simply don't have the time to put into the game like others. Why is that such an insulting thing?
    Because they thought you were friends, and you thought they were employees.

It’s certainly possible they were being unreasonable, but that’s still the dynamic at play.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I subbed 1 week after TBC released and started a fresh Draenei Shaman. I am now lvl 43 and go pretty slow imo. Doing ineffective green quests because I don't mind getting low XP and enjoy the easy combat that goes with doing green quests. Once 9.1 arrives I will be even slower because I am most likely just gonna remove rested XP once in a while. Also downloading the FF14 trial version to see how this game is. Wish I had more time!

Hey.

It felt like it took people forever back in the day because none of us had ever really... did it. But now. You have 10 years or so of people playing private servers, min-maxing everything, making everything as efficient as possible. Spreadsheets of what to stockpile, where to farm it, whole guilds pitching in, etc. They can release classic versions of everything if they want, but it will never, ever, be remotely close to how it was. It comes down to an issue with the playerbase, and it will always be an issue when the content has its ins and outs known, planned, etc.

TLDR: Bruh, just play the game and have fun. You will not ever, ever, be close to being the best. Don't sweat it. There will always be the guy who takes the game super serious, spends all day playing it, can farm endlessly, etc. You will not ever beat these guys if you have a normal life. Just enjoy the content.