Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think the video is aimed more at losing your friends in the game because they got tired of playing instead of another doomer video. Yeah, WoW (retail) has made some pretty questionable decisions that made a lot of people quit, but it's also old as fuck. And most of us on this forum are also old as fuck. Gaming isn't the same as "the good old days" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    I mean, same happened with Bellular IIRC. People change, and so can their views towards a company like Blizzard.

Or they always felt that way from the start and merely "played nice" to get their content official for a period of time
    I mean, Carbot Animations artstyle is featured in official Blizzard games, heck there's even an entire SC:1 "mod" (or whatever you want to call it) that changes the entire game to fit his artstyle.

He's really not on the same level as a content creator that gets some interviews when Blizzard chooses, i assume the guy has some actual contractual partnership with Blizzard.

So yeah, he's potentially burning some bridges here.

And it also needs to be said, the channel usually does not take a stance towards these things and is concerned more with making parodies of, among other things, Blizzard games but not in bad faith.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-06-20 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Yes, because you can simply buy it. That's the point. xD
    The point of what? Character progression before max level is meaningless. Whether you can buy a boost or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    The point of what? Character progression before max level is meaningless. Whether you can buy a boost or not.
    Not sure what game you're playing, but I'm guessing it wasn't Vanilla or TBC. lol
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "he has made nothing but positive videos in the past"
    thats a flat out fucking lie, do you even watch his content? its most of the time never fucking positive, its always joking about how buggy or broken things are, how unbalanced and annoying stuff in the game is, his diablol 2 videos are literally a massive complition of diablo 2's faults.
    of course he mixes that with comedy, but i know for a fact you dont watch his content if you think all his videos are "positive"

and yeah, he doesent have a problem, but most people dont have a problem making money, but people want more.
    And that’s why he’s basically burning bridges with Blizzard and will lose a lot of money in the process. Sure man. That completely makes sense.

I have no idea why it’s so hard for some people to even comprehend that there are people who have different opinions about something and sometimes they use creative means to express themselves. It’s called being passionate about something. It’s not always just because of money, fame or stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Not sure what game you're playing, but I'm guessing it wasn't Vanilla or TBC. lol
    Were you one of those dudes that needed to either be 5+ levels higher or geared to the teeth to do solo content? I guess for you character progression before max level mattered.

Who gives a fuck about getting some rare item at level 35, literally irrelevant at max level when you're doing any content that matters.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fucking weirdo

Imagine seeing this video only to start nitpicking and "arguing" against it as if it was presenting some kind of coherent argument. Does it get any more defensive than this?
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Imagine seeing this video only to start nitpicking and "arguing" against it as if it was presenting some kind of coherent argument. Does it get any more defensive than this?
    It's MMO champ, it's mostly a place for fanbois anymore. No actual discussion can take place. It's literally one dude making a video about his own experiences and it's being ripped apart.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    True only hardcore gamers beat hardcore endgame content like MC. This is the only thing that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    It's MMO champ, it's mostly a place for fanbois anymore. No actual discussion can take place. It's literally one dude making a video about his own experiences and it's being ripped apart.
    The truth has been spoken. This thread is a proof of that.

Great video. Sadly people always try to make it about them because they do that whole putting themselves at the center of the universe thing but it is probably just how the creator feels. Hard to say that how he feels is right or wrong unless you some how have invested your identity into what his opinion of WoW is.. and if that is the case.. find help fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    we actually do know, total MUA have been falling while wow kept going up.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...-Investor-Call
    Facts are not welcome here! Or do you wish to be called a "shill", the 200 IQ response from people without actual arguments to back up their frankly unhealthy anger??

The latest quarterly also had only good things to say and spelled out growth for WoW, but that doesn't count because reasons. Unofficial sources that agree with the feels of the angry on the other hand? They're are simply too soothing to ignore for the crowd invested in screaming bloody murder about WoW's death since *checks notes*... 2005.

Not sure why the video in the OP became such a hot topic though, I gotta say.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-06-20 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    More like "oh shit there's easy money to be made"
    *Jumps on band wagon*.
    You do realise that he's risking his contract with Blizzard by doing this?
    A contract that is a lot more stable than Youtube ad revenue? If he was just in it for the money he would have never done such a thing,way too risky

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    You have no idea right. Nothing but speculation. All we know for a fact is that they lost players, while all the competition gained players. A lot of players. Trying to find excuses for why the company failed is kinda silly.
    Except you are the one doing that... You are speculating it's wow, when the rest of us know for a fact, those reasons above...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Actually, you can buy a boost from Blizzard to 50 and then buy a boost from other players to 60. So yes, you can buy boosts from 1-60.

- - - Updated - - -

You can fix it by doing something like a social ilvl. If you manually form groups outside of LFR / dungeon finder and complete dungeons with people on your server, you get points. Earn enough points and you are eligible for loot drops next week. Fail to earn enough points and you can still run stuff next week but you get no loot.
    60 is no longer the cap, And in the video he shows it as a max level on retail not classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Does he just use the photoshop/editing programs paint filter for the box art of the real thing or did he actually make em? Also if he can make stuff look that good why is the rest of the art shit?

