Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Interesting to a content creator that has actually worked that closely with Blizzard to the point where his artstyle has been in official games to be that critical towards them.
    I mean it's a very honest take. With Classic Blizzard did really well with the community (yes, streamers are part of community in todays gaming environment) and doing AMAs/chatting heaps about their design decisions. Inviting streamers to trial & having momentum behind announcing a launch date. With TBC they've done none of that at all, there was very little pre-announcement hype, the timeframe was very short and they introduced non-classic items if you wanted to pay for them probably because the suits said "we need to make more money off this" and they took steps that are controversial.

The comments dismissing/marginalising people whom consider vanity paid items or paid boosting/buying gold are disappointing although commonplace and generally unmoderated on mmo-champ. Some people love vanity items and buying pets/mounts etc and that's ok. Some people loathe the same and feel it detracts from their playing of the game and that's ok too. Both attitudes/opinions are valid with sound logical & emotional arguments to support those positions.

Its not surprising to see those who enjoy classic and prefer more purist elements to be upset/disappointed with how the corporate arm of Blizzard is letting $$$ get in the way of a purely gaming experience. This video captures the sentiment well and those in Blizzard who are more about the game than the $$ likely empathise/agree with the sentiment. Not ALL of Blizzard is seeking optimal ROI/best qtr yet type outcomes. Some of them just love games.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Can you post the source that shows the amount of classic players and the amount of retail players? Haven't seen that. I assume you mean classic tbc though, Im sure classic is a ghost town now.
    No it isnt.

We assume the data from the FF14 beating WoW article, we can trust these numbers or not but in the latter case so i should not trust any "ehhh classic is a ghost town" when Twitch WoW channel is 90% TBC content.

Btw https://mmo-population.com/activity

PRECOG "It's difficult to track hidden MMO subscriber numbers, but we do our best," SO TAKE IT AS A GRAIN OF SALT

So Classic/TBC is 1.70 milion and Retail is 2.19 -- assuming these data are realistic -- Classic/TBC has 77% of the Retail POP

If you click each MMO you can clearly see:

1. When SL launched and how the draught impacted

2. When TBC Pre patch launched

3. No idea about FF14

------------------------------------------

People are also getting this survey

I mean this must tell us that Blizzard acknowledge there is a problem.
    Last edited by TBCCLOL; 2021-06-22 at 08:58 AM.

I've seen people drift away from the game pretty much since I started playing, in late vanilla.

So whilst it's sad I've pretty much always seen this happen. My first guild collapsed in TBC as so many drifted away. There hasn't been a single expansion where I've not seen some people go. Some people came back, others didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Carbot joining the rtard hate train for wow, not surprising since it makes money, but pretty fucking sad, I'll stop watching his stuff for sure now. He has some points, but almost all the shit he pointed out as "bad" are things people literally begged and whined and petitioned for till they got (and they did make the game better).

The game changed, sure but more so most of us changed, we lost the free time we had, grew new interests, found love and jobs, and with the plethora of games dropped near daily its hard to justify playing only wow and never taking a break. Much like the wretched haters that refuse to leave these boards and find happiness, carbot needs to realize that its fine to move on with sticking around and bitching like some bitter ex.
    the game got worse. Period lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    An official version doesn't exist, though
    Up to mid WoD, one exists with three months intervals, so the gaps aren't even that huge.
    as Blizzard no longer releases exact population figures for WoW post-WoD. I have however reviewed a number of these predictive models, and they all pretty much echo the same downward trend as previously illustrated.
    You are free to resort to those when an official no longer exists, my point however does not concern that timeframe, i point out that
    1.An official model exists that does not show these expansion launch spikes / drops until WoD
    2.Even the spikes in unofficial models pre WoD are not compareable with the ones post WoD

I really do not understand why one needs to debate this, spikes of that magnitude did not occur until WoD (or at all) and humoring that "this how WoW always has been" is just not supported by official data.
    I would say that's your own read into what I said, and your own cross to bear, as it were.
    When you write "it's nostalgia fueled" and i understand " it's nostalgia fueled", then i fail to see what is "my own read".
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-06-22 at 09:43 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    This is a huge fallacy - we know what covenants people chose, that is true. What you claim to know, but do NOT know, is WHY people chose the covenant they chose. You are making a wild assumption that it was purely a power based decision, rather than aesthetic/cosmetic, thematic, or enjoyment of the abilities.
    There's nothing fallacious about it. We know what class/covenant combinations currently exist for PvP and PvE. We know what the most powerful class/covenant combinations are. We know what covenants are most flexible between multiple class specs. Assuming that people made decisions that lined up with optimal combinations provided by guides given the covenant popularity is reasonable. Assuming that they instead just coincidentally made decisions that just happened to line up in numbers significant enough to drive certain covenants to being the majority is not reasonable.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Really, have you got a PHD in wow quitting?
    I can tell you my job is LITERALLY to research wow, and even then, i can tell you that you are full of shit.
    But hey its only my job to do research, can you show me your "credentials"
    I mean, I actually do kind of have a PHD in WoW. Thing is though, EVEN IF I know what the majority of WoW players wants, you are still entitled to have your own opinion that goes against the current. That's why I said earlier that there are no facts in game design. In game design, all you have are a number of different opinions that X amount of people have. There is one opinion A that the majority of players have (where X is the highest). To find the opinion that most players have you gotta read an exorbitant amount of WoW community posts and complaints. the more time you spend on it the more educated your guess will be and the more likely it is that you know what that opinion A is. But just because A is what most players want, that doesn't mean that it's a fact. It's simply an opinion that Blizzard should follow if they want to maximize their income and make the most amount of players happy.

Now that we got that out of the way, there is still no way for me to conclusively prove that I know what that opinion A is. the only way to find out whether opinion A is indeed the one most players have is to follow opinion A, implement it into the game and then look at the subscription numbers over the following 10 years. if they remove mtx today and the (retail) sub count goes up to 10-12 mio over the next few years, then we'll know that mtx in mmos are indeed not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by TBCCLOL View Post
    I mean this must tell us that Blizzard acknowledge there is a problem.
    I like your reply and that there’s at least some research to look at. I just wanted to say, to this point, that competition analysis is very normal. We do it for our brand against our closest competitors, which are about 18% market share behind us.

I don’t want to detract from your point, or say that FFXIV isn’t a threat; just that the survey itself is standard practice and helps set a baseline for strategic planning.

WoW should be worried about FFXIV’s continued momentum. They get right a lot of the things WoW gets wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    What do you call someone who sees millions of people purchasing a product and considers themselves, by not purchasing the product, more righteous or intelligent?

Here’s a twist: I enjoy the game and spend my money where I feel it’s worthwhile. When I don’t enjoy the game, I don’t play. When I don’t want a service or item, I don’t buy it.

Stop pretending people who buy the products are all some derelicts or sheep, especially if you’re going to go around calling people naive, lmao.
    You repeatedly missed the point ppl are trying to tell you.

If you buy a specific product, especially if a lot of people buy it, it tells the seller that people want these things, so what’s he gonna do? Make more of that product and come up with new types of that product, make it more appealing, make new ways how to sell that product more. One of those ways is to make the game and the items less fun or appealing.

Nobody is telling you that you’re “sheep or derelict”, but you’re supporting this system that’s really not gamer friendly. If it was, you would be able to get those things inside the game and not just via real money. Same thing with the boost, they would make the leveling better and more enjoyable.

If people are buying these things, Blizzard never has to make the game better or future games more appealing, so in the end, you’re “injuring” (as you said before) yourself (because you play this game) and the game. Period.
    Last edited by Mahcake; 2021-06-22 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahcake View Post
    You repeatedly missed the point ppl are trying to tell you.

If you buy a specific product, especially if a lot of people buy it, it tells the seller that people want these things, so what’s he gonna do? Make more of that product and come up with new types of that product, make it more appealing, make new ways how to sell that product more. One of those ways is to make the game and the items less fun or appealing.

Nobody is telling you that you’re “sheep or derelict”, but you’re supporting this system that’s really not gamer friendly. If it was, you would be able to get those things inside the game and not just via real money. Same thing with the boost, they would make the leveling better and more enjoyable.

If people are buying these things, Blizzard never has to make the game better or future games more appealing, so in the end, you’re “injuring” (as you said before) yourself (because you play this game) and the game. Period.
    It's very friendly too me on the retail side of things I have multiboxed for quite awhile and basically thanks to the token everything is free.

And on the classic side there was a 0% chance I would play tbc without a boost as classic leveling is a cess pit of "press w" for 50 hours.

Blizzard is making more profits > means people are buying the products > means maybe just maybe people want these things in game.

If no one was buying them they wouldn't be there or wouldn't be added on too I guess.

Microtransactions are one of the best things to happen to gaming. I'm a working adult with disposable income, maybe if I was broke stuck in a basement all day I'd be upset too.
    Last edited by Caerrona; 2021-06-22 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    It's very friendly too me on the retail side of things I have multiboxed for quite awhile and basically thanks to the token everything is free.

And on the classic side there was a 0% chance I would play tbc without a boost as classic leveling is a cess pit of "press w" for 50 hours.

Blizzard is making more profits > means people are buying the products > means maybe just maybe people want these things in game.

If no one was buying them they wouldn't be there or wouldn't be added on too I guess.

Microtransactions are one of the best things to happen to gaming. I'm a working adult with disposable income, maybe if I was broke stuck in a basement all day I'd be upset too.
    As a working adult with disposable income myself I never thought I d live to see the day where someone would openly say this. But then again you are a multiboxing cancer so your opinion hardly counts or reflects that of the average player.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post

If you can’t see how mtxs is a cancer to videogames and how it can affect games as a whole, we have nothing to talk about.

Gamer friendly is buying a game and experiencing all the content it has to offer without spending more additional money. That includes cosmetics.