Also its funny how he makes it seem like it's cash shop mounts and boosts that made every single player quit. Not a single person I knew that quit did so because of those things it was always real life or went to a game that require less time investment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahcake View Post
    And that’s why he’s basically burning bridges with Blizzard and will lose a lot of money in the process. Sure man. That completely makes sense.

I have no idea why it’s so hard for some people to even comprehend that there are people who have different opinions about something and sometimes they use creative means to express themselves. It’s called being passionate about something. It’s not always just because of money, fame or stuff like that.
    I don't think you know how it works. Speaking asmon and bellualar are still in blizzards favor, I doubt this will make him no longer in blizzards favor...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

its funny you bring up the 12 million subs, cause wow had 12 million subs at the PEAK of MTX, as wotlk/cata introduced the most MTX of any expansion.
    it's a long story. it took me like what. 8 years to see the whole picture? you can't put all of that in a forum post. what you can do - if you really want to know - then you can watch Asmongold's twitch channel. he has got pretty well thought out explanations around the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You cant say
    "facts show" and "If you look at X you will find" then say later "its just my opinion" if you make STATEMENTS instead of OPINIONS that shit is worthless.
    You cant say "fact's show" then follow that up with an opinion, facts do not show that.
    there are no facts in game design. games are entertainment and that is subjective. all you can do is read and read and read some more until you understand the PoV of as many players as possible. once that is done you can start forming your own opinion on the subject, in this case mtx in mmos.

edit: if you don't have the time for that - which most people don't - then what you can do is look at the video in question and go: okay 50.000 likes means 50.000 people out there agree with the message of the video. next step would be to find a similar video that champions mtx in mmos. if that videos gets the same amount of support or even more then we know that the community is indeed split on the subject. until that happens the only rationale is to look at these 50.000 gamers and go 'okay there is a problem'.
    Last edited by Rinnegan2; 2021-06-20 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I saw this on Reddit front page this morning, thought it was pretty nice. The reactions were very kind and thoughtful.

I see this on MMO-Champ tonight. The reactions are toxic and cynical.

Hopefully when WoW finally dies, this community goes along with it.

It's fine if you don't agree with Carbot. But the level of negativity, the complete inability by some posters to accept any of the criticism, and to pretend it's just because people "got old"? It's pretty pathetic.

The truth is a game doesn't go from 12 million subs to < 2 million subs because of a series of good changes. But there are some of you who will pretend there's no fault with the game right up until either it dies or you die.
    My thoughts as well. It is absolutely pathetic how petty some people here are for Carbot even daring to suggest that many of the monetisation services and items, anti-social systems, and gameplay changes have lowered the quality of the game to the point of being completely unrecognizable from what made WoW the juggernaut that it was in the past.

Shadowlands to me is the expansion which made me completely apathetic to the future of the game. BfA surely started my disdain towards modern WoW, but I held out hope that the devs would start to listen to players in Shadowlands. However, after having to deal with the ridiculously low amount of content, overly complex systems that have been a complete waste of development time, and the sheer hubris of the developers that keep insisting that they know better when they clearly don't, I am now at a point where I likely will not return to the game unless they somehow manage to release another Legion. Though with the current leadership I have next to no hope of that ever happening.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2021-06-21 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I'll say is this: If boosts, dungeon finder and in-game stores didn't have reprecussions, they'd have been in the game much earlier than they were, nor would they have been a gradual implementation. I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong about wanting the game to be a certain way, I'm saying that it's not strange a bulk of players don't support it. Stop acting like it's crazy that people don't like it.
    well said, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The truth is a game doesn't go from 12 million subs to < 2 million subs because of a series of good changes. But there are some of you who will pretend there's no fault with the game right up until either it dies or you die.
    If only you people could ever cite a source for them numbers.

Guess what? The game was losing millions of players during its peak too. It was just that enough players were coming in to offset the losses and to set the record. SL has been cited as "seeing numbers not seen in a decade (Cata) and has been cited showing nothing but growth from OFFICIAL sources, yet here's people somehow privvy to numbers not shared officially?

MoP had pretty much everything that the game has now in terms of store and QOL, it held 5 million during a 14-month drought. WoD saw plummets to 4 million due to its lack of CONTENT, then came Legion.

People thinking that the scale has only moved downward through expansion launches and patches, muddy the waters. The most apparent disconnect between what people on these forums say vs what's going on, being the quarterlies throughout BfA.

We've only got GROWTH, or DECREASE. Cold hard numbers as "2 million subs" or "10 million subs", are guesswork and as such, useless in the end.

So yes, whilst I'm sympathetic to people taking issue with design philosophies and needless additions to the game, as I do, it'd have a much better impact I think if people such as yourself stopped blurting numbers that a) nobody's got access to nowadays and b) are pulled from the ass of 3rd party sources.

Just my 2 cents on why it always derails, same as whenever someone uses the D-word. Nobody would be happier than myself if SL took a nosedive in player engagement, as that could MAYBE spark a rework and design philosophy change for 10.0, but I'm still holding out for it as of the latest Quarterly.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-06-21 at 12:12 AM.