In your logic, Witcher 3 was not gamer friendly if CDPR released ALL additional content, including new costumes, for free. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    The "value" of "character progression" is purely subjective.
    Do you know what the number that represents your level indicates? Progression. Purely objective here.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wile i would say the decline of retail is due to a thausands cuts over time,the popularity of classic is due in great part for nostalgia and simply because its different
    I really wonder how anyone can still dare to spout the retarded "nostalgia" bullshit.
    It was already a completely idiotic argument years ago. But now after two years of uninterrupted play by a very large audience... WTF ?

People have played the game for two years in a row and we're still down with the "hurr durr it's nostalgia durrrrr" ? Hello, what dimension is this ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I really wonder how anyone can still dare to spout the retarded "nostalgia" bullshit.
    It was already a completely idiotic argument years ago. But now after two years of uninterrupted play by a very large audience... WTF ?

People have played the game for two years in a row and we're still down with the "hurr durr it's nostalgia durrrrr" ? Hello, what dimension is this ?
    I mean clearly if classic / tbc was so much better than retail then it would have more than 5m+ active players, just like back in the day?

Also people took breaks from classic, not sure where you get the idea that people didn't.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Yes but it isn't back then.
    The point is that those things were not absent because people lacked the knowledge or technology, but rather because the company behind the game developed it with a different philosophy.

That philosophy should remain unblemished, because this is what a lot of people care about when they play a game that is from a technological (and in some ways, also design wise) perspective completely outdated in comparison to its modern counterpart.

And that puts aside if one wanted to truly implement this idea, then people should just get a free 58 on TBC Servers, not strings attached, including professions of your choice, for everybody.
    That way, the experience of the TBC Classic servers would truly be about TBC alone, for everybody and not a paid service for a huge time saver.
    I mean clearly if classic / tbc was so much better than retail then it would have more than 5m+ active players, just like back in the day?
    I think the facts that some people do not want to play a game with
    (1) No new content
    (2) completely stale class Meta
    (3) They've already played
    (4) a full monthly sub despite all of the above
    plays a role here.

If Blizzard would actually develop new content and possibly rebalance / redesign certain aspects (with the original philosophy in mind), i think that would be a much better check whether that holds up.
    And frankly, that's actually true other MMO's, such as Runescape, OSRS is bigger than Runescape 3.
    Whether that might also be true for WoW is another story, but even if Classic (TBC) has like 30% of WoW's totalbase, this is still insane considering how little effort Blizzard puts into it.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-06-22 at 01:48 PM.

Also people took breaks from classic, not sure where you get the idea that people didn't.
    By that same logic, I can say that retail would have 5m+ players too if it were good as before, right?

10+ Year Old Account

I mean clearly if retail was so much better then it would keep players from going to TBC / FFXIV / Etc.

Also Blizzard started taking breaks from pushing retail patches, not sure where they get the idea that so few people care that much any more about content in Shadowlands

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TBCCLOL View Post
    No it isnt.

We assume the data from the FF14 beating WoW article, we can trust these numbers or not but in the latter case so i should not trust any "ehhh classic is a ghost town" when Twitch WoW channel is 90% TBC content.

Btw https://mmo-population.com/activity

PRECOG "It's difficult to track hidden MMO subscriber numbers, but we do our best," SO TAKE IT AS A GRAIN OF SALT

https://i.imgur.com/Duz5V2M.png

So Classic/TBC is 1.70 milion and Retail is 2.19 -- assuming these data are realistic -- Classic/TBC has 77% of the Retail POP

If you click each MMO you can clearly see:

1. When SL launched and how the draught impacted

2. When TBC Pre patch launched

3. No idea about FF14
    This “data” isn’t realistic or real by any measure mmo population literally makes up all its number out of thin air which you can see if you compare there reporting with official releases there not even trying to be close.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ....aaaand it ends with more boost/store mount whining, lmao. Inaccurate whining too, since it has "skip to the ending".....leveling 1 character to 58 isn't skipping to the ending.

People will just forever be salty about optional vanity items, won't they?
    The fact that u call them Optional vanity items is the issue. your perspective is too rigid. many people's end game IS vanity, that means THEIR end game content is literally locked behind a paywall, with no content attached. then you have the 58 boosts, which im insanely split on, I hate it being here, Slippery slope argument, and the fact that in Pre-patch u had thousands of mage srunning out ninjaing healing items cuz they have no idea what they are doing, and other similar shenanigans.a but I also know a lot of peoples friends etc simply wouldnt play if it didn't exist, my friends still levelled normally for TBC, and had a great time doing it, Paying to skip content makes no sense to me, but I can still try to respect it regardless and look at the facts that more people will play if it exists, which is a good thing. Personally it takes me out of the game when 10-20 people start spamming the dark portal HS in my AV. its obnoxious to look at. the list goes on, the fact that you refuse to look at it from a more open minded perspective just goes to show why they keep getting away with these literal scams, people are dumb enough to buy it, even though it will harm the game, no matter what, it does make the game worse to buy these items, you are voting with your wallet. how much worse is up to interpretation though.